Ticket Sales (Spin or Decline)

mollison

• Subscriber

This tour has really got me going regarding Sales, for the first time in 25 years a U2 show in Dublin did not sell out, tickets for all 3 shows were easy toget, the shows in the UK apart from Sheffield still are flogging tickets, time was that tickets were snapped up no problem, Wembley 4 nights in a row...I dontbelieve it is the recession, a fanbase will still buy tickets, Cardiff only has 1 show and right now loads of tickets still available, during the Zooropa tourCardiff sold out, is it that the band have lost a lot of fans due to musical tastes changing or are we seeing the start of a decline in interest.....somethingclearly is not happening as far as sales are concerned, the band and the site can talk about unprecadented demand, but what does the real fan think...

• Subscriber

The more expensive tickets are taking longer to sell - thats probably a reflection of people cutting back on spending. Stg150 for a ticket is pretty steep.

As far as I know Dublin sold out all three nights - although the Monday night took longer. As for Cardiff, try booking accomodation on the night of the concertand you'll find it impossible to get anywhere. This is bound impact on the number of people who might otherwise travel to Cardiff for the concert. Havinggone to Dublin we were also thinking of going to Cardiff but given we couldn't get a hotel room and the Stg150 cost per ticket (for a decent seat) wescrapped it in the end. I think anyone who's experienced the 360 concert would want to go again if they get the chance, can afford it and can findsomewhere to stay !

Lastly, I don't know what other band could play to over 250,000 people in Dublin in the middle of what will probably go down as the worst global economiccrisis in history !

• Subscriber

back in the day when you couldnt get a ticket and you had to phone up for them was a pain in the arse. now to get a ticket like easy as pie, does seem likegood in a way.

if u2 were to play indoor, im sure the tickets would have sold out, but they put in the risk of playing outdoors, they must have known it was a big gamble.

• Subscriber

Back in the day Propaganda subscribers had a pre sales by post set up. Dates and details were sent out about a month before public sale and you simply wrote acheque and ordered the tickets you wanted. So long as you got the order back by the deadline you'd always get them. I got Slane 01 tickets this way andthey sold out in seconds on the opening day of sales.

SMR2009 wrote:

The more expensive tickets are taking longer to sell - thats probably a reflection of people cutting back on spending. Stg150 for a ticket is pretty steep.

As far as I know Dublin sold out all three nights - although the Monday night took longer. As for Cardiff, try booking accomodation on the night of the concert and you'll find it impossible to get anywhere. This is bound impact on the number of people who might otherwise travel to Cardiff for the concert. Having gone to Dublin we were also thinking of going to Cardiff but given we couldn't get a hotel room and the Stg150 cost per ticket (for a decent seat) we scrapped it in the end. I think anyone who's experienced the 360 concert would want to go again if they get the chance, can afford it and can find somewhere to stay !

Lastly, I don't know what other band could play to over 250,000 people in Dublin in the middle of what will probably go down as the worst global economic crisis in history !

Oh, I dunno about that - I think what my grandparents and parents went through back in the 30's was much worse than what we're all going throughnow....

To this thread in general (and not just SMR):

But yeah--the economy is in the tank, people are keeping their wallets shut, and the way U2 have let this tour get booked makes it necessary for fans to travelto shows. U2 are also avoiding some of their best cities, for some reason--can any of the big brains at Live Nation explain why U2 are playing Norman, andshunning places like San Francisco and Seattle? Plus, the media hasn't made U2 the "hot ticket" or flavor-of-the-month this time (or thus far),so if any fair-weather fans are going to the shows, it's probably because they couldn't get tickets for the past two tours. tongue.gif

But....whenever U2 have played stadiums, there've always been tickets floating around, right up to showtime, even. True whenever they played stadiumsback in 1987; again in 1992; and (of course) PopMart, no matter the hype rate or the economic situation. When the Stones and the Police did their recenttours, the stadium shows reportedly weren't sold out--of course, the more expensive seats were the slowest to sell, even back then, in our last"Gilded Age." Stadium concerts just offer such a flood of tickets, getting a fully sold-out show would take some doing!

Don't get addicted to the notion of a mandatory, 100% sold out U2 concert as the norm. It certainly shouldn't be taken as a reflection on the band ortheir fans.

Also, do a little math: How many nights at, say, the Point (or whatever they're calling it now) would U2 have to do to fit in 250,000 fans for a series ofshows? Yes, they should be fitted in comfortably!

-- eaplatt

• Subscriber

I was in Dubin for all 3 shows and they sure looked sold out to me!! And they boys still have their mojo, in fact, stronger than ever!!! For those who choosenot to come I say...."your loss!!"