hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

On 12/18/2017 at 9:09 PM, JCF said:

I wonder if they have more "Passengers" albums in them. Pure experimental stuff...I remember Adam saying something in an interview once about maybe one day just making music for themselves and the fans, not aiming for relevance and radio play.  Anyway, I'm still pleasantly surprised at how much I love SOE. I wasn't expecting to, so I'm so glad I love it. I totally understand yours and others' critiques of it, they make sense. Luckily I just love the music, the sound, the lyrics, on this album so the critiques don't get in the way for me!  I can't wait to see the shows live. 

JCF...

I play the album multiple times a day. And like you, I do like the album & lyrics,too. And also like you.....I never care what the critics think, either......

I base my love for their music.....from my own perspective! Like ALL u2 albums....the more I listen.....the more "in love" I become/committed. Much like the natural course of a human relationship....it evolves with time. Oddly, u2 albums get better and better with time....not worse.....like most songs.

Passengers was really cool stuff.....and I think if they let themselves be creatively "free'' and uninhibited like that.....the  intuitive genius in them will naturally flow......

Edited by unforgettableu2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, willo66 said:

Safe and predictable is definitely the problem with SOE. Let other bands do that. 

Yes willo66....let other bands do safe/predictable .....and there are SO MANY that can fulfill those shoes.....

SOE is a "good"  album.....and has some "good" songs.....but, U2 has never been just a "good"  band producing "good" songs....

U2 is a excellent band....whom most always produces/creates excellence......

LOVE this new album!!! Best since How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.  No question.  Nearly every song is a home run. Hard to pick a favorite.  But, The Showman is good (a real pop song).  So too Red Flag Day, American Soul, The Little Things, You're the Best Thing, Love is Bigger, and a few others.  (-:  Took me a few listens for all the songs to grow on me, but grow they did.  Some, like The Showman, American Soul, The Little Things and You're the Best Thing, have great hooks that made an immediate impact.  But the others really grew on me.  I've been listening to it for the past three days, over and over.  Really love it!!!!!  Amazing.  Can't wait to see them in LA!!!!

Book Of Your Heart, 13, Little Things - U2 as raw and sincere as they can nowadays. Happy with these three out of thirteen (too many I could not listen to through after 20 seconds) but yes, I think I still can follow them -  but just a bit! - cos of those three. B)

• Like 1

Ah... The bands live performance of Love is Bigger than... aired on BBC tonight... nothing short of wonderful. 

What a feckin great great band. 

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

Loved Light of Home on BBC too great live songs ! The album is still staying strong to me definitely their best work in many years, not a filler on it !

• Like 1

Personally i think SOI is a far stronger album than SOE . I find a few songs on SOE quite boring and some just too poppy. Little Things, The Blackout and Red Flag Day are the best tracks for me, other songs don't really resonate with me. Usually i listen to a new U2 album and can't wait to play it again but that is not happening with this album. Hopefully in time it will grow on me, just don't think it will. Hopefully on the next album they won't worry about having hits and make amazing music they are still capable of. If the album grows on me i will write another review!...... ok.. having had the chance to listen to the album a few times it is slowly growing on me! My only gripes are 1. Love is all we have left should not be the first track and 2. Personally i dont think Landlady and 13 There is a light are strong enough tracks to be on the album. Other than that i look forward to listening to the album a lot more and hopefully will begin to really love it :)

On 19/12/2017 at 11:13 PM, jaanakulo said:

Book Of Your Heart, 13, Little Things - U2 as raw and sincere as they can nowadays. Happy with these three out of thirteen (too many I could not listen to through after 20 seconds) but yes, I think I still can follow them -  but just a bit! - cos of those three. B)

I was like that at first but tracks are growing on me slowly.. little things is a great track. Im not keen on 13 and Landlady. 

On 12/8/2017 at 9:58 PM, JCF said:

Same here. I think you described it well.  I always feel like my face *must* be shining like Moses when he came down from Mt. Sinai, after U2 shows!  It's always a little rough coming back down to Ordinary Time after being in U2 Time for several few days.  

