bigwave

U2.com 2018 Subscription FAQ Thread

7 minutes ago, GMAN75 said:

I just can't pull the trigger on 325 tickets even though they are good seats.  Anybody else feel the same way?

You're not the only one. I'm 5'2" and will be dancing on the floor. I can't justify spending $1000 for three tickets. I'm good with spending $300 for a really fun evening out with my husband and daughter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bgans said:

It seems that you, like me, live in NYC. I managed to score lottery tickets for SoB. I absolutely never thought it was possible - not after two years of trying and failing for Hamilton lottery tickets. I entered the Springsteen lottery a few times, for nights when I knew I was able to go. What do you know, I got the text yesterday morning saying I won. Back row of the mezzanine, but in the house. Give it a shot - what's the worst that will happen? Good luck!

Wow, congratulations!  I've been playing the lottery as well, but no luck yet.  Have a great time!  I hear it's an amazing show.

• Like 1

While this presale was obviously a disaster for many, it probably worked perfectly for thousands.  I still don’t believe that it was a lottery for paid U2.com members. Something obviously went wrong, but I doubt that TM or the band would consider it to be the unmitigated disaster that it is being portrayed as here. Maybe I’m wrong, but the vast majority of people who got the tickets they wanted won’t bother to comment here so we have no way of knowing if the people who got shut out are in the minority.

25 minutes ago, GMAN75 said:

I just can't pull the trigger on 325 tickets even though they are good seats.  Anybody else feel the same way?

Ditto. Still no GA for Chicago. (Using code for iNNOCENCE presell)  also don't have it in me for seats behind the stage. 

I'll keep trying but will probably (hopefully)get tix in next weeks general sale. 

I’m with you. I think I’ll try and wait it out and hope they release more tickets in the general sale or add more cities and dates later. I’m thankful I was able to see them on the JT tour 

49 minutes ago, GMAN75 said:

Yes!

For Montreal, the Silver package seems to be better than Tier 1 tickets. For $310 (still a lot of money - don't get me wrong) you can get row 1 in the 200 level + the VIP tour book that could probably be sold later online for almost $100 to help with the cost.

$360 for a lower level seat is a bit rich. And the RedZone price - eye-popping $!

Edited by enriquediaz

For those without a code, I should be able to buy 2 more tickets.  Let me know which show and maybe I can find something for you. 

All I can say is that it worked as intended for me.  I bought my two GA tickets for San Jose at 10:00 AM, as part of the iNNONCENCE group, and was all done by 10:10 AM.  But reading these comments, it makes me angry that things did not work smoothly for people.  I also was unaware until now that it was a lottery.  I was lucky, I guess.

Edited by Rich T.
better

10 hours ago, dmway said:

This post is a bit off. If you really think that the band members themselves are or should be responsible for their own ticket sales, that's just not understanding the basic ways bands that reach the level of U2 operate.

When bands get beyond local bar-band stage, you get proper management - in fact, that's why management exists in the first place, i.e., to take care of the nuts-and-bolts of the business end of things so that the band can concentrate on their music (in the studio and a live setting). They will be involved at a distance, in a broad-brushstroke kind of way, but not in day-to-day operations. And, frankly, that's the way it should be.

U2Girl1966 is exactly right - LiveNation and/or Ticketmaster are to blame here. Like many U2 fans, I was apprehensive when Paul McGuinness was no longer the manager and LiveNation took over - I feared that things just like this might happen, i.e., their business end would become more impersonally corporate. And they have to a degree.

I'm still impressed that the website is as responsive as it is - the moderators have to take all of the venting, both fair and unfair, even when they aren't responsible for the problems and often can't directly do anything to fix the problems. The reason they take it is that they are U2 fans like the rest of us.

Now, I remember quite clearly when Larry himself apologized to the fans on-stage at the Grammys about the pre-sale fiasco at the beginning of the Vertigo tour. The band was not responsible for that - evil, bot-planting hackers were - but Larry spoke out in a very public setting to apologize. He didn't have to do that.

If the band finds out about what has happened so far, they may very well speak out about it. I'd applaud them for doing so, but I certainly would never condemn them for not doing so. It's not in their wheelhouse; it IS in LiveNation's and/or Ticketmaster's, though. If neither of them say anything, they should be roundly criticized.

Finally, about their "sounding off about everything else in the world" - I don't think that a pre-sale snafu rises to the level of something like genocide in Myanmar. The band has every right to air grievances about a leader they lobbied very hard for for years, especially when the silence there is so disturbing and disappointing. There will be more dates for their tour and those who haven't gotten tickets yet will have more opportunities to get tickets. There are plenty of places to lay blame for the ticket sales so far, but the band certainly doesn't deserve any.

