Max Tsukino

Update: U2 Manager Guy Oseary Responds To Fans' Concerns Over E+I Tour Pre-sales

If this is not rectified and the system improved in time for the european leg presages next year, oh, boy, i'm gonna be mad and U2's management will have no excuses. I'm one of the few who was verified way beforehand, received and email and then another revoking my rights. Through moderators and Community Managers I received my texts and codes 2 and a half hours after presages for the "experience" group had begun. This never ever happened to me before and I've been using presales since the "Elevation" Tour, when there was still mail order through Propaganda magazine. From then on I've been able to get tickets for every tour through presages, always without a glitch, until now. @bigwave @Max Tsukino @mich40

Great that they're adding shows in the largest markets, but those of us in smaller markets that won't be getting a second show are pretty much screwed. I'm not going to spend the time and money to travel to one of the additional shows when I live three blocks from the arena in Nashville and was shut out of GA tickets during the presale. And yes, I know there are still tickets left for the Nashville show, but I can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars for decent seats.

Ultimately if they won't promise ALL fan club members the opportunity to purchase a pair of preferred tickets then they shouldn't be charging $40 or more for the fan club membership. Especially when they insisted that we renew our memberships early if we wanted to receive presale codes. 

• Like 3

I was in the innocence group and I received an email that I needed to renew AGAIN. I called the customer service line because when I checked my u2.com account, it stated I was all set in the Innocence Group. The person I spoke to stated the email was a mistake and confirmed I was good to go for the second pre-sale day. That morning, no code arrived. I started looking here at all the issues going on. I then learned I wasn’t guaranteed a code just a ticket into the lottery. I didn’t even bother trying to email anybody because I had a feeling nothing would help. That is in direct conflict to Guy’s statement above that everybody gets a code. I’m done. I have been at many shows and a member of the club for many years. This situation has soured me on the band. They have the power to fix this and they aren’t going to do shit. The fact that they are adding dates has not one thing to do with this situation. It’s about money. Simple fact. Well, no more. I’ll listen to the band’s older stuff and live off the memories. Bono can take someone else’s money in the future. Ant BTW, my wife and I were planning on attending MSG on our wedding anniversary. That plan is out the window. We are going to the Foo Fighters in Toronto. The tickets were a lot less and I won’t have to seat in my seats with a sour taste in my mouth. Our band has become what we have always feared...a.money grab.

2 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

Ahead of day 1 of the presale longtime subscribers were sent an email confirming that they were ‘verified’ and this was followed by a text message with the code they needed in order to take part in the presale. It was a smooth process for these people and they got the tickets they wanted.

Guy's letter seems to make the assumption that it was a smooth process for those of us that did get tickets. My eXPERIENCE link and code did come as promised. When I tried to get into the presale, it kept taking me to a link that said the Innocence sale will start on Wednesday. After about 15 minutes of trying, I finally got into the sale. Then I went through several tries at buying tickets. Each time a popup said, sorry we can't process your order at this time, please try again later. I did finally get tickets (and I know I'm fortunate that I did given all the people that didn't get this far), but it took about 40 minutes and I lost the chance for the some of the better seats available.

It also seemed that a larger percentage of the seats in the lower sections were VIP seats than I've seen on past tours. At one point in trying to get tickets, I did try for a couple of the lowest priced VIP tickets, but Ticketmaster thought better of that and said it couldn't process my order.

I've had similar experiences with problems using Ticketmaster in the past and it just seems like they can't ever handle the rush when tickets first go on sale. It's extremely frustrating.

Edited by KayCee03

With respect to all involved, Mr. Oseary says something in his letter which is not true. 

Mr. Oseary states that there has always been a two ticket limit for indoor shows from the fan club, but this is incorrect. 

For the 2001 Elevation tour, members had the option of purchasing four tickets during the first US leg. When the band returned to the US for another leg later in the year, members were given the option to purchase two additional tickets. I purchased a total of six fan club tickets in 2001, for Madison Square Garden on June 17, 2001, the Continental Airlines Arena on June 21, 2001 and the Dunkin' Donuts Center on October 31, 2001. 

