dmway

What concert are you seeing next?

On 4/6/2019 at 10:51 PM, dmway said:

Not quite a guarantee, but complete faith that the show will be a great one. There is a reason why I have seen them 3 times already since the end of last September and am contemplating seeing them a 4th time next Saturday. I've been seeing them semi-regularly since 2002, and every show has been excellent! B) 

On 4/6/2019 at 11:51 PM, CorkVegan said:

That's good enough recommendation for me. I'm glad that I went for it. There seems to be plenty of dining options nearby. Should be a good night out.

I ended up going, and it was excellent yet again! 😎

@CorkVegan , you are not going to regret going. You will be seeing (relatively) the same show that I did. Even though I’m a bit lukewarm on Coldplay, “Fix You” (i.e., the band that went on before UF) was also really good. You’re in for a good night of music!

Posted (edited)

CorkVegan:   How was UF?  

Edited by Manohlive

2 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

CorkVegan:   How was UF?  

I'm going on Saturday night. Looking at the set That @dmway heard last weekend it should be excellent. I also discovered that there is a Jamaican resturaunt right across the street so I'll be dining on Ital pre-show.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2019 at 2:55 AM, dmway said:

My next show (providing I don't see Unforgettable Fire again first) will be Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, a tribute to the pre-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon Pink Floyd led by the PF drummer himself. I can't wait! B)

...and the first of my two Nick Mason shows is tomorrow at the Beacon Theater on the glorious Upper West Side of Manhattan! 😎

I am spending the day in NYC - so, I’ll be able to see the “Play It Loud - The Instruments of Rock and Roll” exhibit at The Metropolitan Museum of Art beforehand. (I’ll get pictures, of course - esp. if there are any contributions by U2.) I wonder if Nick and his band might pop in themselves. Not impossible, I guess.

Show report later.

Going to see The Church this weekend. They are performing the entire Starfish album, which happens to be one of my top 10 desert island albums. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mich40 said:

Going to see The Church this weekend. They are performing the entire Starfish album, which happens to be one of my top 10 desert island albums. 

Nice.  I remember the first time I heard Under The Milky Way.   It's a definitive 1980's musical memory.   Dance the night away, Mich.

Going to see The Church on Easter Weekend?  😀

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, dmway said:

...and the first of my two Nick Mason shows is tomorrow at the Beacon Theater on the glorious Upper West Side of Manhattan! 😎

I am spending the day in NYC - so, I’ll be able to see the “Play It Loud - The Instruments of Rock and Roll” exhibit at The Metropolitan Museum of Art beforehand. (I’ll get pictures, of course - esp. if there are any contributions by U2.) I wonder if Nick and his band might pop in themselves. Not impossible, I guess.

Show report later.

Very crowded at the exhibit even on a Thursday afternoon! 

The displays center on the 50s, 60s, and 70s, but at least one iconic 80s guitar is present (no, it’s not The Edge’s).

More (much) later...

808FDFBC-6C98-48FB-AA31-C175267389FE.jpeg

Edited by dmway

Hello from The Beacon Theater! Here is the trippy backdrop for tonight’s show! 😎

7DCF116F-2AB1-4006-BDC5-128DAC481B26.jpeg

• Like 1

Hope you are having fun, dmway.    

The Head and the Heart are coming to Madson, WI., on Sept 15.  It works perfectly for all their other shows I'm going to see in September.  Madison is a great city for GA because people are very chill.  At least four of their shows now in September.  I'm anxiously waiting for Snow Patrol-under three weeks and counting.  The only time I've seen them was when they opened for U2 360.  .  

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2019 at 6:55 PM, dmway said:

Hello from The Beacon Theater! Here is the trippy backdrop for tonight’s show! 😎

7DCF116F-2AB1-4006-BDC5-128DAC481B26.jpeg

Last night's show became more memorable here:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-waters-joins-nick-mason/

I'll update more on the day later (I'm still recovering) - tomorrow is show #2 for me in Philly! I wonder if anything special is happening tonight - the second show at The Beacon Theater is tonight. 

On 4/16/2019 at 7:15 AM, CorkVegan said:

I'm going on Saturday night. Looking at the set That @dmway heard last weekend it should be excellent. I also discovered that there is a Jamaican resturaunt right across the street so I'll be dining on Ital pre-show.

Enjoy your show! I know you will! 😎

Pt. 2 of my pair of Nick Mason shows tonight. This venue just opened up late last year. Beautiful chandelier in the middle of the ceiling!

(P.S. Have fun at The Church show tonight, @mich40 )

1F75D1C8-DC20-4367-854C-CCECE7C9E4AB.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Sitting here with a belly full of Jamaican food. The preshow music is Jane's Addiction, Pavement and "Dig for Fire," by the Pixies right now. Let's do this!

Edited by CorkVegan
Spelling.

The Church playing Starfish in its entirety. Brings back so many memories. It was fabulous. Then they did a second set of other songs. 0BA6A0EC-27F6-4167-9205-B60B632073FD.jpeg

• Like 2

Unforgettable Fire were great. Their Bono could pass as the real one. He has the look and mannerisms down to perfection. They played a great set and the place was rocking.

Fix You played first and are a Coldplay tribute. I'm not up to date with Coldplay but I recognized about 80% of the FY set. Their lead singer has amazing energy and was constantly moving throughout the performance.

A fantastic night out. I would go again in a heartbeat. Now bed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CorkVegan said:

Unforgettable Fire were great. Their Bono could pass as the real one. He has the look and mannerisms down to perfection. They played a great set and the place was rocking.

