Good current bands

AnaCarolina

So I was reading one of the threads about Bono calling Chris Martin a wanker and somebody mentioned a bunch of current bands and how they are or not relevantand that got me wondering what new bands are good.

Cause I don't really listen to anything new, I used to listen to Coldplay, but turns out I only like one of their albums lol My playlist consists of U2(duh), Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Creedence, etc... and Ella Fitzgerald Sings Cole Porter lol I also have some brazilian artists,but most of you guys probably wouldn't know them and it's just old stuff too.

Most new things I listen don't seem all that great, it all sounds the same to me, but maybe I kind of aproach them with a bit of prejudice... I liked whatI heard from The White Stripes, Franz Ferdinand and Scissor Sisters but I don't really listen to them.

So, what current bands do you guys listen to?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head:

The Love Me Nots

The Vals (Belfast)

Deerhunter ("Never Stops")

Maus Haus

Crystal Stilts

TV on the Radio

Jeremy Jay

Wolf & Cub (The Australian band, not the Japanese comic book!)

The Vines

The Modey Lemon

The Raveonettes

Ladytron

The Puddle (New Zealand) ("So Good" on The Shakespeare Monkey)

Tim Finn ("Second Chance") (Another Kiwi, by the way.)

Cat Power

The Gossip

The Magnetic Fields

Kelley Stoltz ("Ever Thought of Coming Back")

Mastodon (for when you're feeling...heavvvvyyyy)

Then there are all the neo-psychedelic bands: Sleepy Sun, Wooden Shjips, Lumerians, The Bad Trips

Folks who've been around for a bit (e.g., more than two albums or so) but worth a hearing:

--> Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds ("Lie Down Here and Be My Girl" on "Dig Lazarus Dig")

-->The Dirtbombs

--> The Von Bondies

--> Byrne/Eno "Everything That Happens Will Happen Today" (check out "Strange Overtones")

--> Also, Eno's "Another Day on Earth," released a few years back, is worth looking up.

That oughta keep you busy for a while!

wink.gif

-- eaplatt

Sigur Ros (Not just Iceland's finest. Arguably one of the world's finest..I've at last found an act who I love just as much as U2)

Nine Inch Nails

Radiohead

Muse

(The above three come so so close to the first two in this list)

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Dream Theater

The rest of the acts I like are either not releasing music anymore or are still doing so but have been around for so long.

Eg Pink Floyd, Brian Eno, Tangerine Dream, Yes, Jethro Tull, The Smiths, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, Joy Divison just to name a few!

AnaCarolina wrote:

So I was reading one of the threads about Bono calling Chris Martin a wanker and somebody mentioned a bunch of current bands and how they are or not relevant and that got me wondering what new bands are good.

Cause I don't really listen to anything new, I used to listen to Coldplay, but turns out I only like one of their albums lol My playlist consists of U2 (duh), Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Creedence, etc... and Ella Fitzgerald Sings Cole Porter lol I also have some brazilian artists, but most of you guys probably wouldn't know them and it's just old stuff too.

Most new things I listen don't seem all that great, it all sounds the same to me, but maybe I kind of aproach them with a bit of prejudice... I liked what I heard from The White Stripes, Franz Ferdinand and Scissor Sisters but I don't really listen to them.

So, what current bands do you guys listen to?

You should listen to Muse!!!

3 great musicians!!!! And Bellamy a great composer!!!!