7 hours ago, shule said:

i agree with you completely, except for the part about not condemning them if they don't speak out...didn't the band hire these people ? are we LN, TM or U2 fans ?

Of course, we are U2 fans.

They could ream them in private - that would be more customary. However, I think we will hear from them publicly about this eventually. I'm pretty sure the news will filter up.

LiveNation made a pitch to them long ago - they would have made themselves appear that they would and could do no wrong, and they would have done so convincingly. If they betray the band's trust later on, I don't see how we get to the 'blame-the-band-immediately' position fairly. Before we consider starting the passing of judgement on the band, more time needs to elapse, I think.

Good luck to those still hoping to get tickets - many more will go on-sale soon, and those who f*cked up certainly are aware of it. And good for everyone who has taken the responsible parties deservedly to task - the band members themselves certainly aren't part of that group though...

9 hours ago, love_and_light said:

Thanks for sharing too... Here we are,, ticket-less... fans that have made the band and their music a huge part of our daily lives., I'm happy I have though, I believe I'm a better person because of them:) Glad you saw them in Santa Clara, I saw a few shows as well....amazing times! I'm in LA so I hope new dates are added here, and in other cities.

I just tried again and now it's telling me my code in invalid... I wonder if it got stolen? Oh well... I'll be meditating on the moment of surrender:)

Peace!

This whole code thing is an abject failure. For every person that got a code, there was someone who didn't, or the code didn't work.  I don't think it's even 50% success, which is terrible.  I guess we can at least know that our misery is in good company.  

My life is better with U2 in it.  Hopefully, that add shows.  LA usually gets more than one.  There were two shows in San Jose for i+e 2015, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  If I get tickets, it will be "Magnificent". ;)

• Brilliant 1

8 minutes ago, 504jumper said:

This whole code thing is an abject failure. For every person that got a code, there was someone who didn't, or the code didn't work.  I don't think it's even 50% success, which is terrible.  I guess we can at least know that our misery is in good company.  

My life is better with U2 in it.  Hopefully, that add shows.  LA usually gets more than one.  There were two shows in San Jose for i+e 2015, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  If I get tickets, it will be "Magnificent". ;)

We will most likely never know for sure, but my bet would be that the success rate was WAY more than 50%.  There were probably many people who did get tickets for every one that didn’t.  Most of those who had no problems won’t be on here talking about it. 

Well this turned out to be the biggest scam ever.  Renew your membership early for the chance to buy the worst tickets ever.  Ridiculous, but my fault.  Should have known better.  This is not about the fans.  It is all about money.

• Like 1

The fan club is a complete scam.  To suggest band should not be held to account for it is ridiculous.  Where do you think our $40-$50 goes?  we were induced to pay the money on the basis of a borderline misrepresentation and the band profits from it.  Shameful, honestly.  In an era where music is basically free, the "content" associated with being a fan club member is worthless and no one, and I mean no one, would have shelled out the money for it.  No, we were sold magic beans.  But hey Bono and Osery need gas money for their Yachts.  So the scam must go on.

• Like 1

I don't think the band makes a statement on this pre-sale situation -, at least soon.

I think the problems with the pre-sale have just been talked about in U2 fan circles and not the wider music world. Until it spills over to being reported about in music news, I don't think they draw attention to their mistakes here.

I don't think they want this press & narrative going into the new album - only two weeks out from release. Especially after the blowup with the last album's distribution. It feels like every album review & story about SoI was about the problem with "forcing it into everyones iPhones". They probably don't want this ticketing screwup to spread & take over the conversation. Maybe if the music they've released so far was more commercially successful, but it feels like what they have released so far hasn't been to a level of success U2 wants/needs.

Edited by cpp203
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, 504jumper said:

Not only are they certain to add shows at most cities, but Ticketmaster is likely to release more tickets to the existing "sold out" shows.  It's happened for me before that I just checked on some random evening a few weeks after the fact, to find that GA tickets were available (and were then gone 5 minutes later after I made my purchase).

18 minutes ago, Zoonation76 said:

Well this turned out to be the biggest scam ever.  Renew your membership early for the chance to buy the worst tickets ever.  Ridiculous, but my fault.  Should have known better.  This is not about the fans.  It is all about money.

There are still more fans than released tickets, so it will never be a perfect system.  If U2 were not as popular, everyone who wanted a ticket could get one.  What will probably happen is that they'll release a second show, and then you'll have a better chance, because most of the people from Night One are not going to return for Night Two (but I will).

