Sign in to follow this  
bigwave

U2.com 2018 Subscription FAQ Thread

I think from reading most if not all the comments we're all pretty pissed off about this gift. Two rubbish remixes and another that we have on other releases!!! I like vinyl with the ability to download in MP3, but this is SIMPLY not worth a curse. Save your money u2 putting this together!!!

15 minutes ago, johnnyboy1 said:

I think from reading most if not all the comments we're all pretty pissed off about this gift. Two rubbish remixes and another that we have on other releases!!! I like vinyl with the ability to download in MP3, but this is SIMPLY not worth a curse. Save your money u2 putting this together!!!

We would be quite a bit happier if they would release better quality downloads - if they released lossless or at least WAV files as the download, those who want this as a CD in CD-quality audio could have it; those who want mp3s can very easily and without cost convert lossless/WAV files to mp3s - everyone wins this way.

But, yes, the original offer is pretty poor. I wish we could know who comes up with these gifts and, further, be allowed to contribute to the process to choose what the annual gift is - we have literally paid for the right each and every year. 

Edited by dmway

ii  was  hoping  for  full  concert   of  a Lovetown  gig  and a  dvd  of    a Lovetown  gig.

and  agree  with thee  above,  can  we  have  an  option  to  download   these  tracks  in  wav, lossless,  flac format ...and  mp3   formats.

Seriously? Vinyl AGAIN??? This is the third subscription gift that's been vinyl records. I don't have or want a record player. One useless gift was bad enough, but it's getting silly now. :/

• Sad 1

The band should maybe do a poll every year, give subscribers three options of what they'd like as a gift and then what format! It could be a one week or two poll done in January. I think most people would be happy with that process.

A band like U2 who grew up in the age of vinyl (like me), want to encourage people back towards it. I can see tha appeal, but not everyone will, I think 3 years of vinyl in a row is not fair to everyone, we are all from different generations. It can't be the same format every year, I know you can still be given the option to download the tracks but it's not the same.

• Like 1

I was hoping it would be a Joshua Tree 30 blu-ray. Though a part of me knew that it would be Rattle & Hum related and hoped it would be either an expanded CD or even just the Excerpts EP. Their remixes go one of 2 ways. Ridiculous and extended (I'll Go Crazy... I'm looking at both of yours) or so subtle it's hard to tell what's been changed (Sleep Like a Baby).

1 hour ago, clapton is god said:

ii  was  hoping  for  full  concert   of  a Lovetown  gig  and a  dvd  of    a Lovetown  gig.

and  agree  with thee  above,  can  we  have  an  option  to  download   these  tracks  in  wav, lossless,  flac format ...and  mp3   formats.

This is the way to satisfy everyone - that's why I keep pointing it out and will continue to do so...

57 minutes ago, Canadanne said:

Seriously? Vinyl AGAIN??? This is the third subscription gift that's been vinyl records. I don't have or want a record player. One useless gift was bad enough, but it's getting silly now. :/

I concur.

25 minutes ago, johnnyboy1 said:

The band should maybe do a poll every year, give subscribers three options of what they'd like as a gift and then what format! It could be a one week or two poll done in January. I think most people would be happy with that process.

A band like U2 who grew up in the age of vinyl (like me), want to encourage people back towards it. I can see the appeal, but not everyone will, I think 3 years of vinyl in a row is not fair to everyone, we are all from different generations. It can't be the same format every year, I know you can still be given the option to download the tracks but it's not the same.

Agreed.

23 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I don't think a poll is going to do it.  I think we need to collectively write a letter and all sign it as paid subscribers, or each of us write a letter and get them all delivered collectively. I think we need to figure out to whom it would be delivered.  I've seen where the mods are letting them know of the discontent.  I really appreciate the mods.  Them telling whomever we are not happy has precipitated no positive change.  I think that we need, as Zootopians, to do it and make our voices known.  

