Sign in to follow this  
U2Community

'Making Waves' - Aoife McArdle’s Short Film 'Every Breaking Wave'

Love this. There was a bit of commotion on social media about U2 needlessly digging up Ireland's troubled past but I don't get that in this - I just see a very good piece of work.. I like the use of The Troubles in their too, especially as I love that track. 

I think it's important to look beyond the politics of Northern Ireland to appreciate what the film maker is trying to achieve. That is basically what I did and it works on that level as an 'across the divide' love story with dramatic effect set in the era it wants to portray.

Love the Stiff Little Fingers soundtrack ('Alternative Ulster') at the start - almost takes me back. :)

Edited by yardie

I agree yardie, I didn't see it as U2 dragging up the past, it's not their film after all, the film maker was just inspired by their music.
So taking it as it was intended I thought it was very powerful, it moved me to tears actually.

Love this. There was a bit of commotion on social media about U2 needlessly digging up Ireland's troubled past but I don't get that in this - I just see a very good piece of work.. I like the use of The Troubles in their too, especially as I love that track. 

I think the criticism was that U2 were "cashing in on the Troubles"...as you said, I just don't see that. This is a wonderful little piece.

Powerful stuff! Like the different emotions Every Breaking Wave brings to different parts of the film. Like how Troubles is put into it too.

Very intense and one of the best things U2 have been involved with for a long time. 

I think the criticism was that U2 were "cashing in on the Troubles"...as you said, I just don't see that. This is a wonderful little piece.

People just get confused on social media. If they would chose to read up and understand the work then they would see that it is a piece of work by a film maker, who has chosen to put U2 music in the film as the sound track, because that felt right to them - its not actually a U2 film. All the band have done is allow their music to be used as the musical backdrop.

That said, and to agree - there are many people 'cashing in' on the troubles but usually in the politcal and tourism arenas - rock bands would pretty far down the list, if even on it!

Think the whole video is amazing,,,why hide the past from everyone a gripping movie with great music trying to tell a story..not trying to make money of the so called troubles in Ireland...think there should be more videos regarding the troubles what both sides went through..brill video..