tan_lejos_tan_cerca

The Action Thread Part Two

📢 Meet The GC Africa Fellows 📢

Powered by BeyGOOD, the Global Citizen Fellowship Program aims to unearth African youth with remarkable potential. Through the program, the Fellows are each engaging in a paid, year-long Fellowship aligned to one of Global Citizen’s four pillars of activity: creative, campaigns, rewards and marketing.

Say "hi" in the comment section, and make them feel welcome 👋

Meet the best female cacao farmer in Côte d’Ivoire
GIRLS AND WOMEN

Meet the best female cacao farmer in Côte d’Ivoire

July 12 2019 | By: SADOF ALEXANDER

JOIN

Join the fight against extreme poverty

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook
 Share on Twitter Share by Email

As a young girl, Christine Amea Manzan would follow her father into his cacao field. After losing her mother, it was up to her father to raise her. She grew up in a rural area of Abengourou, Côte d’Ivoire, always wanting to stay alongside her father and his crops.

When she turned six, her father sent her away to school. Years later, as a teenager, she was again sent away – this time to learn sewing, a “proper skill” for a woman to have. The whole time, the memory of her father and the cacao plants never left her mind.

“I stayed there for two years,” she says, “then I came back to my father.”

She marched into her village, found her father in the fields, and insisted that she become a farmer alongside him.

“I told him I was suffering. My mother was not there, and the day that he was no longer alive, no one else would take care of me.”

Small-JPEG-Christine-Amea-Manzan-Cocoa-F

Award-winning cacao farmer Christine Amea Manzan displays photos of her with the president, who honored her for her production.

Land rights help equality flourish

For Christine, like many women, access to land isn’t just about having a job. It’s about having a secure future.

In sub-Saharan Africa, women make up almost half of all agricultural labor, but they only make up 15% of landowners. Secured land rights can boost a woman’s economic security and give her more control at home. On top of that, women with secure land rights earn more in their lifetimes.

Women aren’t the only ones to benefit from earning more. Investing in gender equality, including equal access to land rights, improves everyone’s lives. When women are economically empowered, their entire communities are better able to combat poverty. This means that gender equality can increase economic growth, which helps break the cycle of poverty for future generations.

It all boils down to this: when women have secure land rights, it helps everyone escape poverty.

Small-JPEG-Christine-Amea-Manzan-Cocoa-F

Christine Amea Manzan says it’s important to share with other women how she became successful and to encourage them that they can also earn a living from cacao farming.

Growing her community

Christine’s story shows the immense power of land rights. It’s been over three decades since she told her father that she wanted to be a farmer. On that day, he gave her a plot of land, and said she could become a farmer if she could successfully tend the small plot. Growing crops in that plot was the first of many successes. Now, at 64 years old, she’s recognized as the highest-producing female cacao farmer in the country. She’s currently working to increase cacao production for a local cooperative, which Cargill supports.

She’s also on a mission to help women in her community follow the same path she did. The education she received from her father helped her carve her own path, and now she’s sharing those lessons with her community.

“My first objective today is to tell other women that they can live off cacao, to tell other women that they can benefit, and encourage women to produce cacao.”

Read more about ONE’s partnership with Cargill and the global fight for gender equality here.

Here’s what you need to know about the latest Ebola outbreak
HEALTH

Here’s what you need to know about the latest Ebola outbreak

14 June 2019 8:15PM UTC | By: KATIE RYAN

JOIN

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook

NOTE: This blog was last updated on 18 July 2019.

Most people remember the devastating Ebola epidemic that swept through West Africa between 2014 and 2016, resulting in over 11,000 deaths. What you may not know is that another Ebola epidemic has been growing in Africa since mid-2018. Its full impact is not yet known.

The latest epidemic’s first case was reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) last August. Since then, 1,700 people have died. The World Health Organization (WHO) reported that the outbreak crossed national borders in late June, where 3 deaths due to Ebola were confirmed.

A number of heroic groups — nurses, doctors, governments, and international organisations — are on the front lines working together to fight the epidemic. But their efforts in DRC to date have been hindered by violence, political instability, and local suspicion of medical assistance.

