eveconversa

Advice on best place to stand in the Red Zone

7 hours ago, vertigojds said:

Passing the time wasn't too bad, actually.  I got lucky.  My stepsister happened to be going to Philly, so I caught a ride with her and got to catch up.  When I got to Lincoln Financial Field, I ended up meeting up with my old college roommate who had settled in town.  He was free in the afternoon and just hung out in line with me until they started having people go inside, so other than the heat, it was a fun afternoon.  Maybe ended up waiting in the corridors of the stadium for about an hour, but I could hear U2 soundchecking Mysterious Ways five times (maybe a couple more than I needed, but cool to hear the process) and a couple others.  So it was actually a fun afternoon.  I think the hardest part was the waiting once we were on the field until the band came out.  That was the real hunker down time.  People were pretty cool about letting people get up to grab food and drinks and come back, but I was there on my own so I didn't want to chance not having someone to come back to.  Once The Lumineers came out time started to fly.  Even the hour plus wait for U2 wasn't bad because I always think its cool to see their road crew setting up the gear.  It's one of those things where you tell your friends "I just waited eight hours for a U2 concert" and it sounds insane, but you break the day down and it ends up being more interesting than it sounds.

Which show are you RZ for?  I'm in there for the second New Jersey show, happy to report back on that specific experience.

The RZ line was adjacent to the GA line for most of the afternoon.  At most, there were forty people there by four when they started letting us in, but it could have been closer to two dozen.  I think if you show up sometime between whatever check-in time they email you and the time they say the doors open, you'll end up one or two people at most at the rail most directly adjacent to the b-stage, and probably have your pick of the rail anywhere else.  That's the view I was getting as regular GA #666 walking to my spot by the main stage - once I was there, the ramp blocked my view and I couldn't see how fast or slow it was filling up (which I was kinda hoping to see to get a better idea).  I have GA again for Gillette but going with some friends, so waiting in line isn't a priority.  Based on this, we'll probably walk in closer to the doors opening rather than waiting all day.  For the first New Jersey show, I have seats so I'm gonna try to be getting the birds-eye view of the area.  It's fun to get into tour mode and just start pregaming this stuff.  It's a little bit easy, at least for me, to fall into the pattern of complaining about what songs aren't being played or how annoying the ticketing process can be or what a pain some of the other stuff can feel like in moments of frustration, but it's kinda awesome how all of that starts to melt away when you're there.  Real eye opener for me this time around, to be so close and to get a sense of how much time waiting translates into distance on the floor.  Supposedly the floors at these stadium shows are holding 8000-10000 people a night.  There's enough rail to fit hundreds.  If you get there before the doors open, and there in the first 1000 or even 2000, to be closer than 80 or 90% of the people there, at worst, seems pretty cool to me.  The screen was so amazing large that being a few feet back wouldn't hurt at all.  My gut instinct is always to get there early, but there's the logical little voice in my head saying, you paid for the Red Zone ticket for the privilege of showing up whenever and being closer than 90% of the crowd for no effort put in, don't waste it.  And then the other little voice says, yeah, but for a minimal amount of effort, you could be closer than 96% of the people.  In other words, it's a fun kind of crazy that I don't think I'm alone in.

The stadium is such a different beast than the arena.  At the arena shows, the stage is much lower, and there's less of it (except for I&E) and being closer to it can really pay off.  At the stadium, it's so high off the ground and so segregated by barricades, and the place is so huge, that you're never right on top of them and they're playing as much to the enormity of the place as they are the people in front of them - in no way complaints, just observations.  Close is still good, but every little inch didn't seem to matter as much at the stadium.

Lol if we were anywhere close to the same coast I think we'd be pretty good friends.

Anyway, my RZ is San Diego, good for me as I can soak up everyone else's experience but I won't be able to provide feedback until the end of the US leg, which won't matter much unless you're planning on going to SA.

I'm going to try and get some tickets today/tomorrow for the Phoenix show, but same thing, second to last show of the US leg, so not much help. Still agonizing whether I should pop for RZ tickets again (if I even have the option) or just get some GAs and enjoy a different experience. I already did the seated experience at the RB. The seats were so amazing, I think I'm spoiled now and anything that's not stellar would be a let down. I know that sounds pretentious but I don't mean it that way.

I'm planning on going with my sister-in-law who is my 80s music partner-in-crime but I'm 100% she is way beyond queuing for the GA. I on the other hand would be more than happy to go stand around all day as Phoenix is my local show. Which leads me back to RZ.

This sickness of ours. That should be a song title.