For the 2005 Vertigo tour, fans were allowed to purchase up to two tickets for the first US leg, and then were allowed to purchase two additional tickets for the next US leg later in the year. I purchased a total of four fan club tickets in 2005, for the Fleet Center on May 26, 2005 and Madison Square Garden on October 7, 2005. 

The first tour that had a two ticket limit was the I&E tour in 2015.

My point here is not to argue that U2 may have to limit ticket purchase to only 2 in 2017/2018 in order to try to give all fanclub members a chance; that very well may be true. But it's simply not correct to say that there's always been a two ticket limit per indoor tours. 

Respectfully,

Josh

• Like 1

Here's a point that I don't recall seeing in the letter sent to the band/management (and if I'm wrong, bitch slap me now), this corporate greed money grab goes against everything the band has stood for. They've always been advocates of the little people, even when they hit rock god status. They, especially on the last two tours, have been willing to jump out of the fish bowls they live in and reach out and make them selves available to fans.

I've stated a couple of times on here and on a couple of Facebook threads how heartbroken I was that the band sunk to the corporate greed level that they've always been so against

While Guy's response isn't totally satisfactory, I'd like to think that he's trying? 

I am willing to give the boys and him one more chance. And I'm not usually the type to give second chances. 

Please, Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry, please continue to be my rock, my church and the sound track of my life. 

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

1 hour ago, TheLoungeFLy said:

He's right.  Everyone thinks the iNNOCENCE group was the only group that got slighted.  I'm an eXPERIENCE and couldn't get GA tickets.  The next step up was either $100+ obstructed/limited view seats or $300+ tickets.  That's not much of an alternative.  100% of the GA tickets should have been available for eXPERIENCE members and whatever was left goes to everyone else.

Absolutely true

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So what do I have to do now to at least get access to presales of next announced shows? Will I get it automatically now the night before pre-sales starts? Or do I need to re-verify my U2.com account again?

How come fans were locked out of the citi and general sale also as they weren't deemed a verified fan then?, if it wasn't a lottery. I get that there were problems for the pre-sale but it would also mean that there were huge problems in the other sales.

Something doesn't ring true there.

Also the ticket pricing is extreme, no mention of the crazy nosebleed seat prices.

And the small allocation of GA, didn't see him answer that either. :(

Edited by utwothefly

6 minutes ago, khoobo said:

So what do I have to do now to at least get access to presales of next announced shows? Will I get it automatically now the night before pre-sales starts? Or do I need to re-verify my U2.com account again?

Good luck! 

I also want to thank the Mods here and everyone else from atu2.com , u2gigs and all the other fan sites who have worked so much to help their fellow fans out. 

We are a tribe. The friends that I have made from this band are some of the best I've ever had.

WE CARRY EACH OTHER. 

I have a GA for Chicago because of a friend I met in the GA line two tours ago. She bought one for me off of another fan who was willing to let it go and is sending to me and refuses to let me pay her back.

2 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

when someone is flagged in this process as a broker, we will now build in more time for them to be individually reviewed by a real living human being so we can be certain this isn’t flawed information. We want to be absolutely sure the process of verification does not inadvertently eliminate genuine subscribers in the process of eliminating scalpers

the above text is copied from Guy's response not Max (you, Max, are doing a fantastic job supporting us). It would be nice if Guy's team would actually reach out to the 'potential scalper' that's been flagged to verify that we are a genuine subscriber. I mean a simple phone call to the subscriber would solve that problem. Since that's not happening I'd like to know if all the emails I've sent to TM and U2.com are unflagging me. When Guy says above, "we will now build in more time of them to be individually reviewed", I think this is hogwash. Presale for round 2 of shows is next week and there is still massive problems and confusion. That doesn't sound like "building in more time" to me. I'm seriously worried that many of us will be right back in the same boat next week. Its not like many locations ,if any, will be adding a third show. If this isn't fixed completely in the next few days (oh, and its  a long holiday weekend here in the USA) there will be many long term subscribers and supporters left out in the cold with this process. Since the concerts aren't for another 6 months (arenas are already secured whether tickets go on sale next week  or not), would another couple weeks to get all the bugs worked out be a bad thing? I mean, use a little patience to get things right, no? Maybe the accelerated second round ticket sales are driven by the need to increase album sales (a CD comes with every ticket purchase) and they want as many album sales as possible by the December 1 album release date. Perhaps getting the band to chart at #1 right out of the gate is more important than solving the presale code problems. Just speculation....

