Sign in to follow this  
U2Community

Been up on stage with the band at one of the shows this year?

Glad to see Im not the only one annoyed at this whole thing...

No offense towards the fans pulled up. Though yes many on social media now use this as a status symbol along with meeting the band x amount of times

I made a comment on twitter about this and noticed I was instantly blocked by someone and her friends for daring to suggest being on the stage more than once (in the space of weeks) was a little unfair on others wanting to get on there once. Perhaps I hit a nerve!

Can't be sure but there does seem to be a bit of a clique with the e-stage and if you're not in it then you've very little chance of getting your opportunity. I hate this kind of behaviour, if indeed I am right. Although I can't blame the band for this, I think much is down to the individual concerned. Some have very little concept that others might be wanting a first time opportunity whilst they and their buddies are all pushing ahead!

Oh there's completely a clique on Twitter. Ive been voted off the island & more or less now try & stay out of all that for my own sanity sake. Self preservation...

I unwittingly encountered this same Twitter clique when I dared to say I think this is a weird contest. Fans being asked to vote for their "favorite fan"? Fans campaigning online for votes? The contest seems to be encouraging unnecessary division when we should be celebrating the upcoming HBO broadcast of the band we all love....

I read that someone referred to this contest as the Hunger Games for U2 fans. Hilarious!! ;)

I am just curious how U2.com was already in touch with a bunch of the fans to message them about the Paris thing before they posted it publicly asking for the rest of them to get in touch....

some fans are easily found, they might post a lot, on social media etc, so easy to contact. Others may not be on so much, or names not even known. 

FWIW, I sincerely believe everyone should have a chance at this, and while I understand the addiction of getting on stage multiple times in one tour (I am not one of those), I also am uncomfortable with it to some degree, for that very reason (i.e. everyone having a chance). I think it all comes down to the band's comfort level with certain individuals who are known entities, which isn't always fair, but is the reality.   I am not part of any cliques, and no one helped me to get onstage except Adam Clayton! I do consider my experience a profound honor and of course I post my experiences with great pride. Anyone in my shoes would. But if I have ever come across as showing off, that was never my intention and I would sincerely apologize.

As to how some fans found out before the poll was out, well some of them are very famous and were easy to track down, I guess!

What a sensible post from someone who's been on stage with the band. Please be assured that none of my comments were aimed at you - sadly thinking that once on stage with the band is enough of a privilege is a minority opinion in certain quarters.

Again I think the band are blurring the lines themselves to a degree; if they want to be seen as 'punk rock' and invite the audience on stage then they must also have to accept that it will not always go right for them - to start picking and choosing those who you believe you will be comfortable with isn't as edgy as they like to claim they are.

Sadly I believe your experience will be the minority with some fans seemingly greasing their way on to the stage before the show has even started. I've seen images on twitter of some taking pics of themselves with venue and band security as though they're best buddies as they flirt their way into their good books. I find it all a little distasteful myself but then I'm a miserable old sod tbh! 

I am just curious how U2.com was already in touch with a bunch of the fans to message them about the Paris thing before they posted it publicly asking for the rest of them to get in touch....

some fans are easily found, they might post a lot, on social media etc, so easy to contact. Others may not be on so much, or names not even known. 

It appears the poll was up and running - meaning votes could be cast - before the list of name was even completed. Surely this will only give some an unfair advantage over others. Seems a little shabbily put together at short notice. I'm reading tweets from some who have not even been added to the poll yet!!! 

Perhaps the winner(s) has already been selected, who knows! 

It appears the poll was up and running - meaning votes could be cast - before the list of name was even completed. Surely this will only give some an unfair advantage over others. Seems a little shabbily put together at short notice. I'm reading tweets from some who have not even been added to the poll yet!!! 

Perhaps the winner(s) has already been selected, who knows! 

Possible scenario :

Option 1. Start poll with everyone who had been contacted / contact details known / permission etc. (with a clear message in the article to anyone who was not in the Poll to email in and get on it asap).

Option 2. Wait until every person who might have been on stage was contacted (almost impossible if they are not known).

Option 3. Abandon ship.

Honestly, do you really think fans want to see other fans up on stage for a 2nd (or 3rd) time? I think not. They either want the opportunity to get on stage themselves or they enjoy the spontaneity of the moment. As Bono says, "Be in the Moment". 

I am uncomfortable and disappointed in this contest. Why not give another huge fan a chance. There are many of us who have seen them in multiple times, in multiple cities in multiple countries. And not just on the U2ieTour.

@U2comZooMods you can't please all of the people all of the time. #leaveitbehind pic.twitter.com/KTYyFgLpnD

— Alan Ivory (@alsy01) November 11, 2015
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BW it's easy and slightly disappointing to see you post only the tweets that you 'like' and 'retweet' - i.e. the ones that agree with this ridiculous poll idea. 

Another possible scenario:

Option 1: Start the whole thing earlier so everyone has a cut off date before the poll opens. Or don't do it at all. 