The WHO declared the outbreak a “Public Health Emergency of International Concern” on 17 July, 2019, after a case was confirmed in Goma, a Congolese city on the border with Rwanda that is home to over 1 million. Essentially by declaring an emergency, WHO is signaling that Ebola in the DRC is a serious threat to public health globally. It’s time for the world to step up and help prevent further spread of the disease.

At ONE we are tracking this Ebola outbreak closely. Here is what you should know:

Q: What is Ebola?

A: It is a severe, often fatal, illness caused by infection of the Ebola virus. The first reported outbreaks occurred in 1976 in the DRC and in an area of the Sudan situated on the Ebola River. The disease has a death rate of up to 90%.

Q: How is Ebola spread?

A: The virus can be spread to a healthy person in three ways:

1. Contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person. This can occur through blood or other bodily fluids or secretions.
  2. Contact with infected animals, usually through preparing, cooking, or eating.
  3. Contact with items or environments contaminated with bodily fluids from an infected person. These may include soiled clothing, bed linens, gloves, protective equipment, and medical waste.

Q: Who is most at risk of contracting Ebola and why?

A: Since it’s transmitted through contact with infected bodily fluids, the people facing the greatest risk are health workers, family members or others in close contact with infected people, and mourners who have direct contact with bodies during burial rituals.

Q: What happened during the last major outbreak?

A: The last major outbreak occurred from March 2014 to June 2016, starting in Guinea and ultimately spreading to Liberia and Sierra Leone, infecting more than 28,600 individuals and killing more than 11,000 others in total.

Q: How have Ebola outbreaks been controlled in the past?

A: There have been over 20 Ebola outbreaks since it was first identified in 1976. Community action, support from the local government, and timely safety messaging kept many of these outbreaks from becoming epidemics. Effective control measures include using protective equipment, practicing safe burials, tracking down possible new cases, and providing education to the public to reduce stigma.

Q: Why has there been another outbreak of the disease?

A: In August 2018, the DRC notified the WHO of a cluster of 26 cases of Ebola, including 20 deaths, in North Kivu Province. The location of this outbreak poses a particularly high public health threat at the national and regional levels because the province has a big population, shares several national and international borders, and has been experiencing intense conflict and a worsening humanitarian crisis.

On June 11, the WHO confirmed a case of Ebola in Uganda after a five-year-old boy traveled with his family from the DRC to Uganda. The young boy, his brother and his grandmother have since died from Ebola. Health officials are working to track other people who may be at risk to try and limit the spread of the disease.

Q: What are the major challenges preventing health workers from containing this outbreak?

A: Response efforts have been complicated by armed conflict in the area and a local suspicion of both the government and of medical assistance. The very epicentre of the outbreak is in a conflict zone: dozens of armed groups are fighting over land, natural resources, ethnicity, and religion. Nearly 200 health facilities have been attacked in the DRC this year, forcing health workers to suspend or delay vaccinations and treatments. Without adequate guarantees of security, health workers have not been able to efficiently reach all those affected or those at high risk of exposure, which gives the virus time and space to spread.

Q: What about the Ebola vaccine?

A: An experimental Ebola vaccine — not yet authorised for widespread use — has shown to protect people from the virus. It is being distributed on a “compassionate basis” to protect the people that are at highest risk of the Ebola outbreak. So right now the vaccine is only available to health workers and others that are in contact with those infected with Ebola.

Q: Who is working to contain the outbreak?

A: Health workers are at the frontlines of this outbreak, working day in and day out to contain the outbreak. Funding to contain the outbreak comes from the countries impacted as well as other donor countries, the World Bank, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and other non-governmental organisations.

Q: What are these organisations and governments doing to prevent it from spreading further?

A: To improve understanding around the virus and fight misinformation, governments and local community members are stepping up. For example, in the DRC, a radio program that reaches people even in the most remote areas of the country has been reassuring and educating listeners on Ebola. In another part of the country, community members go door-to-door in every neighbourhood to explain Ebola vaccines, contact tracing, the treatment of Ebola, and the vulnerability of women and children to the disease. In just two weeks, the campaign reached over 600,000 people.

In Uganda, the government and the WHO have dispatched a rapid response team to identify others at risk of infection and to follow up on possible cases. The country has already vaccinated about 4,700 health workers against the disease, according to a joint statement by WHO and Ugandan health officials.

Other countries, like Tanzania and Kenya, regularly conduct cross border disease outbreak simulations to prepare for the possibility of the spread of Ebola.

