Sign in to follow this  
dazed and confused

Ticketing Rip Off The Band Need To Act

8 hours ago, Manohlive said:

May I ask what platinum GAs are?  GAs were GAs in America.  There was Red Zone and GAs.  How can there be platinum GAs?  That makes no sense.  Do they get you into the venue before everyone else?  I'm very interested in this.  Any info would be appreciated.

They are basically holding back premium tickets both seats and standing then when they are sold out they put these tickets back on sale label them as "Platinum" and rack up the price by 300% IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL 

15 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Are you in America or Europe?  I can not tell by your profile.  GA is GA by me.  There is no platinum GA.  Am I missing something?  Is it different by you?  The only thing platinum that we have are seats.

There is no platinum GA now but when they first started selling there was in the UK/EIR  ,it really make no differance GA or Seats U2 should not be putting its name to this at best shady practice

The band need a reality check they stand for alot more than most groups   and  put their head above the parapet when it is necessary ,but on this issue of continually rising ticket prices to levels most ordinary fans can't afford and then rubbing their noses in it with Platinum Tickets they are strangely quiet.

I don't want to hear from their manager i want to hear from the band ,they are big enough and ugly enough :D to demand promoters /ticket partners give their fans a fair deal or take it into their own hands and run it themselves ,engage with fans and above all DO THE RIGHT THING    DO THE U2 THING .

4 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Do you think they can continue to innovate with technologically wondrous tours without charging what they are charging?  I do not.  I'm not defending these prices.  I think it may be a case of it is what it is.  It costs $160 to see a Bulls game in Chicago.  It costs $225 to see the Blackhawks and be in good seats.  Chung Yang, (guessing the spelling) costs $140 and that's a generic Chinese travel group.  It's at least $150 to see the opera.  The current touring production of Les Miz is $141.  The internet is full of articles about how insanely expensive it is to go see a Cubs game at Wrigley Field.

There is a thread (maybe this one) which has three links that lead to interesting articles. Some countries are now considering the limitation of how much a person can mark up a ticket for resale.  One country is trying to make it only 10%.  They are good articles if you can find them. I've read arguments that the secondary ticket market is driving up basal ticket prices.  It certainly is not helping.  I'm hoping that they can figure out how to make sure the GAs get into the hands of fanclub members during presales before they become available for others. 

Personally I would be more than happy for them to go without this amazing, all singing , all dancing, super LED, etc, etc screen and just have the band and maybe a less technological screen or two and then drop the prices by at least 30%. I'm there for U2, not technology.

Edited by Mark Bentman
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 1

14 minutes ago, Mark Bentman said:

Personally I would be more than happy for them to go without this amazing, all singing , all dancing, super LED, etc, etc screen and just have the band and maybe a less technological screen or two and then drop the prices by at least 30%. I'm there for U2, not technology.

Have to agree on that they don't need the wow factor anymore i am fookin 52 :D

I was just looking at tix for Chicago SOE shows.  One can buy the silver package tix, 200 level, for $295.  Seats a section away from the stage are $325 in the 200 level.  They are all good seats.  Why would silver package tickets be less than regular seats?   Anyhow, for anyone considering...look at 200 level and buy the silver package ones-you get a better seat and save $30.

Plus with the silver package, you get the VIP gift. I bought it for 2 shows since I actually got better seats than the top price regular seats on offer at the time

On 2/20/2018 at 2:46 AM, Manohlive said:

Do you think they can continue to innovate with technologically wondrous tours without charging what they are charging?

Yes.

This tour will feature the exact same staging that was used on the 2015 tour, using equipment which has already been designed and built, and presumably already paid for.  The ticket prices have surged tremendously since 2015.  It's not just the prices but also the reclassifying of seats to higher price levels in all sections of the area.

To the first part of this, about prices rising, on the 2015 tour, the top price (excluding Red Zone) was $270 a seat.  For the 2018 tour, the top price is $330.  Now, to my mind, inflation has not risen such in that time period to justify a $60 increase in such a short period of time.

