illumination70

What Good Thing Happened To You Today (Continued)

20 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I was in a second-hand music shop today and found 3 vinyl Bon Jovi singles for £2 each. I bought them and then gave them to my sister as a present. She's not well at the moment - she has epilepsy and is undergoing some scary tests, so I wanted to cheer her up. 

Things have been tough lately, but it was good to put a smile on her face.

I'm very sorry.   I have a friend with epilepsy who has suffered a lot.  They got it under control-not without some hitches but she has not had a seizure for a long time.  Pleas for healing shall be sent up into our universe. 

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

I'm very sorry.   I have a friend with epilepsy who has suffered a lot.  They got it under control-not without some hitches but she has not had a seizure for a long time.  Pleas for healing shall be sent up into our universe. 

Thank you. In my sister's case, they think the seizures might be a symptom of another condition, which is frightening. It's bad enough now - the seizures are affecting her mental health and even memory. It terrifies me that if she has a really bad one, she could end up brain damaged or something. I had epilepsy when I was younger - but in my case it was the absence kind where I just blanked out for a few seconds each time. To most people it looked like I just wasn't listening. That was scary enough as I could never remember what had happened in those seconds. Luckily my teachers at school were understanding - I had an information card to carry with me which helped. 

In this case, my sister's been having these seizures for years and even medication isn't solving them. It scares the living daylights out of me and I can't do much to help. 

5 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I can't do much to help

You seem to love her very much.  That's everything, which I think you know.

I'm very sorry to hear all of this, padawanbeck84.  I will continue to say prayers.  Please keep me/us posted.   Not about me when I say my good thing is that I care.  💙

• Like 2

I went to the cinema today. I couldn't find a cinema in Telford that was showing the film I wanted to see, so I had to go to Birmingham, to my favourite cinema The Electric. I don't normally do horror films, but this one was more of a comedy - and apart from a few necessary scenes, it's not overly gory either, so I could cope with that. 

And there's a Star Wars easter egg that made me laugh myself silly. Although with Adam Driver in the film (who plays Kylo Ren in SW), I would have been mildly disappointed if there hadn't been a reference in there somewhere :lol:

• Like 1

What movie?  You big teaser!  

I am on an intermission from watching The Joshua Tree 30 on YouTube.   It's awesome.

12 hours ago, Manohlive said:

What movie?  You big teaser!  

I am on an intermission from watching The Joshua Tree 30 on YouTube.   It's awesome.

It's called "The Dead Don't Die", directed by Jim Jarmusch. 

I'm laughing at my fellow Dawes fans giving me a lot of crap for admitting I like Matchbox Twenty.   I also saw the Third Rock From the Sun episodes where William Shatner plays the big giant head, comes to earth drunk and impregnates Jan Curran's character.  It's so funny I can't even remember her name right now.  So stupid it's brilliant.  I wish I could find a bunch of episodes of Are You Being Served.  It's been a rough few days.  I'm going to watch Broke Girls now. 

The library was closed today, but that meant I was able to get to a Soup Social and art session at a different local community centre. The soup was really yummy and my picture turned out quite well too. We were drawing with pastels and charcoal so it got quite messy, but I had a good time :D

Posted (edited)

I social media ‘unfriended’ a former work colleague who kept on posting closet rascist posts about immigration.

the daft twunt works with at least 2 doctors from India....

idiot - you are the weakest link.. goodbye!

Edited by doctornickriviera
  • Like 2

Saw a colleague the other day, I guess he's running for President of the US.

20190715_110641.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 7:55 AM, hestia said:

Saw a colleague the other day, I guess he's running for President of the US.

20190715_110641.jpg

the only way they could pick on him at the debates was to make fun of him raising his hands in the passion of that for which he believes.  Thus far, he's getting my vote.  