Thanks for all the info. I'm addicted to the pregame! LOL!

2 hours ago, JCF said:

Has anybody here gone into the GA area as soon as you got onto the RZ floor? 

Please don't misread my tone, I mean this as a genuine question and not a snide comment. But why would anyone do that?

I've heard of people talking about going from RZ to GA? What's the point of that?

13 hours ago, vertigojds said:

I just had regular GA and not Red Zone for Philly, but security was telling everyone not to run. If you tried to run, they said, you would be asked to leave the field and made to wait to enter until everyone else had gotten on - an automatic trip to the back of the line if you tried. As a result, everyone I saw entering the field was doing so in an orderly fashion. 

Thanks for the helpful info. So now I know I will definitely not be running!

2 hours ago, Synj said:

Please don't misread my tone, I mean this as a genuine question and not a snide comment. But why would anyone do that?

I've heard of people talking about going from RZ to GA? What's the point of that?

On past tours, they'd let the Red Zone in before regular GA, so in theory you could end up getting that front row dead center spot without waiting all day just for buying the RZ ticket and showing up before the RZ lets in. 

I think this time around they're letting GA in first and then starting RZ entry a few minutes after, so that window isn't there anymore. You can still leave the RZ for GA if you want but you don't get to the floor before GA. Probably for the best. Someone who waits 12 hours for GA should have a shot at the GA floor space before an RZ person just showing up now. 

1 minute ago, vertigojds said:

On past tours, they'd let the Red Zone in before regular GA, so in theory you could end up getting that front row dead center spot without waiting all day just for buying the RZ ticket and showing up before the RZ lets in. 

I think this time around they're letting GA in first and then starting RZ entry a few minutes after, so that window isn't there anymore. You can still leave the RZ for GA if you want but you don't get to the floor before GA. Probably for the best. Someone who waits 12 hours for GA should have a shot at the GA floor space before an RZ person just showing up now. 

Oh...I'd like to think I wouldn't be tempted but I would definitely be tempted to do just that.

Not saying it's right, but well...ya. 

Lol!

For anyone who has attended a show in RZ, if you aim for the top of the tree, is the boom in the way the WHOLE show or does it move around?  Does it obstruct views to the main stage? TIA

13 hours ago, bestia said:

For anyone who has attended a show in RZ, if you aim for the top of the tree, is the boom in the way the WHOLE show or does it move around?  Does it obstruct views to the main stage? TIA

We were in the RZ last night in DC. We were at the top of the tree, and yes, the boom is in the way. I wouldn't say that it was in the way for the whole show, but it was a nuisance at times. Most of the RZ moved when the band was on the main stage, so we were able to position ourselves such that it wasn't really an issue (and then moved back to top of the tree at the end of the JT album). I have to say that it didn't really bother me that much. As an aside, we went into the stadium at about the same time that the Lumineers started playing and only had about 4 people between us and the stage.

On 19/06/2017 at 3:51 PM, Synj said:

Thanks for the reply @ddarroch, really helpful!

I just keep thinking, I want to move wherever the crowd isn't. LOL, I have 3 months to decide and I'm sure my neurosis is only going to get worse.

My wife doesn't understand me, my family doesn't understand me, my friends don't understand me. But you guys...you guys get me! LOL

Synj, you make me laugh.  I've been stressing about this whole thing for months and hubby is like....what's the big deal?!  He gets dragged around all over the place everytime U2 are in Europe and while he enjoys every minute of, it he has no pre ticket sale meltdown, no sleepless nights approaching the big ticket sale day, no intervening months of stress over the whole thing.....sigh, if only I could be so mellow. I'm in a totally different situation this time around....health/mobility at moment mean that I am stressing about even being able to stand up in the redzone, let alone whereabouts....and I only have 13 days left....arghhhh. I may have to sit on the floor at the back of the RZ!!!  So for all those that can stand....be grateful for it.  I'm staying at the hotel next door to the stadium so can at least get there without too much difficulty. After a few drinks I think I will manage and who knows...I may even be able to dance a bit.

5 hours ago, Heather S said:

Synj, you make me laugh.  I've been stressing about this whole thing for months and hubby is like....what's the big deal?!  He gets dragged around all over the place everytime U2 are in Europe and while he enjoys every minute of, it he has no pre ticket sale meltdown, no sleepless nights approaching the big ticket sale day, no intervening months of stress over the whole thing.....sigh, if only I could be so mellow. I'm in a totally different situation this time around....health/mobility at moment mean that I am stressing about even being able to stand up in the redzone, let alone whereabouts....and I only have 13 days left....arghhhh. I may have to sit on the floor at the back of the RZ!!!  So for all those that can stand....be grateful for it.  I'm staying at the hotel next door to the stadium so can at least get there without too much difficulty. After a few drinks I think I will manage and who knows...I may even be able to dance a bit.

