bigwave

U2.com 2018 Subscription FAQ Thread

1 minute ago, bgans said:

Talk to the people, like me, who got completely shut out of Springsteen on Broadway and the Harry Potter Play. Yes, the band sets the broad range/cap on ticket prices, and given the size/spectacle aspect to U2 shows, their ticket prices will be much higher than the stripped down set of a Springsteen show, simply to cover their much higher production costs. And yes, absolutely, there is also a profit motive in there, too.

The debacle that is TicketMaster's Verified Fan system is entirely on TM. Their secret sauce for determining who gets access to purchase tickets is a disaster. U2 should not have signed on to that, after seeing the hash they made out of the Springsteen on Broadway sale and the Harry Potter Play sale.

Agree 100%.  U2 signed off on this regardless what others might say.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bgans said:

Talk to the people, like me, who got completely shut out of Springsteen on Broadway and the Harry Potter Play. Yes, the band sets the broad range/cap on ticket prices, and given the size/spectacle aspect to U2 shows, their ticket prices will be much higher than the stripped down set of a Springsteen show, simply to cover their much higher production costs. And yes, absolutely, there is also a profit motive in there, too.

The debacle that is TicketMaster's Verified Fan system is entirely on TM. Their secret sauce for determining who gets access to purchase tickets is a disaster. U2 should not have signed on to that, after seeing the hash they made out of the Springsteen on Broadway sale and the Harry Potter Play sale.

springsteen on broadway and the limited run harry potter shows are the exceptions.  bruce pretty much sold out himself by charging $600-800 per ticket..  hardly anyone got tickets, because most were held back for people "in the know" and industry bigwigs.  but up until his last tour i think it was, when he raised prices by like $50 or so, i had always paid around $100 plus ticket fees, which was reasonable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gpmalecki said:

So, I wonder if this is for today and they have a different alottment for tomorrow. Is the blue the available seats, or the grey?

Blue.  It's not clear if more will be released for iNNOCENCE or Citi or if that's the total presale allotment.

So, I wonder if this is for today and they have a different alottment for tomorrow. Is the blue the available seats, or the grey?

Blue were listed as eXperience and some VIP packages both needed the eXperience code

Edited by chrissy1967

3 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I concur.  It is why Pearl Jam cancelled their whole 1994 Vitology tour...to boycott TM's monopoly.  Luckily, PJ honored the dates in Milwaukee, where I live, for Summerfest.  It is a huge music festival.  I got to go both nights.  Tickets were $18.  I think the service charges I just paid for today's presale were equal to what I paid for those tickets.  I love the band, Dawes.  I've seen them 16 times this tour alone.  For the last show, the service charges were $2.64 and the ticket was $30.  They use a separate ticket broker and not TM.  The problem is how does a band as big as U2 not use TM? 

The simple answer is "they have to use Ticketmaster." TM has a monopoly contract for ticket distribution at most major venues in the US and Canada. You cannot have an event at spaces like Madison Square Garden, the Prudential Center, the Meadowlands, etc. unless you agree to use Ticketmaster to distribute the tickets. There is no other way to do it. If U2 wanted to ONLY play at non-Ticketmaster venues, the closest they could get to New York City would be Wells Fargo arena in Philly. Otherwise, you are playing at Irving Plaza or Webster Hall, to a crowd of 2,500 people or so.

1 minute ago, ApolloAndy said:

Blue.  It's not clear if more will be released for iNNOCENCE or Citi or if that's the total presale allotment.

if blue is all that's available, they either had to have certain areas they sold today, or everybody else is shit out of luck cause that seems like its almost sold out...

1 minute ago, lmnoiu said:

springsteen on broadway and the limited run harry potter shows are the exceptions.  bruce pretty much sold out himself by charging $600-800 per ticket..  hardly anyone got tickets, because most were held back for people "in the know" and industry bigwigs.  but up until his last tour i think it was, when he raised prices by like $50 or so, i had always paid around $100 plus ticket fees, which was reasonable.

The closest seats for Springsteen on Broadway were 800, but most were 200 - 350 and some were $75.  Hardly anybody got tickets because it's a TINY theater.  My daughter's middle school auditorium is larger.  The place is so small he sometimes didn't even use the mic.  

12 minutes ago, edgebenson said:

What a F-ing Joke!!!.  So many tickets left but I can't get a code.  So pissed off I can't even see straight

Don't get too pissed-those are pretty much vip packages at $470 +

1 minute ago, Manohlive said:

Unless you are an A list famous person.....everyone got shut our of Springsteen on Broadway.  I'm glad I went to this solo show in the 90s and the Devils and Dust solo show.  He did a lot of the same at those shows.

Not true!  I'm a complete nobody who got 4th row with the verified fan thing.  I didn't see anyone famous in the crowd.

6 minutes ago, ApolloAndy said:

I would have to imagine they have more set aside for innocence group tomorrow. and for Citi, some too. 

3 minutes ago, bgans said:

The simple answer is "they have to use Ticketmaster." TM has a monopoly contract for ticket distribution at most major venues in the US and Canada. You cannot have an event at spaces like Madison Square Garden, the Prudential Center, the Meadowlands, etc. unless you agree to use Ticketmaster to distribute the tickets. There is no other way to do it. If U2 wanted to ONLY play at non-Ticketmaster venues, the closest they could get to New York City would be Wells Fargo arena in Philly. Otherwise, you are playing at Irving Plaza or Webster Hall, to a crowd of 2,500 people or so.

