Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

'Vinyl Special' U2.com SOI Limited Edition Giveaway

SOI_giveaway01_zpsda570dd5.jpg

This is a great opportunity for fans to grab a copy of this super rare vinyl release, and this topic is where you need to add your entry.

Full details of the offer & requirements can be found here : http://www.u2.com/news/title/vinyl-special

"What we're looking for from you is a vivid memory of an early gig - or a show that changed your life. 

Could be the first band you saw... or just one you'll never forget. 

Anything strange or wonderful take place - or was it a total let-down ? 

Did you meet them backstage after the show - or have you never listened to them again? 

Extra points if you can include a photo of the night - with your mates or with that weird hairstyle you had at the time or of the poster promoting the gig. 

We'll publish some of the best entries on the site and our favourites from U2.com subscribers will receive one of these special Songs Of Innocence vinyl LP's. (You can still enter if you're not a subscriber - we've blagged a few other Songs of Innocence prizes too.) 

Post your pictures / links to the story up on social media (Twitter / FB / Instagram etc) using the hashtag #unforgettablegig and enter in (..this thread..).

Entries close on Friday October 17th."

Please keep this topic for ENTRIES ONLY : and any discussion about entries, questions etc, please post in the Discussion thread - best of luck to all

It's spring of 1992.  I'm 14.  I've purchased three seminal albums by this Irish band that I've heard might be Christian -- "The Joshua Tree," "Achtung Baby," and "Rattle and Hum." These songs have their hooks in me already, like some kind of sonic earworm, but I'm not a believer yet, not really, just a casual fan.  Still, I've got enough sense to know that something major is shifting in music, and these four blokes from Ireland are at the center of it.

When tickets go on sale for the Zoo TV Outside Broadcast tour, I call my local Providence Ticketmaster.  I get nothing but busy signals.  It's driving me crazy, and maybe it's that whole thing of being confronted by an impossible task, but it only strengthens my resolve: I now *have* to see these guys play at Foxboro Stadium.  But after twenty minutes trying to get through, I decide to get savvy and track down the number for a Ticketmaster outlet in Maine.  I call, get through straightaway, only to have a kindly operator tell me that the show *just* sold out, BUT THEY JUST ADDED A SECOND SHOW FOR AUGUST 22ND.  She promises to get me the best seats possible and I snap up two, for me and my friend Jesse.

Weeks later, the tickets arrive, and gag me with a spoon (which is how the young people talked back then) -- I have third row.  The kind Ticketmaster lady did indeed do me a solid.

Jesse and I roll up to Foxboro Stadium, dropped off by my mom, with no idea what to expect -- two kids left to their own devices.  Imagine my shock when we get down to the left side of the stage, by Edge, only to find that the third row tickets are ACTUALLY FIRST ROW.  The security guy smiles at us.  "You boys have no idea what you're in for," he says...and he's right.

Standing in front of Edge, with 50 speakers blowing my mind and eardrums, I witnessed the full-on power of U2.  They played their traditional Zoo TV setlist that night, but instead of "Bad," they played "Sunday Bloody Sunday" -- Bono pulled out an acoustic "So Cruel" -- they called George Bush and, when he wasn't available, Bono asked to speak to Barbara.  What amazed me most was how the songs I had listened to on the record sounded so different live, so much more vital -- the extended "Mysterious Ways" coda complete with slide guitar, the completely reimagined "Running to Stand Still," the acidic "Bullet the Blue Sky," the aggressive "Desire."

Within a month I had purchased the rest of their back catalogue.  Within six months I was learning to play their songs on my beat-up acoustic guitar.  Within a year I had started collecting every single, so I could have every B-side.  I had become a full-on evangelist, making mixes of their rarest stuff for my friends who were casual friends.  I became a ticket-buying maestro, figuring out the ins and outs of getting tickets for every subsequent tour.  (Seriously -- on the Vertigo tour I might as well have been a ticket broker for my friends, getting tickets for Dublin, San Diego, Anaheim, Tampa, and elsewhere.)