I may have misquoted whomever initially posted about the poll.  It's usually dmway.  I can only be in here a little bit so I'm leaving it be.  I'll try to change it later.  

I wasn't explicitly asking for a poll (but I'm not against that possibility either) - we were led to believe that our suggestions on-site would actually have some kind of impact on what would eventually be offered. That was clearly not true.

The postings in a specific thread for a gift I thought was a great way to make our legitimate preferences known, but that has proven to be wrong. We should have some kind of input into the annual gift that our collective dues pay for.

Some of the gifts in the past were truly wonderful - for example, I loved the "From The Ground Up" book and the "Medium Rare & Remastered" CDs. Those were GREAT gifts. The book on their early days in Dublin was really good too. It's only the last 3 to 4 years that I have had a problem with either what was offered and/or having a single format imposed on you whether you wanted it or not. Canvassing the U2.com paid community in some way would only alleviate any potential difficulties going forward.

I really would like to know who chooses what's offered and how they come up with it. I also wish we would be consulted in advance, even in a generic way. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I really don’t like the gift, 3 lousy remixes and on top of that it’s a vinyl again, which is useless for me as I don’t have a turn table.

Not happy at all with the 2018 gift, I think it’s the worse since Duals.

I guess a CD with an I+E concert or Joshua Tree 30 concert would have been a better idea. 

Edited by bacadorina
  • Brilliant 1

1 hour ago, dmway said:

This is the way to satisfy everyone - that's why I keep pointing it out and will continue to do so...

I concur.

Agreed.

I wasn't explicitly asking for a poll (but I'm not against that possibility either) - we were led to believe that our suggestions on-site would actually have some kind of impact on what would eventually be offered. That was clearly not true.

The postings in a specific thread for a gift I thought was a great way to make our legitimate preferences known, but that has proven to be wrong. We should have some kind of input into the annual gift that our collective dues pay for.

Some of the gifts in the past were truly wonderful - for example, I loved the "From The Ground Up" book and the "Medium Rare & Remastered" CDs. Those were GREAT gifts. The book on their early days in Dublin was really good too. It's only the last 3 to 4 years that I have had a problem with either what was offered and/or having a single format imposed on you whether you wanted it or not. Canvassing the U2.com paid community in some way would only alleviate any potential difficulties going forward.

I really would like to know who chooses what's offered and how they come up with it. I also wish we would be consulted in advance, even in a generic way. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I love your comments, dmway.  What I mean is us saying, "Hey-you screwed up the first presale only to have the European presale screwed up as well. You then botched up the vinyls for TJT.  You should fixed the first presale before the European presale began.  You should have known that many people would sign up as paid members to get presale tickets for TJT tour and been prepared with the 2017 gift.  Many were unhappy with the gift even if it had been delivered on time.  You customer service is, or was, lacking. The response was slow at best.  (add all the other issues we wish to address here)  (continue with:) We are your base.  Why have you abandoned us?  If you have not-it certainly seems so and we have fed up with it."...something along those lines where we are addressing, line by line, all the negative issues which have risen since 2017.  It's only in raising our voices as one that we can most be heard. We all know this.  I profess no new truth.  I think we should put it into action.  Perhaps they will not only hear us, but actually listen and respond accordingly.  Again, I'm okay with the RnH vinyls. I'll leave them to my Godchildren as collectibles.  I wish I had been left some cool Beatles stuff as collectibles, so I'm okay with the gift. The packaging looks a bit cheaper than TJT vinyls.  Who knows?  I can easily see why many are not happy with the 2018 vinyls.  I do not understand how anyone could not have known these 2018 vinyls were going to bomb with the majority of Zootopians.  I cherish my From the Ground Up book, along with the other which retraces their early days in Dublin. ( I can't remember the name of it so pardon me )   I don't understand the purpose of the thread where we were asked what we wished for our next subscriber package.  It's not a gift.   It's part of a purchased package.  We pay for it.  The mods are so cool to us.  I'm not intending this to go to them or go after them or cause them any more headaches.    I think this collective letter/response/whatever, should be rammed down the throat of the CEO of Live Nation. (figuratively) and all others involved.   I also think it should go to Guy O'Seary.  It's just an idea and everyone should have an input into what is said and how we do it. It is a way to do something concrete instead of just lying and taking it all.  We are Zootopia.  I still believe that means something.

