Sign in to follow this  
AMT1979

Any Americans Going/Gone to Dublin Show?

With a big birthday and a big anniversary this year, my husband and I are thinking about treating ourselves with a trip to see the band in Dublin.  We didn’t use my husband’s presale codes, hoping that this would be an option later in the year.  Are there any tips, advice, observation, or other thoughts from other Americans who have seen a show in Dublin?  

I went to Dublin for I&E and it was great! Dublin is a nice compact city good for walking and plenty of cab or bus options. Definitely stay away (do not get a room!) from Temple Bar, overpriced pubs  and too touristy. We stayed on the North side, Castle Hotel, which is really nice too. Lots of shopping and of course great pubs all around. There's all the usual touristy things to do like Guinness factory and the like. Try the 'little Museum Dublin', they have a section that is all U2 related. There is also a rock and roll museum of Ireland, not far from Temple Bar. 

If you want a private fan tour of u2 related sites, check out Dave Griffith's tours, he is a friendly great guide around the city for about $30 or so. 

The 3Arena where the show most likely takes place is smallish, about 12k people fit in there. Its easily accessible by the local rail. 

Most of all HAVE FUN! It is a blast to be where U2 is from!

• Like 3

If you can, definitely get to Dublin for this tour. It was mind-blowing in 2015!! I've been over for Croke Park and RDS on prior tours, but seeing them indoors in their hometown was another level. 

In 2015, I stayed at Jury's Custom House (think it's now owned by Hilton or Hyatt or something?). Great location away from the biggest tourist hordes, and 2 blocks to the LUAS which will take you to the arena. You can also walk, though it's a long walk. Nice if the weather isn't too cold and windy. Also easy walking to O'Connell St, Temple Bar, Grafton St, Merrion Square, and Windmill Lane. If it's still there, I HIGHLY recommend a cafe called Lemon around Dawson St (?) - amazing crepes! And my favorite bookstore in the world, Hodges Figgis is nearby. 

• Like 1

I am going to attempt to get tickets for both Belfast and Dublin. Bucket list for me to see them in Ireland, and I have never been!

Safe travels to all us Americans travelling to see the boys abroad! I hope to see them in Ireland one day. Maybe next tour...whenever and if ever that will happen.

Was in Dublin in 2009 Croke Park, 2015 IE tour and 2017 for JT at Croke. Best trips I have ever had! May not be up for the next as I was just there last summer and the trip is becoming hard to justify! Still finding things unrelated to U2 to do in the city and its surrounding areas as well. Great time!

We might be a little country but there is alot more to it than Dublin. Go beyond the pale and spend some of your hard earned dollars in other parts of the country  ;-)

Edited by dermo
  • Brilliant 1

It was a 'bucket list' thing for me so I wend to see them in Dublin for 360 ended up at all 3 shows. Then went to Belfast and Dublin for I&E . The shows were at 3Arena in Dublin, great venue and I will try and return this tour. Looks like those dates will be in late September so I'd recommend only spending the couple of days in Dublin and turning it into a bigger Ireland trip. I've been 5 times and it's a great place to get outside the city and see the countryside plus September will be nice weather as opposed to the cold rainy November I&E shows..  Now the hard part, getting tickets :) 

Thank you for the recommendations, particularly a bookstore! I'm not going to see U2 in Dublin for this tour - I'm seeing them in NY, then my family is heading to Ireland for a vacation (I'm turning 50 this summer and what I really wanted for my birthday was a family vacation). A few days in Dublin, then off to the West Coast - Galway & the Aran Islands (other suggestions are very welcome!)

I would love to see the boys playing in Dublin, but those little issues called "the school year" and "hockey season" will get in the way.

20 hours ago, bgans said:

Thank you for the recommendations, particularly a bookstore! I'm not going to see U2 in Dublin for this tour - I'm seeing them in NY, then my family is heading to Ireland for a vacation (I'm turning 50 this summer and what I really wanted for my birthday was a family vacation). A few days in Dublin, then off to the West Coast - Galway & the Aran Islands (other suggestions are very welcome!)

I would love to see the boys playing in Dublin, but those little issues called "the school year" and "hockey season" will get in the way.

Get yourself down to the sunny south east.  Wexford is a great town (and county)

• Like 1

The code just ‘works’ , just make sure youre registered with ticketmaster or whoever is handling the sale before the sales start so u dont lose time checking out!

Not American but I will hopefully going to Dublin for the first (and probably only) time. B&B is booked so I just need to get a pair of those lovely GA's in the morning (although tbh I'll be happy with anything).

Is it going to be with ticketmaster?

dumb question - eXPERIENCE Group presale start - Tue. Jan. 30 (10am) **Dublin and Belfast start at 9am

is that 9am Dublin time?

20 minutes ago, rixchix said:

dumb question - eXPERIENCE Group presale start - Tue. Jan. 30 (10am) **Dublin and Belfast start at 9am

is that 9am Dublin time?

Yeah thats ‘Dublin’ time. So if youre on the American east coast, they are 5 hours ahead. So set your alarm for 4am.

I will say this, when I did it for Dublin, I mis calculated on the time by several hours but I still got GA tix. I got lucky. Good luck!

6 minutes ago, Hallospaceboy said:

Yeah thats ‘Dublin’ time. So if youre on the American east coast, they are 5 hours ahead. So set your alarm for 4am.

I will say this, when I did it for Dublin, I mis calculated on the time by several hours but I still got GA tix. I got lucky. Good luck!

Thanks!  Now, just to wait for an airfare sale :)

And now the heat is on.... with ZERO US success can I pull off the trifecta and see the shows in Ireland.. Anyone only buying 1 GA that has an extra please keep me in mind, I will do the same as I am going to try and get 2 in hopes I can trade if I only get 1 show

Saw them at Croke (Vertigo years back and JT last summer).

We are doing Night 3 (Friday) this November. Scored a pair of GAs about 8 hours into the Innocence presale after a very long day of trying... Grateful...

Flights booked. AirBnB booking request is in just today... SO EXCITED!!

I woke up at 12:50 am and bought a ticket at 1 am for Dublin1 for only 200 euro facing the screen.  My first trip to Ireland (finally).  I will spending time in Co Clare and Galway besides the concert.  Let's do this!  ???☘

On 2/1/2018 at 4:37 PM, geowickey said:

Saw them at Croke (Vertigo years back and JT last summer).

We are doing Night 3 (Friday) this November. Scored a pair of GAs about 8 hours into the Innocence presale after a very long day of trying... Grateful...

Flights booked. AirBnB booking request is in just today... SO EXCITED!!

Did you just look up places in Dublin on AirBnB? Thinking about using it if it’ll save me some money compared to the hotels. Flying in from California to the same show!

Any Irish people going to the Dublin shows? ??. Enjoy it folks when it comes around. Take a trip to Dalkey to see the gates of Bono's house. And visit 3fe coffee place. The pubs are too many to mention!

We went in 2015 for I&E at 3Arena....it was awesome. Stayed in Temple Bar last time and we just booked another temple bar hotel...touristy and lots of fun. We'll venture around to some country spots too.

Anyone want to name their B&B or Airbnb...would be nice to be staying close to other fans. I am coming from the states/Hawaii & haven't booked anything yet as I am also going to see them in Boston in June & am in the process of booking that trip. Soo looking forward to Dublin as I have always wanted to go & just jumped on it this time. I have a ticket for the 6th. Hoping to see them another night since I will be there....*fingers crossed*