To the second part of this, about seats being reclassified, a seat that I sat in for 2015 which was sold then as a $100 ticket is now priced at $175.  We're talking the second to last row of the upper level here, not exactly a premium location.  A seat I sat in that was an $80 ticket last time is now $125.  A lot of seat locations that were being charged at the $100 or $150 level in 2015 have been bumped up to $330 for 2018.

By all accounts, the 2015 tour was massively successful and a huge moneymaker.  On the 2015 tour, there were plenty of seats available for $100 or less that offered a full view of the screen.  As best I can tell for the 2018, all of the tickets priced below the $175 price point now have an obstructed view of the screen - if you want to view the screen, you pay more.  This seems to be a big change in mission.  On previous tours, the idea of the screen and the staging was to make the poor seats seem better than they were, and to provide a good show to people who didn't get front row tickets.  Now, it seems that the screen is being used as justification to raise prices for seats that aren't great to begin with.

In 1997, all tickets for the PopMart show I attended were $50.  This was a massive production that had everything we've come to expect from U2, and was a financially successful tour for the band.  According to several inflation calculators I checked, $50 in 1997 is equivalent to $77 today.  So I don't begrudge the band for having to have raised prices above $50.  But the $330 that they are currently charging for most tickets is far above what inflation would suggest is an appropriate change.

I wouldn't even begrudge them $330 tickets if those tickets offered a good value proposition.  But they don't.  If you were to say, "Let's take the very best tickets, the top 5% or 10% of all tickets, and charge a sky high price for them," I could accept that.  For $330 a ticket, you should get a phenomenal seat.  But they are selling most of the lower and upper levels at that price, so spending $330 a ticket is no guarantee of getting a great or even a good seat.  For that price point, you could still end up in a high row number in the upper level, far away from the main stage.  That doesn't seem right to me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, vertigojds said:

Yes.

This tour will feature the exact same staging that was used on the 2015 tour, using equipment which has already been designed and built, and presumably already paid for.  The ticket prices have surged tremendously since 2015.  It's not just the prices but also the reclassifying of seats to higher price levels in all sections of the area.

To the first part of this, about prices rising, on the 2015 tour, the top price (excluding Red Zone) was $270 a seat.  For the 2018 tour, the top price is $330.  Now, to my mind, inflation has not risen such in that time period to justify a $60 increase in such a short period of time.

To the second part of this, about seats being reclassified, a seat that I sat in for 2015 which was sold then as a $100 ticket is now priced at $175.  We're talking the second to last row of the upper level here, not exactly a premium location.  A seat I sat in that was an $80 ticket last time is now $125.  A lot of seat locations that were being charged at the $100 or $150 level in 2015 have been bumped up to $330 for 2018.

By all accounts, the 2015 tour was massively successful and a huge moneymaker.  On the 2015 tour, there were plenty of seats available for $100 or less that offered a full view of the screen.  As best I can tell for the 2018, all of the tickets priced below the $175 price point now have an obstructed view of the screen - if you want to view the screen, you pay more.  This seems to be a big change in mission.  On previous tours, the idea of the screen and the staging was to make the poor seats seem better than they were, and to provide a good show to people who didn't get front row tickets.  Now, it seems that the screen is being used as justification to raise prices for seats that aren't great to begin with.

In 1997, all tickets for the PopMart show I attended were $50.  This was a massive production that had everything we've come to expect from U2, and was a financially successful tour for the band.  According to several inflation calculators I checked, $50 in 1997 is equivalent to $77 today.  So I don't begrudge the band for having to have raised prices above $50.  But the $330 that they are currently charging for most tickets is far above what inflation would suggest is an appropriate change.

I wouldn't even begrudge them $330 tickets if those tickets offered a good value proposition.  But they don't.  If you were to say, "Let's take the very best tickets, the top 5% or 10% of all tickets, and charge a sky high price for them," I could accept that.  For $330 a ticket, you should get a phenomenal seat.  But they are selling most of the lower and upper levels at that price, so spending $330 a ticket is no guarantee of getting a great or even a good seat.  For that price point, you could still end up in a high row number in the upper level, far away from the main stage.  That doesn't seem right to me.