Because of this band I started discovering music I didn't know existed -- from Dublin contemporaries like Gavin Friday to forerunners like Van Morrison.  Thanks to U2's experimentation with gospel and blues I discovered BB King in college, and because Miles Davis listened to "Unforgettable Fire" as he lay dying, I discovered jazz and the miracle not only of Miles but of Coltrane too.

U2's music has been blowing my mind and changing my life for twenty years.  And it started with one electric night in Foxboro.

post-290149-0-86922200-1412624196_thumb.jpg

Edited by NScoggins

Brussels 2 - Thursday 23rd september 2010: that night my grandfather died, I was far away not with him , It was raining outside and I couldn't cry...

Hopefully a friend was here,see pic from U2 family and they played BAD...Thank you U2.

U2 are always outstanding under the rain, I will never forget!!!

post-350544-0-55264700-1412624105_thumb.jpg

i had u2s first five albums the unforgetable fire tour was playing in dublin croker i had got apot to piss in at the time so i got a brain wave i got a wooding ladder ran up the tracks from east wall with the ladder put on the wall at hill 15 climb up jump over shout down to the crowd and they caught me proper u2 fans best free concert ever if makes u2 feel any better i have paid into every other concert that they have ever played in ireland watch more gigs

What can I say? Sleeping 4 days outside Azteca Stadium, Waiting for the most beautiful and great day of my life coming true during U2 360 Tour Sexico Can't be better thing on my life, Days are passing by and My head Still living That Moment, I will never Forget..

post-288035-0-75526700-1412625162_thumb.jpg

post-288035-0-45637900-1412625178_thumb.jpg

U2 in Dublin, Coke Park 24.07. 2009: Not my first concert but the most emotional concert. It was my Big Dream to see U2 in their hometown. It was just amazing to spend the concert with my best friends . I saw U2 in Dortmund 15.12.1989 for the First Time. It was also my First concert ever. Unfortunatly I broke my right leg two weeks before the concert. But my brother helped me to go to the concert and my mum had knitted me one sock with a U2 logo on it for my toes.

post-578561-0-50014200-1412627340_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vannelle

This is not my first gig (REO in 81) or my first U2 gig (Chicago 83).  But my most memorable one.

My best friend from elementary school, Paul, attended most of the shows with me.  And he was at many U2 gigs with me through the years back to JT Tour.  We had scored fan club tickets for the 2005 Omaha show and were GA.  We had also met the manager of the venue online and met him in line for the show.  It is always great hooking up with people from U2.com!  Anyhow, we were sitting inside in the GA line (they were kind to us as it was mid-December in Omaha....cold!) and we looked around.  We were easily the oldest in line and were reminiscing our shows form the past.  It was funny how the young fans gathered around in amazement to hear what it was like during the peak of U2 creativity and the shows were epic!  

Anyhow, we were lucky to get the early pass in and were next to Warren Buffets family in the ellipse.  They were really nice.  Second row in front of Edge is where we ended up.  Paul and I had been lucky enough to see them front row at many early gigs and this was a much more pleasant way to see them than the battles we went through back in the day.  The show was fantastic as expected.  We really dug hearing Crumbs and there was a little flub when they played it.  Which was funny.  But when they played 40, Paul and I looked at each other and remembered our first U2 gig together in 87 in Iowa City where they closed with the same song.  We both hugged each other and Paul told me how much he appreciated the shows we attended and they were great escapes for him as well as lasting memories.  And he spoke of the show for months afterwards. 

That was the last show I would see with Paul.  Depression is something I wish on not even my worst enemy.  And Paul could not take it anymore unfortunately.  I lost my best friend from childhood.  You just don't get another one of those.  My heart will always be empty now without my buddy to share things with.  He was well read, intelligent, and a true gentleman.  I still cannot listen to 40 and I probably never will again.  I just wish for my friend again.  I guess I am selfish that way.

