share how you discovered the music of u2

xtraspicy62

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago I was listening to a group called dc Talk singing "40" and somebody told me it was a U2 song. Then I was listening to a group calledMercy Me singing "Where The Streets Have No Name" and somebody told me is was a U2 song. I thought why I am listening to them do U2 songs when I canlisten to U2 do it. I went to my local Wal-Mart and bought every U2 album in stock. That evening, I was hooked and have never looked back!!!

• Subscriber

The summer/early autumn of 2000, in my summer house near the beach.... they topped the chart that week, so I though I'd give their song a listen(hadn't paid attention to them beforehand).

Once I had heard the song, I wanted to hear it again, and again, and again... and then I wanted to hear their next single, and the next one after that....

• Subscriber

jljoplin wrote:

A few years ago I was listening to a group called dc Talk singing "40" and somebody told me it was a U2 song. Then I was listening to a group called Mercy Me singing "Where The Streets Have No Name" and somebody told me is was a U2 song. I thought why I am listening to them do U2 songs when I can listen to U2 do it. I went to my local Wal-Mart and bought every U2 album in stock. That evening, I was hooked and have never looked back!!!

How many albums was that? happy.gif

• Subscriber

Unofficially, on the radio when I'd first heard I Will Follow. I didn't know who did the song, all I knew is I thought it was great. But I didn'thear it too much after that. It didn't seem that U2 made a big noise initially on US radio. It wasn't until MTV started playing their videos often thatI actually was able to find out who they were.

Later, I remember seeing the New Years Day video and loved the song. It wasn't until MTV aired the "Sunday Bloody Sunday" video that was I suckedin completely. My first U2 album purchase was "Under A Blood Red Sky" and then shortly after I went back and bought "War." I've been afan ever since.

• Subscriber

Unofficially, on the radio when I'd first heard I Will Follow. I didn't know who did the song, all I knew is I thought it was great. But I didn'thear it too much after that. It didn't seem that U2 made a big noise initially on US radio. It wasn't until MTV started playing their videos often thatI actually was able to find out who they were.

Later, I remember seeing the New Years Day video and loved the song. It wasn't until MTV aired the "Sunday Bloody Sunday" video that was I suckedin completely. My first U2 album purchase was "Under A Blood Red Sky" and then shortly after I went back and bought "War." I've been afan ever since.

• Subscriber

when close friend told me about October, I then bought Boy and October , double paper-round that week , soon after War was released . We could'nt getenough , most of our mates liked Rainbow ,Quo , Lizzy and so on , they didn't get it .Still most of them do now just getting them to admit it .

• Subscriber

Well, I'm not entirely sure how old I was but I was pretty young but if I had to guess a year I would say 1984-ish. I remember hearing Sunday Bloody Sundayand New Years Day and seeing the videos on MTV and I really liked what I heard. I wanted the record but my parents were reluctant to purchase an album titled"War" for me at that age. laugh.gif So the first record purchase forme ended up being The Joshua Tree and by then my Dad was also U2 fan so I had free reign to play the album as much and as loud as I wanted. lol I've been abig fan ever since.

My mom bought the "best of 1980-1990" CD for my dad when i was about ten...that was the first time i heard "with or without you", but ofcourse i couldn't appreciate it at the time becuase i was still really into pop then. i put all the songs from the CD on my iPod a couple years ago, but ijust started getting really into U2 this fall, and now i have the majority of their catalog and the rattle and hum movie. i'm now officially obsessed.