What Andy said.  Plus, for doubters, check further back in this thread for a bunch of other evidence supporting the SAP setup as "the" stage design (for openers, click the link at top of this page to see it yourself).  And Kristaps, I know you're not yet convinced and still think it could be a true center stage thing.  But, then how do you then deal w/the SAP map?  Or (secondarily) the Amsterdam map?  And the ticket pricing data? (i.e., it's not symmetrical--invariably, there are more lower-price tix behind one end than the other, in the arenas that have ends on both sides).

Edited by mike7man

I'm amazed nobody else has spotted that the stage design is clear in the tour poster. The lettering clearly shows the I and the E linked together. The I being the main stage and the e will form the b stage with the red zones enclosed within the e.

Actually, a number of folks have already suggested this--see earlier in this thread.  Also see earlier for reasons why this is unlikely--for example, the very detailed SAP map (see immediately prior post), which almost certainly is from the actual U2 production people.  It's just too darn detailed to not be right.

I'm amazed nobody else has spotted that the stage design is clear in the tour poster. The lettering clearly shows the I and the E linked together. The I being the main stage and the e will form the b stage with the red zones enclosed within the e.

I think you're right for the stadium tour. In arenas it just takes up too much floor space.

I don't see why the linked IE design is too big. It would be not much larger than the heart used indoors for the elevation tour, or the lips used by the stones indoors etc.

But what would be the point of it? Having the catwalk/ b stage arrangement means they have addressed the issue of getting closer to fans at the far end of the arena from the main stage. Throwing in extra unnecessary staging just reduces the number of GA tickets they can sell, eating into revenue, and adds to costs.

Yeah.  And while it would look cool, the other info earlier in this thread (e.g., the SAP map) makes it pretty clear that, for example, the RZs will not be "inside" such a layout.

I'm not saying they will use it or should use it.

I'm just saying they can, and as one explanation to ticket prices...thats probably why lower tier seeing is so damn expensive, to compensate for the lack of GA they can sell.

I can't believe all the educated speculation here.....it is just speculation, ya know?  it is what it is....it would have been nice to know the actual stage design before the tickets went on sale.

How are fans supposed to decide which seats to buy,if dont know which is the front or back of the stage? I dont understand why the stage design isnt more clear.Maybe the band will be on a revolving stage that spins around so everyone gets the same view,that would be cool.

I'm surprised by the layout above. This is different that I would expect based on other seating chart. When I first saw the seating chart, I thought the stage would be very similar to the one used by Metallica (a rectangle in the middle of the floor - see picture).

did you see the one MetallicA used for 'Through The Never'  :blink: oh my gosh it was so compilcated, you have to see the film to appreciate it.

they only did I think 10 concerts with it, 5 in Mexico and then filmed the movie in Canada. I'd loved to of been at that gig! \m/^_^\m/

giant electric chair above the band (a death zone if you stepped too close) 5 Telsa coils going off causing the band to switch to

analog  :blink: cause it stuffed up their gear. MetallicA!!

Edge's side of the stage will feature a kiddie pool for Innocence and Adam's side a hottub for Experience, Ascent only occurs if they play non-acoustically in the pool or tub, or in case of a volcanic eruption.

Check this out for some hints towards what could be a very visually stimulating stage design:

http://esdevlin.com

Amazing portfolio of work, and guess what her current project is?

nice find!

Heh... looks like the very obvious one long catwalk across the floor, one and to another, has been confirmed. U2.com accidenally poster a presentation and then quickly took it down, but not before people at U2start.com managed to get their eyes on it. From their twitter:

1. Screens located above the stage, double sided. Sides of the stage have guitar technicians and mini orchestra to the right of the stage.

0 replies10 retweets4 favorites
     Retweet10
     Favorite4
    More

Stage will be in the middle of the long catwalk, no b-stage. Larry on a rounded platform that turns 360 degrees.

0 replies11 retweets2 favorites
     Retweet11
     Favorite2
    More

http://U2.com  accidentally posted a presentation, which they then removed, with all details about the stage of the #U2ieTour

Wow.  If this is for real (and no real reason to think it isn't, given that it was on u2.com, however briefly), that's a big deal, and I was certainly wrong about there being a main stage, b-stage/RZs, and connecting catwalk.  Kudos to Kristaps and others who have argued throughout for a true center stage.  Although, if the above is true, then there's still odd things that don't make sense--like the ticket pricing clearly favoring one end over the other (in ellipsoid arenas like in the US), and where the RZs are, which now seems pretty random.  Also, one drawback (?) of a true center stage is that no matter where you are, presumably half of the time you're looking at their backs.  Not thrilled w/that.

Some of the elements of this stage remind me of Peter Gabriel's 'Growing UP' tour in 2002-2003. He did a center stage design. It was really cool, very minimal. My memory of seeing Peter Gabriel in person is not really noticing that lot's of the band isn't facing you during the songs. PG even had the keyboards and drums facing in towards to stage rather than the crowd.

Can't wait to see what U2 have in store.

Here's what Peter Gabriel's center stage looked like.

Jason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbuI45I3Q0

i still cant believe all of the tickets sold so far are without any fan knowledge of not only the stage setup and ticket/seat locations, but also the alternating setlist/performance each night. Many fans might be disappointed that their very expensive ticket was for the night they did not wish to see. not to mention looking at thier backs for 50% of the show.

Check this out for some hints towards what could be a very visually stimulating stage design:

Great find, some really amazing sets in there, together with the boys ambition in terms of set design this could be a something quite special

I knew she worked on the Olympics, I didn't realise she worked with Muse! This should be good!

I saw the MUSE arena tour that she was part of, along with The Pet Shop Boys 'Electric' tour, and the Kanye West 'G.L.O.W in the Dark' & 'Yeezus' tours.  All of those were unique designs and fit really well to the songs. Should be very exciting for the U2 tour.

News regarding stage design?

Will it be in the middle? Any picture?

Edited by guklein

Nothing official yet.  Aargh.  I think it's really obnoxious that U2 hasn't clearly specified/released this--especially since knowing the design is critical to buying tickets intelligently.  Along the same lines, I can't imagine what the justification for withholding this could be.  I don't know, maybe some aspects of it aren't yet finalized or something (?)

Sign in to follow this