Mi primer concierto, Uffffff, haya por los 90' estadio Vicente calderón Madrid, y lo primero de todo la forma curiosa de conseguir las entradas, fue a través del cupón de una revista, y tras varias semanas llegó la carta con las entradas, fue increíble....., y una vez alli, y comenzar en concierto, con esos muñecos con las cabezas de Bono, edge....algo increíble, inolvidable.

(english translation) : My first concert, Uffffff, is for the 90 'stadium Vicente Calderon Madrid, and first of all the curious way to get tickets was through coupon from a magazine, and after several weeks the letter arrived with the tickets, was amazing ..... and once there, and start live with those dolls with the heads of Bono, edge .... unbelievable, unforgettable.

It was 1997. I was 17 years old and on my second year of highschool. 

Near april, my sister told me her favorite band would come to Mexico to promote their most recent album and asked me if I'd like to go. I said "yeah, why not? Sounds like fun". Then, my sister and me (along with some other members of our familiy) bought the cheapiest tickets available. I had no money, I was a student, you can't blame me. 

I knew nothing about the band playing that night. I knew just one song (With or without you) and that was all. 

The date of the show? December 3rd. 8 o´clock, Foro Sol, Mexico City. 

Despite the traffic, we arrived on time to watch how the venue filled with so many people... 

I had never been to a concert before, that was my first time. And to watch that gigantic screen in front of me, it amazed me. It thrilled me. "How come that is a part of a show?, I thought. Yeah, I was so noob. Control Machete opened the show that night. Great performance and the audience responded kindly, but nothing too special. 

Then, near 9:20 pm, the lights went out and the people went crazy. Screams were all over the place. I've never seen nothing like it. The passion, the weirdesness, the screams, the happiness, the lights... 

The screen on the stage turned on and I could see the images so clearly. It was them. The band, walking through the crowd directly to the stage. Again, the people went totally crazy about it. 

That crazyness went contagious, because I felt something. 

The songs began to roar and the party just escalated. Melody after melody, the show just got bigger and bigger. I didn't knew the songs, so I concentrated in the show, the screen, the lights, the crowd, the band in front of me (we had like 300 meters and thousand of screaming fans in between, but I didn't care...)

Then, it happened. 

The sound of the guitar still remained in the air when the bass began that song. That song that I finally was able to recognize. That song I've always liked it but was to lazy to know where it came from or who played it. 

It was New Year's Day. And for all I care about, it was new year's day for me, because I din't knew it yet, but that was the exact moment when my life changed. When this band changed me. Forever. 

The concert went on and with every song I just felt completly in love with each and every one of them. With the power of the perfomance, with the concept of the show. With the band's music. 

I was stunned. I couldn´t even speak. I remained silent until we returned home. 

The next day I woke up the same man, but something in me was different. Something happened to me the night of december 3rd, 1997, when I was just 17 years old, during my second year of highschool. 

Since then, I commited myselfe to never attend  another show and not know who they are and what they are singing. 

I even learden to play the guitar and bass guitar, inspired by that band I knew nothing about... 

U2's PopMart Tour changed my life. For the better. And Inspired me to do and become someone better than I was. 

Since that night I am indebt to my sister. And I am sorry, I couldn't take any pictures... 

But that night (and THAT song) remains in video. Forever. 

Cheers! 

