Jump to content

Go Crazy the next single


interu2005
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Subscriber

... as per Rolling Stone

 

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5938174/the_rs_500_greatest_albums_of_all_time

 

Lists Born to Run at number 18. Not too shabby for a little old Jersey boy, huh?

 

Oh and just to clarify before I'm misunderstood yet again and accused on the basis of assumption of my location (which I'm a little put off as to whywas mentioned by someone who does not know me, let alone how it was known and made an issue of here), I am in no way saying that Springsteen is better than U2or vice versa. That is an opinion of preference and a matter I would never take part in debating. It's pointless to argue personal preference. But Iwill say, despite the out of line assumptions about my location, I would consider myself a bigger U2 fan than a Springsteen one. Mostly because I reallystopped listening to Springsteen after The River album while I've continued listening to U2 all along.

 

But it's ridiculous to say U2 is bigger than Springsteen. They're both equally popular artists worldwide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Scott, now you've led me towards further criticism (to at least explain why I am not the biggest fan of the new album). You obviously disagree withme, however I would like to put this forward to at least help you understand where I'm coming from.

 

In response to your earlier post, I don't think Stand Up is the worst song on the album (that jointly goes to Crazy and Moment of Surrender for me).However, I can agree that Stand Up's lyrics are plain awful in places.

 

That said, I think Stand Up could be a good opener - it's punchy from the start and it slowly builds into a groovy rocker as it goes along - it has thebest guitar riff on the album and with Bono shouting at everyone in the stadium "stand up for you love" - I think it could just work. I tend to lookat this song the same way I did City of Blinding Lights - wasn't really that enthused about it (and regularly skipped over it when listening to HTDAAB),but it took on a whole different life live. I think Stand Up has the same potential.

 

I think Breathe would be better in the encore as it's my favourite song on the album and would be a loud and defiant "statement" towards the endof the show.

 

As for NLOTH not sounding like Achtung - well it does, in places (particularly in the title track where Edge recycles the riff from The Fly in the background).The album also sounds like a blend of almost every album they've ever made - a kind of back to the future affair.

 

In NLOTH you also have a recycled lick from Holy Joe (I like the alternative version better because it's grungier, has more drive, doesn't have theriff from The Fly in the background and Bono's vocals are less grating).

 

Magnificent sounds awesome - I always get lost in the sound of that song - but I think its lyrics are ordinary - it also sounds like a companion to BeautifulDay and Walk On and could have easily been on ATYCLB (and unfortunately given Coldplay's recent efforts to copycat U2 - thanks Eno - there are youngsterswho don't know any better asking why U2 are trying to sound like Coldplay - ugh!)

 

Moment of Surrender recycles drum lines from Until the End of the World and while Adam's bassline is the only part of the song I find interesting, geez itsounds very similar to the bassline in If God Will Send His Angels.

 

The intro to Unknown Caller is a mix of Walk On, The Three Sunrises and I dunno - heaps of things - this song could've been on The Unforgettable Fire, TheJoshua Tree or ATYCLB.

 

You know my thoughts on Crazy... next! Boots I do like, particularly Adam's contribution - it does sound progressive yet a bit old school at the same timeto me (could've been on Pop) but unfortunately it has a similar structure to Vertigo in its approach and sounds too much like Elvis Costello's Pump itUp (which has been ripped off to death).

 

Eno recycles one of his previous works from the mid 80s in FEZ; I do like Being Born though - I think it and Cedars are the most interesting tracks on thealbum (would've been good on the next Passengers album as they are much more Eno than U2). The closing lines to Cedars are by far the best lyrics on thealbum.

 

Stand Up and Breathe could have been on HTDAAB (the former song is ok and the latter my fave) - although again, the lyrics cover old ground.

 

I don't know why, but I think White as Snow has had the greatest affect on me - I don't generally listen to that genre (country/folk) but this song iswell balanced and quite beautiful - could've appeared on Rattle & Hum though.

