bigwave

Have You Ever Visited Any Of The Joshua Tree Iconic Places?

As the #U2TheJoshuaTree2017 Tour headed through North America earlier in the year some of us went on a pilgrimage to some of the iconic places that grace the cover of The Joshua Tree album...

Some of the U2.com team tagged along too and documented it over here : http://www.u2.com/news/title/full-circle-desert-trip

Quite a few other fans have done similar journeys so if thats you, here's the place to highlight your own story / photos / videos surrounding your own Joshua Tree pilgrimage,

IMG_0120.JPG

• Like 2

Me (from the UK) and a few other girls became friends through the old Propaganda magazine (some UK, some U.S)  and we all met up in Dublin. 

Went to a few places and me and an American girl separated from the group and went to see the towers "running to stand still" and got the train to Belfast although it wasn't the steam train anymore.  I'll add photos when I find them.            I only have pics of the towers but have loads more of different places in Ireland, and the best of it was we got to meet the lovely Edge one night, it will stay with me forever. 

This was years ago before this Joshua tree tour does it still count? 

Edited by Wendy66
  • Like 1

I went in June 2016. It was an incredible experience. I have two pieces of advice for those considering a visit:

1) Do your research before you go. The GPS coordinates are on the internet, you just have to search for them.

2) GO NOW! I was shocked at how fast nature is reclaiming the tree. It won't be there forever (though the tributes will outlive the tree).

TreeLevel.JPG

• Like 2

Managed to get to see the tree in 2011, together with a trip to Bodie aka ‘Red Hill Mining Town. Left my inflatable lemon from Popmart tour as an offering to the tree !!! Also been up One Tree Hill in Auckland in Nov 2006, where we bumped into Larry the night before the gig !!!

On 11/8/2017 at 8:43 PM, Wendy66 said:

Me (from the UK) and a few other girls became friends through the old Propaganda magazine (some UK, some U.S)  and we all met up in Dublin. 

Went to a few places and me and an American girl separated from the group and went to see the towers "running to stand still" and got the train to Belfast although it wasn't the steam train anymore.  I'll add photos when I find them.            I only have pics of the towers but have loads more of different places in Ireland, and the best of it was we got to meet the lovely Edge one night, it will stay with me forever. 

This was years ago before this Joshua tree tour does it still count? 

would love to see those photos

1 hour ago, nikb said:

Managed to get to see the tree in 2011, together with a trip to Bodie aka ‘Red Hill Mining Town. Left my inflatable lemon from Popmart tour as an offering to the tree !!! Also been up One Tree Hill in Auckland in Nov 2006, where we bumped into Larry the night before the gig !!!

Any photos you would like to share?

I have seen the Joshua Tree & Las Vegas Freemont experience I believe it’s called. It’s where they shot the Still haven’t found video. I’ll sit down & put something together to share one of these days. I have photos & video. 

31 minutes ago, Shannon387 said:

I have seen the Joshua Tree & Las Vegas Freemont experience I believe it’s called. It’s where they shot the Still haven’t found video. I’ll sit down & put something together to share one of these days. I have photos & video. 

look forward to viewing..

Worse story ever- I lost my camera 2 days after visiting in June 2014!!!  My husband had graciously helped me find it and hiked out there with me- so I had a photographer the whole time, too!!! 

I managed to capture 3-4 on my cell phone before leaving, realizing I'd want to post online right away, so those are all I have :(. I did sign the notebook, so there is proof there somewhere! 

IMG_4069 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4067 - Copy.JPG

• Like 3

18 hours ago, nikb said:

I totally remember seeing the inflatable lemon in the suitcase that's there! I did a solo desert sojourn in the summer of 2016 where I drove from Venice to 29 Palms and stayed at the Harmony Motel, then drove through the Mojave and stayed a night with artists at Tecopa then visited Zabriskie Point as the sun rose (so stunning!) and drove on and found the Joshua Tree. It was such a beautiful, humbling experience. Definitely a life goal and bucketlist item checked off for me. I left a message on a stone and left it under the Joshua Tree and wrote in the notebook too. Just a wonderful, beautiful experience. I'm desperate to head back out there again! I just found my pic of it and I'm going to try to post it now.