Edited by Avion Espia

My first real concert was back in the 80's and going to see Huey Lewis and the News play in my home state.  I was 14 and this was HUGE for me to be able to go with my friend and her older sister. The show was fantastic and opened my eyes up to the amazing experience of seeing music live vs hearing it on the radio or from a record.  Cut to a couple of years later and seeing INXS ... oh, now that was a show and just fantastic ... then, unfortunately, many, many years go by until I can finally get back in the concert groove and who do I see?  U2 in Boston ... yes, it was unforgettable and has lead to a re-commitment on my part to see as many shows as I can and by the artists that I love.  I can't wait to see u2 again next year!!  ‪#‎unforgettablegig‬

Pearl Jam had been really hard to see in the US because of their TicketMaster boycott.  My last year of college was their return to major venue touring.  I scraped together some dough and a couple of close friends and we headed to the show in Indianapolis.  The night started off with a guy peeing on my friends leg- enough said about that incident- but ended on a super high note.  This was the night that President Bill Clinton admitted to the sex scandal with Monica Lewinski! Pearl Jam is a pretty activist oriented band in their own right and actually stopped the show and lowered a screen so they could show the press event.  Afterwords, Eddie Vedder read the transcripts of the parts we missed and then dedicated the next song to Hilary- Betterman.  The entire event was crazy and would stick in my mind forever if that were the end of the story.  Sadly, I lost one of those close friends to a senseless act of violence about 3 years after that.  The fact that Charles was there with me that night is just one of the many reasons he stays in my heart today.  The night we dressed up in full make-up to see the Kiss reunion show is another, but I guess I only get one gig to choose from!  Thanks to all of you who read this far and 'Miss you Charles!.'

May 20, 2001. My first U2 show. My best friend's brother flew in from Florida to California for the show and we head down to San Jose from San Francisco. We get to the venue a few hours early to soak in the surroundings and as my friend hands me my ticket, I notice it was for the show the previous night. Heartbroken, we try the box office. Nothing. We call the ticket broker who sold us the tickets. There's nothing he could do. Dejected and thinking we are out of options, we put together a sign looking for tickets...and suddenly, our luck changes as all three of us somehow are able to score tickets from some kind folks heading to the show who didn't want to let their extras get in the hands of scalpers. We went from being dejected to elated in a matter of minutes - the night's showing was amazing and one I will never forget. #‎unforgettablegig‬

On sept. 30, 1997, I was almost 6 month pregnant when U2 showed in Tel Aviv and I was there with my hysterical husband who was watching my belly while I danced, sang and enjoyed my FIRST U2 show. We were in front of the stage....I was like in a dream...the first best one. And whem the Edge sang Dancing Queen it was like magic and until today, 17 trs later, my daughter, that was with me (inside of me), love this version of the dancing queen. Unfortunatly, I don't have any pictures from this particullary show, but I will never forget it. Love U2!!! Kss, Samantha #unforgettablegig

Edited by Tipinha222

October 7, 1992.  Birmingham, Alabama.  I was 19 years old and it was my third U2 show, but the first two had been out of town.  At this show were all of my friends at the time, and virtually everyone who didn't live in a cave was in attendance in the state.  I had 7th row seats right in front of Bono's microphone, which were the best seats in the house (seats closer to the very tall stage blocked one's view of Larry). I had learned from the two previous shows I'd seen about the confessional booth set up on the back of the floor.  I made my way to the booth and tried to think of something clever to say.  I was told that 4 or 5 people's images/confessions would be shown on the gigantic ZooTV screens, so I really wanted badly to be chosen.  What I said was nowhere near a truthful confession, but it worked!  I was seen by everyone I knew and by thousands of strangers saying, "I've always wanted to have sex with a priest in a confessional."  For weeks afterwards I would run across random strangers who would say, "Hey, aren't you the U2 priest girl?"  Luckily, I don't embarrass easily..haha.  After that the local newspaper interviewed me.  The next day on the front page the headline was my quote and my name appeared next to Bono dressed as The Fly.  It was amazing!  I even registered to vote in my first presidential election at that show.  I will never forget it!  I have since seen 39 more shows, all of which are unique and mindblowing.  Can't wait to see/hear the new songs live!  Thank you for being the soundtrack to my life, U2!