Q: What does foreign aid do in the face of a contagious disease outbreak?

A: Both development assistance from donors for health programs and dedicated resources within affected countries are critical to strengthening health systems and improving health infrastructure: these efforts help prevent, detect, and mitigate disease outbreaks. When there is a disease outbreak, additional funding is needed to rapidly scale up prevention and treatment measures, and support the healthcare workforce.

Q: How does Ebola affect a country in the long run?

A: The 2014 Ebola epidemic is a staggering illustration of the economic consequences of just one outbreak of the disease: in 2015, Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone lost US $2.2 billion in gross domestic product, threatening economic stability and private sector growth in the region.

Ensuring our global community is healthy, educated and empowered leads to major benefits, like economic growth. Failing to protect health could quickly thwart this potential. If individuals are infected with Ebola, they cannot invest in bettering their community, kids cannot attend school and adults cannot pursue careers. Yet quality of life skyrockets when prevention and treatment are affordable and accessible.

Q: How can I stay informed and what can I do to help?

A: Watch this space. We are tracking the Ebola Outbreak in DRC and Uganda and will provide updates on the response as it evolves.

Follow the World Health Organization on Twitter for the latest updates.

All images via DFID.

YOUTH AMBASSADORS

Meet our volunteers: Chidinma and Rita

27 June 2019 11:54AM UTC | By: JANE EAGLES

JOIN

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook

Welcome to the second Meet Our Volunteers blog! In this series we’re introducing you to our ONE Volunteers around the world to shed light on the incredible work that our Youth Ambassadors, Champions and Campus members do.

This month, we were thrilled to sit down with Chidinma — a ONE Champion in Nigeria, and Rita — a ONE Youth Ambassador in the Netherlands.

Read on to learn more about these inspiring individuals and find out how you can get involved too.

Untitled-design.jpg

Rita, ONE Youth Ambassador in the Netherlands (left) and Chidinma, ONE Champion in Nigeria (centre).

How did you get involved with ONE?

Chidinma: The first time I heard about ONE was during the partnership with Big Brother Naija in 2017 to promote the #GirlsCount campaign. The winning contestant was promised the opportunity to speak at the United Nations General Assembly that year and it was fulfilled. At that point, I believed ONE was an organisation to be trusted. I am grateful to have had the opportunity of being a ONE Champion since 2018 and be a part of the global community of accountable members who are dedicated to fighting against extreme poverty. This has always been my passion.

Rita: The reason I decided to become a part of the ONE community is because of the injustice I see on a daily basis across the world. I think it’s very unfair that some people experience injustices. The opportunity to raise my voice against these injustices is a great way to help.

What’s been your proudest moment as a volunteer with ONE so far?

Chidinma: I would sincerely love to put on the record that ONE has given me so many life-changing, significant memories during my journey as a Champion. So far, my proudest moment as a volunteer would be when I was selected to represent ONE at the second Pan African Youth Forum at the African Union Commission HQ, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia this April. This opportunity is dear to my heart because I had the honour of meeting dynamic youths from different regions who are solely interested in making the world a better place for all.

Rita: By far my proudest moment as a Youth Ambassador for ONE is when I went to European Parliament in Brussels for meetings last year. I saw volunteers gather from all over the world. Being part of one group together, discussing the key issues around fighting for equal rights. Being surrounded by amazing and inspiring people gave me the best feeling in the world. I am profoundly grateful for that experience.

What’s the one thing you would advise other youth campaigners to do?

Chidinma: Youths are the future of any society but the future we desire may not be achieved if we do not chart the right course today. It is essential for youths to get involved in activism because if we accept the wrong things at present, the wrong seeds sown may be ours to reap when the older population gives way. Together with our vigour and numbers, we can use our voices to advocate for a world where justice and equality are the priority. If we are resilient, the world has no choice but to hear us. We are not just the future, we are the present!

Rita: I would advise other youth campaigners to dare to not be shy — think outside the box. If you think you have an amazing idea discuss it with people, with other volunteers, with friends and so on. Nothing is too crazy!

Want to get involved too? Sign up to become a ONE Member now!

ONE welcomes the contributions of guest bloggers but does not necessarily endorse the views, programs, or organisations highlighted.

MEMBERS IN ACTION

“The only way to fight injustice is to act.”