 

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is, there's very little, if anything, new for me on this album. U2 have largely recycled and revisitedthings they've already done musically and lyrically. For me, that is the disappointing thing. Achtung Baby was bold, radical, risky and full of absolutelybrilliant songs and inspiring lyrics - NLOTH rarely achieves any of these elements for me. It doesn't mean that I'm no longer a U2 fan, I justhaven't warmed to the new material.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ceallach67 wrote:

Panth wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

 

As far as AB is concerned, I loved the album on first listen. NLOTH... eh... not so much.

Which is funny because I had a hard time getting into AB on the first listen, but loved No Line immediately.

 

Now they are both my favorites.

 

That is funny. I guess I loved AB because it was so different than JT and R & H. It had an unexpected edge (pardon the pun).

 

No Line has grown on me though there are still some songs I skip over. I'm excited about hearing the new songs live and I'm sure that'll pump up my love for the new album. Live has always been where it's at for me with U2. They excel live and I would have to say, imo, they are one of the best live acts ever.
It only took probably a week for me to get Achtung, mostly the Fly, and THEN the rest of the album, but Zooropa was easy to get into.

 

No Line I liked immediately, even though I skip White as Snow. I agree that they are great live though, I think they're better live honestly.

 

I hate Jersey but am a Springsteen and Bon Jovi fan. What's that say about me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ceallach67 wrote:

Panth wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

 

As far as AB is concerned, I loved the album on first listen. NLOTH... eh... not so much.

Which is funny because I had a hard time getting into AB on the first listen, but loved No Line immediately.

 

Now they are both my favorites.

 

That is funny. I guess I loved AB because it was so different than JT and R & H. It had an unexpected edge (pardon the pun).

 

No Line has grown on me though there are still some songs I skip over. I'm excited about hearing the new songs live and I'm sure that'll pump up my love for the new album. Live has always been where it's at for me with U2. They excel live and I would have to say, imo, they are one of the best live acts ever.
It only took probably a week for me to get Achtung, mostly the Fly, and THEN the rest of the album, but Zooropa was easy to get into.

 

No Line I liked immediately, even though I skip White as Snow. I agree that they are great live though, I think they're better live honestly.

 

I hate Jersey but am a Springsteen and Bon Jovi fan. What's that say about me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ceallach67 wrote:

Panth wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

 

As far as AB is concerned, I loved the album on first listen. NLOTH... eh... not so much.

Which is funny because I had a hard time getting into AB on the first listen, but loved No Line immediately.

 

Now they are both my favorites.

 

That is funny. I guess I loved AB because it was so different than JT and R & H. It had an unexpected edge (pardon the pun).

 

No Line has grown on me though there are still some songs I skip over. I'm excited about hearing the new songs live and I'm sure that'll pump up my love for the new album. Live has always been where it's at for me with U2. They excel live and I would have to say, imo, they are one of the best live acts ever.
It only took probably a week for me to get Achtung, mostly the Fly, and THEN the rest of the album, but Zooropa was easy to get into.

 

No Line I liked immediately, even though I skip White as Snow. I agree that they are great live though, I think they're better live honestly.

 

I hate Jersey but am a Springsteen and Bon Jovi fan. What's that say about me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ceallach67 wrote:

Panth wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

 

As far as AB is concerned, I loved the album on first listen. NLOTH... eh... not so much.

Which is funny because I had a hard time getting into AB on the first listen, but loved No Line immediately.

 

Now they are both my favorites.

 

That is funny. I guess I loved AB because it was so different than JT and R & H. It had an unexpected edge (pardon the pun).

 

No Line has grown on me though there are still some songs I skip over. I'm excited about hearing the new songs live and I'm sure that'll pump up my love for the new album. Live has always been where it's at for me with U2. They excel live and I would have to say, imo, they are one of the best live acts ever.
It only took probably a week for me to get Achtung, mostly the Fly, and THEN the rest of the album, but Zooropa was easy to get into.

 

No Line I liked immediately, even though I skip White as Snow. I agree that they are great live though, I think they're better live honestly.

 

I hate Jersey but am a Springsteen and Bon Jovi fan. What's that say about me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ceallach67 wrote:

Panth wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

 

As far as AB is concerned, I loved the album on first listen. NLOTH... eh... not so much.

Which is funny because I had a hard time getting into AB on the first listen, but loved No Line immediately.