Jen Larson

New Orleans, LA

#unforgettablegig Wow, where do I start? Would the most unforgettable gig in my life (and I am a really regular concert-goer) be U2 in October 2001 in Baltimore? So little time after 9-11 and me being an expatriate in the US (I originate from Germany) and having experienced this tragedy without family or close friends in a foreign country, this concert was so soothing and emotional that I will never forget it. Or would it be seeing Kate Bush live on stage just last month? A dream of thirty years coming true - and I was not the only one bursting into tears several times during the show.
Well, I think my most unforgettable gig will be U2 playing Gelsenkirchen on 12 June 2005. Odd choice you might think but this gig truly changed my life! It was the first time I ever met people from "my" forum (u2-forum.com; forum of u2tour.de, the biggest German-speaking fansite around) personally. I had never done anything like that before but we agreed in our forum to meet to queue for the concert around midnight - and most certainly were in front of one of the lines for GA. I am the one in the middle of the picture, sporting the Larry Mullen Band shirt :) During the long wait (which did not feel long) I got to meet so many new people and had so much fun. The show was just a blast! We ended up on the catwalk on Adam's side and the concert was fantastic!

But that's not the end of the story, not by far! The next day, I met even more people from the forum when we got into the TV studio where U2 performed live in Germany for the first time ever. They were so close!! Just brilliant! And again, that's not the end of my story! I went to see five U2 shows altogether that summer, something I would not have done on my own - it was great to find a group of fellow-minded U2 fans to travel and hang out with! Through the years (and U2 tours) friendships started and I found many concert buddies. In 2009/2010 I saw 18 U2 shows - again, something I would not have done on my own (including the long queueing in front of the venues) and I got to see places I wouldn't have travelled on my own (Horsens, Coimbra, Helsinki, etc.). We had huge gatherings in Dublin with dozens of people and after the final European concert in Rome in 2010, we spontaneously went out for dinner with about 40 people. So, in addition to seeing brilliant U2 concerts, my life was enriched with meeting fellow U2 fans - and that does not only include fans from German-speaking countries but fans from all over the world. And I look forward to seeing them again during the next tour and to sharing all the fun.

While I meet some concertbuddies only during U2 tours, there are friendships that started back then that go way beyond. We meet for other concerts or events although we are from all over the place. We travel abroad for fun or concerts (or both) when U2 are not on the road and so on. To cut a (really!) long story short: this very concert in Gelsenkirchen on 12 June 2005 really changed my life - and not only mine. I am sure that many more can tell a similar story and I hope that the band know that their music unites people, literally. :)

post-289432-0-10137900-1412628848_thumb.jpg

Mio primo concerto degli U2 a Milano Stadio S.Siro..2005!!! Un vero tour the force per ottenere i biglietti..grandissimi..Massy from Italy.

(english translation) : My first U2 concert in Milan Stadio S.Siro..2005 !!! A real tour the force to get the biglietti..grandissimi..Massy from Italy.

I was attending college in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in 1981.  One weekend night I happened to attend a college sponsored hall party and for me, it was a life changing experience.  Some local band was playing in the background and I honestly wasn't paying that much attention to them.  That all changed when they started playing a cover of I Will Follow.  I had never heard that song before but something about it immediately grabbed me and I couldn't stop listening.  I left the party that night not knowing anything about that song other than the lyrics playing over and over in my head.

A few weeks later I was walking through a shopping centre, past a record store, all of the sudden I heard that song playing - THAT SONG - I WILL FOLLOW...  Once finding out who was performing it I immediately purchased the vinyl LP Boy, by a band called U2 that I had never heard of.  I took it home and couldn't stop listening to it; one of the only records I have ever purchased that included amazing music from start to finish.  I then found an import record store and began buying every piece of U2 vinyl I could find and that they could get their hands on. 

My life was changed the night I heard that cover band's version of I Will Follow.  I have become an huge fan of U2 and have attended many of their concerts in North America.  I have also amassed a huge collection of U2 memorabilia, including a rare copy of U2 3.  For me no one else's music matters that much.

