My Inevitable *POP* Thread !

264 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have a "Staring at the Sun" CD single with these songs:

"Staring at the Sun - Monster Truck Mix"

"Staring at the Sun - Sad Bastards Mix"

"Staring at the Sun - Lab Rat Mix"

"North and South of the River"

The "Staring at the Sun" mixes all have the same lyrics as the album version though.

I really miss the days when they released singles on physical media with remixes and b-sides.

Yeah.....And all the different versions of the songs.......I really think nothing beats the physical format.......The Sleeve, the fresh printing smell...the texture....the CD-art itself.....The inside-art, the back-cover art......... The sheer quality of the music on the cd, ......

Edited by pain_18_

http://zootopia.u2.com/gallery/album/494-popmart-1997/

I've shared some pictures I have from U2 in Kansas City in May of 1997. They filmed the video for "Last Night on Earth" there and I got to see some of it. There are a lot more pictures - I'll try to add more tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy them.

I've shared some pictures I have from U2 in Kansas City in May of 1997. They filmed the video for "Last Night on Earth" there and I got to see some of it. There are a lot more pictures - I'll try to add more tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy them.

Those are great! Thanks for sharing.

Hope you enjoy them.

Nice! :)

Hey Pain great thread my favorite album in the world ever too. Gonna put something together to add to this thread ....

Hey Pain great thread my favorite album in the world ever too. Gonna put something together to add to this thread ....

YES !!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Hope you enjoy them.

Just in from drawing.....Will check them out in a couple of minutes !

I just saw Allyson's pix !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am not wanting rain on anyone's parade as it were but I have always been disappointed with POP.

After Discotheque was released as a single I was hopeful about the album at very best was (and still is) patchy.

Loved Mofo, Staring at the Sun, If God will send his Angels and Please but the rest of the tracks sounded as if the band were trying too hard or hadn't quite worked out what they wanted to do with certain songs. Gone wants to be a rock and roll track but doesn't seem to get off the ground and LNOE feels like a rehash of Everything but the Real Thing.

Then we got to the songs being played live. With other U2 albums even if the songs on CD feel flat or bland ( e.g. much of SOI) they take are taken to another level played live. The band never seemed to know how to play the songs off POP live. Even Discotheque has lost some of the energy when played live. 

Posted (edited)

Edited by pain_18_

I just yesterday posted about my insane love of this album and the whole experience leading up to it, as well as the aftermath. If you want to check it out it's here: http://www.enderbowen.com/news-updates/listen-up/u2-pop-twenty-years-later/

I'm really disappointed they didn't celebrate it this year in any kind of way. I really thought they would.

LNOE feels like a rehash of Even Better Than The Real Thing.

I was going to say the same thing in my initial thoughts. (Fixed that for you btw ;) )

Elevation is a lightweight EBTTRT rehash in imo.

Posted (edited)

I was going to say the same thing in my initial thoughts. (Fixed that for you btw ;) )

Last Night on Earth.....One of the best tracks ever......I'm not hearing anything remotely close to Even Better than The Real thing (, nor on Elevation .......), not musically, not lyrically, btw, the lyrics on LNOE are brilliant and the heavy music is embracing them perfectly.....And the fact U2 make mistakes on POP is something that brings them closer to us.....Proving they're not just a commercial super-power, meant to just cash out on fans....They're HUMAN....... At least at that moment they were.

*POP* is an album where U2 really pushed themselves to prove they can do something different, something that doesn't necessarily fit into a certain genre or category .....   A piece of work that's truly creative and they pulled it off ...I've started thinking long ago... it's great not everyone can see this..........It will be the secret of just few of us.....And if it's just me,  fine then !

Loved it when Bono said , I'm paraphrasing... " We  were also very annoyed at the title *Rock* " and that " [...] it's hard to conjure happiness, we tried for the first two tracks but then realized life isn't about that......We wanted something heavy and ironic....Hence the title *POP*...... We needed to get the wrapping paper right bc what's underneath isn't all that nice (meaning they're taking on painful life-stuff)  and happiness and joy won't do.....".

Edited by pain_18_

Posted (edited)

I just yesterday posted about my insane love of this album and the whole experience leading up to it, as well as the aftermath. If you want to check it out it's here: http://www.enderbowen.com/news-updates/listen-up/u2-pop-twenty-years-later/

I'm really disappointed they didn't celebrate it this year in any kind of way. I really thought they would.

AMAZING story and very well penned out !!!!! B)^_^:D

Another reason why *POP* speaks to me so much is that the album represents what my life was around that time 1995-1999 ( Was in school , I attended 1st to 4th grade...forgot how that's called in the US.....it was one of the most monstrous periods in my life....I haven't decided if High-School was worse...definitely on par, tho)....Agony and Ecstasy ....Like all of U2's music in the 90's....there's so much sentiment and a lot of great work forged into it....If you can call " doing what you love " - *work*.....

