hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

1 hour ago, rixchix said:

I'm in the minority but i think SOE is not their best effort, not even close.  For sure, it'll be good live...but i just can't pick out a song that I'd want to play over and over.

HTDAAB was the last good album.  

I think I see your preference here.

You didn't actually say it, but one can figure out that you don't really care for the latest stage of U2's songwriting. I agree that their current variety of songwriting really began with NLOTH. You prefer the sound from HTDAAB and before - no problem there of course.

Your post reminded me of another post I wanted to make concerning the patterns in U2's songwriting over time. I'll probably get around to it because they seem to still be fitting this pattern, to my ears anyway. (I'm also curious to see if the long-rumored "Songs of Ascent" ever sees the light of day - i.e., I wonder if there are songs still left from that original idea. I'm wondering if they have used the songs for the original SOA on SOI and SOE - just as many song ideas originally started during the AB sessions found their places on Zooropa and POP eventually.)

In any case, SOE is doing it for me! :)

49 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

Having seen a head full of dreams tour a few days after the Joshua Tree tour i’d Have to say that Coldplay were better this time.

I went to see Coldplay a couple of years ago at Wembleyfor the first time.  I wasn’t that bothered before I went but they are awesome live.

Not sure The Joshua Tree Tour is comparable, it was a rushed together tour but still wonderfully done. Compare it to The I & E tour which blew me away with its visual majesty, playing from inside the screen which I don’t believe anyband had done before. U2 have always set down the markers on live performance, whether that be Coldplay, Muse etc, great bands but U2 did it first with Zoo TV and then again 360 and then again with I & E. 

• Like 1

I agree about I&E mind. Fantastic. Saw it at the O2 and was GA halfway along the Catwalk on the barrier. Amazing show. 

My view on the Joshua Tree Tour was Probably marred by the awful seats. (Had to sit as taking my 11yo daughter) the acoustics in the stand was awful and the screen didn’t really work from that distance as it was light until 945pm. Also the seats despite being expensive presale seats were on the middle tier in the back corner partially obstructed by the lighting gantries. I would never sit for a concert at twickenham again. 

Hopefully if I can bag some tickets on Wednesday U2 can convince me they still have it. 

Seen every tour bar elevation since zooropa and would hate to miss this one.

11 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Am I the only U2 fan that likes Coldplay?  Soylent Green?   I like bunnies, Big, but that just wounds me.  :)

Nope. I love Coldplay. For me they're just behind U2 as a favorite band. Ive just learned not to talk about them here. ;) 

• Like 2

I'm still torn about which out of I&E at the O2 vs TJT at Twickenham I preferred. They both had quite different vibes. I&E felt like a little club night and TJT felt like a massive warehouse rave. Both good, but for different reasons. I&E was special for me because it was my first U2 show, but TJT felt like something that was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience, as most album-in-full shows do. 

One can only wonder what vibe E&I will have!

27 minutes ago, peterferris8 said:

I'm still torn about which out of I&E at the O2 vs TJT at Twickenham I preferred. They both had quite different vibes. I&E felt like a little club night and TJT felt like a massive warehouse rave. Both good, but for different reasons. I&E was special for me because it was my first U2 show, but TJT felt like something that was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience, as most album-in-full shows do. 

One can only wonder what vibe E&I will have!

On 'innocence' - it was the first time I'd seen the band indoors - in New York & Belfast. The latter was very special. Prior to that it was always arena in Dubs, including last year with TJT. I dunno - but Belfast was an awesome indoor gig in 2015 where you could almost touch the band. I'm hoping for more of the same later this year - ticket permitting. In fact, I think I'm actually going to push the boat out on this one tomorrow morning and go for the most (almost) expensive tickets available - as you just never know when a journey will end.

12 hours ago, BigBunny said:

yes, you are the only U2 fan that likes Coldplay. now go watch the 1973 classic movie 'Soylent Green' starring Charlton Heston and you'll know what I mean.

oh, I buy my music. I always have to have the cd, deluxe if there is one... now go watch the movie!

peer.gif

12 hours ago, BigBunny said:

oh, I buy my music. I always have to have the cd, deluxe if there is one... now go watch the movie!