Well I have to go all the way back to 1981. I would be 15yrs old at the time and was immersed in punk rock and the New wave scene. My mate dreamed and talked and talked about going to see Stiff  little Fingers at Glasgow Apollo ( which has since been closed).  It was the Go For It tour. My mates big sister lived up in Glasgow and was a hairdresser (  more about that later). We gave her the nod and she obtained the tickets for us and said we could stay at her place for the night. All was well until my mate broke his leg playing footie and I wondered how he could go to the gig with his leg in full plaster. However I needn`t of worried as nothing was going to stop him going to this life changing event on two impressionable teenagers.

The build up to the gig was full of excitement and we made the trip up to Glasgow . We got to my mates sisters house and she gave us both the latest punk hairdos , wow amazing. The time came to get down to the venue and the air was full of energy, smoke and alcohol. Stiff Little Fingers hit the stage and the place erupted in a frenzy of pogoing. Even my mate was jumping around on one leg, god how I laughed. This energy lasted the whole show and matched Stiff Little Fingers pure raw energy on stage. All good things however must come to and end and the final encore ended and the crowd made the way out into the Glasgow night. My ears were ringing and I struggled to hear any conversation. This lasted well into the next day.

So all these years later and I still reminisce about this gig and still follow Stiff little Fingers watching them every year  in the Barrowlands in Glasgow and travelling around the country to various venues. Many times throughout my life Stiff Little Fingers have guided me through different issues in my life. Whenever I need some inspiration I put an album on the turntable and wait with excitement for that stylus to hit the first note and everything feels good again.

Edited by smudge1

1991, Hasselt Belgium. Nirvana opening the festival, being last minute replacements for Limbomaniacs, a local band. After discovering bands like Sonic Youth and Dinosaur jr a perfect day came to an end with a perfect double bill : the Pogues and the Ramones! No pictures but stil got the T-shirt and the poster.post-319280-0-02651400-1412630666_thumb.jpgpost-319280-0-66212000-1412630683_thumb.jpg

This year, it was 20 years ago - the 7th September 1994 in Czech Republic in Prague. I was 17 year old student and 5 years after "velvet revolution" showed Pink Floyd their first concert (The Division Bell tour) on the biggest stadium Strahov for 125000 fans and maybe it was the last concert - on the same stadium also played U2 in 1997 and I hope that it wasn't the last one!!! I hadn't money for ticket - the show was sold out and on black market costed tickets astronomic price... At least I wanted to hear voice and music of the Pink Floyd in front of the stadium. In one entrance there was to much people and some of these went throw without uncut off tickets. One great woman went back to another gate and gave me her uncut ticket. It was first part of dream - the second was whole concert in shower rain! It was amazing show, and I never see something before. I still have this ticket (cuted after my entry) from this woman and its has very big price for me. As I wrote - in summer 1997 played here U2 - POPmart tour and it was third part of my dream - magnificent :-)! Sorry for my English :-(

post-295164-0-22201100-1412630919_thumb.jpg

My first U2 concert was in Norfolk, Virginia in 1983. My daughter, who was then , 8 years old was the only person who would go with me and has gone with to every U2 show since. A young Bono climbing to the top of the speakers, so close we almost touch. I have been to many concerts over the years but NOT one of them  can compare. It was the best!!  I posted a picture of my tickets, parking stub, and newspaper review from that show on my Facebook page as I don't know how to upload them here.

Not my first gig ever, but my first U2 gig and yes, it kinda changed my life. I already purchased my ticket 3 days before the album was released and I was sweet 16 when I saw my first U2 gig - Popmart. Their only show to date to happen on Ex-GDR ground: July 29, 1997.