21 June 2019 9:46AM UTC | By: AYA CHEBBI

ADD YOUR NAME

Take action for women everywhere

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook

Aya is a pan-African feminist, world-renowned blogger, and one of our Open Letter spokeswomen who’s fighting for gender equality. She is passionate about empowering young people to be agents of positive change and is the founder of the Youth Programme of Holistic Empowerment Mentoring (Y-PHEM), Afrika Youth Movement (AYM), one of Africa’s largest Pan-African youth-led movements, and Afresist, a youth leadership program.

Recently, Aya traveled to Berlin and Paris to advocate for women and girls at the Women7 Summit. Here’s what she did, and why she continues to fight for gender equality.

I believe the only way to fight injustice is to act.

That’s why I joined ONE and contributed to an open letter with 44 other activists. We are calling on world leaders who will be participating at the G7 Summit in August to:

• agree to a gender equality financial commitments package, with a focus on women and girls in Africa, that will help fill the gender gap
  • create mechanisms that facilitate concrete progressive laws and policies to achieve gender equality and adopt gender-responsive budgeting practices
  • create a framework in addressing global inequalities and facilitating global changes towards gender equality in the world.

As one of the spokeswomen for the campaign, I express my solidarity towards all women on the frontlines in the fight for gender equality. As a co-signatory, and together with 44 other co-signatories from 15 countries around the African continent, we demand tremendous and real progress through this open letter.

The G7 represents 58% of the global net wealth and includes 7 countries: Canada, France, Germany, United Kingdom, United States, Italy, and Japan. These countries gather in an annual summit to discuss economic issues, giving them incredible power to create change and fight for gender equality.

During the latest Gender Ministerial Meeting, the Women7 Summit was parallelly organized by civil society feminist movements. The W7 Summit, which gathered more than 400 feminists and 100 organizations, launched in autumn 2018 after a call for mobilization from civil society in the G7 countries and the Global South under the Women7 Movement. I had the honor to attend this event and made some important stops on the way.

Talking Equality in Berlin

I started my journey in Berlin. During a breakfast with journalists engaging German media, we discussed the solid decisions that the G7 can—and must—take to ensure that women and girls in African countries have equal rights. They must also ensure that extreme poverty can be overcome by involving young people, especially young women in Africa, in decision-making processes.

Aya1.png

Later on that day, I met with German influentials including actresses Katja Riemann, Jeannine Michaelsen, feminist campaigner Kristina Lunz and Diana Kinnert. We debated about women priorities in Africa by sharing stories, perspectives, and experiences on major issues. We also discussed the importance of increasing and directing Official Development Aid (ODA) for grassroots, youth-led feminist initiatives.

Aya2.png

Aya Chebbi, AU Youth Envoy, with German Influentials. Berlin, May 2019

I also had the pleasure of sharing a conversation with ONE Youth Ambassadors, discussing the European Parliament elections and the role of politicians to commit to on-ground actions. I had the chance to learn from the Youth Ambassadors about their work on lobbying and campaigning to achieve women’s empowerment and inclusion.

Aya3.png

Aya Chebbi, AU Youth Envoy, engages with ONE Team. Berlin, May 2019

Aya4.png

Aya Chebbi, AU Youth Envoy, engages with ONE Ambassadors. Berlin, May 2019.

The Women7 Summit

The day after, on May 9th, the Women7 Summit officially started in Paris. I spoke at the EQUIPOP panel, “Women speaking out! Women’s participation in policy-making and decision-making processes.” I had the chance to share my personal experiences and challenges as a young woman, an activist, and the Youth Envoy of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission.

I shared reflections from a pan-African feminist perspective, particularly the role that women play on frontlines of the fight for equality, though they are excluded from decision making and leadership positions. For instance, young women in Sudan are leading a peaceful revolution and calling for democracy in their country, but remain excluded from negotiations. The question remains: how do we ensure that women who fight alongside men during the struggle also get to the political leadership landscape?

Here at #W7 a metaphoric photo of the reality between decision makers (sitting on the right)& civil society(sitting on the left)We cannot advance the gender agenda if CS is not an equal partner sitting side by side at the table! This is inacceptable #G7France #feministcount @G7

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

I gave my recommendations on forced child marriage, female genital mutilation, (especially among out-of-school girls), women victims of HIV, and women unable to have a bank account or own their lands. These, among other issues, are major concerns around social justice.