Great Post... agree totally.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2018 at 6:36 AM, Mark Bentman said:

They did that for the Elevation tour and tickets were still $140.  That's over 15 years ago now.  Those same seats would be over $200 today.  Productions are very expensive.  Tickets to the opera are over $150.  They are a non-profit company.  I share your sentiment.  I don't think a lesser expensive tour is possible any longer.  The world has changed too much. 

13 hours ago, Martinmc said:

$50 in 1997 is equivalent to $77 today. 

That is a $27 difference.  Tickets for SOE are about $25 more than SOI.  Since Hurricanes Harvey and Irma and Maria...insurance rates have skyrocketed.  The insurance rates alone, for a tour, have gone up much more than $25. It's easy to get upset.  $325 is ludicrous for a show. It's the reality of conglomerates owning way too much and wanting even more.  In this instance, it's Live Nation.

If you keep checking-GAs will get released.  They always do but ya gotta check three or four times a day.  I find 2-6 AM to generally be the time they release GAs and seats, but it can be any time.   I'm repeating myself, however; my hope is others will see this and not abandon hope.  I also hope you can find a reasonable seat(s) for your show(s).  FYI-U2Chicago-sections 105 and 107 and 205 and 207 and 300 level were $76.  They are just to the right and left of the screen, right by the secondary stage, if you look at the seating chart.  106 would suck. The ones I mentioned are great.  Maybe they are doing the same in your venue?  I want those seats, and all GAs released, to go to U2.com members.  Pardon me if repetitious.

If you were to say, "Let's take the very best tickets, the top 5% or 10% of all tickets, and charge a sky high price for them," I could accept that.

Sadly, those would be what they now call Platinum Packages.  I've seen seats for regular price one row behind platinum seats.  That's a $500 difference to be one seat closer to the stage. Citibank STILL has whole chunks of sections with tickets available, They are holding the seats for their customers.  These are some of the best seats in the house. The promoter does this. There are a lot of greedy hands in that purse.

But they are selling most of the lower and upper levels at that price, so spending $330 a ticket is no guarantee of getting a great or even a good seat.  For that price point, you could still end up in a high row number in the upper level, far away from the main stage.  That doesn't seem right to me.

It does not seem right to me either.  It is a new policy.  I spoke with someone in ticketing.  They had just gone through the first presale for Justin Timberlake.  Tickets for Mr. Timberlake are $275, and that price goes all the way up to the 300 level as well.  The promoter sets the prices and decides which seats will be sold for whatever price.  The venues try to suggest things.  In the end, the promoter makes the decisions. I sincerely share your anger and frustration.  I was told these prices are the new norm-The only way to change it is to refuse to pay hundreds of dollars to sit in the nosebleeds or wherever one thinks any production is overpriced.  Check out the prices to go see the circus' final run with elephants.  The promoters are playing that one to the hilt.  It's disgusting.

Edited by Manohlive

Interesting you brought up those Justin Timberlake prices. My wife wants me to take her to a Justin Timberlake concert, but took one look at the prices for this upcoming tour and said, "...but not this time around." I agree that some U2 tickets are pretty steep and I sure as heck wouldn't pay them, but my tickets to Paul McCartney that had me on the second seating level in the Amalie Arena in Tampa at the far end of the stage were more than double the price of the U2 GA tickets for TJT30 and this one. It's demand that drives these prices as much as anything, so I don't really have any qualms about them since they're an awful lot cheaper than just about any other big name. My issue with Live Nation was the way that gobs of GA tickets wound up in the hands of scalpers and as resale tickets on TM, which flew in the face of everything U2 was supposedly trying to prevent.

I think Live Nation/Ticketmaster is about as close to scum as organizations get because they have a near monopoly here in the US and deliver awful service just because they can, but I don't blame them too much for prices (I put that on demand/the artists themselves). I do think many concerts are prohibitively expensive, but I just don't go. We've got Jimmy Buffett and Eagles coming to town, but we aren't going. Way too expensive.