Edited by pain_18_

I'm not hearing anything remotely close to Even Better than The Real thing

I don't feel the same way now, just at the time. It's not so much the sound or the lyrics, but more just kind of trying to recapture the same mood or feel I guess. "Moment Of Surrender" was described by some as the album's "One" even though they're nothing alike.

In 1996 I think I knew exactly three people with internet, and one of them wasn't me. :P

Good read.

Posted (edited)

The only thing I like about the StereoGum review is the criticism to present *U2* in the last paragraph and the fact that he types Pop in italics ...  I'm surprised he didn't take on the most embarrassing fact of all:  re-touring TJT at 30.....

PS :  How can he say " ditching the riffs" when some of U2's biggest riffs in their career are on *POP*.... !!!! I'm taking this opportunity to reiterate that on *POP* the blend between electronica and rock is perfect...It's so good that you can't tell what they did to create those sounds......It's what Edge said : " using rock-tools to make dance music " and they indeed succeeded....They went far enough with it....further in either direction and it wouldn't have turned out this perfect.............I really love the demo-snippets on the Hong-Kong mixes, some people are saying that those versions (of what can be heard) of the songs are " more stripped down " and stuff.....They are indeed a bit rockier but still great  .. ..Experimental......Different.....from the album....That doesn't mean the final album is over-produced.....If U wanna hear over-produced...Listen to ATYCLB and SOI........

Edited by pain_18_

In 1996 I think I knew exactly three people with internet, and one of them wasn't me. :P

Good read.

Hey thanks! Yeah... it's bizarre to think how the internet world was back then and how difficult it was to do anything. I never would have imagined we'd be where we are now with internet connectivity. Anyone remember that atrocious popmart.msn.com website that was really cool IF you could load it?

AMAZING story and very well penned out !!!!! B)^_^:D

Another reason why *POP* speaks to me so much is that the album represents what my life was around that time 1995-1999 ( Was in school , I attended 1st to 4th grade...forgot how that's called in the US.....it was one of the most monstrous periods in my life....I haven't decided if High-School was worse...definitely on par, tho)....Agony and Ecstasy ....Like all of U2's music in the 90's....there's so much sentiment and a lot of great work forged into it....If you can call " doing what you love " - *work*.....

Hey thank you very much! I'm glad you liked it!

An interesting read: http://www.stereogum.com/1927982/pop-turns-20/franchises/the-anniversary/

It gets critical of the band towards the end, but I tend to agree a bit. :(

I actually agree as well, even with the criticism of the band. I, too, in many ways believe that U2 has been reacting to POP in EVERYTHING they've done since. All the way from ATYCLB to how they presented the 90s Best of, the lack of very much 90s (but a lot of 80s and even 2000s) on 18 Singles, and on and on. It's like they're purposely avoiding being adventurous musically.

An interesting read: http://www.stereogum.com/1927982/pop-turns-20/franchises/the-anniversary/

It gets critical of the band towards the end, but I tend to agree a bit. :(

I actually agree as well, even with the criticism of the band. I, too, in many ways believe that U2 has been reacting to POP in EVERYTHING they've done since. All the way from ATYCLB to how they presented the 90s Best of, the lack of very much 90s (but a lot of 80s and even 2000s) on 18 Singles, and on and on. It's like they're purposely avoiding being adventurous musically.

That's exactly what I DON'T want them to do....

Last Night on Earth.....One of the best tracks ever......I'm not hearing anything remotely close to Even Better than The Real thing (, nor on Elevation .......), not musically, not lyrically, btw, the lyrics on LNOE are brilliant and the heavy music is embracing them perfectly.....And the fact U2 make mistakes on POP is something that brings them closer to us.....Proving they're not just a commercial super-power, meant to just cash out on fans....They're HUMAN....... At least at that moment they were.

*POP* is an album where U2 really pushed themselves to prove they can do something different, something that doesn't necessarily fit into a certain genre or category .....   A piece of work that's truly creative and they pulled it off ...I've started thinking long ago... it's great not everyone can see this..........It will be the secret of just few of us.....And if it's just me,  fine then !

Loved it when Bono said , I'm paraphrasing... " We  were also very annoyed at the title *Rock* " and that " [...] it's hard to conjure happiness, we tried for the first two tracks but then realized life isn't about that......We wanted something heavy and ironic....Hence the title *POP*...... We needed to get the wrapping paper right bc what's underneath isn't all that nice (meaning they're taking on painful life-stuff)  and happiness and joy won't do.....".

I love Achtung Baby and Zooropa. This is where for me the band pushed themselves and it worked.

I'd agree that the band pushed themselves on Pop but where we differ is that I remain unconvinced that it actually worked.

There's a sense of awkwardness about Pop in my mind.

As for LNOE I simply can't stand the song but each to their own right!