Where were you 24 years ago today?

illumination70

• Subscriber

oh yeah some of the American show was terrific especially Simple Minds, The Cars and Bryan Adams they were great in the 80's. From the UK show other thanthe obvious I loved the Boomtown Rats and Sting sets. Apart from U2 I thought everyone else was pretty average and all the other bands weren't my scene(man).

saying that though it was great day a terrific spectacle and a worthy cause, our generation felt we could change the world, i think we managed to pay off oneyear's interest on ethiopa's debt though.

'live8' had a similar though lesser buzz to it, it was aa better vibe for me tough cause we won tickets through the text to win comp.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here at home in San Francisco. Woke up that a.m., first thought was: Oh yeah, that marathon Live Aid concert is already on--let's see what's on thetube! Was amused to flip on the TV, only to see Judas Priest (was it?) doing their set, looking totally dumbfounded by that big light in the sky (it'scalled "the sun," fellas!) At the time, there was no cable TV in my neighborhood, and the only TV in the house was a tabletop B&W set, which aprevious roommate had rescued from a streetcorner. She "fixed" it after she dragged it home--I think she gave the thing a few good whacks and thatsort of retuned it. So I got to watch most of the show in black and white--I still think of U2 at Live Aid inB&W, which is kind of weird, but that's my brain for you.

The broadcast feed of the show ended around 5pm, so I went over to a friend's house to watch the rest of it--in color!--on MTV.

When I was back at work on Monday, I had to "explain" what/who that "U2" band was to just about everyone else who had also watched theconcerts. I think that was when it really dawned on me that most people had not a clue about U2.

Later that year, I bought a color TV. Junked it only late last year!

Cable TV finally made it into the Mission c.1986. It still sucks, by the way.

Most folks nowadays link U2 and Live Aid, to the point where you'd think that U2 were at the top of the bill--when, in fact, they played in broad daylight,long before the marquee-name stars did their bit. Most of the media paid little attention to U2; I've been sorting through my files (long in storage,until recently) and have found things like tour books and magazines that hit the racks in the wake of Live Aid. If U2 appear at all, it's well behind thelikes of Mick 'n' Tina, the Zep/Who reunions, Madonna, et al.

-- eaplatt

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

yeh i was there i had my tickets pinched for u2 and some guys had a whipround ,wasnt bonos voice amazing

i had to spend a night on a train staion cus i only had 10p.do it all over again though met sme brill people espically at bowie didnt like the french though rude then

• Subscriber

I just had my first baby I cried all day because i could not go,espically when i saw Queen and U2, my nan was round trying to hep me and she did my head in.I remember they were selling them in Nme for 160 pound each a lot then.I even thought about it,the year after i went to see Queen thinking it would be as good.I have the book of Live Aid to keep.

• Subscriber

I was 26 yrs. old and living in London. We watched it crowded around a tiny little tv, about 20 or so people, all waiting for our favorites to come on. I had just starting liking U2 and that was the band I was waiting for. Most were waiting for Queen, I seem to remember. Anyway, U2 did not disappoint, that was my first time watching them perform and I have been hooked ever since. I returned home to Calif., bought JT when it was released and went to my first U2 concert: San Diego nosebleed seats, then two shows in LA and one of them was fourth row on the floor (seats, no GA in those days!) in front of Bruce Springsteen!