Not true.  Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Sheeran, Springsteen, etc have all played at MSG recently, and didn't charge an arm and a leg for tickets. U2 signed a very lucrative contract that would set high ticket prices, vip package, and fan club gimmick crap so that livenation could profit off of the contract.  There's no defending it.  They are free as anyone to make as much money as they want, but don't put on this front of being "anti-scalper" when they are charging hundreds for decent seats..  Again i ask, who is doing the scalping here?

1 minute ago, kassie67 said:

Don't get too pissed-those are pretty much vip packages at $470 +

if you filter out the VIP Packages you will notice there are a ton of Experience presale tickets

6 minutes ago, gpmalecki said:

if blue is all that's available, they either had to have certain areas they sold today, or everybody else is shit out of luck cause that seems like its almost sold out...

There's got to be more seats released tomorrow and for Citi, otherwise what's the point?  I've been peeking at MSG and Newark and there are very few good seats left. Assuming it's only showing today's presale seats.  Can anyone who purchased their tix today describe what they saw for blue dots when they logged on early?  The 10am crowd?

This is how it appears right now on the Boston Garden Ticketmaster site. Having been on the second release of tickets in the past, they must have others seats for the other codes. 

U2 eX.jpg

4 minutes ago, DeirdreBell said:

Not true!  I'm a complete nobody who got 4th row with the verified fan thing.  I didn't see anyone famous in the crowd.

You aren't the only one. I was completely shut out, but I know a lot of regular people who did get tickets. All of the celebs were comped for opening night and told "this is it, no more" I'm waiting to hear from one friend, if her husband has to be out of town the night they have tickets, she will take me, otherwise her husband gets that ticket. Wait and hope.

This whole thing is a bad joke. Ticketmaster's algorithm simply can not make out who is a fan and who is not. I almost feel I need to take all of my records, t-shirts, books, ticket stubs, etc and head to the local Ticketmaster office to prove I am a fan.

1 minute ago, DeirdreBell said:

There's got to be more seats released tomorrow and for Citi, otherwise what's the point?  I've been peeking at MSG and Newark and there are very few good seats left. Assuming it's only showing today's presale seats.  Can anyone who purchased their tix today describe what they saw for blue dots when they logged on early?  The 10am crowd?

i go to a lot of shows and am pretty familiar with the process.  if it's like anything else in the past, the fan club tomorrow will get the leftovers from today.  that's why there's an advantage to being an experience member, as you get first dibs on tickets.  they're not going to "reward" the non-experience members with additional seats.  they never have for u2 from what i remember.  credit card companies sign contracts with these tours to secure their own allotment of tickets.  so, there will likely be additional tickets in the citi presale, but not necessarily better seats, or even floor tickets at all.  most of the credit card presales i remember searching have sucked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimbull said:

This whole thing is a bad joke. Ticketmaster's algorithm simply can not make out who is a fan and who is not. I almost feel I need to take all of my records, t-shirts, books, ticket stubs, etc and head to the local Ticketmaster office to prove I am a fan.

TM has named it badly.  It's not Verified Fan.  It's Verified Human or Non- Scalper.  They don't care if you like the band, as long as you're not a bot.  From what I understand.  

I was soooo blindly optimistic that finally in 2017, U2 would get it right. I don't think it is fair to blame Ticketmaster or LN...U2 picked their vendor.

Now for the 5th tour in a row, I didn't get what I wanted. I am willing to pay crazy/fair amount for a front row seats but by 10:01 all good seats were gone or thrown in some VIP package. Ended up with overpriced RED ZONE tix since my son can't stand all day for a reasonable floor spot as he has severe heart disease...this is beyond pathetic...and the verification code didn't keep me from buying 6 tix in total. 2 GA's in Boston, 2 GA's in Philly and 2 RZ in NYC.

Great try guys, but f'd me up again. I was one of the first 1,000 propaganda members back in the early 80's...YEEESH!

4 minutes ago, jmjmchip said:

I was soooo blindly optimistic that finally in 2017, U2 would get it right. I don't think it is fair to blame Ticketmaster or LN...U2 picked their vendor.

Now for the 5th tour in a row, I didn't get what I wanted. I am willing to pay crazy/fair amount for a front row seats but by 10:01 all good seats were gone or thrown in some VIP package. Ended up with overpriced RED ZONE tix since my son can't stand all day for a reasonable floor spot as he has severe heart disease...this is beyond pathetic...and the verification code didn't keep me from buying 6 tix in total. 2 GA's in Boston, 2 GA's in Philly and 2 RZ in NYC.

Great try guys, but f'd me up again. I was one of the first 1,000 propaganda members back in the early 80's...YEEESH!

So you bitch and moan about 4 coveted GA and 2 RZ tickets when others are getting nothing.  You better hope the fact that you bought 6 tickets doesn't get all of them cancelled.

Just now, jmjmchip said:

I am sincerely sorry to hear about your son.  In that case, you are entitled to accessiblity seating.  I would call the box office of the venue and ask them for help.  I believe there is a window of time in which a TM order can be cancelled.  I am recovering from multiple blunt cranial trauma.  I was going for GAs for this tour because I've worked hard to be able to do so.  However, it would be an exception.  The venues in Chicago are so nice to me.  Call the box office asap, explain the situation and you may well end up much happier than you are now.

If you bought 6 tickets using the code for today....they are probably going to cancel those seats.  The limit was two.  In the past, those who bought more than their allotment wound up with no tickets.  FYI