Edited by Manohlive

Just now, doctornickriviera said:

I feel sorry for The Mods.

I do too.  The second I saw the gift announcement I thought of them and was sorry they have to deal with all of this discontent.  It's why I initially made a funny post about this 'gift'.

• Like 2

Just now, Manohlive said:

I love your comments, dmway.  What I mean is us saying, "Hey-you screwed up the first presale only to have the European presale screwed up as well. You then botched up the vinyls for TJT.  You should fixed the first preasale before the European presale began.  You should have known that many people would sign up as paid members to get presale tickets for TJT tour and been prepared with the 2017 gift.  Many were unhappy with the gift even if it had been delivered on time.  You customer service is, or was, lacking. The response was slow at best.  (add all the other issues we wish to address here)  (continue with:) We are your base.  Why have you abandoned us?  If you have not-it certainly seems so and we have fed up with it."...something along those lines where we are addressing, line by line, all the negative issues which have risen since 2017.  It's only in raising our voices as one that we can most be heard.  Perhaps they will not only hear but listen and respond accordingly.  Again, I'm okay with the RnH vinyls. I'll leave them to my Godchildren as collectibles.  I wish I had been left some cool Beatles stuff so I'm okay with the gift.  I can easily see why many are not.  I do not understand how anyone could not have known these 2018 vinyls were going to bomb with the majority of Zootopians.  I cherish my From the Ground Up book, along with the other which retraces their early days in Dublin. ( I can't remember the name of it so pardon me )   I don't understand the purpose of the thread where we were asked what we wished for our next subscriber package.  It's not a gift.  We pay for it.  The mods are so cool to us.  I'm not intending this to go to them.  I think it should be rammed down the throat of the CEO of Live Nation. (figuratively)  I also think it should go to Guy O'Seary.  It's just an idea and everyone should have an input into what is said.  It is a way to do something concrete instead of just lying and taking it all.

Thank you very much for the compliment - please accept mine in return. :)

I fully agree that the mods are great here. I have quite a bit of sympathy for them because they have to listen to everything we don't like about the site, and all they can really do is pass along our concerns and hope they make a difference. (Confidentially, I think they mostly agree with many of our points, but are perhaps in the awkward position of not being able to express that agreement openly.) I don't think that they think we are picking on them - we may create more work for them, but I think they knew the risks before they took the job (which I have heard is unpaid - even more kudos to them).

Yes, I loathe the band's relationship with LiveNation. I sincerely hope they do not renew their contract with them when it expires (which is thankfully only a couple of years away now). The rot really only started to set in once LN was on the job - before then, U2.com (and Propaganda before that) were almost completely wonderful.

We pay the same dues yearly whether they are on tour or not - yet I would hazard a guess that the main reason most of us renew every year is to keep our pre-sale status for shows. Even this has been negatively affected by having our former allotment cut in half - you can get more presale tickets by merely being a Citi cardholder than by being a paid member of U2.com. That's not right.

I know most people don't even use the 25% discount in the store each year (me included). It's because the cost of everything there is far too high, and that's before the exorbitant shipping rates. That's not right either.

$40 a year to post on all sections of the U2.com forum is too much also - most band's official forums are free of charge to use.

Where is the value for money here?

I complain so much because I care, and the overall service here wasn't always underwhelming. U2 is my favorite band, but the band is not being served well by the current condition of its own website. We get charged the same price year after year but get less for it. That's not right.

You may be right about more direct action, vis a vis, Live Nation. I hope they are getting news of our comments.

