vision over visability-what does that mean?

xtraspicy62

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a lyric from "Moment of Surrender" off of the new album. And, perhaps it is an expression of the desire to be able to see--to haveknowledge--rather than just being seen or instead of being seen...maybe a desire to escape from the constant glare of the public gaze?

I certainly would not want to live in it.

• Subscriber

At the moment of surrender

Of vision over visibility

I think it is the moment of awakening, when he realises what he's done with his life, he's contemplating all his life, he can't see anyonesurrounding him and nobody can see what he sees, he is isolated:

I did not notice the passers-bay

And they did not notice me

He gets it for the first time when he's at the ATM machine and he realizes that the stranger's face on the glass is his own face, then he'ssuffering so much pain he compares the stops in the subway to the stations of the cross.

Then Unknown Caller starts, chronologically speaking he 's desperate and isolated, he can't even make the phone call because there's no signal:

I was lost between the midnight and the dawning

In a place of no consequence or company

3:33 when the numbers fell off the clock face

Speed dialling with no signal at all

..... and later:

I was right there at the top of the bottom

On the edge of the known universe where I wanted to be

I had driven to the scene of the accident

And I sat there waiting for me

Then he starts getting the strange calls and he saves himself with their help. I love how the beginning of the song "sunshine, sunshine" ischronologically the end of the story and then we get a long flashback where we we see what happened, I love the sound of the birds singing, they have so muchsense at that moment. I would like they played both songs live during the tour, one after the other I can't imagine one without the other.

• Subscriber

U2.com member michielovesu2 quotes from Rolling Stone's article "U2 Digs Deep" (

http://community.u2.com/Vision-over-visibility-Bono/blog/952/74615.html).

Bono: "It's an idea that I've held on to quite tightly over the years", he says. "It's like Martin LutherKing's speech - the moment when you see the place, but you can't see yet how to get there". Theslogan stands for an insistence on looking past what you can see in favor of what could be. For Bono, the world as it is will never beenough.

I love the phrase, and the meaning... a reminder we don't have to settle for the unacceptable. We can change theworld!

Ms Innes wrote:

U2.com member michielovesu2 quotes from Rolling Stone's article "U2 Digs Deep" (

).

Bono: "It's an idea that I've held on to quite tightly over the years", he says. "It's like Martin Luther King's speech - the moment
when you see the place, but you can't see yet how to get there".
The slogan stands for an insistence on looking past what you can see in favor of what could be.
For Bono, the world as it is will never be enough.

I love the phrase, and the meaning... a reminder we don't have to settle for the unacceptable. We can change the world!

thank you-you just really made my day!smile.gif we can see what isnot yet there...see the unseen...see the possibilities in the world and in everyone. its like see the potential in someone or in a situation, for thegood....yea!