LOL, glad I'm not alone. It's amazing all the aggravation I've gone through just to see a few shows...right now I just need that release but it won't be until September o_0

Enjoy your show, hope it goes great for you!

so, i did Redzone last night.  Got there at 2:30 and received numbers 18 and 19. I picked the spot behind Edges piano. I saw a little more of their asses than i really wanted to but I was happy with the spot.  When on the B stage, they play mostly to the front. Edge comes over, Adam came over once or twice. Bono didnt come over once.  When the piano is lowered, there is a hole that he probably doesnt want to fall through. Still, a great night. Next time ill get a seat. didnt sit from 2:30 until i got into the car about midnight. 

19511061_1484069144990918_5360691840538954935_n.jpg

On 20.6.2017 at 3:15 PM, JCF said:

Has anybody here gone into the GA area as soon as you got onto the RZ floor? 

Yes, we did in Seattle ;) Went into RZ briefly before the support act started but the spot we had in normal GA was a lot better, so we went back right away.

Edited by jenny1980

1 hour ago, jenny1980 said:

Yes, we did in Seattle ;) Went into RZ briefly before the support act started but the spot we had in normal GA was a lot better, so we went back right away.

Where did you end up in GA?

FYI, i was going to try moving to GA from Redzone, but it is kind of frowned upon since the GA people have been lining up since the day before.  Not fair if someone who spent more money gets a good spot in their section when they have their own Redzone section. 

39 minutes ago, nyru2 said:

FYI, i was going to try moving to GA from Redzone, but it is kind of frowned upon since the GA people have been lining up since the day before.  Not fair if someone who spent more money gets a good spot in their section when they have their own Redzone section. 

No one's really been lining up from the day before though. They've been putting their name on a list and doing check ins. I'm not even saying I would move from RZ to GA, kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion, but I reject the premise that someone who purchased a RZ is doing anything that should be frowned upon when what they are doing, entering GA, is officially condoned by the venue.

Is the argument that an unofficial GA list trumps official venue rules i.e. RZ access to GA?

Someone who paid more money and is following the rules as outlined by the venue should stand aside for people that are creating an unofficial line outside of the venue rules? Based on what? Principle? Seems to me like the real 1%ers here are the people that get rail every show and have a set of rules separate from everyone else. But RZ ticket holders should be the 'bigger' people because they paid for the privilege and didn't 'work' for it?

Sorry, my frustration isn't directed at you, nor am I saying it's your opinion, it just strikes me as a sentiment that flies in the face of logic.

I was in the RZ last night against the rail along the walkway - it was a great spot and would stand there again if I could!   Yes you see the bands bums when they open but it's only for 3 songs.  Bono stood right in front of us for part of a song;  Adam waved to us as he walked by (me she thinks hopefully...??); and it was a great view of the band & screen.   When I got in, the rail spots by the tree were taken so I moved down always.  Met some great people (?? Josh, Ewan, & Christine) and had a blast!  

3 hours ago, Synj said:

No one's really been lining up from the day before though. They've been putting their name on a list and doing check ins. I'm not even saying I would move from RZ to GA, kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion, but I reject the premise that someone who purchased a RZ is doing anything that should be frowned upon when what they are doing, entering GA, is officially condoned by the venue.

Is the argument that an unofficial GA list trumps official venue rules i.e. RZ access to GA?

Someone who paid more money and is following the rules as outlined by the venue should stand aside for people that are creating an unofficial line outside of the venue rules? Based on what? Principle? Seems to me like the real 1%ers here are the people that get rail every show and have a set of rules separate from everyone else. But RZ ticket holders should be the 'bigger' people because they paid for the privilege and didn't 'work' for it?

Sorry, my frustration isn't directed at you, nor am I saying it's your opinion, it just strikes me as a sentiment that flies in the face of logic.

I dont know. This is what i read here in these forums and someone on line did mention it as well. it does defeat the purpose to move to GA. All in all everything was well done. The Redzone numbering line although unofficial, was honored by the redzone check in people. 

17 minutes ago, nyru2 said:

I dont know. This is what i read here in these forums and someone on line did mention it as well. it does defeat the purpose to move to GA. All in all everything was well done. The Redzone numbering line although unofficial, was honored by the redzone check in people. 

