Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JPollett

Politics Not Wanted

I have been a fan since the Joshua Tree was released.  Seeing a live performance was one of my concert goals for 20 years.  I finally get to see a live performance and the music was amazing.  The politics was not.  If you want to hold a political rally that is fine.  I paid for a concert and wanted a concert, not a politics lecture.  It is a sad case that now in this country if my politics don't match the liberal agenda I am a "racist, bigoted, homophobic, nazi" who is subject to assault for having an opposing view.  I am not going to argue my politics here but am just making the statement that I should not be constantly subjected to this harassment.  My only comment about the politics will be about the feminism video.  I found it very interesting (appalling) that you chose to highlight celebrities but I did not see Indira Gandhi, Golda Meir or Margaret Thatcher.  Surely their contributions are greater than Lena Dunham.  I was also disappointed that while you bashed the president not one word was said about the violent behavior of protesters who are routinely rioting, looting, and assaulting citizens.

I don't think you quite understand the meaning of the words "assault" and "harassment"  but whatever.

regarding Ultraviolet, they rotated some photos in and out depending on the show.  I'm fairly certain I saw all three of the women you mentioned at least once.

15 hours ago, JPollett said:

I have been a fan since the Joshua Tree was released.  Seeing a live performance was one of my concert goals for 20 years.  I finally get to see a live performance and the music was amazing.  The politics was not.  If you want to hold a political rally that is fine.  I paid for a concert and wanted a concert, not a politics lecture.  It is a sad case that now in this country if my politics don't match the liberal agenda I am a "racist, bigoted, homophobic, nazi" who is subject to assault for having an opposing view.  I am not going to argue my politics here but am just making the statement that I should not be constantly subjected to this harassment.  My only comment about the politics will be about the feminism video.  I found it very interesting (appalling) that you chose to highlight celebrities but I did not see Indira Gandhi, Golda Meir or Margaret Thatcher.  Surely their contributions are greater than Lena Dunham.  I was also disappointed that while you bashed the president not one word was said about the violent behavior of protesters who are routinely rioting, looting, and assaulting citizens.

good post JPollett. 

U2 have always brought politics into their live shows, ever since the War tour. Bands and musicians are people too, and they have opinions and free speech like the rest of us, and they can express those opinions however they wish. Their show, not yours. 

Also, don't call Margaret Thatcher a great woman, it's insulting to the millions of people who suffered under her premiership.

I have no problem with them having an opinion.  We live in a democratic country where free speech is allowed.  If they want to spread politics then the performance should be labelled as a political event.  When I buy a concert ticket it is to hear music not a political lecture.  

On 9/16/2017 at 1:01 PM, mksiggy75 said:

I don't think you quite understand the meaning of the words "assault" and "harassment"  but whatever.

regarding Ultraviolet, they rotated some photos in and out depending on the show.  I'm fairly certain I saw all three of the women you mentioned at least once.

I do understand harassment and assault.  Both are being committed regularly by leftists against anyone who does not agree with their agenda.  I find it very interesting that these protesters find it ok to block major traffic routes, smash windows, loot buildings and beat people (while they are wearing masks) and yet the right is accused of being fascist.  Most recent example is the cancellation of the U2 concert in St. Louis.  Because the police considered it a risk due to thugs rioting the concert was cancelled.

13 hours ago, JPollett said:

I have no problem with them having an opinion.  We live in a democratic country where free speech is allowed.  If they want to spread politics then the performance should be labelled as a political event.  When I buy a concert ticket it is to hear music not a political lecture.  

just remember JPollett that Bono doesn't really believe what he says. he is just branding himself. it is all about Bono. he can't help it. just expect it and enjoy the songs. 

for me it was either ditch my favorite band of 30 years or learn to live with it. a marriage of sorts.

i just hope he doesn't piss off half his audience . big difference in supporting AIDS and bashing a sitting president 56 million people just voted for. 

On 9/16/2017 at 2:01 PM, mksiggy75 said:

Ok !

... the other choice is anarchy ... remember ... democracy is better than kingdoms ... ?

b.

Anarchy is what we have now.  Masked criminals rioting in the streets pretending to be defenders of the oppressed.  Both of the major "brutality" complaints were revealed as false by forensic evidence which they choose to ignore.  Until the concept of personal responsibility enters the conversation I am sick of hearing about it.  The recent riots in St. Louis over the poor heroin dealer who was shot by police are obscene.  The forensic evidence was very clear that he tried to kill the  officers with his vehicle and the gun found in his vehicle only had his DNA.  Facts are inconvenient so they are ignored.

I find it hard to believe the band could find a way to play in Sarajevo and couldn't find a way in St. Louis.   Bottom line is the band and thousands of fans got bullied and nobody seems to be pissed off about it.  That is pretty soft for a big bad politically charged  band. Bet Larry wasn't scared. 

I think the difference is that in St. Louis rioters are allowed to loot and pillage freely.  I have not seen any other country that allows anarchy in the streets when an armed heroin dealer who tries to kill police officers instead ends up dead himself.