I also explained women’s economic empowerment through the analysis of the feminist Thomas Sankara: “We are fighting for the equality of men and women – not a mechanical, mathematical equality, but making women the equal of men before the law and especially in relation to wage labor. The emancipation of women requires their education and their gaining economic power.”

Lastly, I called on W7 to join ONE and sign the open letter telling world leaders to act effectively for women and girls living in extreme poverty. It is time that civil society is treated as a partner to achieve gender equality through concrete engagement, full dialogue on real issues, and asking tough questions that should be answered. My generation doesn’t have 108 years to wait for gender equality.

Later that day, I joined ONE Ambassadors and Belgian actress, Déborah François, to meet with gender ministers. We handed the open letter to Marlène Schiappa, the Secretary of Gender Equality for the French government; Maryam Monsef, Minister for Women and Gender Equality for the Canadian government; and their fellow gender ministers.

En marge du #G7Equality les jeunes ambassadeurs de @One_fr m’ont remis ainsi qu’à mes homologues du #G7 leur lettre ouverte. Merci pour leur engagement, ils peuvent compter sur notre détermination à agir concrètement et faire de l’égalité femmes hommes une grande cause mondiale !

View image on Twitter

I want to thank ONE campaign for this collaboration. We’ll continue our advocacy all the way until the G7 Summit in August. I’ve met a lot of incredible people on this journey, each of them fighting for women and girls everywhere. But we’ve still got a long way to go, and we’ll need your help if we’re going to win this fight.

Are you ready to join Aya in the fight for gender equality? Sign the open letter to stand with women and girls everywhere!

Take action for women everywhere

Dear World Leaders,

We are the women at the frontlines of the fight against gender inequality and global poverty.

Every day we see the determination and dignity of girls and women facing down the toughest challenges. We see real advances and the power of people to achieve change. We won’t surrender this fight, but we need you to play your part.

You promised to achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls by 2030, but at the current rate of progress, this will take 108 years. This is unacceptable. We need genuine progress, not grand promises.

We want implementation and accountability at every level - from this year’s G7 Summit to the Global Fund Replenishment; from our African Union leaders to our community leaders. We will be looking for your actions not your words; for funding to follow promises; and policy to turn into practice. It’s both the right and the smart thing to do for everyone.

To accelerate progress men must demand change with us so that we rise united not divided. And women must have a seat at the decision-making table – because you can’t change what you don’t see.

We’re not looking for your sympathy, we’re demanding your action. Because none of us are equal until all of us are equal.

Yours,

Foto de (RED).

Women and girls continue to be disproportionately impacted by HIV/AIDS. When you join (RED), you’re helping empower women and girls in sub-Saharan Africa. Like this post to join our digital protest to#endAIDS.

Today is United Nations International Day of Friendship and we here at CCI want to celebrate the deep bonds and friendships that have been built through our volunteers over the past 33 years.

Our world face many challenges, crises and forces of division — such as poverty, violence, and human rights abuses — among many others — that undermine peace, security, development and social harmony among the world's peoples.

To confront those crises and challenges, their root causes must be addressed by promoting and defending a shared spirit of human solidarity that takes many forms — the simplest of which is friendship.

Through friendship — by accumulating bonds of camaraderie and developing strong ties of trust — we can contribute to the fundamental shifts that are urgently needed to achieve lasting stability, weave a safety net that will protect us all, and generate passion for a better world where all are united for the greater good.

https://www.un.org/en/events/friendshipday/

Le Tour de France may be over but we still have cycling adventures on the brain! 🚴‍♂️

Later this week Gordon Geraghty is, once again, dusting off his trusty bicycle to raise vital funds for CCI's Cardiac Progamme.

Gordo's Cycle for Chernobyl Children International. The Italian Job. will see Gordon cycle over 2,000kms through Italy from Venice to Corleone in Sicily...in the sweltering August Sunshine!

This isn't the first time Gordon has taken to the road to save the lives of children...

In August 2017, Gordo's Cycle for Chernobyl Children. Le Coeur de France- a 3,500km, month-long challenge - brought Dublin's Gordon Geraghty around France, through the Alps and beyond in the shape of a heart all in aid of CCI's Cardiac Programme...and he even got a special shout-out of support from The High Kings!