Edited by hollywoodswag

The rolling stones are charging a whopping  £435 face value for the ticket in the stage side pits in Cardiff Millennium stadium. 

£250 + fees in the green shaded area.and GA gives you access to somewhere around the half way line.

gone are the days when a cheap GA ticket and a willingness to queue guaranteed you the stageside seats.

Now it simply depends if you are willing to pay crazy money for tickets. 

I’m not bothered about the stones - haven’t produced a good record for 40 years. But I would not pay 400£ plus to see anyone!

Worlds Gone Mad.

63909DDA-9FA7-45CF-B84D-8ED84C7A1AF5.png

• Upvote 1

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 4:25 PM, doctornickriviera said:

The rolling stones are charging a whopping  £435 face value for the ticket in the stage side pits in Cardiff Millennium stadium. 

£250 + fees in the green shaded area.and GA gives you access to somewhere around the half way line.

gone are the days when a cheap GA ticket and a willingness to queue guaranteed you the stageside seats.

Now it simply depends if you are willing to pay crazy money for tickets. 

I’m not bothered about the stones - haven’t produced a good record for 40 years. But I would not pay 400£ plus to see anyone!

Worlds Gone Mad.

63909DDA-9FA7-45CF-B84D-8ED84C7A1AF5.png

It saddens me that the best standing view can only be had if you are rich. So many concerts now are selling "front of stage", "golden circle" etc etc and anyone who can't afford it can't get near the artist they love. We really need to go back to the days of first come, first served. If you're prepared to queue then you should be entitled to be down the front or wherever you want to stand. As soon as U2 goes this way, I won't be paying.

• Upvote 1

We have been enjoying this band for close to forty years now.  No, it's not like the old days.  What is?  I think it's time we stop bitching and start celebrating that we have the third U2 tour since 2015, one of their strongest albums to date and a completely new production using a platform with which they are now familiar.  I think they are going to blow us away this tour.  I think this is going to be one of their best tours ever.  I have been watching tickets and they are slowly selling-this theory that people are not buying seats because they are so expensive is not true.  The shows in Chicago are selling.  They just played Chicago in June.  A new show will not sell as well no matter ticket prices.  I'm not criticizing anyone.  I think there comes a time where we need to start to look at positives.  WE HAVE A THIRD U2 TOUR SINCE 2015.  We somehow got tickets.  We are going to see a brand new production.  Yes, what happened sucks but let's start to look at the positives OR don't go and be done with it.  I'm not trying to be harsh.  At some point the Sun can come up with our names written on it and many will still bitch about the font used for our names.  There's been so much negativity in so many threads.  We've a new tour.  Once the house goes to half and then whole...it's all going to be amazing.

Has anyone noticed the ticket exchange forum this tour?  It's awesome.  

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

A band that have stood for so much over the years are ripping their fans off ,there has not been a single response from any of the management or the band (should i really have expected it ??) . I have been following the band on every tour since War and enough is enough unless ticket prices come down for the next tour then thats me done, Platinum Tickets are a scam rip off and if U2 are still true to their roots then they should bin Ticket Bastard /Live Nation and start treating their fans like human beings not cash cows . THE BAND NEED TO ACT 

On 3/6/2018 at 1:37 PM, Mark Bentman said:

As soon as U2 goes this way, I won't be paying.

I will not either.  That is where I draw the line.  Luckily, they have not done this.  It would surprise me if they did.

On 3/22/2018 at 6:38 AM, Manohlive said:

We have been enjoying this band for close to forty years now.  No, it's not like the old days.  What is? 

I don't know if anything is exactly like the old days - but I've been seeing other artists for the same amount of time as U2, more or less, who have kept their pricing more reasonable.

When I started seeing Dave Matthews Band in 1999, all tickets were $35.  Today, ticket prices for them range from $50-115.  When I started seeing Billy Joel in 1998, all tickets were $37.50.  Today, ticket prices range from $65-125.  When I started seeing Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band in 2000, all tickets were $67.50.  Today, ticket prices are $75-150.  When I started seeing U2 in 1997, all tickets were $49.50.  Today, ticket prices range from $50-330. 

