Sign in to follow this  
realgonekid

Not enough SOE played so far!

On 5/11/2018 at 12:52 PM, Zoo Bahnhoff said:

P.S. there is no need for The Showman ever to make an appearance in full. It's naff.

100% with you on that one. If there's two tracks on SOE that stick out like sore thumbs for me it's that and The Best Thing.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:23 PM, ingenpat said:

Would also love to hear Book of your Heart. Great song!!

As long as we're requesting b-sides, "Crystal Ballroom" should have made the actual album for Songs Of Innocence and I'm very disappointed that I didn't hear it in 2015.  They played 8 shows at Madison Square Garden and didn't play it there once, but played it in cities where they had significantly fewer shows.  I think Bono was even overheard saying to a fan that it was actually the most important song on the album.  And yet... didn't really get much of a chance to find an audience.

Some of U2's deep album cuts and b-sides are among their very best work, and there are times that I wish the band would take more of a chance on playing them live.  I don't know when the expectation for concerts changed so that the only songs played would be ones that a majority of the audience would instantly recognize - personally, I'm okay with seeing a band and hearing songs that I didn't know (or didn't know very well) in advance.  Some of my all-time favorite songs from U2 as well as other acts became all-time favorites precisely because the bands introduced them to me in a live setting.

I love "The Little Things That Give You Away" as much as I do probably because they played that song at the end of the JT17 show I saw.  When a band spends 2 1/4 hours playing all hit songs known by everyone in attendance, and then makes a point of playing a brand new, unknown song as the last performance of the night, that sends a signal that I find very hard to ignore - that says, to me, "pay attention closely, something special is happening."  I don't know when the rest of the audience stopped feeling that way and started equating "I don't know this song" with "time to leave" or "bathroom break".

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 3:17 PM, Manohlive said:

They played Red Flag Day last night in San Jose.  Typing that just put the Dionne Warwick song into my head .  Once stuck in my head, tha one that does not go quietly into the night.

I just saw the image of a truck with the Dionne Warwick song.  I had no idea they were doing that when I wrote this.  I must not be the only one who doesn't forget. it.  

Referring to the actual title of this thread, they are playing 8 or 9 songs from SOE each night - that’s a lot!  I get that they might not be the ones everyone wants to hear, but still, when you’re a fan of a band with 40 years’ worth of material, and you can go still see a show and hear 9 or 10 songs you’ve never heard live before (new songs plus Acrobat!!!), I think that’s pretty amazing.  

• Like 1

There are plenty of bands that, when they tour, only play 1-3 - or even no - songs from the latest record. Even Depeche Mode are currently only play *three* songs from the new LP on their tour.