9 hours ago, JPollett said:

I think the difference is that in St. Louis rioters are allowed to loot and pillage freely.  I have not seen any other country that allows anarchy in the streets when an armed heroin dealer who tries to kill police officers instead ends up dead himself.

2 sides to every story, I think you made your point, cheers.

I literally can't understand why people feel the need to continually make posts like this or comment on the official Facebook page. U2 will never NOT be political it's a well known fact. If you can't get around that or just learn to tune that part out then maybe you should find a different band to follow :rolleyes:

They can be as political as they want -- at political rallies.  When they expect me to pay for a performance they should deliver a performance.  There are some places where I should be safe from hearing anyone's political rhetoric.

26 minutes ago, JPollett said:

They can be as political as they want -- at political rallies.  When they expect me to pay for a performance they should deliver a performance.  There are some places where I should be safe from hearing anyone's political rhetoric.

the thing is... you can't dictate how or what they say, and it's not their job (or any artist, for that matter) to create a safe space for you...

I’m pretty sure Adam clarified the bands stance on politics and music as far back as a rattle and hum.

On 9/29/2017 at 3:14 PM, Max Tsukino said:

the thing is... you can't dictate how or what they say, and it's not their job (or any artist, for that matter) to create a safe space for you...

^Thank you! This is spot on right here. 

On 9/29/2017 at 2:45 PM, JPollett said:

You need to understand that people don't "owe" you anything. Especially someone on such a level as a band member catering to a stadium full of their fans. It is well known that U2 have political messages and will use any/all platforms they can to get those messages across. Just because you pay for something as one small individual doesn't mean you deserve to get special treatment. What makes you think you are so entitled that you deserve such special attention/consideration from them? 

4 hours ago, adrnik said:

I’m pretty sure Adam clarified the bands stance on politics and music as far back as a rattle and hum.

2 hours ago, mich40 said:

Yup.

I find it hard to believe that the op has been a fan since the Joshua Tree and was not aware of the 'political' element of U2 shows

On 10/2/2017 at 9:56 AM, dermo said:

I find it hard to believe that the op has been a fan since the Joshua Tree and was not aware of the 'political' element of U2 shows

Also OP is an unpaid user and their only posts are in this thread complaining about the band...just thought that was worth pointing out. 

A lot going on here. 

I believe its admirable to honor & acknowledge people who have taken a leadership role, in their communities & in the world, to improve the safety & security of rights & resources for all, especially women, who have often been denied equal treatment, and who have faced these challenges with the kind of determination to achieve their goals.  I am certainly inspired by U2's representing in their music & shows.

As for USA politics, well, I must say , Bono along with U2, have been champions in Feeding the Hungry, & Healing the Sick, areas where I feel shared values & good faith.

As for President Trumps latest order for cutting funding for Public Health, cutting hundreds of millions access to affordable health care, is in direct opposition to these values to care for the sick. Cutting healthcare to this degree is just cruel.

I think its best in matters of allocation of the shared resources of the federal reserve,(I.e.taxes).

Myself, I feel personal attacks just fuel confusion, & one should be aware and accountable for their White Privledge, in considering what is fair & just.

I appreciate U2's attention to this.

On 10/16/2017 at 7:46 AM, hestia said:

A lot going on here. 

I believe its admirable to honor & acknowledge people who have taken a leadership role, in their communities & in the world, to improve the safety & security of rights & resources for all, especially women, who have often been denied equal treatment, and who have faced these challenges with the kind of determination to achieve their goals.  I am certainly inspired by U2's representing in their music & shows.

As for USA politics, well, I must say , Bono along with U2, have been champions in Feeding the Hungry, & Healing the Sick, areas where I feel shared values & good faith.

As for President Trumps latest order for cutting funding for Public Health, cutting hundreds of millions access to affordable health care, is in direct opposition to these values to care for the sick. Cutting healthcare to this degree is just cruel.

I think its best in matters of allocation of the shared resources of the federal reserve,(I.e.taxes).

Myself, I feel personal attacks just fuel confusion, & one should be aware and accountable for their White Privledge, i considering what is fair & just.

I appreciate U2's attention to this.

The Federal Reserve is  private and owned by the twelve Federal Reserve banks. It collects no taxes. Nor does it spend money on social programs. You must be thinking about the Treasury? 

Let me give you a hint. when you attack a group of people based on their skin color, the members of that group are going to take it as a personal attack because they are going to see it for what it is and that is racist, do you realize you defended personal attacks in the same sentence as you made one? We can debate opinions in a healthy way but please reframe from racism here. please.

My mistake. It must be the treasury.

White Privledge is a situation. Being aware of ones social advantage is not racism. Denial doesn't make things go away. How is that an attack?

I am not aware of any "white privilege" for myself.  In fact, growing up in the 70s under affirmative actions it was detrimental to be white when looking for work.  I think the appropriate phrase is "green privilege."  If you have money you can do what you want.  The rest of us have to work.  My other thought on this is President Trump has been subjected to a massive witch hunt because supposedly Russia interfered with the election process.  No proof has been found but the accusations continue.  On the other side it seems fine that Bono and other foreign celebrities are lauded for openly trying to direct public opinion and voters to their agenda.  Is that appropriate?