Sign in to follow this  
jvd

What are the accoustics like in BC Place, post renovation?

I've been to Whitecaps games at BC Place, and U2 360, before the renovations.  Not my picture below, as I'm on the left, inside the ellipse I think we called it.

Have any of you been to a concert at BC Place more recently?  How are the acoustics?  I have upper bowl tickets this time around and hope the sound doesn't bounce all over the place up there.  I don't buy expensive headphones so I'm not the type of person to notice minor things.

post-296625-0-05027100-1484264404_thumb.jpg

Photo found http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/34306182.jpg 

I was there for a concert in 2015 and it wss much better sounding than it used to be. I was on the floor. Not sure about the sound from the stands.

Gotta be better than post-renovation.

Pretty sure my brain and ears bled for Popmart at BC Place, then bled some more at the old Kingdome in Seattle right after.

The last concert I saw there was...U2360! I wore earplugs (which I always do nowadays, ya young whippersnappers).

I got some fluorescent earplugs I can share with you. My wife refuses to wear them. Her (hearing) loss...

I saw the 360 show there and was the worst u2 show I have seen, not because of the band but because of the technical problems. It was the show on the tour and I think perhaps the crew didn't care. A number of us felt Bono sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks (ok not that bad but close), I know he switched microphones two or three times, I remember watching crew handling him them, and at one point one of the microphones went out completely during the show (something I also noticed when watching the Rose Bowl show live when it streamed over YouTube). There was also a ton of distortion coming from the speakers for Edge's guitar. A few of complained to any of the crew we could find and they seem to realize there were issues but nothing was ever addressed. Eventually we couldn't take it and left early. This was all pre-renovation to the BC Place so I have to assume the sound is better. I believe it's an open air stadium now so maybe the roof will be open for the show weather permitting.

Bono nearly got clotheslined by the camera boom running around the ellipse at 360 Pasadena.

I was inside the ellipse for 360 Vancouver. Sound was good where we were. Adam's side.

I don't know about the acoustics since the remodel, but here's a pic of the stadium with the roof open.  Note that the white curtains between the upper and lower decks won't be there as they are there to provide a more intimate feel for the Whitecaps (the lower bowl seats 27,000 for football).  The roof is a fabric that rolls into the top of the stadium when the roof is open (note the white "thing" at the very top, suspended by cables).  Sorry I couldn't provide a better picture, but I just thought I'd throw this up here.

I have to say, the remodel is amazing.  I've seen five matches there over the past three years and it looks and feels like a brand new stadium.  I really, really hope the roof is open as that has got to improve the acoustics.

post-335143-0-74450000-1485380774_thumb.jpg

Edited by gopointers2

I don't know what the acoustics were like before the remodel, but my experience on the first night of the tour was impaired by the sound quality. I picked it up first watching Mumford & Sons but there was noticable reverb and echo around the arena. The delay is only fractions of a second and so less obvious in the bigger songs but it does mean they sound a bit muddier. Where it's most prominent is in the quieter songs like MLK and, unfortunately, in the brand new Little Things.