Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U2Community

The Blackout

5 hours ago, pain_18_ said:

I think the mistake we're all doing here is comparing.....we gotta stop comparing.....this isn't the U2 that was 5 years ago...or 20 years ago...or 30..or 40......or 5 seconds ago........" It's like the room, just cleared of smoke......."

This is very true. Some fans are looking for the next JT or AB, but for people whose work is music they probably don't want to sound the same on every album. Then you'd get people saying that every U2 song sounds the same lol, which somehow my non-fan friends actually say, to which I ask "Have you listened to more than one album?" Don't get me wrong, I love hearing hints of JT or AB, since those are my all-time favorites, but at the same time it's interesting to see what new sounds the band comes up with. To me that's what keeps them from being boring. And I can agree that Bono has some interesting lyrics these days, that don't make sense until I listen to the songs a dozen times lol, but I've always liked his unique style of lyrics. It feels like he doesn't constrain himself in what he can write. I actually really like SOI, I think Every Breaking Wave, Song for Someone and Cedarwood Road are some of the best lyrics Bono has written since JT and AB, and overall I think he did great with the lyrics on that album. The Little Things is great too, The Blackout is more strange but it's catchy. I am absolutely looking forward to Songs of Experience and whatever it ends up sounding like. I think I just ended up comparing again but the point is I will take whatever we get! 

:59a772ce87178_: = no information, no signal, no light. (as @AmpVisualDesign says)

:The_Blackout:

for years i wondered why Adam got 25 percent.....now i know.

didn't grab me like Vertigo .......probably gonna be a grower

Woo, this is like an early birthday present for me since my birthday is tomorrow! I love this song. It invokes feelings of 'Achtung Baby'. Now...when is the tour?

I wonder will they play "The Blackout" in the leg opener in Detroit? I was going to go, but can no longer, since I can't leave from Houston (pray for us here), so I won't know. I will see what social media says after the show.

16 minutes ago, toyoracer said:

Woo, this is like an early birthday present for me since my birthday is tomorrow! I love this song. It invokes feelings of 'Achtung Baby'. Now...when is the tour?

I wonder will they play "The Blackout" in the leg opener in Detroit? I was going to go, but can no longer, since I can't leave from Houston (pray for us here), so I won't know. I will see what social media says after the show.

Sounds like a good opener. It's always so strange hearing a song for the first time, it takes a few listens to feel the song and I have to read the lyrics to get the feel.

So sorry you are unable to make the Detroit show. Happy Birthday and praying for Houston and Texas.

If I have understood the idea of the setlist of the current tour a new song would not fit as a opener.

2 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

:59a772ce87178_: = no information, no signal, no light. (as @AmpVisualDesign says)

:The_Blackout:

Nice work Max, just noticed you added it to the emoticons! :59a772ce87178_:

The Blackout rocks man

Awesome song.

Well worth the wait 

Nothing like a mandatory 

Meeting at the hospital on your day off - at 11 when this is occurring. Great song. Loud and fast. Good stuff. Play in September! I love loud U2 to blare in my car - confuses people when they think of my quiet polite demeanor...and very loud music

3 hours ago, U2LAWoman said:

Sounds like a good opener. It's always so strange hearing a song for the first time, it takes a few listens to feel the song and I have to read the lyrics to get the feel.

So sorry you are unable to make the Detroit show. Happy Birthday and praying for Houston and Texas.

So weird but I always listen to a U2 song three times then pass judgement...by then it is part of the catalog in me brain

3 hours ago, toyoracer said:

Oh no! Prayers! I may have no one to go to Minneapolis or Indianapolis or St Louis with me...my brother may have to watch my dogs....if you find yourself in those cities in a few weeks...maybe you can have the other spot...hate it to go to waste

It's getting better listen on listen for me, really like the opening and would like more of that sound. Think the radio edit might be better as currently it's too repatative and exhausting in its current length. Still looking forward to the album release and hope there is a nice deluxe edition.

At first i just wasn't sure but it's grown on me and the chorus is really catchy. It sounds like even better than the real thing at the beginning. I prefer the best thing and little things to blackout at the moment but that could change after a few listens.

17 hours ago, bigwave said:

hi folks, less than 15 mins to go, was lucky to be one of those at the thing that this will end up being... any questions after its released, I will do my best to answer..

I didn't knew you were there. Would have loved to meet & greet in real life :-)

This song sounds soooo much better when heard on a good sound system with all bass/ woofer effects. You can feel each band member playing their instrument to their best. Adam's bass, Larry's drums, Edge's riffs & Bono's wonderful voice... all of them are on fire. This song has the tempo of Acrobat, Vertigo & Volcano but in a way it feels better than all of them & i look forward to being part of the GA when they perform this live. It will sound way better in live. 