In 2013, a cycle across Europe, from Dublin to Minsk was Gordon's challenge...there's no stopping him!
To follow Gordon's adventure, follow his dedicated Facebook page. You can support Gordon's Fundraising by donating via the link below.

https://give.everydayhero.com/…/gordo-s-italian-job-in-aid-…

📢AMAZING NEWS! 🇳🇬

World Health Organization (WHO) is set to declare Nigeria a polio free country! For this to happen, no more cases of polio must be reported in the next two months. The country will have then reached three years since the last polio case and then could be certified polio free.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/health/health-news/342526-who-set-to-declare-nigeria-polio-free.html?mc_cid=7954e5813d&mc_eid=63db05a6f7&fbclid=IwAR0AwFcKQ1RiR7fEyeZ5jUeUmX_dkIS0eCUkToInu6ESStHhsRtSe2CHcFM

WATER & SANITATION

These Students Created a Game-Changing Device for Reusable Menstrual Pads

Cleans Right uses solar energy to sterilize cloth pads and make them safer to use.

Why Global Citizens Should Care
Many people who have periods around the world lack adequate access to water and sanitation to dispose of their sanitary products. When people can’t manage their periods safely and with dignity, they miss out on school, work, and opportunities to overcome poverty. Indian students made a device to reduce waste and prevent infections caused by inadequate hygiene. You can join us and take action on this issue here.

Two students from the Indian Institute of Technology (ITT) are making menstrual products safer, more affordable, and more sustainable.

In May, Aishwarya Agarwal, an ITT-Bombay student, and Devyani Maladkar, an ITT-Goa student, created Cleans Right, a device that cleans and sterilizes reusable sanitary pads while reducing biomedical waste. The students have already filed for a patent for the device, which is in the prototype stage. The project is the result of a six-week program held at ITT-Gandhinagar called Invent@ITTGN, through which Agarwal and Maladkar wanted to focus on a socially relevant problem that has mass impact. 

Tuitee Ahora:
#ItsBloodyTime: líderes mundiales le dan prioridad a la higiene menstrual en la educación para niñas
PASA A LA ACCIÓN

Only 12% of people who menstruate have access to sanitary products in India, and that means the rest often resort to using unsafe materials like rags and sawdust as an alternative. 

“It is not just about engineering but about the will to change society,” Agarwal told Better India. “Anyone can do so from their respective fields of knowledge. We are just using ours!” 

Each group in the program had a budget of 50,000 rupees (roughly $726 USD) for their projects. Agarwal and Maladkar figured out a way to make the device operate on foot pedal plungers inside a chamber filled with water. Once the foot pedal is pushed, the device mimics the motion of hand-rubbing the cloth pads to squeeze out menstrual blood while they’re rinsed in water. The device then spin-dries the cloth. Cleans Right can also be used to clean undergarments and baby clothes and will cost around 1,500 rupees ($21.80) once released.

Before the device is available for purchase, the duo is working to improve how it sterilizes the pads with UV lamps that run on solar energy. Reusable pads must be hygienically washed and can be dried with sunlight –– the sun’s heat is a natural sterilizer. Incorporating UV lighting into the device is a great idea because some reusable pads take a long time to dry, Sandy Clark, chief development and communications officer at the menstrual organization Days for Girls told Global Citizen. The team is also looking for better material for the plungers and diaphragms, Agarwal explained.  

Days for Girls prepares and distributes menstrual health solutions to girls around the world who are at risk of missing school because of their periods and the organization is excited that students like Agarwal and Maladkar are innovating to address the obstacles women and girls face. 

“Women should have choices that are appropriate and environmentally wise,” Clark said.

Read More: Indian Schoolgirls Turned These Aquatic Weeds Into Sustainable Period Pads

Menstrual pads tend to be the most accessible and culturally acceptable menstrual management products, particularly in developing countries and in cultures where menstruation is severely stigmatized, Katymay Malone, public health instrcutor at Mississippi University for Women told Global Citizen. Shame stops many girls form using tampons because lack of sex education perpetuates beliefs that using them could cause someone to longer be a virgin.

But unlike cloth pads that can last up to five years, disposable sanitary pads made with plastic take up to about 500 to 800 years to decompose, according to One Future Collective. A single woman can generate up to 300 pounds of non-biodegradable waste through her menstruating years, Agarwal pointed out to Better India.

