Joshua Tree article in the New York Times

achtungbabyxx

• Subscriber

"One also doesn't doubt that Mr. Eno has helped these young players grow in musicianship and self-awareness. But for their next album, they'd bebetter off without him."

Well, they listened. Jimmy Iovine produced Rattle And Hum. :)

Were they better off? It's debatable. I really like R&H, but for me overall, it isn't the Joshua Tree. Not sure if that has anything to do withthe switch.

u22009 wrote:

"One also doesn't doubt that Mr. Eno has helped these young players grow in musicianship and self-awareness. But for their next album, they'd be better off without him."

Well, they listened. Jimmy Iovine produced Rattle And Hum.
:)

Were they better off? It's debatable. I really like R&H, but for me overall, it isn't the Joshua Tree. Not sure if that has anything to do with the switch.

Its hard to say, I mean, they couldn't make the JT twice, and they felt they had taken that style as far as they could. If R&H had never happened wemay have never gotten AB... Strange to think o fhow things could have turned out.

• Subscriber

The Joshua Tree kicks ass like nobody's business :P But no one would want them to, and they wouldn't want to, try to keep putting out the same kind ofalbum over and over again because it was so great. I can't imagine the kind of lovely complaints we'd hear about how boring and 'safe'they're being if that was the case. A large part of what's great about U2 is that they keep growing and evolving. And part of what is so great aboutthe Joshua Tree is that it's completely unique.

• Subscriber

achtungbabyxx wrote:

I was browsing the Times online and found this article that was written right after The Joshua Tree came out in 1987, amazing how wrong it was, doubting if the album would be successful:

isn't the internet fab?? if it wasn't for the net alot of us wouldn't get to read this bit of history - thanks for posting thearticle link it's greatsmile.gif