Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xtraspicy62

Quitting Smoking Support Thread:Lets carry eachother here

Recommended Posts

 I don't smoke,but I know what it's like to beat an addiction and my prayers go out to everyone who's trying to quit smoking.

((HUGS))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you from experience how addictive cigarettes are.

My mom smoked for years and quit in her 70's. She had been off them for 7 or 8 years and found out she had lung cancer. Luckily it was contained in one lung. It was removed and she is still with us. She'll be 87 this Sept. She does however have episodes of trouble breathing due to COPD. She struggles at times but boy is she a fighter and is still pretty active. My personal hero.

Now you would think that watching this person who you love to bits go through all that you would quit immediately. It's been 6 years since her surgery and this is my third attempt at quitting.

The main thing to do is keep trying. Even if you fall for a while and start smoking again. Just keep trying.

So there is my motivation for quitting.

 

What are yours?

 

This is a great thread everyone. Keep trying. The cravings will pass and the benefits are too many to list.

Yay for us quitters!! The one time that being a quitter is admirable.

((((HUGS)))) So happy to hear your Mom is still with you. I can see why she would be your motivation and your hero. Thanks for sharing her story with us, it is most definitely an inspiring one. I will say a prayer for her and for the best health possible and that she is with you for a long time to come.

 

My motivation is my children mostly, but my parents play a factor. I lost both of my parents at a young age.  My father died when he was just 56 and I was only 23.  He never got to meet my husband and never knew his grandchildren. My mother died at 66. She never got to meet my youngest son. I just don't want to leave my children that early in life if I can help it. So I'm trying to change my unhealthy habits. I've been eating healthier and exercising and quitting smoking was just the next natural step.

 

Prayers for you and for all of us to be strong in quitting too. And you're right... this is one thing where we can be proud to call ourselves quitters, Canada!  Good call. 

 

And some xtra-special love for Spicy for starting this quitting smoking support thread.  You're the best, Spicy! ThankYouKisses.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 cheers for Spicy!!! or 3 pints... whichever she would like.

Love how supportive this thread is.

Until next time everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I can tell you from experience how addictive cigarettes are.

My mom smoked for years and quit in her 70's. She had been off them for 7 or 8 years and found out she had lung cancer. Luckily it was contained in one lung. It was removed and she is still with us. She'll be 87 this Sept. She does however have episodes of trouble breathing due to COPD. She struggles at times but boy is she a fighter and is still pretty active. My personal hero.

Now you would think that watching this person who you love to bits go through all that you would quit immediately. It's been 6 years since her surgery and this is my third attempt at quitting.

The main thing to do is keep trying. Even if you fall for a while and start smoking again. Just keep trying.

So there is my motivation for quitting.

 

What are yours?

 

This is a great thread everyone. Keep trying. The cravings will pass and the benefits are too many to list.

Yay for us quitters!! The one time that being a quitter is admirable.

1) shortness of breath

2) chest pain

3) chronic bronchitis, both viral and bacterial, and usual antibiotics no longer work

4) abnormal x-ray scare (was just mucus filled bronchi, but thats

enough!)

5) weezing so loud my fiances afraid to go to sleep bc hes afraid ill stop breathing

6) snoring now for first time-keeping fiance awake-ug!!!

7) Asthma

8) high blood pressure

9) f***ing ugly yellow teeth!!

10) money

11) headaches

12) I stink

13) sinus pain and pressure

14) sore throats from hell

15) I want to live

16) i want to be there for my husband to be

17) I want children

18) I dont want to die before my parents

19) I want nicer softer beautiful skin

20) I want to go to sleep at night and stay there not get up for a 3 AM smoke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 cheers for Spicy!!! or 3 pints... whichever she would like.

Love how supportive this thread is.

Until next time everyone.

E-CARD-INSPIRING-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's called Chamtix in the States and Champix in Canada.

Ahhhh.... gotcha, thanks for letting me know.  Wonder why the name is different? It is the same smoking cessation medicine, right? Hmm... strange. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think champix is more french
That made me laugh. If you heard my French you would wonder what language it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='canada06 wrote:


xtraspicy62']I think champix is more french

That made me laugh. If you heard my French you would wonder what language it was.

 

Je suis certain que votre français est aussi fine que bon vin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 10.

 

How's it going today everyone? Back at work so easier for me.

Whoda thought that work would help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're all doing so well!!!

I don't write in here much as I do smoke and haven't given up! But I can honestly say that I don't have many - 3 or 4 a day. On the odd occassion I have a few more than that.

And I do know that is no justification. I know that I will give up soon but not quite ready to do it yet. But this thread will probably make me do it sooner rather than later!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You're all doing so well!!!

I don't write in here much as I do smoke and haven't given up! But I can honestly say that I don't have many - 3 or 4 a day. On the odd occassion I have a few more than that.

And I do know that is no justification. I know that I will give up soon but not quite ready to do it yet. But this thread will probably make me do it sooner rather than later!

You have to do it when your mind tells you it's time. No amount of logic other than that will work. You have to be ready to do it. All in good time my friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='canada06 wrote:


xtraspicy62']
ten days!!!!!!
banana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif

how long for you now?

 

2 weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='xtraspicy62 wrote:


canada06 wrote:

xtraspicy62']
ten days!!!!!!
banana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif

how long for you now?

 

2 weeks

 

 

Fantastic!!! Good for you, I'm right behind you. thumbsup.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='canada06 wrote:


Zhivvy']You're all doing so well!!!

I don't write in here much as I do smoke and haven't given up! But I can honestly say that I don't have many - 3 or 4 a day. On the odd occassion I have a few more than that.