Overall i have huge expectations from SOE after the amazing SOI album & the I&E tour in 2015. Going by this song & "Little things" i believe SOE album will be one of their most memorable albums perhaps even better than SOI more so because they have spent extra 1 year on this work & have gotten the opportunity to better it so many times by arranging listening sessions with the test audience lately.

Its time to start saving seriously for the SOE tour now. :)

32 minutes ago, sazshackle said:

At first i just wasn't sure but it's grown on me and the chorus is really catchy. It sounds like even better than the real thing at the beginning. I prefer the best thing and little things to blackout at the moment but that could change after a few listens.

I was thinking less Real Thing and more Zoo Station, as some people on here seem to have mentioned. 

I really like the song, but I feel like I'll appreciate it more when I've heard it without all the audience sounds that were overlaid for the video, when I can hear everything more clearly.

Blackout is growing on me which I think is a good thing:) Looking forward to 6 Sep announcement:D

Good to see the rhythm section back on form just need edge to turn his guitar up now;)

I was there too, one of the lucky few, really proud that U2 picked my hometown and one of the first cities outside UK and Eire to 'give U2 a break', as Bono once said. When I received the confirmation mail that I was invited I immediately started to find out where in Amsterdam this was going to be. And then, on Friday afternoon, I received a call to come to the Westergasfabriek (Western Gas Factory). So I invited a school friend, who is a U2 fan since the 80's too (in fact she wrote a book about U2) and we headed to the venue. We had to wear black or grey clothing without huge logo's and were told to keep our mouth shut about it. 

When I arrived I already thought that the filming was not taking place in the Gashouder, which is really huge, but in a small club called 'Westerunie' which is just next to it. Some people, who were on site posted stuff on Twitter, as they do, so the whole 'secret' was blown hours before it actually happened. It's a public place. 

We had to wait for hours outside while speculating what was going to happen. My friend was really worried U2 were going to perform a new song and shoot the video (which was spot on), but the song was going to be performed a couple of times and it turned out to be a 'reggae kind of ballad' or even worse... When we finally were inside the Gashouder my thoughts were right, there was no filming there, we just had to wait a little (ie: hours) more and were forced to leave our phones and sign all kinds of documents which told us we were entering a new kind of North-Korea :-)

Then they led us to the Westerunie and U2 performed this song five times, we were in this small venue full of cameras and cranes and stuff. These cameras had to change spot a couple of times before U2 played the song again. In fact it's really exiting to see no single camera or crane in the video!

At a certain moment Edge had troubles with his guitar, Dallas couldn't fix it and Bono got annoyed. He tried to cheer us up by doing a small Stand-up comedy routine: "A dyslectic walks into a bra" :-D

When it was all over we where crying for more, sung 'how long to sing this song' but the lads didn't play any extra songs for us. Bono was apologizing and asked people of the record company if we could listen to a brand new song of the forthcoming album, which they did. 

When I came home (just 10 minutes on the bicycle) I found out that Dutch newspapers and TV where mentioning this special gig already, but they were all wrong with the facts about what really happened. One of them actually wrote that 300 fans where hired and they were all dressed in black :-) I even wrote an article about this, called 'fake news' and was really worried I let too many secrets out, but fortunately I didn't. Here it is (for all Dutchies): http://www.gogmeunited.nl/fake-news/

About the song: I've heard it before, and immediately liked it. Which is not always the case when U2 comes with a first single from a new album... 

About the venue: last time I was at Westerunie it was for the funeral ceremony of a good friend of ours which passed away way too early. She was a huge U2 fan, so in some way that circle is round now.

IMG_0025.jpg

Thank you U2.com for inviting me to The Blackout Video Shoot. Love the song and the video.

What a night to remember!

20 hours ago, pain_18_ said:

Isn't AMRAA the one dancing at the end ?

hey! yes, it's me.

has the song grown on you yet? i read your comment about struggling with it a bit..

2 minutes ago, Amraaa said:

hey! yes, it's me.

has the song grown on you yet? i read your comment about struggling with it a bit..

Well....To tell you the truth, not yet, Amraaa but your presence in the video makes all the difference, you know....It's the thing that stayed with me the most..... :)

2 hours ago, gibbo1968 said:

Good to see the rhythm section back on form just need edge to turn his guitar up now;)

Ditto !!!!

1 minute ago, pain_18_ said:

Well....To tell you the truth, not yet, Amraaa but your presence in the video makes all the difference, you know....It's the thing that stayed with me the most..... :)

oh how lovely and kind, thank you!:)

let's wait for the whole album to come out so we can all sit down and listen to it as a whole- like you pointed out you did with SOI, i did, too, didn't leave the house for 3 days haha!

me, i honestly loved it. i love it that it's so drum and bass heavy- just how i like it!