Too Much Aggression

dermo

• Subscriber

I saw a little to much aggression on the field in Croke Park last night. Relax people we are all U2 fans and none any better than the other

There were a lot of Johnny Come Lates (mostly Irish I am ashamed to say) trying to push and shove their way to the front ahead of people who'd be queuingsince early morning and into areas that were already packed solid.

Three groups tried to do this in our section of the pit (in front of Edge's mike side about 2 m from ramp at back). And I gotta say these are the type ofmy fellow country men/women I cannot stand: cheeky, arrogant and presumtuous and above all too used to getting everything they want !

How glad I am that last night this was not the case. On 3 occasions they tried and on 3 occasions they failed due to the "crew" of U2 fans in oursection who marched them right back out of there ! We were Irish, Belgian, Dutch, Brazilian, Scottish, English, French and Polish in our little area and wetook no S### (in a polite yet firm way of coursehappy.gif).

Well done to security who removed the last group who nearly caused a dangerous crush after trying the old "We're looking for our friends" trickyet not moving anywhere.

What a great crowd we had in the pit last night, really looked out for each other and stuck together to root out the cheeky latecomers. Well done all !

• Subscriber

Unfortunately, this sort of self-entitled behavior is a little too common and is often fueled by alcohol. I've gotten a few bruises from these people, but,for the most part, the "crew" of U2 fans tend to look out for each other. Seriously, U2 fans can be some of the coolest people!

I've got one really bad story though. One time this drunk guy kept on trying to push his way to the front for well over ten minutes. This caused aslight wave of fans accidently pushing each other forward. Sadly, the lady in front of me thought I was trying to steal her spot because instead of squishingher with my body (i.e. possibly injuring her!) I decided to brace myself by putting my hand on the rail. I tried so hard to explain to her what was reallyhappening, but she couldn't hear me (well, duh, we're at a concert and she was also drunk out of her mind) and so she ended up elbowing me severaltimes and pounding on my hand and yelling at me with some not-so-nice words! Gee whiz, at least I can laugh about it now. ;-)

Oh, besides enjoying the concert that night (with exception to the pushing, pounding, and elbowing), I also found $50 bucks on my way back to the hotel,which was quite a lot for a cash strap college student - I felt like a lotto winner after that. ;-)

Very true. The people who tried to push their way (usuccessfully laugh.gif) nearshowtime had arrived early enough but just spent the day drinking behind the stand and then felt it their right to push in front of the people who'd beenin the pit for hours. They didn't reckon with the peole power of those who had been there for hours.tongue.gif

• Subscriber

Now nothing annoys me more than late comers trying to muscle their way into a non existant space at show time but I have to say the worst of the aggressionI saw on Friday was from a group of people 'defending their space'. The problem was they reserved that agression for three young lads aged about 12 or13 and a woman.

I certainly wouldn't condone physical aggression against anyone especially younger fans.

As we found last night, a stern few words and about 30 people glaring usually does the trick.

I did find that those trying to push to the front were particularly aggressive .

to be fair though i was very early and had my spot (not in the pit) went very quickly to the loo before glasvegas and got a whole lot of guff on my way backto my boyf ...if u need to go you need to go like! it was just little old me 5' 3"...and was getting bullied by the 6footers lol..whats with all thetall people btw are we irish just short arses or what?wink02.gif

although dont believe in people pushing in front of anybody who was there all day!!!