Hey!   Don't be telling me what to do!  :)   j/k    yuck.  Soylent Green was bad in the 70's.  I remember. 

That cat's head going up and down is hysterical.

3 hours ago, KEV ANGELL said:

Not sure The Joshua Tree Tour is comparable, it was a rushed together tour but still wonderfully done. Compare it to The I & E tour which blew me away with its visual majesty, playing from inside the screen which I don’t believe anyband had done before. U2 have always set down the markers on live performance, whether that be Coldplay, Muse etc, great bands but U2 did it first with Zoo TV and then again 360 and then again with I & E. 

I agree, Kev.  When Bono got inside that screen, my jaw dropped.  I'd never seen nor heard of anyone doing that before.  It was also extremely well directed; they way the camera went into Bono's bedroom with Song for Someone and then came out as that segment ended was so well done.  IE is my favorite tour.  I went alone the first night. I'm glad I did because I had no distractions.  They have always been on the cusp of those things.  They've always done them extremely well.

6 hours ago, rixchix said:

I'm in the minority but i think SOE is not their best effort, not even close.  For sure, it'll be good live...but i just can't pick out a song that I'd want to play over and over.

HTDAAB was the last good album.  

That's the beauty of Zootopia, rixchix...you can be in the minority and still express your opinion and be respected.

I like Coldplay, what's wrong with Coldplay?:Zoo_Guitar:

28 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

That's the beauty of Zootopia, rixchix...you can be in the minority and still express your opinion and be respected.

Amen.

I'm trying to put my finger on the thing that i think is missing and it's really the feeling the songs inspire or dont....and each person is not the same each time they hear U2's music.  

4 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

Nope. I love Coldplay. For me they're just behind U2 as a favorite band. Ive just learned not to talk about them here. ;) 

"and you give yourself away and you give yourself away..." hide_behind_comp.gif.e390f2bc6ba888735b7956e97e855805.gif

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

Hey!   Don't be telling me what to do!  :)   j/k    yuck.  Soylent Green was bad in the 70's.  I remember. 

That cat's head going up and down is hysterical.

I wasn't telling you what to do, I was greatly suggesting it heh.gif.3f83b69ef7e2f9637a0322839e2ad096.gif

53 minutes ago, yardie said:

*cough* Chris Martin *cough*

anyway back on topic ththsidetracked.gif.0a63d8e29f69f82aa42d434bdbad9905.gif I listened to SOE yesterday and cut out GOOYOW & American Soul and the album sat with me better.

I really enjoyed it. those 2 songs, I can't see myself ever liking them. American Soul I love the music, the beat is great but the lyrics... just fed up with the B-man singing about America.

37 minutes ago, rixchix said:

Amen.

I'm trying to put my finger on the thing that i think is missing and it's really the feeling the songs inspire or dont....and each person is not the same each time they hear U2's music.  

Are you going to see them this tour?  Maybe something will click when you hear the new songs live.  Maybe not.  As we know, music is subjective.  The thing I love the most on the new album is how they take the Beatitudes and play on them with the realities of today's world.  Fortunately, I love the new album.  I hope something good comes from it for you too. (pun is not intended but it works?  lol)

What did y'all think of GOOYOW on the Grammy Awards last night?  I thought they sounded great.  I love Adam's bass in that song.  The only thing I don't like about that song is that ha..ah..ha..ah..ha...ah part after the title line in the chorus....that is a minor criticism.  This song seems to be getting a lot of flack but I like it.  Adam's bass comes in and I get going.   I thought they sounded great.  I also like how they made their political statement without stating it.   Loved that backdrop. 

I hate what they did with the Beatitudes and to give Eugene Peterson the credit for it doh.gif.8e7aa226d63d6c4d8048fac4f701a58f.gif

edit: I didn't care for the performance on the Grammy's but then I don't like the song. also, were they playing live? or was the audio pre-recorded? I can't stand the 'aaha ha ahh' part, sounds stupid.

