Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kiss_the_sky

No Line

5 posts in this topic

I was listening to the gang revisit the album No Line on the Horizon.

One thing I've learned about music is that even when two people like the same band, often times they don't like the same stuff. The Beatles are one example. My friend is a huge Beatles fan, but tends to only like the "old stuff," defined as the 50s-sounding stuff. I like both halves of their music, where Rubber Soul and Revolver are the dividing line.

U2 fans are no different. I will be going to a few shows this summer with a self-described "big fan." The only problem is he doesn't like Zooropa or Pop, and isn't really on board with Songs of Innocence either. The title cut from No Line on the Horizon "annoys" him. I’m truly scared to ask him what he thinks about Achtung Baby.

Then there's me.

I can't say I dislike any album.

My best description of No Line on the Horizon is actually one Bono used to describe the never-to-be-released "Songs of Ascent:" It has a kind of "kick off your shoes and get comfortable" feel to it. Of course, not all songs on the album fit this description. But enough do for me. Start with the album cover. Fifty shades of grey and white under a hazy sun on an endless sea. Infinity is brought to mind, and, well, if we are going to visit infinity, we might as well get comfortable. No?

From here we move on to the songs. I'm not going to do a song-by-song review. But every one of them is enjoyable in their own right, though I struggle to really appreciate "Go Crazy." I'm sure many of you cringe when thinking about other songs on the album, with "Boots" apparently being a favorite target. The deal with listening to music is much like anything else, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. “Boots” is not one of their best songs, but I'd put it in my imaginary top quartile or so. “Go Crazy” is in the bottom half. Regardless, No Line (the album) remains one of my favorites. I don't listen to it as often as the others.

Like the song One Tree Hill, I only pull it out for special occasions.

I don't think NLOTH has a single bad song on it, there's nothing on it that I skip (I can't even say that about Achtung Baby and that's probably my favourite album), but I don't think it has any great songs either. It's pleasant but just not particularly memorable. Which is a shame because it kind of feels like follow up to Pop (Boots = Discotheque, Stand Up Comedy = Holy Joe, Cedars = Wake Up Dead Man etc)

I don't think NLOTH has a single bad song on it, there's nothing on it that I skip (I can't even say that about Achtung Baby and that's probably my favourite album), but I don't think it has any great songs either. It's pleasant but just not particularly memorable. Which is a shame because it kind of feels like follow up to Pop (Boots = Discotheque, Stand Up Comedy = Holy Joe, Cedars = Wake Up Dead Man etc)

Yeah, I hear some of their earlier stuff in it, too.

Holy Joe is one of my all time faves.

very underrated disc i see it as a modern zooropa,,,starts of with a sonic blast of no line on the horizon 'my 3 yr old loves it and knows the words lol,,,magnificent is a tremendous song and should be included in any tour moving foward.get on your boots likens to elevation/vertigo catchy and melodic.'king of comedy'is good song just weird title to stick ,they ran the publicity of the tour with studio track'don't go crazy tonite'but the live version mixed as a dance /club version was one of the highlights of the 360 show ..