Tour: rumors and news

lauretta1979

Was in a national newspaper in Scotland that dates are set in stone for them to be playing Hampden Park in August. It had the leading title about "The

Boss" returning to Scotland for the first time in a long while, which was later confirmed the following few days. Looks like someone in Hampden is filling

everyone in. So fingers crossed!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to scotch those Isle of Wight rumours but Neil Young is headlining the Sunday night of IOW (http://www.nme.com/news/neil-young/43226).

Methinks a couple of dates at the new Wembley Stadium is on the cards, given what the LiveNation chief has said (boy, must he be rubbing his hands and puffingon the fattest cigar right now...I think we all may as well give him a big wad of cash collectively right now!!). I reckon U2 will do something similar to whatthe Foos did and have a stage in the middle of the pitch.

Had to chuckle about the Fratton Park rumour....can just see that...'Streets' being ruined by bloody cowbells!!! ;)

• Subscriber

anyone know of any shows coming to pittsburgh, pa?? i missed them last time and didnt realize how rare a U2 show at Mellon Arena was. and now this tour is a

football stadium tour and i don't even know if Heinz Field does concerts.. the only one i know of was Bon Jovi last year.. im freakin out over here.. if i

dont se them this tour ill go crazy! (if i dont go crazy tonight) haha

I have never seen U2 EVER, I have all their albums, they are one of my all time favorites does anyone here know anything about a US tour and hopefully a visitto Montreal. By the way this is my first time writing on the site,

Johan

• Subscriber

heres some info that might help y'all

Paul McGuinness has been talking to Hot Press about the imminent announcement of U2's world tour, which is likely to include three Croke Park stop-offs inJuly.

"This is going to be a very big tour, the biggest shows we've ever done," he reveals. "We're going to play stadiums only. Footballstadiums. That excludes, for instance, baseball stadiums because the production that we've designed is 360 degrees. It's a stage with the audience onall sides."

Will the stage be in the centre of the arena?

"Not quite in the centre, it will be towards one end of the field in a typical football stadium, so the places we're playing will be tiered footballstadiums; no flat fields, no festivals, no baseball stadiums. Only big, tiered stadiums."

As with previous U2 productions, there's a heavy emphasis on new technology.

"Well, yeah. I mean the engineering to do this, obviously it has to be a freestanding structure that has to support sound, lighting and video. Andthat's never been done before. Some people have performed in the middle of a field or maybe in a stadium on a one-off basis, but this is a touringproduction designed by Mark Fischer and Willie Williams, as usual. We've been talking about it for years, and this is the time we're going to do it. Itwill be necessary to tell people a bit about the production before the tickets go on sale because otherwise they're going to say, 'hold on, that seatis behind the stage'. Now, it's not behind the stage. There is no behind. So we'll be playing to very large capacities and that gives us anopportunity, or we think it's an opportunity, to scale the house in quite a radical way. So I think, when the tour is announced, which will probably be onMarch 9th, certainly we are going to start in Europe, and basically do six weeks in Europe, take a logistical break and then six weeks in North America. Thelarge capacities give us an opportunity to scale the house and have some seats at very low prices, and there will be higher prices as well. But the breadth ofthe scaling will be wider than anyone has ever done in our business. That's kinda news."

Asked about all the Croke Park speculation, McGuinness says: "It's always best to know when you are going to announce it, because there are so manythings affected by this, like hotels and airlines, and there's speculation on those commodities which have nothing to do with us. So we try to bedisciplined about it, otherwise there can be unforeseen circumstances. Also, sometimes with sports facilities that we are looking to use around the world, wehave to wait for sports leagues to resolve. Sometimes if a team loses, such-and-such a stadium becomes available. And all those things are a part of theplanning so it's better to build up to it."

It's Hot Press' understanding that U2 will initially announce two Croke Park shows on July 24 and 25, with the option of a third on July 27 if, asexpected, those sell-out.

Fans hoping for something a little more intimate will be heartened by McGuiness' observation that: "The new O² in Dublin is not what I would call anarena, it's an amphitheatre in layout, but it has the same capacity as an arena, and it's an amazing facility. And this tour is exclusively outdoors,there will be no indoor shows, but I look forward to a tour when we will be indoors again."

cheers ronnimage

brettredmayne wrote:

Oasis were told that no concerts would be allowed at city of manchester stadium so is it a given that U2 will be plaing there.

Not necessarily mate. Eastlands no longer has an ents licence for big gigs (probably due to the fact the barrier cracked during Oasis' gig there! Check itout...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRGdm0-vSqI )

You shouldn't laugh, but Noel is hilarious... image