It's definitely a unique experience! - and so many people say so!  I saw them many times in the '90's and towards the end of the show starting getting all sad that "the end" of the show was near...   but now, so many years later, I wonder if I'll just be exhausted before the end of the night!! ;)

Same here. I think you described it well.  I always feel like my face *must* be shining like Moses when he came down from Mt. Sinai, after U2 shows!  It's always a little rough coming back down to Ordinary Time after being in U2 Time for several few days.  

It's definitely a unique experience! - and so many people say so!  I saw them many times in the '90's and towards the end of the show starting getting all sad that "the end" of the show was near...   but now, so many years later, I wonder if I'll just be exhausted before the end of the night!! ;)

SOE just keeps getting better with each listen. I was somewhat underwhelmed at first, but so many tracks are growers. Standouts for me are Little Things, Blackout, The Showman and Red Flag Day. That said, Lights of Home has got to me now! No real "padding" - few, if any, weaker tracks. 

Edited by Phil Argyle

Love SOE. Can’t stop listening to Love is Bigger Than Anything!  What a song. Love the BBC Special and Bono’s singing is phenomenal.  🇨🇦❤️U2. Hope they play in Toronto or Hamilton. So excited to hear this album live. I’ve been a fan for more than 30 years and still so excited to hear their new music. 

17 hours ago, economicformula said:

I'm finding that these songs really lend themselves to the idea that U2 should take a background singer or two on this tour. Any thoughts on that ?

I really liked the addition of the choir on the BBC performance, so yeah, that'd make sense.

18 hours ago, economicformula said:

U2 should take a background singer or two on this tour. Any thoughts on that ?

I'd gladly help them out if they need a backup singer! ;)

for me the album doesn't really get good until track 7 'Red Flag Day'. I love the opening song, Bono's voice sounds great but the 5 songs after that are just good to ok songs. for me 'Get Out Of Your Own Way' is the weakest song on the album. I posted in another thread that the way it starts out quiet with the title lyric and then gets loud reminds me of 'Beautiful Day' and it doesn't give me anything new as a listener, a fan of 25 years. from 'Red Flag Day' on I'm pretty happy, my top 5 are in those last songs. I've listened to the album 3-4 times, I can't see the earlier tracks improving in my ears sadly. 

my top 5

The Little Things That Give You Away < a fantastic song, it's the best song on the album and has the goosebump factor that U2 can bring to a song.

Red Flag Day  < a great song with a rhythm that makes you wanna move, absolutely love the backing vocals.

Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way < a very moving song, love the melody of the chorus and Bono really putting his heart into this. love it.

Landlady < at first listen I didn't care for this song but it's a little gem, great outro.

The Blackout < that bass, good grief. more U2 songs need Adam's bass driving songs like this. and yes, I wanna jump all about when the lights go out :59a772ce87178_:

• Like 2

On 12/23/2017 at 11:09 AM, allyson2008 said:

I'd gladly help them out if they need a backup singer! ;)

Yes, I was going to volunteer the same! And I think, having watched some of the songs from the BBC, that they need to bring along an orchestra, too.  Can you imagine??

On 12/22/2017 at 9:18 PM, economicformula said:

I'm finding that these songs really lend themselves to the idea that U2 should take a background singer or two on this tour. Any thoughts on that ?

Yeah, as some have said, it might be an idea. I know the choir that would have been on stage that night are absolute professional singers, but they seemed to genuinely look like they were absolutely enjoying the whole experience too!

I'd sign them up for the tour!

49 minutes ago, yardie said:

Yeah, as some have said, it might be an idea. I know the choir that would have been on stage that night are absolute professional singers, but they seemed to genuinely look like they were absolutely enjoying the whole experience too!

I'd sign them up for the tour!

Might as well keep the orchestra as well. 

Can you imagine an orchestra with songs like Streets ... awesome.

Well just got SOE and first listen was good.....BUT.....then as I hear more and more of the songs then it is really growing on me fast.  I think the best songs are always the ones that get better the more you listen.  SOE  has the potential to be one of their best ever!   Great mix of songs with many hitting mainstream music hits.    Just got tix for Philly show in June......  

8 hours ago, adrnik said:

Might as well keep the orchestra as well. 

Can you imagine an orchestra with songs like Streets ... awesome

Orchestra performing the synth riff from Mofo!