So, you can see just looking at U2 and looking at other arena/stadium acts of a similar pedigree that have toured in the same time periods, everyone's price has gone up.  Everyone's has basically doubled from what was available in the late 1990s.  But of that group, only U2 have a ceiling that now taps out at $330. 

In addition to U2 having a higher ceiling than most acts, U2 are also charging the highest price level for more tickets than other comparable acts do.  For U2, the $330 price level could get you a good lower level near the main stage with a full view of the screen and b-stage... but it could also get you a high row of the upper deck far away from the main stage.  Many tickets which were priced at the $80-100 price levels on the 2015 tour have been reclassified as $175 and $330 seats for this 2018 tour.

And I think one of the biggest issues is how ticketing has become extremely difficult for fans, while it remains easy for members of other privileged groups.  For example, U2.com fan club members are limited to only two tickets for the entire tour.  U2.com members pay $50 a year for this privilege.  Meanwhile, people who have a Citibank credit card may use that card to purchase up to four tickets per show, for as many shows as they would like, and have often gotten a better selection of available inventory.  U2.com fan club members have been told that tickets are so scarce, which is why there needs to be a two ticket per tour limit, but they clearly cannot be that scarce if Citibank card holders may purchase four tickets for each and every show.  It's just that someone involved with LiveNation got a bigger payout from Citibank for this privilege than the U2.com fan club was willing to pay.

On 3/22/2018 at 6:38 AM, Manohlive said:

I have been watching tickets and they are slowly selling-this theory that people are not buying seats because they are so expensive is not true.

With respect, I strongly disagree - there is ample evidence that shows have not been selling as expected.  Pretty much every date in the U.S. (with the exception of two or three shows) was intended to be a multi-night stand, and most of those second shows have not been added due to lack of demand.  They have added new cities that were never intended to be on the itinerary because the demand never materialized for the planned second shows.  Even if you look at a city like New York - they're playing two at Madison Square Garden, going away for one at Newark, and then returning to the Garden for a third show the following week.  That's insanity as far as tour routing goes, and no one would do that if they didn't have to - the expense of unloading at the Garden (the most expensive arena in the world to perform in), loading into Newark, unloading Newark, and then loading back at the Garden is ridiculously high.  It seems obvious that the original plan was to add a second date in Newark.  However, the first show didn't sell out, so there was not demand to add a second show.  But the tour was booked with the idea that they would play X number of dates, so the third Garden show was added to try to make up for this. 

Look back to 2015, where U2 sold out eight shows at the Garden, almost instantly.  This tour, they have three slow selling shows, plus two shows in nearby cities (Newark, NJ and Uniondale, NY) that have not sold out - so five NYC-area shows that aren't selling as expected, vs. eight NYC-area shows that sold out instantly three years ago.  Call me crazy, but I don't think New York lost 50% of its U2 fans in that time.  But many of them were priced out this time.

For every previous U2 tour, the idea behind having a large production and big screens was to make every seat a good seat, and to bring a good show to the cheap seats.  For this current tour, that philosophy has changed.  The screen is now being used to justify price increases across the board.  We see this not only in the escalation of face value pricing from the 2015 tour to 2018, but also in what seats are classified at what price level.  Seats that were $80 and $100 on the 2015 tour are now $175 and $330.  Literally the exact same seats.  For the 2015 tour, there was plenty of seating available at the $100 level or lower that featured a full view of the screen.  For the 2018 tour, if you would like a full view of the screen, those tickets start at $175.  High prices like that are extremely demoralizing to fans.  While it's true that there is a limited selection of tickets available for under $100, if you're a big fan who can't afford to spend $330 a ticket, it can be pretty disheartening to know even before tickets go onsale that you have no chance of getting a good seat.  In the past, a fan could still take comfort in knowing that there'd be an awesome production to watch even if the band was far away.  Now, even if you're in a seat far away from the band, that's no consolation because they've raised the prices substantially on seats that have a poor view of the stage but a full view of the production.