No GA's for the iNnocence group is honestly laughable.  But it makes sense when you think about it.  Osery knows that GA tickets will be super easy to sell.  Casual fans will gobble them up in the general (or Citi) sale.  The $331 tickets in second deck?  Not so much.  So, make those available to the die hard fans who already shelled out $50 for the chance to get early tickets.  A good portion of them will panic and just pony up that ridiculous amount for marginal seats.

Then, reserve all the good expensive seats for packages.  Rich people who don't want the hassle of spending the time will just shell out the cash.  Then, take the vast majority of the good seats and unload them to the secondary market (who you are in bed with) to hedge the cost of the tour.  Hopefully they sell and the shows are sold out.  If they don't, prices will drop as the dates approach.  Lastly, as the show approaches and the vast majority of the "packages" go unsold (because the prices are ridiculous), release those good tickets back in the gen pop of tickets at $331 and they will sell because the seats are so good.

This is the game. Which is fine.  Very smart people are hedging risk and looking to make big bucks on this tour. Lots of mouths to feed, and those mouths prefer caviar.

The problem is the dishonesty.  It is disgusting.  The whole blitz by TM, Osery (and the band itself) about how they want to get tickets into the hands of real fans is complete and total horseshit.  They leverage the diehard fans in the pre-sale to gobble up crap tickets at terrible price points because they know they will.  They actually charge them a club membership fee for the privilege of doing so.  Money is king, and the bs lip service paid to fans is only part of the machinery in service of that king.

Edited by Zoonation76
  • Like 1
  • Brilliant 2

11 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

There are still more fans than released tickets, so it will never be a perfect system.  If U2 were not as popular, everyone who wanted a ticket could get one.  What will probably happen is that they'll release a second show, and then you'll have a better chance, because most of the people from Night One are not going to return for Night Two (but I will).

Anyone who is in the fan club will probably do night 2 also...but probably will not get a code.

11 hours ago, 504jumper said:

Yeah, I didn't get a code. Stared stupidly at the screen wondering what to do next. Tried calling TM's toll-free number, no luck. Confirmed my account was set up correctly, check. Confirmed my mobile number was correct. It's 10:23 pm here in S.F. and no code, no email, even though I used the Help link provided by the Mods.  Nothing. Not even a general email apologizing to those who didn't get a code.  The sad part is, I don't expect one. These guys suck they same way certain large corporations suck.  They're the only game in town and they know we know it. 

If all else fails, and you can't get a ticket when they open up more shows, just show up at the venue in the morning, and you have an excellent chance of finding someone with an extra ticket who will sell it at original cost.  U2 fans are helpful, and are not looking to scalp tickets.

Edited by Rich T.
y

34 minutes ago, james busick said:

We will most likely never know for sure, but my bet would be that the success rate was WAY more than 50%.  There were probably many people who did get tickets for every one that didn’t.  Most of those who had no problems won’t be on here talking about it. 

there are lots of tickets available using the pre-sale code.  they are just crap.  and have been since the pre-sale opened.  I heard the Citi pre-sale people had better luck with GA's.  Far more were released to that group.  But again, those would be more casual fans, so completely expected that more accessible tickets would be released.  Milk the die hard fans.  They are a layup.

3 minutes ago, malaboo said:

Anyone who is in the fan club will probably do night 2 also...but probably will not get a code.

It would be interesting to know the repeat rate, but I'd guess less than half of fan club members do both nights.

24 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

Not only are they certain to add shows at most cities, but Ticketmaster is likely to release more tickets to the existing "sold out" shows.  It's happened for me before that I just checked on some random evening a few weeks after the fact, to find that GA tickets were available (and were then gone 5 minutes later after I made my purchase).

There will probably be almost double the amount of shows.  Which is why I am waiting.  Looking at the schedule they will likely play 4 at MSG alone.  And like others have said, the fan community for U2 is incredible.  I got floor tickets for the tour opener at face value the week before the show because of how great the community is.  If you are willing to invest the time, you will get GA's.  

I just wish they would be honest about what they are doing.  Or, at a minimum, don;t spew non-sense to us like they actually give a shit about the "real" fans.  They don't.  They so very clearly don't.  They leverage us.

I'

6 minutes ago, Rich T. said:

It would be interesting to know the repeat rate, but I'd guess less than half of fan club members do both nights.

I'll qualify that by saying that definitely if you are traveling any considerable distance you are definitely doing night 2 (and maybe 3 and 4) and anything in your hometown, if you are a die-hard (which, if you are in the fan club, is safe to say you are  - unless you're a tout) you are almost certain to do night 2 (assuming dates work).