• Like 1

This whole thing has been a mess from the start. Poorly thought out and poorly executed. And to make it worse the people relied upon to help us make sense of it seem to be as confused as anyone. I'm in Ireland and I kept getting Emails saying I had to register and link my account etc. I asked over and over again do I need to do this even if I am only planning on going to an Irish show, but I got no answers. Only for the helpful people on here I might have ended up with a US tour code I could never use and I wouldn't then be able to get a code for the gig I wanted.

And now I find out GA tickets might not be available to us!!!! Our arenas are tiny compared to those in the US, so to be honest, I can't see me getting to see this tour either. We only got one Joshua Tree concert in Ireland this year. About 70,000 tickets. I logged into ticket master at 7am and was in the Q shortly after but I still could not get a ticket. It was so frustrating. And as soon as the site said they were sold out the Ticketmaster site started promoting tickets on their own Tout site Seatwave, at massive prices. They own that site too. I checked it the day before the general sale (just to see, I'd never buy a ticket off it) and there were pre-sale tickets available! So I get why they introduced this system. But they need to do better.

The Irish U2 gigs are always special. People come from all over the world to see their heroes in their home town. I love being at the concerts and seeing all the different flags from all over the world. Hearing all the different languages. It's amazing. But it puts extra pressure on us to get tickets. Which is fine. As long as everyone is on an level playing pitch to get the tickets I'm fine with not getting a ticket. But since Seatwave has come along I have found it nearly impossible to get a ticket ... for any gig. And I think I know why. This might take a while so bear with me:

In Ireland we really only have one outlet for buying tickets .. Ticketmaster. They're a disaster to deal with at the best of times but since they introduced Seatwave they've become my nemesis. Here's the main reasons:

1. In Ireland there is a cap on how much Ticketmaster can charge for fees. Its about 7 or 8 euro per ticket. But there is no such limit on their Seatwave ticket "Re-sales". They charge a percentage. So the more the ticket goes for, the more commission Ticketmaster make. I saw 2 GA tickets for the Joshua Tree tour go for 860 euro with booking fees on top of that of 156 euro. So Ticketmaster made 140 euro more on those tickets (on fees) than they would have been allowed to make on their own site. But bear in mind that they were the original seller anyway ... so they made 156 + 16 = 172 euro in booking fees from those 2 tickets. It's madness.

2. They used to have a 4 ticket per person limit on gigs. Now it's 8. This is encouraging people to buy the 8 tickets and then sell what they don't need/want on Seatwave and make huge profits. For example, say you wanted GA tickets. You bought 8 of them at say 80 euro each + 8 euro fees. That's 704 euro in total. As seen above, someone made 860 euro from just 2!!!  So say you keep 4 tickets ... sell the other 4 for 1720 euro ... you'd clear a profit of over 1000 euro!!!! I hate touts but even those numbers tempt me. Why wouldn't you buy the full 8 tickets ... What I'm saying is, I think the ticket limit needs to be reduced to 4 per person. That way people are less likely to be tempted to tout and it gives more people a chance to actually get tickets.

3. The silence from bands, including U2, is disgusting. It makes them complicit in my eyes. Ticketmaster is the perfect name for the company because they are clearly the masters here. It's so frustrating. They have too much power. Everything is dictated by them and as far as I can see they do very little for the money. There are so many hoops to jump through to try and contact them and if you're lucky enough to talk to someone, they are of no help. Why don't bands call them out on all this .... I wonder???

And finally 4. Again ... NOBODY LISTENS TO US!!! I tried contacting U2, Ticketmaster .. I even reached out to Dave Fanning ... nobody seems to care about the fans. As long as every ticket gets sold,  who cares right?? The politicians here made a big fuss last year after the Coldplay & U2 gigs caused so much hassle for fans. They promised they would bring in new legislation. They didn't. I wonder how much that cost Ticketmaster???