“With this device, we want to do our part by altering this reality!” she said.

Personal and public reasons inspired the two women to create the device, according to Maladkar. They read about a case in which a few girls died due to toxic shock syndrome after using unclean cloths to manage their periods. Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is an extremely rare and sudden potentially fatal condition caused by the release of toxins from an overgrowth of staph bacteria, that can be caused by leaving a tampon in for too long, or not practicing safe personal hygiene. 

Cloth pads are often reused in rural India after cleaning them by hand but the process doesn’t fully remove germs and can lead to infections like TSS. Even washing reusable pads in a machine isn’t always enough to sterilize and clean them properly, the students learned from several NGOs.  Researchshows that only a fraction of women who use reusable pads clean and dry them sufficiently, sometimes because they don’t have clean water or detergent. In India, 163 million people lack access to safe water and 210 million people lack access to improved sanitation, which leaves many people who menstruate without the resources to manage their periods.  

When water and sanitation facilities are poor, menstrual cups are the best option, but if Cleans Right becomes widely available, it has the potential to improve the health and safety of people who use reusable pads around the world. 

29 DE JULIO DE 2019

MEDIO AMBIENTE

La activista climática Greta Thunberg viajará a Estados Unidos en una travesía de `carbono cero´

Utilizará un barco de carreras equipado con paneles solares y turbinas submarinas.

Por Megan Rowling

Traducción Erica Sánchez

BARCELONA, 29 de julio (Fundación Thomson Reuters) - La activista sueca Greta Thunberg se está tomando un año sabático fuera de la escuela para continuar con su campaña para frenar el calentamiento global. Esta vez busca hacerlo en Estados Unidos, país al que llegará en un viaje en barco, a bordo de un transatlántico.

Thunberg viajará desde Gran Bretaña a los Estados Unidos y partirá a mediados de agosto en el Malizia II, un bote de carreras equipado con paneles solares y turbinas submarinas que producen electricidad a bordo, lo que hace que el viaje sea `carbono cero´, según informó en un comunicado.

Una vez que llegue, la joven de 16 años planea unirse a manifestaciones climáticas a gran escala y hablar en la cumbre de acción climática organizada por el jefe de la ONU en la ciudad de Nueva York el 23 de septiembre.

Luego, Thunberg utilizará también un transporte que emita bajas emisiones de carbono para viajar a la conferencia anual de clima de la ONU en Santiago, Chile, en diciembre, con paradas en otros sitios de América Latina que son clave para enfrentar el cambio climático, además de visitar Canadá y México.

"Durante el año pasado, millones de jóvenes han alzado su voz para hacer que los líderes mundiales se despierten y entiendan la emergencia climática y ecológica. En los próximos meses, los eventos en Nueva York y Santiago de Chile demostrarán si nos han escuchado", dijo en un comunicado.

"Junto con muchos otros jóvenes de América y el mundo, allí allí, incluso si el viaje es largo y desafiante. Haremos oír nuestras voces. Nuestro futuro está en juego, y debemos hacer oír nuestra voz", agregó.

En agosto de 2018, Thunberg comenzó una huelga escolar semanal los días viernes, realizando una vigilia frente al parlamento sueco para pedir una mayor acción contra el cambio climático.

Firma:
El cambio climático amenaza la vida. Ayuda a los países más pobres a adaptarse
PASA A LA ACCIÓN
Más información

Su ejemplo ha inspirado desde entonces un movimiento global de cientos de miles de jóvenes que también se han saltado la escuela en más de 150 países para expresar su frustración por las medidas inadecuadas para limitar el calentamiento global.

Se espera que el viaje transatlántico de Thunberg tome alrededor de dos semanas.

El padre de Greta y un cineasta se unirán a ella en el barco, donde serán capitaneados por Boris Herrmann, capitán de carrera, y el fundador del equipo Malizia, Pierre Casiraghi, que han donado su tiempo.

Casiraghi dijo que el equipo está "orgulloso de llevar a Greta a través del Atlántico en este desafiante modo de transporte".

"Desafortunadamente, hoy es la única manera de evitar las emisiones de combustibles fósiles. Esperamos que esto cambie en un futuro cercano", agregó el príncipe de Mónaco en un comunicado.

