Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aussiegirl

U2 photograph auction *Flood relief fundraiser*

On very special occasions we do allow or promote special fundraisers by our members, this is one - Baja

In the wake of the devastating floods that have hit Queensland, Australia over the last week, I wanted to do something special to help raise money for the thousands of people that have been affected.

So I asked some of my dear friends and fellow Aussie U2 fans if they would like to join me in an effort to make a difference (even if only a small one) and raise some more money to be donated to the Queensland Government's Flood Relief Appeal - http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

U2.com have also been very generous to allow me to post this thread and ebay links in the hope that you may like to bid on one (or more) of the four sets of photographs taken at the Australian shows last month - see below.

Please note - this is a fan based initiative and is not a U2.com auction and U2 are not formally affiliated with this.

There is one set of four photographs from each city on the U2 360 Tour in December 2010 - Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney & Perth.

ALL of the winning bids will be donated to the Queensland Government's Flood Relief Appeal and a copy of the official receipt will be sent to the winning bidders. I will also send copies of the receipts to the U2.com administrators.

The photographs will be printed in 8 x 10 inches (or A4) size.

I encourage you all to please consider placing a bid but if you cannot, please share the ebay links and this information with as many people as you can.

I am happy to answer any questions through this post or via Ebay (yes I am Musicgirlu2).

My special thanks to the maddest Aussie of all - Leonie, the loveliest guy in Oz - Jets and the greatest rock chick ever - Selena, for donating some of their beautiful photographs along with some of mine.

In case you don't know how terrible these floods have been, areas the size of France & Germany have been basically destroyed, thousands of homes ruined and lives tragically lost. And all of this in the 3rd biggest city in Australia and it's surrounding major towns, including Toowoomba where I once lived.

I'll leave you with these two photos - the first one I took at the Brisbane concert at Suncorp Stadium on Wed Dec 8 2010.

The second photo is Suncorp Stadium exactly 5 weeks later - flooded in the city of Brisbane!

I hope that you will please help us and in the process obtain some beautiful U2 photographs - thank you.

P1030876.jpg

396398-suncorp.jpg

Amazing idea Aussiegirl, I hope that you raise lots of money through this!

great idea guys.

I have already donated, but I will be watching carefully Pete's pic of Larry and I could be swayed to go again

Well done guys. I really admire what you've done here.

Brilliant!!! Just like it's creators! AWESOME job putting this together.

Got my "watch" list going so I can keep an eye on the bidding.... ;o)

What a great and positive idea!!!! I wish you great success!!!!

Thanks so much for all the support after day one.

Im happy to report bidding is underway and atu2.com has posted the information on their home page too!

There amazing sets of photo's, I'm sure you'll do well with them. Skint at present so I'll just be making a donation. Great idea and really positive way to raise funds.

Good luck.

The thanks should all go to aussiegirl as it was her brilliant idea to start with and I was more than happy for her to use whatever photos of mine she wanted. She should change her name to aussie_legend as that's exactly what she is, bless her!

This is such an inspiring thing that you are doing Georgia and the photographs that are up for auction are just brilliant!!!

Best of luck with the auction! <3  Dion

Cheers for all the kind words everyone - it's great to be able to use some of these fantastic photos to help fellow Aussies who are in need.

Here's a link of before and after pics - just drag your mouse from left to right over the photo.....

http://www.abc.net.au/new...-floods/beforeafter2.htm

Also Im very happy to report that Ebay Australia have generously agreed to charge no fees for all four sets up for auction (ie they wont profit from it), which is greatly appreciated. 

So please keep bidding and sharing the links - thank you happy.gif

you made atu2 agirl! niceone!

U2 Fan Launches Auction for Aussie Aid

@U2, January 17, 2011

By: Tassoula / @tassoula

In response to the devastating floods that have paralyzed part of Queensland, Australia, U2 fan Georgia E. is auctioning 8x10 photos of the recent 360 tour on eBay with 100% of the proceeds going to benefit Queensland Government's Flood Relief Appeal.

