why is Bono not singing all the lyrics to Unforgettable Fire?

mdaredevil

It's a shame, but have you noticed that Bono is not singing the last words at the end of Unforgettable Fire...He skips the lines: "I'm only askingbut I...I think you know" and "ever after, this love in time. And if you save your love, save it all".

I am glad that they are performing the song, and can't wait to fly to Dublin to see them next week, but those lines and the way that they are sung, arepart of what makes the song so beautiful. And these are not points in the song taht he needs to go high with his voice, so I don't understand why he isnot going through with those lines...

Any thoughts?

I am going to say something I never thought I'd say - because I love U2 so much, but I am honest also.

I'm afraid, from the clips I have seen / heard of some of the songs on this tour, they have, and Bono ESPECIALLY, seemed lazy, uninspired, sloppy,unenthusiastic and BORING.

I'm taking my kid, who is not a U2 fan, to his very first U2 concert, and I am REALLY hyping them up. I REALLY hope they don't embarrass me, let medown and make me look like a fool.

(I think I just jump-started this dead thread!)

• Subscriber

Bono is always changing the lyrics, sometimes it's easy to know why he does it, but some other times it's a mystery, like when he started to omit"she sees the man inside the child" in Mysterious Ways. I don't know why he's omitting these lines in The Unforgettable Fire, but I have thefeeling he doesn't like such a explicit and definitive sad ending at this right moment or he feels it doesn't fit well, but maybe it's just me.

What I'm sure is that when you are in the concert he doesn't look lazy, uninspired, sloopy, unenthusiastic or boring, it's the contrary, I havefound him much more enthusiastic and into the show than in the last tour, he looks especially happy and confident on his voice, he gives everything in theshow, at least in the two I have attended so far, it's true that you don't see those faces of effort we were used to, but that's because he hitsthe notes quite easily as his voice is so much recovered. The show is unbelievable, the best since ZooTv, at least for me, one of the best things I can say isthis: the claw is amazing, but after the shock of the first songs watching the lighting, I completely forgot about it.

TCarlin5 wrote:

Not surprised he doesn't. Hell a lot of the time he can't remember all the words to the songs that get played EVERY tour! ;-)

I've worked with several national acts, and for Bono to sing without a teleprompter is amazing...also, considering how much materialthey've written. Other acts, I've worked with still need to used teleprompters, and they've only got 1 or 2 hits, but have been around just as longas U2 have.

As far as Bono changing lyric...he likes to improvise a little. The Unforgettable Fire is my favorite U2 song, and I wish he could sing in it's entirety,but at the same time, I don't know why they didn't record With Or Without You (Rattle & Hum DVD Version) on the Joshua Tree album...they havereasons for doing things a certain why, which us fans will never know why...or they'll reveal it a few years later. Sometimes, Bono wants to emphasizecertain lines within a song...even visual FX like Streets (Vertigo Version), where he wanted to emphasize on the African nations, instead of the red back dropand the large moles (lights) lighting up the crowd.

I reckon Bono's just forgotten the lyrics :P

Or, he doesn't think they're relevant any more. He has been known to mess around with the lyrics from time to time - he did it with I Will Follow onthe PopMart tour and with Beautiful Day on the Vertigo tour - Mysterious Ways also gets changed sometimes... They don't play the last verse of New YearsDay any more.

Then there's always those moments like when Bono starts singing the second verse of Sunday Bloody Sunday by mistake (instead of the first verse) and Edgejust gives him a quick look of disdain :) haha