It was actually a smart ass on twitter who, responding to one of my moans on twitter, sarcastically suggest I join the fan club ... he was the most helpful troll ever. Or at least I thought he was until all this started. Now I'm pretty sure I'm gonna miss out on this tour too .. I know there are far more important things to worry about in life but I love U2. I grew up listening to my brother's vinyls and as soon as I started making money from summer jobs I started buying the CDs. My first concert was the POPMART tour in Dublin... I know everyone here has similar stories but I just want the band and their management to know things have gone wrong out here and I really lay the blame at Ticketmaster's feet and their tout site Seatwave. It's a scam. Simple as that. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years we get a scandal of how Ticketmaster put tickets directly onto Seatwave rather than general sale .. with the money they make, you can see why.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I've wanted to get that off my chest for ages ... thanks for reading if you've made it this far. I hope in future fans will be consulted prior to things like this happening. We're the ones who have to deal with it when it goes wrong.

• Like 1

1.  Thank you for writing the letter on behalf of U2 fans!  Thank you to Guy for responding to the fans in a respectful manner.  

2.  As a U2 fan, I have always been impressed with the band’s generosity and respect for their fans. 

3.  That being said, I signed up for several  concerts, but could not get GA for any of them in The Innocence group and I repeatedly pulled level 300 or obstructed views. Why GA?  At 39, I’m still willing to stand for hours to be close to the music, the band, and like/ minded fans.  There is nothing like that live experience.  I have always bought GA  as a fan club member and I have been shocked by this week. 

I received an email today stating:  

“Dear U2.com Subscriber,

We understand you had difficulty securing tickets in the presales last week for the band’s 2018 shows.

We’re pleased to tell you that Live Nation have announced second shows in many cities on their North American tour.

We will be inviting you to take part in the opening day of presales for these shows next week and we will email you with details nearer the time.”

4.  *. Is this what Guy was referring to when he stating that they were trying to   “reach out” to make things right?  

5.  Do I need to sign- up again, or just wait for my codes to come to me as they are reaching out?  

1 hour ago, ivdf said:

If this is not rectified and the system improved in time for the european leg presages next year, oh, boy, i'm gonna be mad and U2's management will have no excuses. I'm one of the few who was verified way beforehand, received and email and then another revoking my rights. Through moderators and Community Managers I received my texts and codes 2 and a half hours after presages for the "experience" group had begun. This never ever happened to me before and I've been using presales since the "Elevation" Tour, when there was still mail order through Propaganda magazine. From then on I've been able to get tickets for every tour through presages, always without a glitch, until now. @bigwave @Max Tsukino @mich40

I'm genuinely glad that you had your issue resolved relatively quickly compared to others. I still can't understand why some who didn't receive codes before presale have been contacted by TM with personal ticket offers, why some have received emails suggesting they will be placed in first group for presales next week, while others have received no word at all. I'm just baffled and can't figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong, if anything. Besides positing on the boards, calling U2.com, sending emails I don't know what else I can do to get the powers that be to know I AM NOT A BOT, I AM NOT A SCALPER. This is so frustrating....

Good letter from U2 tribe. Pity it went before the verified reseller went live as that would have been an interesting question to Live Nation when they claim they want to get tickets into hands of genuine fans.

if Guy cares as much as he claims (albeit a carefully worded letter that the lawyers will have scrutinised) then set up a secondary ticket site to sell on unwanted tickets at face value rather than take large commissions on inflated ticket prices via his own secondary market. And ensure T&Cs that all tickets resold other than face value will result in tickets being cancelled. Then you can threaten Stubhub with legal action unless they take down U2 sales. Others do it, Live Nation need to decide if they are on the side of the fans or their shareholders.

For what it's worth, I've seen Verified Fan used in a way that helped reduce scalping. When I got VF tickets through Ticketmaster for Ed Sheeran, on the purchase page I had to click a box where I acknowledged I was buying these tickets for my personal use and not for resale, and that they reserved the right to cancel the tickets if they were resold above face value. They also delayed delivering tickets until 3 days before the event to ensure that they had time to verify that the orders were legit and to cancel scalper orders, and also to make it harder for scalpers to list them. 

