hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

I've read a few reviews in the press and they haven't been great.............but they are not usually a good indication as to if I will like this the album or not. Heard the little things live a few times on the JT tour and that worked great live, liked it a lot. Wasn't to keen on your the best thing.... That middle eight section just doesn't work for me at all...... I am really looking forward to SOE though and it's also my birthday 😄. As usual the songs I like least will be the ones I like the most in the long run. I remember not liking raised by wolves but the live version was epic. See you in Tulsa on tour 👍

Edited by russpm

2 hours ago, thelordrob said:

Book of your heart still Rip my heart

Summer Of Love: what a riff

red flag: best rock song on album

finally!!!!!!!

Book Of Your Heart is the best song!

Lights Of Home (St. Pete's)... awesome!!

Countdown to SOA (Songs Of Ascent) is on!!!

Random question: is anyone else having a problem with both the regular and Kygo remixes of YTBTAM downloading with the digital copies of the album? It won’t let me download those two.

As easy as a breeze, each heart was yours to please - The Little Things That give you away

Edited by hudsonr

I'll have to be honest, I've been with the guys since Boy but when I first heard the first group of songs released I thought that if this was coming from just about any other band it would be really good but coming from U2 it seemed like they were trying to get back on the I Heart radio show which isn't exactly filled with the deepest of artists. Now after hearing all of SOE track by track I'm really getting more and more pumped up about it and praying I get a chance to hear these songs live. Not sure if it just took time to warm up to(like a number of my favorite albums) or if it put's them more in context. Either way is fine with me.

A good U2 album is better than most music act's best albums. SOE is a good U2 album and a definite step up from SOI 

After  5 listens for me the truth in the reviews about SOE lies somewhere in the middle. Its not U2's greatest work as some claim. Independent reviews on other sites are calling it weak and terrible. The writers may need to get there ears checked. It's a very solid and intelligent piece of work and one of U2's better albums.The best song on the deluxe edition for me  is one of the extras 'Book of Your Heart' superb . The Blackout and American Soul remind of U2 Zoo era and are great tracks. Little Things That Give You Away is the 2nd best track on this album. Your the best thing about me will be a stadium favourite for sure. 

Landlady is one of the tracks that has already grown on me after initially thinking wtf :)

Summer of Love, Get out of your own way , Love is all we have left and love is Bigger than Anything in its Way , is the band taking the mainstream pop route 

Red Flag Day reminds of raw U2 early 80s

Lights of Home and The Showman I think are the weakest tracks and I would have replaced Book of Your Heart with one of these tracks in the main collection. 

As others have stated I believe U2 produces better B Side tracks and side projects  than most acts produce album tracks eg Book of Your Heart, Hands That Built America Ms Sarajevo, Ground Beneath Her Feet, Ordinary Love, 

Stateless, Electrical Storm, Crystal Ballroom, Lucifer's Hands to name a few 

AB and JT are U2's greatest albums. 

For me, SOE comes in the next group with TUF and HTDAAB

Edited by GeorgeM_11

Not all the way through yet, but so far I think it's better than NLOTH and SOI.

• Like 1

Well postman hasn't been yet, so haven't managed to crank up the decibels in the car yet (yup, still young at heart.) However, couple of run throughs on Spotify and think as an album this is pieced together pretty damn good. Not sure about 'love is all....' as an opener, something a bit more punchier for me would have worked better, but in the fullness of time I'm sure there'll be a reason. A minor personal critique. Think the rest is just bang on the money. 'Get out of your own way' into 'American Soul' a real highlight with the later really growing into a superb track. Call me old fashioned, but I just love a good old fashioned big U2 tune and with 'Love is bigger....'.... well, I'm already singing (or wailing morelike) that one in the shower earlier!! That's just my initial thoughts. Thanks for the music U2. 

• Like 1

OMFG I AM LOVING THIS!!!! Quality work.  Not sure about American Soul yet, it's growing on me.  Get Out Of Your Own Way makes me cry because it reminds me of my BFF that is across the otherside of the world, The Blackout is freaking awesome.  I could go on, it's all so goooooood.  Got it on through the headphones right now and it's even better.

• Like 1

As much as I love them I've been really critical about this band the last two years. With that said I just listened to the album four times over the course of two hours and I have to be honest, I think his is the best collection of songs in over 20 years. 

Every song flies. Even ATYCLB had clunkers (looking at you, "When I Look at the World"). I don't think there is one one here. Amazing record! 

Working away here listening on repeat.  I'm with those who are somewhere on the positive side of middle:-)  Some crackers: Lights of home, Blackout, Little things and what about The Showman for a crazy little throwback?!  I have a real aversion to Earnest Bono (give me pain, joy, confusion, paradox but not earnest!) so Love is all we have left, Red flag day and Summer of love just grate on my ears.  Delighted to be listening! 