And I do know that is no justification. I know that I will give up soon but not quite ready to do it yet. But this thread will probably make me do it sooner rather than later!

You have to do it when your mind tells you it's time. No amount of logic other than that will work. You have to be ready to do it. All in good time my friend.

Thank you smile.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

glasses.gifSorry but I respectfully disagree.  I gave up smoking on 1st February 2004 and not through sheer will power.  however I am determined to stay off them for good now. I went to my doctor who explained that it was all the toxins that are now in cigarettes that do the most harm.

 

I gave up via the smoking cessation clinic.  I cut down gradually and then picked a day to give up actually smoking cigarettes and I used nicotine patches, and also had an inhaler which is shaped like a plastic cigarette and contains a nicotine cartridge and it tastes disgusting - but you sometimes need the feeling of putting something in your mouth as this is all part of your habit.  I gradually cut down on the patches as well. I used to cut them in half and eventually didn't need them anymore, but you are encouraged to keep some patches and the inhaler just in case you feel absolutely desperate.  I moved a couple of months later and yes I did use the odd patch and the inhaler but haven't since.

 

Previously I had been able to give up due to sheer will power but again I cut down gradually.  I gave up for 4 years. Then I had a relationship breakdown and started again.

 

I started smoking when I was about 15 because my brother did but I have never been a very heavy smoker and I have always been able to give up if I really wanted to - and that is half the battle.

 

Each time I have started again it has got harder and harder to give up.

 

The most tempting time was if I was out with friends in a pub and had consumed some alcohol - because this immediately lowers your resistance.  Fortunately smoking is now banned in pubs so that is not a problem.

 

Another temptation is seeing someone light up on screen because it looks great and you immediately wonder what you are missing.

 

Also I still have the occasional dream where I am smoking - however this makes my resolve stronger because in my dream the cigarettes taste horrible and all I can think of is that all my effort has gone to waste. I did wake up in a panic once as I was convinced that there was a lit cigarette in my bed!

 

I would never smoke again because of my daughter.  She is now 8 and I wouldn't want her to see me smoking or set a bad example or put her health in danger and she would give me a very extensive lecture as well!

 

Once you have given up you will not be able to stand the smell of smoke! Your nose will be more sensitive to it than someone who has never smoked before.

 

My brother still smokes but his partner does not and I walked into their house the other day and it was like walking into a cloud.  I had to immediately open a window as it felt like I was gasping for breath, but it didn't bother my  brother's partner.  I can only think that she must have got used to it and I dread to think of the effect it is having on her lungs from passive smoking. I t also made me think of how selfish I had been in the past by smoking in front of non-smokers.

 

My younger brother and his wife recently gave up together through sheer willpower but everytime they have tried previously they started again.  This time they changed their living habits as well so that they are not in the same situation. 

They stopped drinking at the same time and took their television out of the kitchen and ate their meals upstairs in their bedroom.

For the first couple of weeks they felt terrible - due to the detox.

However - they slept a lot more and also had a much deeper sleep and wake up a lot more refreshed.

I hope they keep it up.

 

To conclude.

 

 

You have to really want to give up

If you have been doing it for many years you need all the help and support you can get

You need a reason to stay a non-smoker - The health of your loved ones for example.

If you are in a very stressful situation at the moment (i.e. moving home, a bereavement, a relationship breakdown, being made redundant etc) it is best to wait until your situation is a lot calmer before you attempt this momentous task.

Your hands will need to be kept busy

You will feel the need to put something in your mouth - I still do - I drink a lot of warm herbal teas etc.

Expect to gain weight - not just because you are eating more because your food tastes better but because smoking can burn up to about 200 calories at least and acts as an appetite suppresant.

However, if - as suggested previously you go for a walk or do any form of exercise when you get a craving this will be minimal.

It has been said that nicotine is more addictive than heroin

The first day is the hardest!

After the third day things get easier!

Your lungs will thank you as will your environment

 

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!  xxxxxxxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not disagreeing with Zivvy but whoever said you can only give up through sheer will power. xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now is an excellent time to start playing an instrument!

A woodwind instrument would be very beneficial as you are using your hands and mouth and exercising your lungs.

Many music shops will hire instruments.

 

Keep up the good work.

 

XXXXXXXOOOOOOOXXXXXXX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Now is an excellent time to start playing an instrument!

A woodwind instrument would be very beneficial as you are using your hands and mouth and exercising your lungs.

Many music shops will hire instruments.

 

Keep up the good work.

 

XXXXXXXOOOOOOOXXXXXXX

I agree with you there...Im trying to play the flute, and all the rhythmic breathing, is not only very relaxing, but its improvng my breathe control and lung power.  that little thing takes a ridiculous amount of  air to be blown into it...it feels like trying to play a tuba the size of a stick!

 

so if Im too tired to ride my bike (believe me Im sooore in the butt!!), I am trying to pick up my flute.

shirley I bought it used and its an armstrong with a silver head...its really nice! great idea!! thank you!

 

A2303_flute_lipsCloseUp_198x161_133.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm not disagreeing with Zivvy but whoever said you can only give up through sheer will power. xx

What you say Shirley makes gret sense. And I said before I am nearer to giving up than I have in the past. I have said in the past that I don't want to give up as I enjoy it too much. Now I am at a place where I think about when I give up. I only smoke in the evenings now. Very occassionally I will have one during the day, but that is rare. My first one is about 8pm and have three or four in the evening, sometimes less. So I know that I am getting there. I can go days  without them too. So I now it is only habbit and I want a cigarette instead of actually craving one. Maybe my new healthy eating and wieght loss and race training regime will help me to cut back even more to finally quitting.

And to all of you on here who are doing it - well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...