 

Now they are both my favorites.

 

That is funny. I guess I loved AB because it was so different than JT and R & H. It had an unexpected edge (pardon the pun).

 

No Line has grown on me though there are still some songs I skip over. I'm excited about hearing the new songs live and I'm sure that'll pump up my love for the new album. Live has always been where it's at for me with U2. They excel live and I would have to say, imo, they are one of the best live acts ever.
It only took probably a week for me to get Achtung, mostly the Fly, and THEN the rest of the album, but Zooropa was easy to get into.

 

No Line I liked immediately, even though I skip White as Snow. I agree that they are great live though, I think they're better live honestly.

 

I hate Jersey but am a Springsteen and Bon Jovi fan. What's that say about me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ceallach67 wrote:

Panth wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

 

As far as AB is concerned, I loved the album on first listen. NLOTH... eh... not so much.

Which is funny because I had a hard time getting into AB on the first listen, but loved No Line immediately.

 

Now they are both my favorites.

 

That is funny. I guess I loved AB because it was so different than JT and R & H. It had an unexpected edge (pardon the pun).

 

No Line has grown on me though there are still some songs I skip over. I'm excited about hearing the new songs live and I'm sure that'll pump up my love for the new album. Live has always been where it's at for me with U2. They excel live and I would have to say, imo, they are one of the best live acts ever.
It only took probably a week for me to get Achtung, mostly the Fly, and THEN the rest of the album, but Zooropa was easy to get into.

 

No Line I liked immediately, even though I skip White as Snow. I agree that they are great live though, I think they're better live honestly.

 

I hate Jersey but am a Springsteen and Bon Jovi fan. What's that say about me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Apologies Fortitude....I officially give you your U2 Fan Card back......you are overly analytical about the music, but DEFINITELY A FAN tongue02.gif. Sorry for ever suggesting. I respect most of your points.

 

For whatever reason, people like to come down on Bono about the lyrics on this album. He loves to write about spirituality, and I find the lyrics to be aspassionate as they have always been. I guess Im not one to sit around and wonder "what does that mean", I rather just feel the passion of the wordsalong with the passion of the music. I find that they blend well as always on this album..."It was a Joyful Noise!!!"...."I found grace insidea sound, I found grace it's all that I found!"...."Then she put her tongue in my ear!!"

 

Very passionate...very spiritual...very cool...love it!!

 

I also think you like the new album more then you think Fortitude...there are lots of positives in your writing. Moment of Surrender is a gospel song, verysimilar to "I still haven't found". Good point on this album being pieces of all their albums, I totally agree. In that way it is differentthen Achtung. Similar to Achtung in that it is much different then the last 2 records, a shocking change that some fans are having a hard time swallowing. Ilived Achtung, and there were tons of fans/critics who were not initially into that album after its release. They received a lot of crap for the new sound. Now it is seen as their masterpiece along with Joshua Tree.

 

People have a hard time with change. It is human nature to want everything to stay the same, life is safer that way. But change is what makes this band sogreat. It's what sets them apart from all of the great "Rock Bands' of all time. They might just be the greatest.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One last point on "Crazy Tonight"...my last 2 cents in regard to this song...which has grown and grown on me over the past few months....for thefirst few weeks of the album it was towards the bottom for me on the "top songs on the new album list"....it seemed too basic to be one of myfavorites....I loved the more complicated stuff like "No Line" and "Breathe"...

Then I realized Edge's guitar at the end of the song was one of those "Edge Moments"...in which his guitar became more then a guitar, but sang amelody along with Bono to create something uniquely U2! Now over time it has become one of my favorites on the album...simple like "sweetest thing",but grows into (dare I say it) a passion like "Bad"......

I just watched all 5 Letterman performances again...keep in mind the crowd had never heard the new music....I think if you watch these performances it showsthe quality of this song!!! Out of the new material, I felt it was the best reaction from the crowd. If this makes it commercial, so be it. Its cool like"Sweetest Thing", its passionate like "Bad". Great song!

"It's not a hill...it's a mountain...as we start out on the climb!" (love the passion in his voice/lyrics)

I disagree with any fan who doesn't like this song

Cheers!



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...