bonobabypussycat

What song can you live without ever hearing live again by the band?

Surprised some have named Bullet.

Some have mentioned With or Without You...

This is the song which ignited my love for U2 and is probably my favourite song of all time - by anyone.

However, it has been a long time since the band played it with any oomph!

Watch the version on the Rattle & Hum video/DVD... It has momentum and drive... These days (and probably since the Elevation Tour) it has been slow and lumbersome.

Why they now CHOOSE to play it like this, I don't know.

One doesn't seem to have the same oomph it once had either.

Beautiful Day and Elevation?

I never wanted anything post-Joshua Tree to be played on the tour last year (really thought they should have led into Joshua with 10+ pre-Joshua songs, however I thought both Beautiful Day and especially Elevation - were great performances... certainly the best I had ever seen/heard Elevation.

Of the classics, I could live without I Will Follow.

It must be quite hard to play a song with oomph when you have played and are expected to play it at every gig in the last 30 years. When wowy was fresh AKA at the First Joshua tree tour I imagine it did have power and energy. Several hundred performances later it would be quite hard to muster that same energy and emotion at every performance.. I’m quite pleased they are giving it a rest.

however I hope streets sneaks back in the set list come Europe, because even if U2 plod thru that one , the crowd will take it to a much higher place!

enjoy your summer U2 -Europe is waiting for you!

Interestingly enough, I thought WOWY was one of the highlights of TJT30, and while I do like the song, it's pretty middle-of-the-road on my best-of rankings. As far as it having power and energy, I can see it maybe having the first, but it has never been a song from which I would expect energy. It's a mellow song.

Wow...never thought there would be so many replies - I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks and was stunned to read through...fascinated with the choices people came up with...wonder if the band have seen this and thoughy "oh...interesting!"

Posted (edited)
On 4/13/2018 at 5:50 PM, u2guitarnab852 said:

I truly believe ONE is right up their with the best songs EVER written but it does seem to have lost the luster live since the 90s

I concur.  One may be the best song I've ever heard.  I do wish they would stick it into a future tour without any introduction.. There is so much crap in the world we are all facing right now.  It would be nice to be given it live while providing me with the ability to hear it, feel it and find my own meanings  I need One live so I don't think and I just feel what now brings us all together.

My overwhelming pick to never hear live again would be Pride but it's never had as much meaning as it did when I saw the EI tour in Chicago.  I can't pick it so I choose The Ocean. 

Edited by Manohlive
grammar
  • Like 1

@Manohlive

As part of the U2 Experience on Sirius they would play interview clips prior to songs... as an introduction to ONE Bono said that while that song has come to mean unity it originally was written about

"a father and son who don't see eye to eye."

Taking that into account and listening to ONE now I hear Bono's side of a vicious argument between him and Bob. Accusations are thrown and Iris is brought up and flung in Bob's face....

"Did I disappoint you 
or leave a bad taste in your mouth?
You act like you never had love 
and you want me to go without."

"Have you come here for forgiveness?
Have you come to raise the dead?"

"It's too late tonight 
to drag the past out into the light."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

@Manohlive

As part of the U2 Experience on Sirius they would play interview clips prior to songs... as an introduction to ONE Bono said that while that song has come to mean unity it originally was written about

Taking that into account and listening to ONE now I hear Bono's side of a vicious argument between him and Bob. Accusations are thrown and Iris is brought up and flung in Bob's face....

"Did I disappoint you 

"It's too late tonight 

I did not know that.  Thank you.  

On 6/4/2018 at 1:58 PM, 504jumper said:

I Will Follow, New Year's Day, Pride, WOWY, Bullet, One (unless the perform it like the used to, ex. ZOO TV), Beautiful Day, Cedarwood Road

I want to put Elevation in there, but that song really gets the crowd--and me--going.  Same with Vertigo.

Taking into consideration that their next tour will (probably) be less SOE & SOI heavy, I'd like to see some deeper cuts. I'm sure this is where many of us will diverge. I'd love to see:

Angel of Harlem

Love Rescue Me (my favorite on that album)

So Cruel

Wild Horses

Ouch.  It hurts me that you mentioned Cedarwood Road. That’s a song that I didn’t fully appreciate until I heard it live in 2015.  I love that song live and was thrilled to hear it again this year.  

My own list matches what most others have said:

Beautiful Day

Vertigo

Elevation

WOWY

One

I can’t add Streets to the list.  That is still one of my favorite U2 songs.  Hearing the start of that song live gives me chills.

On 9/19/2018 at 10:45 AM, AMT1979 said:

Ouch.  It hurts me that you mentioned Cedarwood Road. That’s a song that I didn’t fully appreciate until I heard it live in 2015.  I love that song live and was thrilled to hear it again this year.  