• Like 1

This is from last night, but I took another trip to my favourite cinema to see their 20th anniversary screening of The Matrix. I'm glad I got there early as it was totally sold out. Hardly surprising as it's a classic film. And I'm so glad I wasn't the only person quoting along with it - someone in the row behind was doing exactly the same. And I think we *all* stuck our finger up to Agent Smith at the appropriate point right along with Keanu :lol: 

And as I'm typing Keanu's name, Spotify shuffles round and plays me a Dogstar song with him on bass. Woah indeed! :o

13 hours ago, Manohlive said:

the only way they could pick on him at the debates was to make fun of him raising his hands in the passion of that for which he believes.  Thus far, he's getting my vote.  

Glad to hear it! To us over in the UK he's like the American version of Jeremy Corbyn. If those two could get into office the "special relationship" between to the US & UK could actually be truly special.

• Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 1

On 8/4/2019 at 3:24 AM, padawanbeck84 said:

20th anniversary screening of The Matrix

I love that movie.

On 8/4/2019 at 3:24 AM, padawanbeck84 said:

plays me a Dogstar song with him on bass

They were at Summerfest, a huge musical festival here in Milwaukee.   It was a few years ago.   We went.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manohlive said:

They were at Summerfest, a huge musical festival here in Milwaukee.   It was a few years ago.   We went.

You got to see Dogstar live?? Woah.... (Where's the Bill and Ted GIF when I need it? :D )

I remember them playing at Glastonbury in 1999, but I was only 15 at the time and wasn't allowed to go to concerts until the following year. Not that I could ever have got tickets for Glastonbury. It's virtually impossible even now.

16 minutes ago, padawanbeck84 said:

You got to see Dogstar live?? Woah.... (Where's the Bill and Ted GIF when I need it? :D )

source.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

It's virtually impossible even now

The Newport Folk Festival in America is like that.   Tickets are gone instantly.  Nobody knows the lineup when they go on sale.  They start announcing it months after the sale.  Dawes played North Hills, their first album, start to finish at this festival.  It is the tenth anniversary of its release on August 18, 2019.  I know Dawes fans who live out East. They bought tickets not even knowing Dawes was an act for Newport.  I was very happy for them yet quite bummed for me.

.I saw them Dawes live this past weekend. For their first set, they also played North Hills, start to finish.  It was the second show of a two night stand at a venue called Codfish Hollow Barnstormers. They did North Hills because it's a very special place and they have history with it.  None of us knew they were going to do it.  I had such a great time.  I saw many people I now know from different parts of America. We all go to as many Dawes shows as possible. Lots of them say hi to U2.com.  (I talk about U2 at Dawes as much as I do Dawes on U2.com.)   Being able to go is my good thing for a long time.  I'm choosing it for today on U2.com. .

Edited by Manohlive

Okay.  I've another good thing.  That GIF Max posted is perfect.  I'm roaring.  

• Like 1

I love that GIF. I use that film as a reference point so much that "Ted-level woah" is a regular measurement and part of my vocabulary - and my friends and family know exactly what I mean. The opposite is an understated Neo-level "woah". And if you've seen Toy Story 4, Duke Caboom provides a nice, middle-level example to add to the scale :lol:

Anyway, my good thing for today: I was going into a cafe at lunchtime and a lady that was coming out complimented me on my T-shirt - it turns out that we both went to the same concert on Powderfinger's last UK tour. And apparently it's only the second-ever time she's seen anyone in the UK wearing a Powderfinger T-shirt. I think it made her day as much as it did mine. 

On 8/8/2019 at 8:43 PM, peterferris8 said:

This arrived! 

IMG_1117.jpeg

What is it ? A home generator to beat the post Brexit power chaos that began today?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

What is it ? A home generator to beat the post Brexit power chaos that began today?

I wish, but it's a guitar amp through I shall use my riffs to power up the whole world!

• Like 3

It's been a crap week.  I needed something good.  I just realized I have a seat right up front for Melissa Etheridge tonight.  I completely forgot.  I have a concert to forget all the crap.