Go Crazy the next single

interu2005

• Subscriber

Well yes, believe it or not there are people who didn't like Miracle Drug. So what? I wouldn't call you a sheep or anyone else for liking everythingabout U2 as insults shouldn't be slung at those who don't like everything U2 does. Get my point?

To repeat myself from earlier, this is a U2 fan website where every U2 fan should be allowed to express whatever opinion they have. Failing to see where themisunderstanding is there.

About age; to be exact, none of them are 50 yet. But regardless, where does age factor in? There are plenty of good artists out there putting out good materialat 50 and even older. Bob Dylan is 68 and just recently released his 32nd studio album this year which debuted at #1 on the album charts. Bruce Springsteen is60 and his career isn't suffering any. Sorry, I'm just not getting the point of the age argument. At all. I'm 41, I don't like some of thesongs on the NLOTH album. Where's the relevance in age? Like I said not getting it.

It's all irrelevant in the matter of people being allowed to express an opinion, sorry.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Well yes, believe it or not there are people who didn't like Miracle Drug. So what? I wouldn't call you a sheep or anyone else for liking everythingabout U2 as insults shouldn't be slung at those who don't like everything U2 does. Get my point?

To repeat myself from earlier, this is a U2 fan website where every U2 fan should be allowed to express whatever opinion they have. Failing to see where themisunderstanding is there.

About age; to be exact, none of them are 50 yet. But regardless, where does age factor in? There are plenty of good artists out there putting out good materialat 50 and even older. Bob Dylan is 68 and just recently released his 32nd studio album this year which debuted at #1 on the album charts. Bruce Springsteen is60 and his career isn't suffering any. Sorry, I'm just not getting the point of the age argument. At all. I'm 41, I don't like some of thesongs on the NLOTH album. Where's the relevance in age? Like I said not getting it.

It's all irrelevant in the matter of people being allowed to express an opinion, sorry.

• Subscriber

Badlemons wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

How is it that others' opinions of U2 bother you so greatly? I mean, I know plently of people who don't like U2 at all but it doesn't make me love them any less. And I certainly don't have an issue with something as trivial as people not liking a song that I happen to love. For example, there are plently here who have posted about disliking Miracle Drug which happens to be a song that means a great deal to me personally. Sure as hell people's contrary opinions didn't change or affect my feelings about that song.

So my question is, if you're really a U2 fan or as in the case where a particular song may mean something to you, why does what anyone else think to the contrary matter?

Where would we be without opinions? I have a personal place for Miracle Drug too actually, it's nice to know there are more Miracle Druggies out there. Anyway, it bothers me when people are bothered by another person's opinion, like my opinion is less than theirs or something. Oh well, we'd be so boring if we all shared the same views.

Finally, someone else who understands what I'm saying. Yes, what a boring place it would be if we all liked the same things, huh?

• Subscriber

Badlemons wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

How is it that others' opinions of U2 bother you so greatly? I mean, I know plently of people who don't like U2 at all but it doesn't make me love them any less. And I certainly don't have an issue with something as trivial as people not liking a song that I happen to love. For example, there are plently here who have posted about disliking Miracle Drug which happens to be a song that means a great deal to me personally. Sure as hell people's contrary opinions didn't change or affect my feelings about that song.

So my question is, if you're really a U2 fan or as in the case where a particular song may mean something to you, why does what anyone else think to the contrary matter?

Where would we be without opinions? I have a personal place for Miracle Drug too actually, it's nice to know there are more Miracle Druggies out there. Anyway, it bothers me when people are bothered by another person's opinion, like my opinion is less than theirs or something. Oh well, we'd be so boring if we all shared the same views.

Finally, someone else who understands what I'm saying. Yes, what a boring place it would be if we all liked the same things, huh?

I mainly speak of Rock Bands...U2 are the ONLY ones who have done it over 30 years....still at the top in record sales (all bands record sales are falling),still at the top in touring, still at the top with critics! (Sweeping grammies last 2 albums, and they will sweep again this year! 5 Star Reviews by RollingStone and other mags. )

As much as I love Bruce since the U2 induction speach, you can't say he is still "on top". U2 still is, despite the people who are trying tobring the "biggest band in the world" down. Again I say, NO ONE has done it 30 years like U2 has!!

and again..there were no insults by me...just pointing out the facts that certain people get off on being critical...its how they function in life...its howthey make themselves feel better about their own lives. If you want to bash the band on their own website, for music I know they/we truly love, we have theright to counter attack!! wth.gif

and if you round up, they are basically 50! tongue02.gif

• Subscriber

Yeah, well, rounding up aside, U2 aren't 50 years old. They also are not the only act to be on top for 30 or more years. Springsteen is rock and is sellingout dates everywhere he's playing, how can you say he isn't still on top? U2 is sure as hell an amazing force, but they aren't the only act thathas been around and is still doing well.

