Gogme United

Less gigs this tour?

Recommended Posts

So far I haven't really dig into the presale for the upcoming E&I Tour, as the European dates aren't announced yet. But looking at the Tour dates in the US and Canada I see a huge decrease of available dates. NYC for example just gets two shows (and had eight for the I&E Tour) so my conclusion is that U2 is far less popular right now. It looks like the gigs haven't sold out as well. 

Is that because of the quality of the SOE album? Are tickets too expensive and over prized? Are fans tired of U2 seeing them every year now? Or is the 'fans-only' system too rigid for non-U2 fans and others? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I personally wouldn't say 'Yes' to all of those reasons,  they are all contributing factors for enough people to affect ticket sales and the number of show dates.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gogme United said:

So far I haven't really dig into the presale for the upcoming E&I Tour, as the European dates aren't announced yet. But looking at the Tour dates in the US and Canada I see a huge decrease of available dates. NYC for example just gets two shows (and had eight for the I&E Tour) so my conclusion is that U2 is far less popular right now. It looks like the gigs haven't sold out as well. 

Is that because of the quality of the SOE album? Are tickets too expensive and over prized? Are fans tired of U2 seeing them every year now? Or is the 'fans-only' system too rigid for non-U2 fans and others? 

Gogme...

Yes....there are less dates/shows for the upcoming E &I tour..... in comparison to the past. Times are changing....and sneaks up on the best of us....its inevitable......no matter how great, beautiful, talented, smart and successful we are.....

U2 are aging.....and the fandom is aging along with them.....:o

Most of U2's dedicated/long term fan-base is in their 40' 0r 50's......spring chickens we are NOT.

U2 is very cognitive of this.....for its apparent in their lyrics/music and recent  declared priorities in life......

SOE still reached a number one status(which doesn't necessarily equate to quality or success).....but, they have broken all records in terms of band of their age/status.

They will always be legendary.....the Mozart or Beethoven of this generation(or the past 4 decades).  At this point...U2 will be a template or teachers for up-coming generations.  Are the masters ready to pass the torch to new talent? Are they slowing down because that is the way nature designed it to be?

I don't think it's their will....but, acceptance of what they are capable of handling at this point in their lives. 40 or 50 is not the new 25-30 years old.....the body will say otherwise. Wisdom/humility, however.....is....and I think this is what we are witnessing in themselves and us aging fan base.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think the big factor in this tour is the cost...

Whilst the verified fan system has created a bit of fence to jump over, most people think it a good way of stopping the touts/scalpers, and have got over it.

However then being asked to pay high prices has put them off. Either they can't afford it... or they think the gig isn't worth that money. 

So the multiple attendees from previous years, cut back on their shows..

The uber fan, buys one ticket and not ones for their spouse/partner/kids.

The casual fan, doesn't go at all..

Get the pricing sorted and fill the arenas, with multiple shows.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say cost is a major factor and squeezng in the tour last year probably hasn't helped

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the touring cycle is starting to take its toll on Bono's voice? There weren't many shows on The Joshua Tree tour either, and he kinda sounded like he was struggling on some of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

Maybe the touring cycle is starting to take its toll on Bono's voice? There weren't many shows on The Joshua Tree tour either, and he kinda sounded like he was struggling on some of them.

No, I don't think Bono's voice has anything to do about it. It's better than ever and sounds really good. His health in general can be an issue as he mentioned this in an interview on Dutch TV where he talked about some serious signals that he couldn't go on the way he used to. He mentioned a serious signal, but didn't gave any details. 

But I really don't think the number of shows are that low due to health or voice issues, when demand is high and venues are available it's better to book four or six nights in NYC then to be a moving circus traveling from city to city for just one or two nights. 

Demand is low, so the number of shows per city is low. I think that 'squeezing in' an extra tour, like someone else mentioned, is bad for the eagerness of U2 fans to invest in more expensive tickets. 

In the already mentioned TV-interview the interviewer made some remarks as this album could be U2's last one, Bono and Edge where quite clear to deny this, but if they didn't do so this tour could be their last 'album-based' tour and would sell out immediately... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two albums - Three tours all in just over three year's. Hype factor has now worn off from them being around. To be expected that demand will fall and current tour dates reflect this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely ticket price is a reason, but this is the 3rd tour in quick succession, most casuals would have gone to see JT17 last year and will skip this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2018 at 10:20 AM, richie459 said:

Two albums - Three tours all in just over three year's. Hype factor has now worn off from them being around. To be expected that demand will fall and current tour dates reflect this.

 

All the more reason to skip America and tour other parts of the world that haven’t seen them for 7 years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Simple Answers:

1. Money - they want too much of it. The lack of shows this time around has created a higher demand for less tickets...less tickets equals higher ticket price. I just took my 4 member family to see the Joshua Tree in Toronto for over $500 total and now less than a year later, they are on tour again and the prices are outrageous.

2. The 2 seat max is a problem for families with kids who are also U2 fans. 

3. Asking us to pony up an additional $50 for the fan club just to get into a lottery for a pre-sale code was wrong. Just plain wrong. This band used to care about fans. Not so much anymore.

4. As I get older, I really do not want to hear all of the political stuff. I get what U2 is about. I've heard it and agree with some of it. But after awhile, it just takes over the shows and frankly takes away from the music. As Bono has gotten older, hes become more political and frankly, its a turn off.