I hope you don't get the wrong impression from me, I'm not trying to say it's you, or your opinion that I disagree with, I think you're just reporting what you've heard and seen, and I've heard and seen the same things.

But what I don't understand is this:

An RZ ticket is a GA ticket but with access to the RZ; ergo the additional cost. It grants additional access, it does not restrict access.

If a person buys an RZ ticket, they are entitled to stand anywhere on the GA floor that they wish as long as they are there first. If they choose to stand in the RZ that is their prerogative, if they choose to stand in GA, that is also there prerogative. Again, the caveat being, first come, first serve.

If people don't like the idea of paying for access, then that's an issue they have with the band/venue. It is not the fault of the ticket holder who is complying with official venue policy and choosing to stand in the place they find most favorable to their experience. It's a ridiculous notion to expect people that have paid more, to stand aside because of 'etiquette'. That would be like saying it's not fair that people that pay more get to sit in the front row.

Nor do I understand why someone who has paid more money, for more access is obligated to confine themselves to only one area when that's not what is required by the venue.

The people that frown on RZ entering GA are imposing their etiquette on someone that is doing exactly what they are entitled to do, when there is literally no offense being committed.

Honoring the unofficial lines is just the path of least resistance for the venue. But it is a small group of people imposing themselves on everyone else and crying fairness, when it's really anything but fair to impose an unofficial set of rules on people that are literally following the policies of the venue.

If I'm being honest, I will comply with the unofficial list and will probably try to get on the list myself because I'm not a jerk and just want to enjoy the show like everyone else. But it doesn't mean I have to agree with it and given the choice, I'd rather a more equitable solution existed.

1 hour ago, beachangel said:

I was in the RZ last night against the rail along the walkway - it was a great spot and would stand there again if I could!   Yes you see the bands bums when they open but it's only for 3 songs.  Bono stood right in front of us for part of a song;  Adam waved to us as he walked by (me she thinks hopefully...??); and it was a great view of the band & screen.   When I got in, the rail spots by the tree were taken so I moved down always.  Met some great people (?? Josh, Ewan, & Christine) and had a blast!  

What time did you get there? Did you get a number and if so, what was it?

15 hours ago, Synj said:

No number at all.   I got there around 4:30, checked in at 5, grabbed a Stella, and walked in and up to the rail.  I didn't see anyone managing numbers or a line (but I did see someone with a 26 on their hand up the rail a bit so there must have been something going on earlier).   Much of the rail was already taken up by the tree but I was more than happy with where I ended up.  Our whole area was pretty empty until after The Lumineers were finished -- only 1 or 2 people behind us until then.   Really great group around us!!        

On 6/20/2017 at 2:20 PM, vertigojds said:

No, that's incorrect (or at least was not the case usually).  In past relevant tours (360 and SOI), They let RZ in shortly after, not before, regular GA (at least on almost all, if not all, shows).

Edited by mike7man
accuracy

On 6/20/2017 at 11:49 AM, Synj said:

Better position!  When I did RZ on the 360 tour I did this every time.

On 01/07/2017 at 2:35 AM, Synj said:

Synj...you need to chill out between now and your show....you'll give yourself high blood pressure...lol!  Do you wake up in a cold sweat thinking about where you are gonna be? I bet you a redzone ticket for the next tour that you can't stop thinking about it for a whole day! 

37 minutes ago, Heather S said:

Synj...you need to chill out between now and your show....you'll give yourself high blood pressure...lol!  Do you wake up in a cold sweat thinking about where you are gonna be? I bet you a redzone ticket for the next tour that you can't stop thinking about it for a whole day! 

Lol!!!

I'd lose that bet for sure.

I'm honestly a pretty chill guy about most things, but in this I've caught the fever ?.

On 7/2/2017 at 3:12 PM, mike7man said:

No, that's incorrect (or at least was not the case usually).  In past relevant tours (360 and SOI), They let RZ in shortly after, not before, regular GA (at least on almost all, if not all, shows).

In my experience at the Red Zone during the 360 Tour (NJ 1 in 2009) and I&E (NYC 2), the Red Zone was let in before regular GA.  Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the Red Zone began letting in at the same time as GA.  I know that I was like #4 on the Red Zone line for the I&E NYC show, and when I was let onto the floor, the only people there were the ones in front of me in the RZ line.  I could have very easily had the center stage spots that the GA people waited all day for a chance at.  I didn't do it, but it would have been easily possible.

From what I understand, on this current tour, the RZ has been letting in after GA, but on the night I had RZ, I arrived after the doors open so I can't say one way or the other.