Springsteen's value to you is because of the induction speech? Great speech sure, but what does that have to do with his own career? Bono's inductionspeech about Springsteen was pretty damned good too.

And again, I wasn't talking about bashing, I was talking about U2 fans expressing an opinion. They are two very different matters. Stating you don'tlike a song or whatever isn't bashing, it's simply expressing an opinion.

• Subscriber

Yeah, well, rounding up aside, U2 aren't 50 years old. They also are not the only act to be on top for 30 or more years. Springsteen is rock and is sellingout dates everywhere he's playing, how can you say he isn't still on top? U2 is sure as hell an amazing force, but they aren't the only act thathas been around and is still doing well.

Springsteen's value to you is because of the induction speech? Great speech sure, but what does that have to do with his own career? Bono's inductionspeech about Springsteen was pretty damned good too.

And again, I wasn't talking about bashing, I was talking about U2 fans expressing an opinion. They are two very different matters. Stating you don'tlike a song or whatever isn't bashing, it's simply expressing an opinion.

Geez - it seems I have caused an unintentional sh*tstorm on here.

Many thanks to those who have stood up for my right to express an opinion.

For the benefit of Mr Montes and others, I will qualify some of my previous comments by saying that I blame the record company for the singles of the 2000s(i.e. the b-sides and dance remxes being a bit lame), just like I blame the record company for not putting The Fly on the Best of 1990-2000 album. This is whyI made the suggestion that U2 should probably take back control of the way their material is packaged and marketed (like Radiohead and others have done) andnot be slaves to the wishes of Universal Music.

I reject the notion that people subscribing to this site can't express an alternative point of view or be critical of the band. How else are U2 going tounderstand what their fans like or get ideas for the future direction of their music? Also, how many threads have there been on here about "what'syour least favourite song/album" etc? Those threads always seem to get massive responses, yet it seems I can't provide my opinion on the new material? NLOTH is the first U2 album that I have had difficulty with - I love the majority of their previous albums.

I said that I can't stand Crazy Tonight and that I don't think NLOTH has turned out to be what I was expecting from Bono's comments prior to itsrelease. Yes, this is a shot at Bono - I think it's great to talk up your new product, but I don't think it's good to mislead people about it (e.g."it's Achtung Baby on steroids" and "the rock may have to get harder because it can't stay where it is" These sorts of commentsraise expectations (probably too much in some people). It's how I feel, so I'm not going to apologise for it.

On another note - I actually thought the setlist for the Amsterdam show wasn't too bad - they're getting there :) The following is the setlist I'dlike to see.

Stand up Comedy

No Line on the Horizon (alternative version)

Magnificent

Beautiful Day

EBTTRT (or alternate this with Until the End of the World or something else off Achtung/Zooropa)

Gloria

New Years Day

Stay

Discotheque

Get on your boots

HMTMKMKM

Unknown Caller

Elevation

Vertigo

Pride

Where the Street have no name

One

Breathe

I Will Follow

Bad

Mysterious Ways

All I want is you

9 from the 2000s (and 6 from NLOTH)

6 from the 90s

7 from the 80s

Including a song from every album.

"These are the days when our work has come assunder - and these are the days when we look for something other."

Bruce is not a "Rock Band"! Again I say the "Only Rock Band to make relevant music, and stay on top for 30 years"
(Comparing Bruce and U2 in tour revenue and sales over the past 10 years, its not even close!)

Welcome back Fortitude....you dare to criticize Bono?? Don't you know he is a living saint?wink02.gif Don't you find it hard to criticize this amazing man?? and NLOTH is theclosest thing to Achtung they have done. So different, there own fans are saying "What is this? Its sounds too different?". Just like they didwhen Achtung come out. I remember U2 fans disgusted by "The Fly" (that song chopped down the Joshua Tree! I loved it! and ya, why isnt The Fly onU2's greatest hits?? Great point)

Ugh!...Stand up Comedy is the worst song on the album (ooops, did I just criticize??) tongue02.gif How do you open with this song?? Yikes!!! I can groove to Boots, but forwhatever reason, I can't do it to Comedy. Should have been a B side.

"Love and Peace"

Well anyways. HEre is a list of U2 songs I don't like. Thus making me a bad fan:

One

Twilight

MLK

Grace

Peace on Earth

Stay

Playboy Mansion

Man and a Woman

11 O Clock

Gloria

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Love Comes to Town

Saints are Coming

So Cruel

I get bored with Mysterious Ways to.

Now having said that, Crazy Tonight would make a fine single, my opinion is biased since No Line is the first U2 album where I like everything on it.