Option 2: If you can't give everyone who was on the e-stage a chance to enter then don't do it. 

Option 3: Just make sure you've voted before you abandon that ship! 

As has been said on here and social media, this is a popularity contest for the few - including some who have been up on the e-stage on multiple occasions already! Is that really fair? The musicians I've less of a problem with but the pretty faces who seem to hold sway over the e-stage clique is distasteful and contrived. People are using this as some kind of status symbol over other U2 fans - and the official message board is organising / condoning it. 

BW it's easy and slightly disappointing to see you post only the tweets that you 'like' and 'retweet' - i.e. the ones that agree with this ridiculous poll idea. 

I have an opinion and like you can post things I agree with / disagree with, no?

You have a different opinion, & you have a platform here to share them. Please respect other people's to do the same.

Honestly, do you really think fans want to see other fans up on stage for a 2nd (or 3rd) time? I think not. They either want the opportunity to get on stage themselves or they enjoy the spontaneity of the moment. As Bono says, "Be in the Moment". 

I am uncomfortable and disappointed in this contest. Why not give another huge fan a chance. There are many of us who have seen them in multiple times, in multiple cities in multiple countries. And not just on the U2ieTour.

who's to say that Bono might bring a new person up on the night also / instead of? We don't know as yet what the format will be.

I agree with you 100%. The last thing i want to see is the same people on stage over and over and over again. cool, they had their moment but how about someone who hasnt had that moment they've dreamed of. 

I have an opinion and like you can post things I agree with / disagree with, no?

You have a different opinion, & you have a platform here to share them. Please respect other people's to do the same.

I'm not going to fall out with you BW because I happen to think you're a good an helpful guy: however I also think that as a Mod you'd be better served remaining impartial, so retweeting / posting only those you agree with is not particularly impartial and only stifles the argument of the dissenters. Although it could be said U2.com would rather spin the positive - self preservation and all that. 

Really disappointed that the singer with the broken finger didn't put his name in the hat. I guess some people had other things to do.

med_gallery_286116_407_1835527.jpg

I agree with you 100%. The last thing i want to see is the same people on stage over and over and over again. cool, they had their moment but how about someone who hasnt had that moment they've dreamed of. 

And there is no surprise in the winners so far. U2 should have just handpicked them, invited them and let it be a surprise when they showed up on stage Saturday night. Instead there many disappointed life long fans. It is like a clique in High School.

I seriously doubt any votes mattered.....it was mean to give some folks hope that they might go then their hopes are crushed.....it is quite mean, like high school yes.

And there is no surprise in the winners so far. U2 should have just handpicked them, invited them and let it be a surprise when they showed up on stage Saturday night. Instead there many disappointed life long fans. It is like a clique in High School.

You're absolutely right. Its like everyone who hangs out in the "popular hallway" in high school. Seeing who some of the winners are, they will be on stage for a 3rd or 4th time. What a joke this whole contest was. I hope they enjoy taking this to a higher level of status symbol on social media. These fans who were chosen are no bigger fans then the rest of us they are just the popular ones who self promoted themselves. UGH!!!

"You're absolutely right. Its like everyone who hangs out in the "popular hallway" in high school. Seeing who some of the winners are, they will be on stage for a 3rd or 4th time. What a joke this whole contest was. I hope they enjoy taking this to a higher level of status symbol on social media. These fans who were chosen are no bigger fans then the rest of us they are just the popular ones who self promoted themselves. UGH!!!"

Be careful about lumping everyone into same category...not always true

The whole contest was a joke. But who cares about all those e-stage wannabees in the end? Let's just get over that part and enjoy the rest of the show :)

Edited by jenny1980

I can't believe the news today,

The poll has opened,

And it won't go away,

How long,

How long must this poll go on,

How long, how long,

Cos Sat night, only one will get on stage,

Sat night.

A chance for those to get another treat,

Bodies strewn around the E stage meet,

Most of us won't get the call,

It put's my back up,

Put's my back up against the wall.

Paris on Saturday,

On stage there is no way,

Paris on Saturday,

And though the voting's just begun,

Most of us lost, I wonder who has won,

We had no chance right from the start,

We had hope but now its seems that's

Torn apart.

Paris on Saturday,

How long,

How long will this poll go on,

How long, how long,

On Sat night, there will only be the one,

Sat night, Sat night, Sat night, Sat night.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

The poll has opened,

And it won't go away,

How long,

How long, how long,

Sat night.

It put's my back up,

Paris on Saturday,

Paris on Saturday,

Torn apart.

Paris on Saturday,

How long,

How long, how long,

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

That's 1 minute of my life Im never getting back. Terrible post

The poll has opened,

And it won't go away,

How long,

How long, how long,

Sat night.

It put's my back up,

Paris on Saturday,

Paris on Saturday,

Torn apart.

Paris on Saturday,

How long,

How long, how long,

That's 1 minute of my life Im never getting back. Terrible post

Thanks.

Sign in to follow this