El dúo también dirige un proyecto destinado a enseñar a los niños sobre el cambio climático y el océano, y a medir el dióxido de carbono del océano a través de un sensor a bordo en todos sus viajes.

En discursos recientes, Thunberg ha implorado a los impulsores de políticas en todo el mundo que escuchen lo que los científicos han dicho sobre la necesidad de comenzar a reducir las emisiones de gases de efecto invernadero rápidamente para cumplir con los objetivos del Acuerdo de París 2015.

En virtud de ese pacto, los gobiernos se comprometieron a limitar el aumento de las temperaturas globales promedio a "muy por debajo" de 2 grados centígrados (3,6 grados Fahrenheit) por encima de los tiempos preindustriales, e idealmente a 1,5 grados centígrados, pero el mundo ya se ha calentado aproximadamente 1 grado Celsius.

"Debemos comenzar a frenar la curva de emisiones abruptamente a más tardar en 2020, si todavía tenemos la posibilidad de mantenernos por debajo de 1,5 grados celsius de aumento de la temperatura global", dijo Thunberg.

"Todavía tenemos una ventana de tiempo para actuar cuando las cosas están en nuestras propias manos. Pero esa ventana se está cerrando rápidamente. Es por eso que he decidido hacer este viaje ahora".

Más información en http://news.trust.org/climate

"My son and your children, they are so worthy. Worthy of love and affection and of any opportunity that comes along their way. They are world changers, if only given the chance. Are you willing to give them that chance?" - Nichole Moberly 💗 
Read more: https://bit.ly/2K2bDET

EDUCATION

3 harsh realities on the state of education

29 July 2019 1:37PM UTC | By: CARMEN BELAFI

JOIN

Share on Facebook 
Save on Facebook

If everyone completed a full 12 years of education, we could cut the number of people living in poverty in half. Yet, too many kids are still out of school, and those that are often don’t learn basic levels in reading and math. To respond to this, world leaders set a global goal for education: by 2030, get every child into school and learning. In order to know whether we will achieve this goal, it is important to set milestones and measure them.

Earlier this month, UNESCO and the Global Education Monitoring Report released their first projection of the state of education in 2030. They show that we are severely off track to reach the global goal. Here’s what this means:

1. In 2030, over 200 million children may still be out of school

200 million children and youth – or 1 in 6 school-aged children worldwide – may still not be in school in 2030. Out-of-school rates are falling for children enrolled in upper secondary school, but have stagnated for several years for primary and lower secondary levels.

One reason for this is the ‘last mile’ problem: Government reforms get to the ‘easier to reach’ children first, but it takes more effort, time, and resources to reach children in poverty or in rural, remote areas. In order to get all children into school, it’s essential for governments to reach the children most likely to be missing school.

StateOfEd_1.jpg

Image: UNESCO

2. Learning is not improving fast enough

We know it is not enough to get kids in school. We need to get them learning if they are to reap the full benefits of education.

Too many students are in school and not learning, and we are not seeing the progress we need to change this. In sub-Saharan Africa, almost 9 out of 10 children are not achieving minimum levels of reading. In some regions, learning is even deteriorating from already low levels. For example, Francophone Africa is predicted to have worse learning outcomes in 2030 than today.

3. Too many teachers are not qualified

One important reason for why learning is not improving sufficiently is because of a lack of trained teachers. In sub-Saharan Africa, there is a smaller share of qualified teachers today compared to 20 years ago. Over 1 in 3 primary school teachers and 50% of secondary teachers do not receive minimum training for their job – an alarming decrease in quality of instruction. Without properly trained teachers, students will continue to miss out on the quality education and learning they deserve.

StateOfEd_2.jpg

Fig.1: Percentage of trained teachers by region, 2000-2017, Source: UNESCO UIS/GEM Report (2019): Meeting Commitments, p.10.

The choices we make today seal the fate of learning for the future. If we don’t change course and put in more money, more thought, and more effort into fighting the global learning crisis, we will not achieve our global goal. This cannot be our future – and luckily, this does not have to be.

Education has the power to catalyze change and development far beyond its own realm – and it is critical to ending extreme poverty. This is why donors and developing country governments must prioritize investments in education. Because if we put in too little now, it will be too late to end extreme poverty by 2030.