People are understandably upset about this.  There's little doubt that when the concerts actually happen, that they will be good shows, but that's besides the point.  U2's stated philosophy throughout the duration of their touring career has been that they care about their fans and put great effort into ensuring that all fans can have the opportunity to see the band live.  "Live is where we live" is something Bono was fond of saying.  But when an upper level seat is being priced at $330, it doesn't feel like the band is looking after their fans.  When the band claims to be strongly against scalping, yet embraces a ticketing platform that allows for scalping of tickets, it doesn't feel like the band is looking after their fans.  When paid members of the U2.com fan club are told there is such a limited supply of tickets that members can only get two tickets for the entire tour, but people who hold Citibank credit cards can buy four tickets to each and every show of the tour, it doesn't feel like the band is looking after their fans.  And ultimately, all of that would be fine (or at least, feel a lot less hypocritical), if they'd stop claiming that they're looking out for fans.  Just own it.  But don't pat yourself on the back for being fan friendly at the same time you're making it harder than ever for fans to access tickets.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, vertigojds said:

I don't know if anything is exactly like the old days - but I've been seeing other artists for the same amount of time as U2, more or less, who have kept their pricing more reasonable.

When I started seeing Dave Matthews Band in 1999, all tickets were $35.  Today, ticket prices for them range from $50-115.  When I started seeing Billy Joel in 1998, all tickets were $37.50.  Today, ticket prices range from $65-125.  When I started seeing Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band in 2000, all tickets were $67.50.  Today, ticket prices are $75-150.  When I started seeing U2 in 1997, all tickets were $49.50.  Today, ticket prices range from $50-330. 

So, you can see just looking at U2 and looking at other arena/stadium acts of a similar pedigree that have toured in the same time periods, everyone's price has gone up.  Everyone's has basically doubled from what was available in the late 1990s.  But of that group, only U2 have a ceiling that now taps out at $330. 

In addition to U2 having a higher ceiling than most acts, U2 are also charging the highest price level for more tickets than other comparable acts do.  For U2, the $330 price level could get you a good lower level near the main stage with a full view of the screen and b-stage... but it could also get you a high row of the upper deck far away from the main stage.  Many tickets which were priced at the $80-100 price levels on the 2015 tour have been reclassified as $175 and $330 seats for this 2018 tour.

And I think one of the biggest issues is how ticketing has become extremely difficult for fans, while it remains easy for members of other privileged groups.  For example, U2.com fan club members are limited to only two tickets for the entire tour.  U2.com members pay $50 a year for this privilege.  Meanwhile, people who have a Citibank credit card may use that card to purchase up to four tickets per show, for as many shows as they would like, and have often gotten a better selection of available inventory.  U2.com fan club members have been told that tickets are so scarce, which is why there needs to be a two ticket per tour limit, but they clearly cannot be that scarce if Citibank card holders may purchase four tickets for each and every show.  It's just that someone involved with LiveNation got a bigger payout from Citibank for this privilege than the U2.com fan club was willing to pay.

With respect, I strongly disagree - there is ample evidence that shows have not been selling as expected.  Pretty much every date in the U.S. (with the exception of two or three shows) was intended to be a multi-night stand, and most of those second shows have not been added due to lack of demand.  They have added new cities that were never intended to be on the itinerary because the demand never materialized for the planned second shows.  Even if you look at a city like New York - they're playing two at Madison Square Garden, going away for one at Newark, and then returning to the Garden for a third show the following week.  That's insanity as far as tour routing goes, and no one would do that if they didn't have to - the expense of unloading at the Garden (the most expensive arena in the world to perform in), loading into Newark, unloading Newark, and then loading back at the Garden is ridiculously high.  It seems obvious that the original plan was to add a second date in Newark.  However, the first show didn't sell out, so there was not demand to add a second show.  But the tour was booked with the idea that they would play X number of dates, so the third Garden show was added to try to make up for this. 