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_9623.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

Edited by desertrose927
To include photos in my message
  • Like 4

These are hilarious! Love it! :) Sounds like a fun trip. I am a native Californian so been to JT many times growing up. I remember getting the album and driving thru JT park with my sister blaring it in the car. Saw a couple coyotes and beautiful sunset :) I am overdue for a visit!

4 hours ago, desertrose927 said:

I totally remember seeing the inflatable lemon in the suitcase that's there! I did a solo desert sojourn in the summer of 2016 where I drove from Venice to 29 Palms and stayed at the Harmony Motel, then drove through the Mojave and stayed a night with artists at Tecopa then visited Zabriskie Point as the sun rose (so stunning!) and drove on and found the Joshua Tree. It was such a beautiful, humbling experience. Definitely a life goal and bucketlist item checked off for me. I left a message on a stone and left it under the Joshua Tree and wrote in the notebook too. Just a wonderful, beautiful experience. I'm desperate to head back out there again! I just found my pic of it and I'm going to try to post it now.

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_9623.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

So glad the lemon is still there. I wrote my email address on the side requesting folks send pictures of themselves with it !!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nikb said:

So glad the lemon is still there. I wrote my email address on the side requesting folks send pictures of themselves with it !!!

Oh! I totally didn't see that written on it! I would have otherwise! Maybe it was still written there but I was little teary when I was at the JTree and couldn't see it. I also didn't rummage too much in the suitcase as there were old t-shirts from shows from the 80's in there that were just holding onto life and I didn't want to be the one responsible for them disintergrating any more. The plastic lemon was definitely a good token to leave behind! I couldn't bear parting with my U2 mug that travelled with me and should have prepared something else besides a stone. Oh well, next time I'll be better prepared! ;) 

The lemon lived on the top of my wardrobe for 14 years, I thought it would be a good final resting place for this unusual piece of tour memorabilia !!!

• Brilliant 1

Did you manage to get any tickets to next years shows ? I've managed to bag a couple of RZ's for MSG, should be a good trip for us from the UK.

28 minutes ago, nikb said:

Did you manage to get any tickets to next years shows ? I've managed to bag a couple of RZ's for MSG, should be a good trip for us from the UK.

Ugh, no I'm in the Innocence group so I'm avoiding the temptation of Stub Hub and waiting out for tomorrow's presale to open for the LA show. I feel like it's just going to be a sham of an experience tho. It's been so hard getting tix to their previous shows! Fingers crossed tho!

Definitely on my bucket list. I would love to share this experience with other fans. I'm single and I feel like this would be a really special moment in my life to share. Since I don't have anybody to share it with, fans that it would really mean something to would be great to bond and share this experience with.

The Joshua Tree was pretty much my first record. It spoke to me then and has ever since. I remember sitting on the floor in front of my stereo and flipping that vinyl over and over again lost into the music and the lyrics. It was how I first heard about U2 which is my favorite band and has been ever since. This band and this record have changed my life. My only regret is not going sooner when it was still standing. But I'd love to go with those who would find such a pilgrimage as special as I would, something they'd never forget. 😊

My friends and I have been out to "The Tree" twice: once in 2006, then again 3 years later in 2009. I hope I can return again someday, even if the JT has disintegrated by then. At the risk of sounding cheesy, It's such a beautiful and peaceful spot. 

JoshuaTree07+(14).jpg

JoshuaTree07+(41).jpg

jt3.gif

tree52.jpg

jt4.gif

Hi we went on a Musical Journey a few years ago you can read my short essay and see a couple of pictures at the below links; will try and dig out some more photos to post

Edited by joshthetree
Twitter stuff added
  • Like 1