U2 in 3D Tour

censoredally

Hola. Ok, so I raved about this already in the "venues" thread, but now I really must ask: would anyone else find it extremely extremely cool ifthe tour made use of the new 3d and mixed reality technologies? I wrote in the other thread that I though this album would be so perfectly suited to this!

My excited ravings and wishful thinking from before:

"...some sort of mixed-reality or 3d of virtual-type immersive high-tech show: all of the clues are there: a "sonicsoundscape" that bridges the organic with the digital; intimate music they have chosen to play in a very non-initimate setting (stadiums), yet with thepromise that a "feat of engineering" will create a 360 degree intimate space; and there is that recurring theme of "meet me in thesound...." and "no line on the horizon"--where does one layer of reality or one medium end and another start? ...they could ring the entirecrowd with screens enclosing them in a media surface circle (or an infinity symbol!) Ha!!! The could actuallyrender the music's wave forms in 3 dimension, undulating them out into the crowd!!!

Ok, so am I all alone with wanting to see the tour push the conceptual and technological envelope as far as it can go? Better than aUniversal Park theme ride!!! The uber-evolution of Zoo TV!!!

The Infinity 360 Degree Full-On Mixed Reality Virtual 3D YOU ARE IN THE SOUND TOUR!

Although, if they have not already designed this, it might be too late :( But I believe U2 can do nearly anything!

And they make money off this... How? image

They'd have to charge $5000 a ticket, and consequently no one would show up - like the Palace of Soviets, it's a cool idea that won't happen. Butif U2 can unlock a fourth spatial dimension, the possibilities for live performance will be endless. Get working Willie!

Yes, Yes, you all have very good and realistic points regarding the cost ;)

Maybe at some point down the line. A lot of this, though, is just projection screens which, although not at all cheap to rig and run, are not so far out inthe realm of the financially impossible that this cannot be done. If not now...then later, by someone. I must find those "someones!" :D

And, ThatDreamer (big hugs for your thought!), sometimes they already do a pretty good job of opening a 4th spatial dimension as it is, I am just not sureeveryone notices when it happens! :D Would be fun to make it explicit ;)

Ok...here is a thought...

If they are going to release a secondary album this year and...as I have heard, it is an even more "meditative" piece, or any type of work that wouldlend itself to this sort of production....maybe they could do a series of very very small venue shows--boutique shows--with very high ticket prices. Acutting-edge experiment into the new world?

Maybe the SM musical is going to use some of these techniques...it is hard to imagine what else they would be spending that much money on.