Each set includes a photo of each band member during one of the December shows.

Browse one set here, or to see all of the offerings, visit her seller's shop.

Georgia, who goes by "musicgirlu2" on eBay, has a 100% positive feedback rating, so you can bid with confidence.

well look at you, your so pretty! who would turn you down!!!! not even the high and mighty u2 camp!

i wasnt being funny! you are!

you also have a heart of gold too! (going back to those TOOL posters.......................)

but yeah! aussiegirl for u2 fan hero 2011 looks on the cards! WELL DONE!

You're very sweet Mac, thanks :) Just a great opportunity to help out a little, especially knowing U2 fans are always very generous.

Great Idea Aussiegirl.

I live in Brisbane and have family in an area of regional Queensland which has also been affected, (all safe) and have been overwhelmed by the devastation I have seen. I've also been so uplifted by the community spirit that this event has brought about.

I live in a unit that had water in it in 1974 (the last massive flood in Brisbane for those outside of Australia. Before that it was 1893) and I remember that overwhelming fear I had listening to the car radio, while queueing for three hours for sandbags, when our State Premier gave the press release announcing the worst....that it was to be as grave as 1974 or worse. Even with our great Wivenhoe Dam that was built after 1974 and was supposed to stop 1974 from ever happening again. That fear of thinking this just might actually happen to me.(I live on a creek close to the inner city, not the river so I knew I wasn't at as much risk) I can only imagine the terror and disbelief for those who heard that and lived on the river and just knew 100% that they would be going under water. Luckily for me the rain eased at the right time and my place was safe. Damage already done however for those on the river though. That water was coming down and nothing was going to stop it.

I watched through tears at the horror of the flash flooding in Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley. Things like that just don't happen here.....but they did. Devastating. I watched with disbelief as the waters rose in Brisbane, just as I had watched them rise through parts of Queensland where I grew up. Then the shock of seeing what was left when the waters receded. Then I watched with pride and amazement at how thousands and thousands of people gave up their time to help those who were so badly affected. Complete strangers helping other complete strangers.

I am just so in awe at the community spirit in this city at the moment. I have NEVER EVER EVER EVER seen anything like it!! It's been truly truly amazing. I was able to spend a couple of days helping people clean up, shovel mud, and talk to home owners who have lost everything. I am so overwhelmed and feel like I have been crying all week. One little old Irish man (called Patrick...I kid you not) whose house I was working at, trying to clean 6 inches thick sludge mud out of his yard, who has nothing and can't get flood insurance took me into his house and showed me around the shell of what was left.. He pointed out the few things he had left and told me how his house used to be full of music........now it's gone. He was still upbeat though. I couldn't believe it. And when I left he said thank you and told me he hoped I win the lotto! (Lottery) HE.....hoped....I....would win lotto!!!! And he had nothing! Gosh...heartbreaking....

There was thousands of people out helping and hundreds literally just on the street I was in. It was one of the first streets to go under and down the bottom low end where Patrick was it was pretty bad. But everyone felt like friends. You just talked to strangers like you'd known them all your life. People would be shovelling mud and it would fly into other people's face but no one cared. People said sorry, the other person would just laugh. No one got irate.

Dozens of other volunteers going up and down the street with free food and drinks. Stuff they had made/bought themselves. Checking on our welfare. It was truly truly astounding and humbling. I have never ever been so proud of my city in my entire life... The community spirit was just so unlike anything I have experienced before. And I grew up in a country town.

Sorry for the ramble.....it's nice to be able to write it down.

Thank you to everyone for caring.

Regards, Karen x

thanks! :)

well it's great to see u2 fans acting the way you have done. i am going to keep an eye on the bay of e!

Great Idea Aussiegirl.