• Upvote 1

I’ve sent an email to u2.com, I suggest everyone do the same and keep reposting the message. Something just short n sweet, this subscriber gift is rubbish, we want something else!! 

28 minutes ago, dmway said:

Be sure that the suggestions will be read... But there are a few things that must be thrown into the equation: First, it must be understood that it's impossible to implement any of the suggestions made on the thread immediately - the process to make them takes a lot of time.

Another thing that must be taken into account: Not every one of them is feasible... it could be because of production issues, it could be because of legalities involved.

Some of the gifts in the past were truly wonderful - for example, I loved the "From The Ground Up" book and the "Medium Rare & Remastered" CDs. Those were GREAT gifts. The book on their early days in Dublin was really good too.

An observation: there were complains about these gifts as well (from mild to very, very loud)...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I think it must be really hard for the mods to explain and defend U2 and their managements decisions re tour presale arrangements, ticket pricing, ‘gifts’ failure to deliver said gifts until halfway through the following calendar year., and also clearly not listening to the opinions of their fan base.

i really don’t know how they do it. 

Edited by doctornickriviera

Just now, Max Tsukino said:

Be sure that the suggestions will be read... But there are a few things that must be thrown into the equation: First, it must be understood that it's impossible to implement any of the suggestions made on the thread immediately - the process to make them takes a lot of time.

Another thing that must be taken into account: Not every one of them is feasible... it could be because of production issues, it could be because of legalities involved.

An observation: there were complains about these gifts as well (from mild to very, very loud)...

Yes - some of the suggestions were unfeasible and I think I said that when I commented on it originally.

I think a lot of us would feel better if we knew in more detail how the ideas are decided upon. We are completely in the dark about that process.

It's true that you will always get complaints regardless of what is offered - I'm sympathetic to that. Having more input into the process (or at least knowing broadly what the process even is) would help.

Well, that's ultimately what I hope for.

Three R&H remixes, a bit of a let down. If they were going to celebrate 30 years of R&H how about a vinyl with the film songs not on the original album.

The U2 Corporation just seems completely out of touch with their subscribing customers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

I think it must be really hard to explain and defend U2 and their managements decisions re tour presale arragements, ticket pricing, ‘gifts’ failure to deliver said gifts until halfway through the following calendar year., and also clearly not listening to the opinions of their fan base.

i really don’t know how they do it. 

It must be a bitch.  It's hard for me to still defend the band vs. Live Nation and I pay to do it.  I did NOT know they were unpaid positions until just now.  My respect, admiration and affection for the mods just increased exponentially.  I don't think anything we say now will affect the 2018 gift.  It could make a difference for the 2019 gift, and future presales.  I'm not trying to incite a figurative riot here.  I'm trying to figure out a concrete action all of us can agree upon and do so collectively.  At least we are doing something.  I'm not trying to take the helm of anything. We need to do something that does not cause problems yet gets across the discontent of Zootopia.

Edited by Manohlive

Well, contrary to popular opinion in this thread, I like the vinyl gift -_- although my "The Joshua Tree Singles Vinyl Collection" doesn't appear yet :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

Ps what happened to Bajagirl from the old zoo?

She was very kind and most patient with me-especially during the 360 tour.  

11 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

Ps what happened to Bajagirl from the old zoo?

She still pops in every once in a while. She just has other things going on now. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Max Tsukino said:

Some of the gifts in the past were truly wonderful - for example, I loved the "From The Ground Up" book and the "Medium Rare & Remastered" CDs. Those were GREAT gifts. The book on their early days in Dublin was really good too.

How anyone could loudly complain about From The Ground Up is beyond me.  That gift had to be a very expensive endeavour.

12 minutes ago, mich40 said:

She still pops in every once in a while. She just has other things going on now. 

Appears to be on twitter too. And it seems that the presale didn’t go well for her.

Edited by doctornickriviera