On 11/21/2017 at 2:38 PM, yardie said:

I'm tending to agree. I recall in my late teens - this band released 'The Joshua Tree'. I recall hearing the first single lifted off the album - it was called 'With or Without You' (i know you know), strange sound n all that and thinking 'what the feck is this - bit feckin wierd - this isn't 'Pride', this isn't 'Homecoming' , where is 'Bad' #2? - what the feck is this? this is slow!!

Who recalls the first time they heard 'The Fly' as a first release off AB? Raised eyebrows? Always with U2, it wouldn't be the same U2 if they didn't pose the questions

I think this release is full of 'growers' - I base that only on what I've heard - this is going to be an absolutely cool album quite possibly their best since HTDAAB, perhaps exceed that.

Th'on 'With Or Without You' turned out not to bad after all.B)

T

There's a lot of U2 haters out there - humans hate successful longevity as a trait.

OK, as an honest U2 fan, No Line & SOI, whilst both containing great tracks, weren't critically acclaimed, and perhaps were perceived as weaker album releases - I struggle to buy into that. There is no such thing as a bad U2 album. There is such a thing as progress though. I believe this release will be progress.

In your 50's - you will never replicate your 20's or 30's - life unfortunately curtails that to some degree - not many better than U2 at giving it a damned good go!

So true, Yardie!  

Here's to 1st December!

no.  I am in Singapore  and according to the shipping it only shipped on 29th - so add 10 days.  I ended up buying from iTunes just now, which I am OK with because the new albums generally take a week to hit here anyway.

I have pre-ordered the super deluxe, or whatever the big one is, am I not supposed to be able to download the album today.  This is on top of the 4 CD's I will be getting for buying tickets (2 on presale, 2 on general sale).

Anyone know????

Having my first listen after buying it this morning and I'm loving it!! "13 (There is a Light)" brought tears to my eyes. And I love the fact that "Ordinary Love" is now finally on CD (on the Deluxe Edition). 

Listening to it all day at work today in Australia and have to say I’m loving it. Really solid album with Love is bigger than anything in its way the pick of the bunch! Very happy.

• Like 2

Just finished the 1st playthrough accompanied by a bottle of Temperanillo Gran Reserva 2009.

Spoilers ahead, abandon ship ye of little faith!

Immediately thrown for a loop, Track 1, oh they've got someone else to do the vocal! Then Bono creeps in. That was quite the head-fuck but I loved the vibe straight out of the box.

Then it's acoustic guitar...Alrighty then! I'm taking gulps of wine at this point. Do you know my name!? Dig it.

I like the next song. It's makes me feel good. I wish I'd not heard it before this night though.

Now were getting seriously into the good songs; the heart of the album. GOOYOW (that's how it's done in the Zoo, right?). I can listen to this all night all night. Was bummed that the little poem was absent from the start. Love the speech that starts at the end.

Love the start of American Soul, Summer of Love had me forcing a smile, no seriously I was like enjoying it but The Beautiful Ghost that had been visiting with me was starting to fade into the fog juice ;these middle 3 are breaking the spell. Well just drink and take in the Rock and Roll show I guess. Nod along. Tap the foot.

By the end of The Showman, I've had to open a South Australian Shiraz. (Peter Lehman).

Little things is the best thing about this record for me. Good wine, brings good times, the Ghost has taken a firm step back into the room.

Landlady Blew the roof off my little haunted house. The Blackout less so....at risk of being M.U.R.D.E.R.E.D by all and sundry. Fuck it, I'm drunk...you can't hurt me.

Love is Bigger I will revisit, it felt a lot like listening to a season of Grey's Anatomy. I didn't mind that show.

13......I put the glass down for this one. I couldn't pick it up again until the end. Enough said. Beautiful.

For me this album is like a visitation. Echoes of the past, which I really like, and haven't heard done in quite this way before. What a great risk. The middle 3 won't at this stage make it on to my portable device I'm afraid. The mix also has a LOT of compression (?) big white spaces in the loud parts. Overall production is fantastic, but would love to hear this record on Vinyl.

So that, for what it's worth, is where I'm at.

You Are ROCK and ROLL...or some ghostly ethereal spirit entity.

Edited by razspazz
Typo then double post trying to edit...lol
  • Like 1

Razspazz i agree with you, this album makes you stop whatever you are doing and listen. The lyrics and emotions that come through on this album are strong and powerful. There is real heart and soul in this record.

• Like 3

Listened through only once so far.

This album makes you stop and listen.  It demands attention.  Brilliant stuff here, and I hear hints from all over their career.  Very much an album from "experience".

• Like 5