I was surprised that U2 didn't take these same steps as part of their Verified Fan usage. 

3 hours ago, mike7man said:

Unfortunately, the original fan letter didn't mention (or only briefly and to a minor degree) one key additional issue:  That the u2.com presale allotment (I'm not talking about the ticket limit)--that is, the actual number (and quality, if seats) of presale tickets was markedly smaller than in previous tours.  This went beyond the iNNOCENCE folks basically having no chance at GAs--many eXPERIENCE folks couldn't obtain GAs either.  And the presale seats in general were clearly inferior.

There's a reason for that, and that is we couldn't make that assertion without having the actual data in front of us; something that only Ticketmaster likely has and that they would not share under any circumstances except for legal reasons. Without being able to show that is actually true, we could not include it in the letter. We only presented what we could document.

Thanks to all that contributed to the letter to Guy/U2. And thanks to Guy for at least responding.

I think we would all like more clarity on why so few GA's were available in any of the presales (except Citi presale). Also, as this is an arena tour, why is Citi presale getting 4 tix and not 2 like long time U2 subscribers? 

I've received 4 auto response emails...still waiting for someone to reach out to me. All in all, this whole process is very disappointing and taking a lot of excitement away from an upcoming album release. I don't expect anything meaningful to change for the 2nd show presales. Hope i am wrong

38 minutes ago, liverpool54321 said:

Good letter from U2 tribe. Pity it went before the verified reseller went live as that would have been an interesting question to Live Nation when they claim they want to get tickets into hands of genuine fans.

if Guy cares as much as he claims (albeit a carefully worded letter that the lawyers will have scrutinised) then set up a secondary ticket site to sell on unwanted tickets at face value rather than take large commissions on inflated ticket prices via his own secondary market. And ensure T&Cs that all tickets resold other than face value will result in tickets being cancelled. Then you can threaten Stubhub with legal action unless they take down U2 sales. Others do it, Live Nation need to decide if they are on the side of the fans or their shareholders.

They have decided.........clearly it is the Shareholders.

2 minutes ago, Damian Byrne said:

Thanks to all that contributed to the letter to Guy/U2. And thanks to Guy for at least responding.

I think we would all like more clarity on why so few GA's were available in any of the presales (except Citi presale). Also, as this is an arena tour, why is Citi presale getting 4 tix and not 2 like long time U2 subscribers? 

I've received 4 auto response emails...still waiting for someone to reach out to me. All in all, this whole process is very disappointing and taking a lot of excitement away from an upcoming album release. I don't expect anything meaningful to change for the 2nd show presales. Hope i am wrong

If you read some of the previous post then we can all be certain that the reason Citi and then the TM Verified Open Sale offered 4 tickets is so that TM can make double bubble on the tickets as it gives people the chance to buy more than needed and then sell the extras on for much more money. People in the fan club however would be more likely to use the tickets and actually attend shows meaning we offer much less to TM and it's re-sale scam. Simple really and summed up in the one word.......Greed.

• Like 2

I wish it had been addressed why so many tickets which were $80-100 in 2015 have been reclassified as $175 and $330 tickets, and why the TN fees have skyrocketed (especially for fanclub members - in years past, the band made sure TM charges less on fees for us) but I recognize that the presale was the primary focus of the letter. 

Still, I feel that if the only information that got to Mr. Oseary was that fans are upset solely because of the presale codes, that the band is missing a big part of the picture. 

Wow...how do you explain that there are already tickets, GA tickets nonetheless, for ALL of the added shows on StubHub? Currently there are 45 tickets for Chicago starting at $330.61, 39 tickets for Las Vegas starting at $312.55, 38 tickets for Washington D.C. starting at $355.30, 46 tickets for Philadelphia starting at $331.55, 67 tickets for New York starting at $346.73, 21 tickets for Montreal starting at $294.03, and finally 49 tickets for Boston starting at $341.05. So, 305 GA tickets supposedly "available" before the "presale". It would seem this verified fan nonsense only screws over actual verified fans, even if they aren't "verified" through Sucketmaster. U2.com....shut those Stubhub guys down.