It was simply incredible - a complete different experience of LIVE SHOW. That's what U2 are about: the show is gigantic - and still not overshadowing the music. I don't remember too much but it was a hot summer night and the thing I remember best was Edge's "Daydream Believer" and all of these guys, like in their 30s and 40s around me, stared at me as I sang along every single word without seeing the words on the video screen (they all were taller than me and I was far on Adam's side). They probably thought I was too young to know such a song. I was so exhausted but right at 8am the next morning I went back to the city and....it happened:

popmart.jpg

I hardly remember how I happened to get a kiss from Bono, but I still remember his stubble on my face. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I was the youngest and only teenager around. Years went by and I even saw 360 but this show still is the most impressive I had ever seen in my life. It got me addicted to live shows but there's hardly some other act achieving the energy U2 bring up on stage. And I'm still baffled by the fact how shy and quiet Bono was when we met them.

I had to decide for one and U2 definitively had the most impact on my life, so I'd call this my #unforgettablegig

Saturday 15 June 1985, Geneva-Switzerland. My father was working for the local promoter back then and that saturday there was a corporate football tournament, the concert promoter's team (VSP) was playing and as I did the previous years I was there watching the games and kicking some balls between games. Then my dad picked me up and said "ok, we have to go now". I was really upset to leave the tournament but he tried to tell me that what we're about to see is something special and I may like it. As an 11 years old boy there was pretty much nothing I can do to make us stay and play football so we were going to the Patinoire des Vernets in the middle of the afternoon. I knew the band we were about to see live cause it was a pretty big band back then and I saw some of their promo clips on tv but it wasn't the kind of 80's pop/new wave bands I was enjoying. We arrived there and we went backstage, suddenly we stopped walking and he said "look, that's the singer/guitarist/songwriter"... well I just saw some random dude smoking a cigarette and waiting backstage so I wasn't really impressed. We shook hands and that was it.

The concert was about to begin, we took our seats and I was mentally prepared for 2 hours of torture. Lights went out and the first notes started, just some keyboard notes and then bam, lights, the whole band playing and the crowd going completely nuts. 

I can't believe I was enjoying this... the band that ruined my football day!!!! And the concert went by, song after song I can't believe how good that was. The next morning I told my folks that I have to buy at least one record to listen again and again the songs I heard the previous night, I wanted to relive that moment more and more. It wasn't a difficult task to choose what album to buy and I settled for the record they just released and the record that was the backbone of the show (of course), and I bought that vinyl and played it to death. While listening to that record I was contemplating the beautiful cover with that strange guitar made of steel with some coconut trees on it, I stared at the band picture on the inner sleeve to help me remember them playing live some part of the songs I was hearing... that was my first love story with a band and it started with that show that I didn't want to see. The funny thing is that it was a tour sponsored by philips to promote their new media, a new thing that was available for everyone to enjoy a new way of listening to music... that was the compact disc... and the band was Dire Straits, and of course the random guy I shook hands with was my first musical hero, Mr Mark Knopfler. I have seen tons of concerts since, and many from U2, and I've really enjoyed most of them but this saturday, in 1985, it was really a special night with a special band... a feeling I wish I will pass to my kids when I will take them to a rock concert they don't want to go to. That's why I picked this one as my #unforgettablegig

Edited by patjoller

My first concert was KISS in 1979 during the Dynasty Tour. Kiss had come through Oklahoma City and I was devastated that I missed the concert. I was 8 years old and Kiss and Star Wars was my life. My mom surprised me, my brother Josh and our best friend Koby with tickets. We drove to Tulsa, Oklahoma to see the concert. It was an amazing rock n roll circus that I will never forget. An 8 year old walking in high heels is also very entertaining! Drums rising through smoke and flames, a fire breathing blood spitting self proclaimed God of Thunder, rocket shooting Les Paul's, 4 men in high heels jumping all over the stage, etc. It was an unforgettable fire in the making. My ears rang after the concert and we could not hear anything. We all stayed in the venue until the crowd had left. The cleanup crew was making their rounds and we were on the hunt for guitar picks. We found several laying in the beer soaked trash. 3 roadies came out and asked if our mom's would like to come "backstage" with Kiss for awhile. Ace Frehley came out and gave Koby his white towel around his neck. Paul Stanley gave me his guitar pick. We BEGGED our moms to go backstage. We are very upset and crying that they wouldn't go backstage. I'm very thankful our mom's were wise to what goes on backstage at a Kiss concert. I would have hated for my mom being another notch on Gene's studded belt! 