Edited by BigBunny

Grammy awards quote  of Bono : "Blessed are the sh*thole countries, for they gave us the American Dream".

I never listen to the lyrics of the U2 songs, but when Bono goes off into politics I do pay attention.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bettydalton said:

Grammy awards quote  of Bono : "Blessed are the sh*thole countries, for they gave us the American Dream".

I never listen to the lyrics of the U2 songs, but when Bono goes off into politics I do pay attention

iI don't. Always been about the music for me. Hey! That's why we love 'em.

3 hours ago, yardie said:

They started off as a very good band that got far, far overly-hyped around the 'X & Y' era. Since that time, they have had work that is half-pretty good, half-dreck. (IMHO, of course ;)

Mostly, the really annoying thing about them are the legions who insist that they are the greatest thing since the Big Bang - they just aren't. They very often go for cloying ear-candy when they are capable of much more substantive songs - THIS is my major bone to pick with them.

One example: on Mylo Xyloto, there are lots of songs with sing-along choruses that are very easy to tap your toes to on first listen. However, this is can be a mixed blessing: songs that are the first to attract can also be the first to annoy. This is what happened with me - I liked the album initially, but I got very tired of it very quickly. My annoyance was further piqued when they proved that they are capable of breaking out of their mold on the very same album - I love and still love the song "Major Minus". Why don't they write more songs that truly expand their palate? They've proven they can do it, both long ago and more recently. They opt for the accessible over the challenging - and they have done that more often as time goes forward.

Now, I do like some of their later work - earlier, I said I liked "Viva La Vida" and "Ghost Stories" - and I do. I like them because they stretched their wings a bit. I just wish they would stretch them more often.

My $0.02...

I like Coldplay, too. They are nowhere near as deep as U2, not even close, but I enjoy their sound.  Ear candy.  

28 minutes ago, JCF said:

I like Coldplay, too. They are nowhere near as deep as U2, not even close, but I enjoy their sound.  Ear candy.  

Precisely. When I need to get out of my head, so to speak, they're who I turn to...and U2 of course - that's a gimme given I've been a paying member here for quite some time. I think they have a positive infectious energy and fun songs.

LOL at BB :P 

I loved their Grammy performances. I can understand people not enjoying the politics but I like hearing their point of view. I grew up with it. Much of who I am as a person is due in large part to them. I know some don't like it but hey...I do. Preach on Bono et al. Besides, the US is a mess right now. Bono is one of the ones people listen to. He captures your attention, on both sides. 

Side note I really loved them signing in front of the Statue of Liberty and I thought JR's (http://www.jr-art.net/jr) contribution was great also. I'm liking the combo of U2 & JR. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigBunny said:

I wasn't telling you what to do, I was greatly suggesting it heh.gif.3f83b69ef7e2f9637a0322839e2ad096.gif

Very funny, BigBunny.   Thanks.

3 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

I loved their Grammy performances. I can understand people not enjoying the politics but I like hearing their point of view. I grew up with it. Much of who I am as a person is due in large part to them. I know some don't like it but hey...I do. Preach on Bono et al. Besides, the US is a mess right now. Bono is one of the ones people listen to. He captures your attention, on both sides. 

Side note I really loved them signing in front of the Statue of Liberty and I thought JR's (http://www.jr-art.net/jr) contribution was great also. I'm liking the combo of U2 & JR. 

^ the bit in bold. from what I've heard your economy is doing better under Trump? thanks to W & Obama you guys got into... what was it 17 trillion dollar debt? :blink: that's bloody ridiculous. 

@Manohlive just ignore me... I find it's the only way to get rid of me ignore.gif.724202e43e7f4dde6eb154d563702f6d.gif

RabbitHumpsBaloon.gif.ca926e2dbb11abb102b09e2147461061.gif

Edited by BigBunny