Sunday Bloody Sunday Goes Green for Iran

• Community Manager

Anyone notice that in the opening show on Tuesday, Sunday Bloody Sunday featured some subtle references to the political situation in Iran ?

It was an Iranian-born singer, Sussan Deyhim, you could hear after the end of 'Crazy'before 'Sunday' began and the choice of green lightingseemed like a definite symbolic shout-out to the protestors in Iran ... who've made green the colour of their demands for new elections.

Sunday Bloody Sunday has always been a song about peace but a quarter century after it was written seems like it's still taking on new meanings - evenbefore Tuesday's show, the Iranconnection had been made online. When young Neda Agha-Soltan was killed during the protests, it sparked a series ofonline video tributes.... all to the soundtrack of Sunday Bloody Sunday.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I'm so glad the band is doing something to show support for the Iranian protests. These people deserve their freedom and should win it and get all thesupport that is available. Unfortunately, this may not happen anytime soon, but the protesters have certainly have laid the foundations for winning back theircountry. Throughout the course of these protests, I kept hearing Sunday Bloody Sunday and Please while watching these videos on Youtube.

The display in this video looks pretty much like Persian :

but it can't read it (i'm not iranian myself), some peopleon Facebook tell it starts with "Listen, Listen, Listen".

Definitly I would say it IS a tribute to the recent events in Iran.

The green colour with the script of a Persian poem was definitely a reference to the people's movement in Iran. At least it has been perceived amongIranians as support from one of the most legendary bands in the world.

Many thanks to the band for their support.

(From an Iranian fan)

joooj wrote:

The display in this video looks pretty much like Persian :
but it can't read it (i'm not iranian myself), some people on Facebook tell it starts with "Listen, Listen, Listen".

Definitly I would say it IS a tribute to the recent events in Iran.

Although the whole script cannot be read very well in this video, but yes it starts with "Listen, Listen, Listen". From the few words Ican read, I guess it must be an alteration of an old poem (The Lament of the reed-flute) bythe 13th century Persian poet Rumi. Here's a translation of the original poem :

http://www.khamush.com/tales_from_masnavi.htm#TheLamentofthe