I live in Brisbane and have family in an area of regional Queensland which has also been affected, (all safe) and have been overwhelmed by the devastation I have seen. I've also been so uplifted by the community spirit that this event has brought about.

I live in a unit that had water in it in 1974 (the last massive flood in Brisbane for those outside of Australia. Before that it was 1893) and I remember that overwhelming fear I had listening to the car radio, while queueing for three hours for sandbags, when our State Premier gave the press release announcing the worst....that it was to be as grave as 1974 or worse. Even with our great Wivenhoe Dam that was built after 1974 and was supposed to stop 1974 from ever happening again. That fear of thinking this just might actually happen to me.(I live on a creek close to the inner city, not the river so I knew I wasn't at as much risk) I can only imagine the terror and disbelief for those who heard that and lived on the river and just knew 100% that they would be going under water. Luckily for me the rain eased at the right time and my place was safe. Damage already done however for those on the river though. That water was coming down and nothing was going to stop it.

I watched through tears at the horror of the flash flooding in Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley. Things like that just don't happen here.....but they did. Devastating. I watched with disbelief as the waters rose in Brisbane, just as I had watched them rise through parts of Queensland where I grew up. Then the shock of seeing what was left when the waters receded. Then I watched with pride and amazement at how thousands and thousands of people gave up their time to help those who were so badly affected. Complete strangers helping other complete strangers.

I am just so in awe at the community spirit in this city at the moment. I have NEVER EVER EVER EVER seen anything like it!! It's been truly truly amazing. I was able to spend a couple of days helping people clean up, shovel mud, and talk to home owners who have lost everything. I am so overwhelmed and feel like I have been crying all week. One little old Irish man (called Patrick...I kid you not) whose house I was working at, trying to clean 6 inches thick sludge mud out of his yard, who has nothing and can't get flood insurance took me into his house and showed me around the shell of what was left.. He pointed out the few things he had left and told me how his house used to be full of music........now it's gone. He was still upbeat though. I couldn't believe it. And when I left he said thank you and told me he hoped I win the lotto! (Lottery) HE.....hoped....I....would win lotto!!!! And he had nothing! Gosh...heartbreaking....

There was thousands of people out helping and hundreds literally just on the street I was in. It was one of the first streets to go under and down the bottom low end where Patrick was it was pretty bad. But everyone felt like friends. You just talked to strangers like you'd known them all your life. People would be shovelling mud and it would fly into other people's face but no one cared. People said sorry, the other person would just laugh. No one got irate.

Dozens of other volunteers going up and down the street with free food and drinks. Stuff they had made/bought themselves. Checking on our welfare. It was truly truly astounding and humbling. I have never ever been so proud of my city in my entire life... The community spirit was just so unlike anything I have experienced before. And I grew up in a country town.

Regards, Karen x

Geez Karen....I think you've summed it up right there. Very glad to hear that you are ok.........I have friends in Brissy who have expressed similar sentiments - the generosity of everyone pitching in to help.

For me it was what happened in Twba/Lockyer Valley - I lived in Twba back in 2000 and seeing what happened was devastating! As you said, that kind of thing doesnt happen in Oz...or so we thought. It's been very humbling to see the Aussie spirit shine through and you cant helped but be moved by it.

[quote name='aussiegirl wrote:

MissKaren']Great Idea Aussiegirl.

Regards, Karen x

Geez Karen....I think you've summed it up right there. Very glad to hear that you are ok.........I have friends in Brissy who have expressed similar sentiments - the generosity of everyone pitching in to help.

For me it was what happened in Twba/Lockyer Valley - I lived in Twba back in 2000 and seeing what happened was devastating! As you said, that kind of thing doesnt happen in Oz...or so we thought. It's been very humbling to see the Aussie spirit shine through and you cant helped but be moved by it.

Thanks Aussiegirl  (Is it Georgia?).  It is a great thing you have organised here....and thank you to everyone who has supplied their photos.  You are all wonderful....  xxx