5. Us - we allow this to continue. We continue to buy albums, go to shows, buy merchandise. If we start to turn away, perhaps the message will get through to the boys. Get back to what you did that was great. Go back to the 360 tour and remember how great things were...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9-1-2018 at 1:37 PM, fcolombo66 said:

The Simple Answers:

1. Money - they want too much of it. The lack of shows this time around has created a higher demand for less tickets...less tickets equals higher ticket price. I just took my 4 member family to see the Joshua Tree in Toronto for over $500 total and now less than a year later, they are on tour again and the prices are outrageous.

2. The 2 seat max is a problem for families with kids who are also U2 fans. 

3. Asking us to pony up an additional $50 for the fan club just to get into a lottery for a pre-sale code was wrong. Just plain wrong. This band used to care about fans. Not so much anymore.

4. As I get older, I really do not want to hear all of the political stuff. I get what U2 is about. I've heard it and agree with some of it. But after awhile, it just takes over the shows and frankly takes away from the music. As Bono has gotten older, hes become more political and frankly, its a turn off.

5. Us - we allow this to continue. We continue to buy albums, go to shows, buy merchandise. If we start to turn away, perhaps the message will get through to the boys. Get back to what you did that was great. Go back to the 360 tour and remember how great things were...

So basically U2 made a lot of effort to get scalpers out and genuine fans in, but now the genuine fans are a bit over fed by the amount of gigs in the recent years and are still closing the financial gap these tours created. 

I'm really curious for the announcement of the European leg, I've seen a lot of rumors but no official news yet. Maybe they are considering lower ticket prices to get more shows and maybe they decided that the 'only fans' system needs more improvement before tickets go on sale for Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gogme United said:

So basically U2 made a lot of effort to get scalpers out and genuine fans in, 

It did nothing to stop the touts, they still snapped up all of the GA's and cheap lowers, leaving casual fans expensive uppers (which arent selling)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds a if the tickets will be slightly dearer than I+E tour, €45, €90 (GA) and up to €225 for expensive seats. Plus I would imagine the usual crazy VIP stuff. .

It remains to be seen, how many €225 seats verses €90 seats they try to go for...a lot of unsold expensive seats in Belfast last time were either discounted down, or people moved from cheaper seats..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen U2 10 times and last 5 tours including TJTT, but spending $1,200 - $1,400 for 4 of us to go for tickets (not counting hotels, mileage/flights, booz, meals, etc.). is the straw that broke the camels back.  I didn't use my code tickets this time around and I am in the first batch in the first 5 seconds of the sale.

Naz Out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The show in Amsterdam was just announced, looks like ticket prizes are comparable with the I&E Tour, GA is €75, best seating tickets are €195, which was €180 two years ago. So I think U2 management have decided not to follow the ridiculous prize plan that was installed for the first leg of the E&I Tour. 

It's still a lot of money, but I can afford to go to a show, just one...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2018 at 8:12 AM, Gogme United said:

The show in Amsterdam was just announced, looks like ticket prizes are comparable with the I&E Tour, GA is €75, best seating tickets are €195, which was €180 two years ago. So I think U2 management have decided not to follow the ridiculous prize plan that was installed for the first leg of the E&I Tour. 

It's still a lot of money, but I can afford to go to a show, just one...  

I would say the band are not spring chickens any more and need more rest, particularly Bono. More dates will prob be added. Harder to get indoor arenas as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking personally, the 'aging fandom' thing is certainly a factor for me. When I was younger, more energetic and just generally keener, I would strive to go to multiple dates on the same tour in different countries. Now, I'm sorry to say, I just can't be bothered. It's not so much money for me, as investment of time and energy and (pardon me), desire.

If I can get a ticket, I'll go once in London where I live, but I will be absolutely fine with that.

Edited by Bungo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bungo said:

If I can get a ticket, I'll go once in London where I live, but I will be absolutely fine with that.

I've decided to go to just one show in Amsterdam (where I live) this tour. My reasons for that are basically the same as yours plus the fact that every U2 show is quite the same these years. The time that they would change the setlist drastically is long gone, the show is for 90% the same every night, only for a few song to change. Too less surprises for me to buy a ticket for another night just to see about four different songs than the night before.

I used to combine U2 tours with a short holiday break, we've been in Berlin last year and in Portugal, France, Ireland, England and others in the past. But to take my girlfriend, who isn't the biggest and tallest U2 fan, to a show and spend about €200 for a ticket is a bit too much. That 200 can be spent on much better things in a small weekend break... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other thing is, having tried and failed to get pre-sale tickets for 20 minutes now since 10am, I am now giving up, as I have other things to do. I'll try again later but gone are the days when I would spend half a day on the computer desperately trying to get tickets.

Old fart eh! :) 

 

Edited by Bungo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm sure you'll get in. Experience taught me that lot's of tickets are still available after the first (Electrical) storm of pre-sale :-) If not the venue will sell tickets that were not sold to their own stakeholders, members and people who failed to pay for purchased tickets. And if you're still without tix you just have to be patient as tickets always show up because people decided not to go, their relationship broke up, they have a different job, holidays, death and all.

And they there's always the extra tickets that come available days before the gig because the 'production is smaller than thought' and to prevent scalpers to make more money.

Relax, wait and keep on trying once a week, I'm sure you'll make it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gogme United said:

Relax, wait and keep on trying once a week, I'm sure you'll make it.

Cheers! I'm sure you're right. I suppose the difference is in the old days I'd be sitting here, refreshing like mad, sweating, desperately afraid that I'd missed out. These days I'm far more relaxed about it all. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just take a look at the first leg, no single show sold out entirely, of course Europe will do better, but I'm quite sure the we won't see sold out shows, especially when there's more night added. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.