My Review of No Line on the Horizon

I completely understand where those who do not like this album are coming from. They are right in some ways when they speak of these songs as "sleepingmusic."

For me, however, it is a very restless and fitful sleep, and a rockin' sleep, filled with dreams that are fairly deep and multi-layered. One posterexpressed earlier today disappointment that there is no "grit" in the songs- I think there is "grit," but it is less coarse than in thepast; it is more polished and refined so that rather than leaving dirty surface abrasions, it cuts deeper lacerations. And yet somehow there still manages tobe something extremely sexy and joyful and sensual about the cutting, without it feeling like masochism, too much ( the wire and horses line may be wanderinginto this territory just a bit... ). And there is joy and the promise of joy and of renewal.

I remain a fan of this album. I still love it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I really dont know how you can call No line on the horizon boring??? Surrender was made in 1 take, quite amazing when u think aba it eurotrash. Ive gone overall ur points and listened to the tunes in question. Have you heard Breathe live on Jonatan Ross show? Was amazin, Edges solo was immense! Oh and the crowdseemed too like both boots and breathe imageimageimage To everyone else... If you havent seen this you must!

http://www.culturebully.com/u2-on-friday-night-with-jonathan-ross

• Subscriber

LifeFactory wrote:

I completely understand where those who do not like this album are coming from. They are right in some ways when they speak of these songs as "sleeping music."

For me, however, it is a very restless and fitful sleep, and a rockin' sleep, filled with dreams that are fairly deep and multi-layered. One poster said earlier today when expressing disappointment that there is no "grit" in the songs- I think there is "grit," but it is less coarse than in the past; it is more polished and refined so that rather than leaving dirty surface abrasions, it cuts deeper lacerations. And yet somehow there still manages to be something extremely sexy and joyful and sensual about the cutting, without it feeling like masochism, too much ( the wire and horses line may be wandering into this territory just a bit... ). And there is joy and the promise of joy and of renewal.

I remain a fan of this album. I still love it.

LOL! class reply LifeFactory, I was in stitches when I read aba the fitful sleep! Glad u got that link this time man, still wonderin on how I cud get ya thatroof top gig, u still not seen it?