My own list matches what most others have said:

Beautiful Day

Vertigo

Elevation

WOWY

One

I can’t add Streets to the list.  That is still one of my favorite U2 songs.  Hearing the start of that song live gives me chills.

Yeah, I liked it more, too, especially with the video enhancement. But, if the question was what to leave out in order to add something else, I wouldn't miss CedarWood Road as much as others. Its a good song and Bono's vocal soars. But I'd love to hear some older cuts.

• Like 1

Pride really needs a rest, as does Beautiful Day and I Will Follow. They have a wonderful and frankly massive back catalogue crammed full of absolute gems. It’s a real shame they don’t rotate the set a little more frequently- I appreciate the level of production they’re using on this tour but certainly the I stage section could easily been flipped to include cuts such as wire, two hearts, daddy’s gonna pay...,the unforgettable fire,  electric co., 11 o’clock tick tick, Ordinary love, please, heartland, staring at the sun, Indian summer sky, surrender, fire etc..

Edited by Paulj101
  • Like 2

On 8/7/2018 at 12:41 PM, CorkVegan said:

@Manohlive

"Did I disappoint you 

"It's too late tonight 

Having read about Bono's relationship with his father post his mother passing, the words have a real clarity and resonance,. However, I do feel the lyric and main narrative to One were deliberately kept open as to translate into a number of situations - I've even heard it been used at weddings...have they not read the lyrics? 

I lost a good friend to suicide earlier this year. He left an eleven page suicide note and the songs he wanted playing at his funeral. The first song played at the service was One. I haven't been able to listen to it since (i'm seeing them on Friday in Manchester, I may be a mess when they play it). Read the lyric within the context of a man leaving his loving and utterly devoted wife, his family, checking out, pushed into a corner, his pride telling him he can't talk about a problem....

" Is it getting better or do you feel the same, will it make it easier on you now you've got someone to blame" " Did I disappoint you or leave a bad taste in your mouth..."

It's absolutely heartbreaking 

• Sad 1

Easy one for me - Beautiful Day. Wish they would give that a rest. By far my least favourite - in fact probably the only song in the catalogue that i could quite happily never hear again. And the reason for this - it was in my humble opinion, massively overplayed in the UK, and was featured on 'match of the day' - a British sports program - used to drive me mad!!! 

On 10/16/2018 at 2:40 PM, Paulj101 said:

Pride really needs a rest, as does Beautiful Day and I Will Follow. They have a wonderful and frankly massive back catalogue crammed full of absolute gems. It’s a real shame they don’t rotate the set a little more frequently- I appreciate the level of production they’re using on this tour but certainly the I stage section could easily been flipped to include cuts such as wire, two hearts, daddy’s gonna pay...,the unforgettable fire,  electric co., 11 o’clock tick tick, Ordinary love, please, heartland, staring at the sun, Indian summer sky, surrender, fire etc..

Interesting. I never heard of anyone request Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car before. But, as I am old now, I think it would be very cool to hear some really deep cuts.

• Upvote 1

Still shocked that recently people are still posting on this thread!  It seems I touched bit of a nerve!!!  Now, we are just one show away from the end of the European leg of Experience and Innocence (and possibly a break for a while) and I have been interested (both as a fan and as someone who attended both Manchester and London shows) to see the evolution of the set list over recent weeks.  It felt like Jo O's 40th was a watershed moment where the setlist didn't get ripped up for one night but actually became the first night of real dramatic changes.  I would be fascinated to see the comments from the likes of those working with the band and what songs they have had to experience repeatedly that they could live with without!

Just as an aside, the camera guy working on the E Stage in Manchester/London (and I suspect most of the European leg) usually to be found filming at the end of the show with the "house/light bulb prop" was dancing and singing along to most songs EVEN WITH a camera strapped to his shoulder! 

Reflecting back now on the tour and the songs I heard and reading the comments back on here on this thread - it does seem like we still got a lot of those songs many of us could happily live without (the likes of Pride, Elevation, Beautiful Day to name but three) and I must admit that I did miss Streets and never in a million years will City of Blinding Lights be a replacement for me.

Like many others, again, I do wish some other songs could get brought into the set - a personal favourite of mine is So Cruel which I miss not hearing.  I always thought Yahweh would become a staple of live shows but (as far as I am aware) only survived one tour live....all the songs from No Line have been dumped (or at least I didn't hear them over four shows in October - I really thought Magnificent was, well...magnificent and would have worked well on the E Stage.

...and so, the end is near, and as we face our final curtain.... I do hope U2 come back on the road sooner rather than later...and the debate will start again (!) and perhaps we might see a refreshed set list with some of our choices from this thread taken into account!

Thanks for sharing on here if you did - don't feel you can't carry on - I just wanted to stop in and add my view all these months later.

9 hours ago, spongebob said:

WTAF ???

Well there had to be at least one of us... :)

• Haha 1