Max Tsukino

East Rutherford June 28 #U2TheJoshuaTree2017 Live Thread

U2 THE JOSHUA TREE TOUR 2017
June 28, 2017 East Rutherford, NJ MetLife Stadium

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday
  2. New Year's Day
  3. Bad / America (snippet)
  4. Pride (In the Name of Love)
  5. Where The Streets Have No Name / California (There is No End To Love) (snippet)
  6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
  7. With Or Without You
  8. Bullet The Blue Sky
  9. Running To Stand Still
  10. Red Hill Mining Town
  11. In God's Country
  12. Trip Through Your Wires
  13. One Tree Hill
  14. Exit / Wise Blood (snippet)
  15. Mothers Of The Disappeared
  16. Miss Sarajevo
  17. Beautiful Day / Rebel Rebel (snippet)
  18. Elevation
  19. Vertigo / It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It) (snippet)
  20. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
  21. One
  22. The Little Things That Give You Away
Sources: mixlr.com/lorevox | mixlr.com/no_end_2_love/ | Many Periscope streams | http://www.u2gigs.com/

What an amazing night. Best I've heard U2 in years. Such a great choice to go out with Joshua Tree and remind us all why we love them so much; why they hold a special place in our hearts. 

An outstanding show - one that reveals that it's always worth it to catch them for more than one show on any given tour.

I saw them ten days before in Philadelphia, and that show was incredible too. The only downside for that show was that it was very humid - otherwise, it was a very enjoyable time. Last night, though, we had about as close to perfect weather as one could hope for in late June in the Northeast - relatively cool and low humidity.

When I went through the setlists for shows before Philly, I noticed that they seemed to be alternating "Bad" and ASOH, as well as "Vertigo" and "The Little Things That Give You Away". In Philly, they played "Bad" and "Vertigo" (which slightly disappointed me because I would have preferred to hear the other two), BUT we got "Mysterious Ways" instead of "Ultraviolet" - so that variation was unique. Now, I really like "Bad", but I have heard it countlessly many times live; I've never heard ASOH live - so I was hoping to hear it last night. Tragically, it wasn't to be (frankly, it seems that from Pittsburgh onward, they are just playing "Bad in that slot - which, of course, means they'll probably play ASOH tonight and/or Saturday just to spite me. :)

Anyway, not hearing ASOH was only only (mild) disappointment of the whole show (as far as song selection anyway - more later...) HOWEVER, when in previous shows they have been playing "Vertigo" or "The Little Things That Give You Away", last night we got BOTH! :D From the DC show onwards, they seem to be playing longer encores. We also got "Ultraviolet", which I hadn't heard at the last show, so that was a bonus too. Of course, hearing JT all the way through was a special joy yet again. All in all, a blinder of a show!

I did have a quibble with some later-arriving audience members on the floor. Now, I parked up at about 3:30, then went to wait in line for GA. We were promptly let loose at 5 p.m., and those who had arrived in a timely fashion got the spots they wanted in the GA area in a nice, calm way. Fast forward to when U2 hit the stage, those who didn't arrive early decided they wanted to defraud those who had gone out of their way to arrive as soon as possible to get as close to the stage so that these interlopers could be there instead. NO! That is not right, and those around me (I was about 10 feet from the edge of the b-stage) were NOT letting these cheaters closer. Why do people do this? Those up front have been there for literally hours, so we know who belongs there and who doesn't - no vague "oh-I'm-trying-to-find-my-friend(s)" BS will work - it's VERY easy to spot the liars. If you want to be closer, arrive earlier - it's that simple.

End of rant. :)

Again, it was a great show. I hope the last two show in the US go as well as this one.