Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yancy

has any band member responded to Paul claiming he had a contract with island records in 1989 and U2

yancy    0

Paul Rose did have a 1989 song for island records that u2s song the fly does sound simular too,has any u2 members responded to Pauls claim.

post-700810-0-91486600-1488429171_thumb.jpg

Grande 3:16    5

When a song gets infringed upon, it's usually not a case of "Hey this song is awesome, let's rip it off!" but a musician getting a song out of his head not realising it's just a song they heard somewhere before.

The only similarity I can spot between The Fly and this demo is the first 4 notes in the demo are similar to the first 4 notes in The Fly's solo. It is possible that Edge may have heard the song and without realising it incorporated it into The Fly. However I reckon 4 notes is a huge stretch.

(Fingers crossed Van Halen never hear Bullet The Blue Sky and The Strokes never hear Vertigo)

pain_18_    207

When a song gets infringed upon, it's usually not a case of "Hey this song is awesome, let's rip it off!" but a musician getting a song out of his head not realising it's just a song they heard somewhere before.

The only similarity I can spot between The Fly and this demo is the first 4 notes in the demo are similar to the first 4 notes in The Fly's solo. It is possible that Edge may have heard the song and without realising it incorporated it into The Fly. However I reckon 4 notes is a huge stretch.

(Fingers crossed Van Halen never hear Bullet The Blue Sky and The Strokes never hear Vertigo)

It's Ted Nudgent for  Bullet the Blue Sky, Grande.

There were also claims that The Fly is a rip-off of Megablast - Bomb the Bass from 1988.

Hadn't heard that Megablast tune but just checked it out. I wanna learn it now. :D

It's funny how some songs get accused of ripping off songs while others get a free pass. It seems Tom Petty will sue anyone who happens to use the same 4 chords he used in a song 30 years ago (you know, because he totally invented and owns chords) while other songs sound so much like another song you can almost interchange the lyrics.

How does

get away with sounding like
? Or
sounding like
?

But four notes and I'm suing!

pain_18_    207

It was said that Staring at the Sun was a rip off of The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon... LOL !

joshthetree    42

Paul Rose did have a 1989 song for island records that u2s song the fly does sound simular too,has any u2 members responded to Pauls claim.

Dont think they will respond other than through their lawyers