Sign in to follow this  
Mark Taylor

Going to Amsterdam?

Hello, someone has received the ticket collector?

No, I change my E ticket to collector ticket yesterday

Let me hear when you got yours!  ;)

you too !! ... let's see who will get them before ...

Any advice on travelling back to central Amsterdam from the ArenA after the show? I'm looking at staying at a hostel (prices have gone up hugely!)

You can take the metro (subway/underground) or train back into Amsterdam. The easiest way is metro, as you can leave it before Central Station. 

All you got to do is buy a Day-ticket for public transport and you can travel around. If you stay longer, you can buy a card for two, or more days. Check out this site for more info:

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/plan-your-trip/getting-around/public-transport

I will post some tourist info in the coming weeks.

I have a season ticket for Ajax Amsterdam (the sportsteam which plays at the stadium). So I can also give you some info of the surroundings of the stadium. I will take the trainstation Amsterdam Arena-Bijlmer as a starting point.

First of all, when you are at the groundfloor of the trainstation you have a starbucks, and a Albert Heijn to go (dutch supermarket). In the Albert Heijn you can buy refrigerated cans of drinks (including beer). This is the cheapest spot, by the way, to buy beer.

You can go to the stadium. It is only a 5 minute walk. There are several restaurants there, where you can also buy drinks. But these are the normal prices (about €3 to €5). You also have several places where you can sit which aren't part of a restaurant. There is also a Kebap shop here, and a place to get french fries (patat in Dutch, the place is the Febo). 

You can also go the other way, go past the Hilton Hotel. There you also have a restaurant. And a underpass. Under the underpass are also a few places where you can have a quick bite to eat. Also, the last place on the left hand under the underpass is a cornershop. It is also at the corner. There you can also buy refrigerated cans of beer (which you can't drink in the shop). And there you can get a few exotic sandwiches. Which are very good I can say.

And when you walk a bit furter you are at a shopping mall. There you have a subway, a Kentucky fried chicken. A Mac Donalds. So enough places in walking distance to buy a drink or get something to eat.

What is the best way to get to Westeinde from Amsterdam ArenA after the show? I was thinking of taking a cab as the trains might be super busy? And it's only a 15minute drive?

Westeinde is in walking distance from Metro station Weesperplein, which takes you to Amsterdam ArenA in about 15 minutes. It's a nice walk, as you cross the Amstel river you'll see the Amstel hotel. Some famous people will stay there... 

What is the best way to get to Westeinde from Amsterdam ArenA after the show? I was thinking of taking a cab as the trains might be super busy? And it's only a 15minute drive?

Westeinde is in walking distance from Metro station Weesperplein, which takes you to Amsterdam ArenA in about 15 minutes. It's a nice walk, as you cross the Amstel river you'll see the Amstel hotel. Some famous people will stay there... 

Thanks, so after the gig I should take the Metro back to Weesperplein?

You're staying at Westeinde. That is deadsmack in the middle of the centre. Accross the national bank and in walking distance of the two squares with the most bars, the Leidseplein and the Rembrandtplein. A tip, walk around the Albert Cuypmarkt (in the Albert Cuypstraat). That is around the corner there. This is a street market full of stands. And try the stroopwafel, which will be sold over there. That is a biscuit which is very famous in the Netherlands.

But OK, that is the touristy stuff. For the public transport you can check http://9292.nl/en. And yes, as you can see, this website is also in Englisch. The month of June is not yet available, for that you have to wait a few months.

Thanks, I've been to Amsterdam before and done all the touristy stuff! Haha

It's a lovely city, and was my 2nd option as I was unlucky trying to get a Dublin ticket.

I'm staying at the same hostel as my previous visit, but I've not been to the ArenA before. Public transport after gigs is manic.

Anyone having a meet up? (Amsterdam 2 on Sunday)

Public transport can be manic, but if you take the metro from Strandvliet (which is located 50 meters North of Amsterdam Arena) you'll discover that it's not that busy. Most Dutch people will go by car or train, only Amsterdammers and smart tourist take the metro. :-)

Thanks, so after the gig I should take the Metro back to Weesperplein?

Yes, no problems. What kind of tickets do you have (entrance)?

GA's for Dublin, Paris, and then Amsterdam!  This is going to be an EPIC trip for me !!!!    I"m looking for one more GA for Amsterdam for my son for July 29th if anyone has a spare.

Hi everyone! I am coming to Amsterdam after the Paris show and going to be alone at the concert (1st one) :) Would love to have a company there! Anyone going alone as well or open to more people in their company?

I guess something terrible happened to all Amsterdam hotels - they are all booked! I only got one in the suburbs for €150 per night...

Are you going to the 29th or 30th ?

I'm going alone also.

I'm going the 29th and i have GA - Entrance G

I see that you posted a month ago, already found an hotel? 

Hi everyone! I am coming to Amsterdam after the Paris show and going to be alone at the concert (1st one) :) Would love to have a company there! Anyone going alone as well or open to more people in their company?

I guess something terrible happened to all Amsterdam hotels - they are all booked! I only got one in the suburbs for €150 per night...

Hi Rogue_Kane, have you tried Motel One in Amsterdam?   I booked a room there a few days ago, 87 per night ..located between city centre and the venue!

You are welcome to join us at the gig if you'd like!  PM me if you'd like!

The Arena will change name even if it's likely to happen after U2 shows

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/ajax-to-name-stadium-after-dutch-great-johan-cruyff-787126.html

It will take at least half a year to come to a final decision, after which they'll have to announce when they're going to change the name. So hopefully it's changed just before the next U2 tour in 2018 :-)