Look back to 2015, where U2 sold out eight shows at the Garden, almost instantly.  This tour, they have three slow selling shows, plus two shows in nearby cities (Newark, NJ and Uniondale, NY) that have not sold out - so five NYC-area shows that aren't selling as expected, vs. eight NYC-area shows that sold out instantly three years ago.  Call me crazy, but I don't think New York lost 50% of its U2 fans in that time.  But many of them were priced out this time.

For every previous U2 tour, the idea behind having a large production and big screens was to make every seat a good seat, and to bring a good show to the cheap seats.  For this current tour, that philosophy has changed.  The screen is now being used to justify price increases across the board.  We see this not only in the escalation of face value pricing from the 2015 tour to 2018, but also in what seats are classified at what price level.  Seats that were $80 and $100 on the 2015 tour are now $175 and $330.  Literally the exact same seats.  For the 2015 tour, there was plenty of seating available at the $100 level or lower that featured a full view of the screen.  For the 2018 tour, if you would like a full view of the screen, those tickets start at $175.  High prices like that are extremely demoralizing to fans.  While it's true that there is a limited selection of tickets available for under $100, if you're a big fan who can't afford to spend $330 a ticket, it can be pretty disheartening to know even before tickets go onsale that you have no chance of getting a good seat.  In the past, a fan could still take comfort in knowing that there'd be an awesome production to watch even if the band was far away.  Now, even if you're in a seat far away from the band, that's no consolation because they've raised the prices substantially on seats that have a poor view of the stage but a full view of the production.

People are understandably upset about this.  There's little doubt that when the concerts actually happen, that they will be good shows, but that's besides the point.  U2's stated philosophy throughout the duration of their touring career has been that they care about their fans and put great effort into ensuring that all fans can have the opportunity to see the band live.  "Live is where we live" is something Bono was fond of saying.  But when an upper level seat is being priced at $330, it doesn't feel like the band is looking after their fans.  When the band claims to be strongly against scalping, yet embraces a ticketing platform that allows for scalping of tickets, it doesn't feel like the band is looking after their fans.  When paid members of the U2.com fan club are told there is such a limited supply of tickets that members can only get two tickets for the entire tour, but people who hold Citibank credit cards can buy four tickets to each and every show of the tour, it doesn't feel like the band is looking after their fans.  And ultimately, all of that would be fine (or at least, feel a lot less hypocritical), if they'd stop claiming that they're looking out for fans.  Just own it.  But don't pat yourself on the back for being fan friendly at the same time you're making it harder than ever for fans to access tickets.

Great Post mate unfortunately i feel all of this is falling on deaf ears 

• Like 1

completely agree only 2 nights in London this tour. (Only 4 shows in the whole of the mainland uk) suggest demand has been low for the way overpriced platinum seats. Most casual fans aren’t going to pay 2-300 pounds for 2-3 hrs of entertainment.

I’m going twice once in London(used my presale code to take a friend who is a U2 nut and disabled), and fluked 2 GAs for Manchester 2 with album presale.

these tickets were reasonably priced, but the ‘platinum seats’ are silly money and still available.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 3:01 PM, vertigojds said:

I reacted very poorly to being quoted in this post. I took this gentleman's disagreeing with my comments personally.  I wrote something which I have since hidden. I want to apologize to Vertigojds for calling him out on how he quoted me.  I love this site because we can all say what we feel and not be judged. I mistook his feelings as a personal attack. I'm impatient  for the negativity which has invaded U2.com to dissipate. We should have gotten every single GA ticket before anyone and ESPECIALLY before slimeball scalpers.  The current system sucks. The 2017 vinyls got delayed and LN's customer service via U2.com sucked yet again. I regret what I said and how I said it. I wish to apologize to the U2.com community.  I value what I write.  I value, even more, what others write. If anyone else read my reply before I could hide it-I was being a jerk without knowing it.  I needed to defend the band and fumbled at it.  Vertigojds pmd me and apoligzed.  I apologized as well.  We discussed that Zootopians are in different places with trying to heal from being disrespected fans no matter how long we've subscribed or have not subscribed but now do.  I hope all of us can soon feel 100% good about the tour without the sting of LiveNation's business practices.  

• Like 1