This year I had the opportunity to take my 8 year old to see Kiss in Tulsa just like I had. We met the band and I told Paul Stanley about my first Kiss concert and now my son is at his first Kiss concert. He loved the story and asked where I was sitting in the show. I told him we were front row on the floor. He said "Great, I'm going to look for you". My son had a Kevin Durant #35 OKC jersey on with Paul Stanley's name on the back. During the Kiss concert Paul started talking about Kiss fan parents bringing THEIR kids to Kiss shows. HE then walked over to us and pulled my son on stage. It was a great nostalgic moment for me and my son. I will never forget that moment. (my mother in law won't forget either...she couldn't believe I took my son to see the Kings of Satan Service!)

U2 is my all time favorite band. I have seen them 19 times in concert including the Croke Park shows on the last tour in Ireland. My wife and I also went to see Bono's house in Killiney. I went up to the big gates and acted like I was knocking on it. The security guy yelled at me and we got it all on video (youtube "Busted at Bono's" for proof). I remember looking up in the sky at Croke Park. U2 were playing and the skies were red and orange. I couldn't believe I was seeing U2 under a blood red sky in Ireland. THAT was my favorite concert! I can't wait to take my son to his FIRST U2 concert. Sure hope it's next year! Come back to Oklahoma City and I ALL I WANT IS THIS VINYL!!!!!

The photos are of me (Paul Stanley) in high heels, my brother Josh as "Peter Criss" and Koby as "Ace" in 1979. This was before the concert. The other photo is my 8 year old son on stage with Kiss on August 29, 2014.

post-309714-0-12120800-1412630925_thumb.jpg

post-309714-0-59297600-1412631041_thumb.jpg

U2 has been such an important part of my life since Achtung Baby was given to my roomate for Christmas and we listened to it two thousand times seemingly in a row!  I owned u2 albums before, but it really made me pay attention when One entered my brain.  Saw them for first time live at Dodger Stadium and since then have been to 30 plus shows including, Mexico city (friggen awesome!), Dublin, Buenos Aires, Vancouver, (where I met Bill Gates) Tons of US cities, and Hawaii.  In Hawaii, we met Edge while in line at the airport and he was gracious ennough to take some time away from his family and meet mine. My son was 2 1/5 at the time and had seen the final Vertigo show in Aloha stadium the week before.  Calvin was excited to have met the man he saw on the big jombotron screens and talked about it all the time.  But that is not the story I want to tell.  When the 360 tour came around, I ended up with two GA seats for the Rose Bowl.  Calvin wanted to go with me and got his wish.  We got a hotel and headed over to the show early.  He was messing around and almost tripped Barbara Streisand (Typical LA), we ended up in the inner circle right next to the stage.  Fergie loved seeing this little boy on my shoulders and he soaked it up.  But Calvin was all about Edge.  When the show started and Edge made his way over to right next to us, Cal started screaming, "EEEEEEEEDDDDDGGGEEE!...EEEEEEEEDDDDDGGGEEE! ....EEEEEEEEDDDDDGGGEEE!"  But Edge did not see him or respond.  I pulled out his earplug to explain that Edge could not hear him.  So Calvin says, "Daddy, tell him to turn the music down!"  The world does seem to revolve around young children.  Now to hear Calvin and his younger Brother singing "The Miracle" or "iris" as they start learing the songs on Guitar makes me proud as a parent that they are starting a love affair with music that for me starts with U2!!!  Thank you guys for making such awesome

music!!

post-293444-0-61435200-1412631339_thumb.jpg