Fix You played first and are a Coldplay tribute. I'm not up to date with Coldplay but I recognized about 80% of the FY set. Their lead singer has amazing energy and was constantly moving throughout the performance.

A fantastic night out. I would go again in a heartbeat. Now bed.

I'm glad you liked it! I knew you wouldn't be disappointed. If I didn't have another show tonight (which I just came back from), I seriously would have considered going. I love Montclair, NJ and would like a reason to go back sometime.

Fix You were very good too - they also opened at the show I saw last week. Yes, the singer had Chris Martin's quasi-hyperactivity down very well (and he sang well too).

UF are always worth the effort to see. The band members are starting to recognize me at the shows because I'm at them so often. :D (I guess wearing The Fly shades helps too... ;) 

• Like 1

Dawes announced two nights at Codfish Hollow in August.  I can't sleep waiting for the presale later this morning.  $30. and minimal service fees.  Dawes also announced a July date in Bloomington, IL.  Again, it's $30 or so.  I should see lots of my Dawes fans friends at these shows-especially Codfish.  They allow free camping on the grounds.  I think a friend and I are going to do that for two nights if we can figure out a way to get in a shower for a second night's show.  It's so far in the middle of nowhere that nobody can get a cell signal at the venue.  I love it. No electricity camping-just a fire pit and no charge.  The bonus is we are on the first hayride down into the venue because we camped out overnight.  😀 

Tomorrow, it is a different Genesis tribute band from the one I saw last month. The one I saw last month (The Musical Box) usually concentrates on the era of the band when Peter Gabriel was the lead singer (i.e., the albums which were recorded from 1969 to 1974). They expanded out to include their songs through 1977 on the show I just saw.

The Genesis Show (the band I'm seeing tomorrow) usually concentrates on the 4-man era where Phil Collins is the lead singer (1976-1977); however, on their upcoming tour, they are branching out and playing an Abacab tour setlist (1981) for the very first time. This was the album where they became much more popular (singles like the title track, "Man On The Corner", "No Reply At All", and "Keep It Dark" were released from this album). It should be a great show - they do an amazing job with the 4-man era of the band, and I'm sure they will be equally diligent with this 3-man era album (4-man and 3-man are only references to their studio albums - live, they were always a 5-piece).

If you would like to check them out, here is their website:

http://www.thegenesisshow.com

Johnny Marr has cancelled the first three dates of his North American tour due to visa problems. The opening night is now in Montclair, NJ the 1st of May where I'll be seeing him.

1 hour ago, CorkVegan said:

Johnny Marr has cancelled the first three dates of his North American tour due to visa problems. The opening night is now in Montclair, NJ the 1st of May where I'll be seeing him.

That has to be the best silver lining from a dark cloud ever! 😄

Have fun!

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2019 at 10:59 PM, dmway said:

Tomorrow, it is a different Genesis tribute band from the one I saw last month. The one I saw last month (The Musical Box) usually concentrates on the era of the band when Peter Gabriel was the lead singer (i.e., the albums which were recorded from 1969 to 1974). They expanded out to include their songs through 1977 on the show I just saw.

The Genesis Show (the band I'm seeing tomorrow) usually concentrates on the 4-man era where Phil Collins is the lead singer (1976-1977); however, on their upcoming tour, they are branching out and playing an Abacab tour setlist (1981) for the very first time. This was the album where they became much more popular (singles like the title track, "Man On The Corner", "No Reply At All", and "Keep It Dark" were released from this album). It should be a great show - they do an amazing job with the 4-man era of the band, and I'm sure they will be equally diligent with this 3-man era album (4-man and 3-man are only references to their studio albums - live, they were always a 5-piece).

If you would like to check them out, here is their website:

http://www.thegenesisshow.com

...and the show tonight (technically, last night) was OUTSTANDING!

More later...

52 minutes ago, dmway said:

playing an Abacab tour setlist (1981) for the very first time. This was the album where they became much more popular (singles like the title track, "Man On The Corner", "No Reply At All", and "Keep It Dark"

turn it on turn it on again

On 4/28/2019 at 3:00 AM, Manohlive said:

turn it on turn it on again

They played it, and many, many other great songs. I can't wait to see them again in June!

BUT NOW...my next show is...The Who in Madison Square Garden, two weeks from yesterday. They have intimated in recent interviews that this may very well be it for them as far as touring is concerned (they are releasing a new album before the end of the year too). I sense that they are telling the truth. Thus, I am not missing them; they are one of the truly great bands ever. U2 are big fans of them as well, and deservedly so. This year could see the end of both The Who and The Rolling Stones (I'm also glad that The Who have been so candid about their imminent retirement; the Stones have been much less so, but I don't think anyone is fooled about their likely retirement too (Mick's recent health difficulties just punctuate the likelihood)).

That's why I'm catching all the shows I can. The bands I like the most aren't going to continue to tour forever, and some will come to their ends in the near future. Long live rock...

It seemed so long from now when I bought tickets for Snow Patrol and suddenly it's less than a week until the show in Madison.  My Summer into Fall concerts are probably all going to be Head and the Heart of Dawes.  HnH booked a gig in Madison and it's $37.50 for GA.  That includes a copy of the new cd when it is released.  Dawes keeps adding shows and I'm driving many hours to see them for at least five shows.  I think they'll add a Wisconsin show too.  EI ends and my other two favorites crank up touring.  Timely comfort!   

8 hours ago, dmway said:

The Who and The Rolling Stones

I like both band very much.  They charge way too much for tickets.  I'm glad you can go.  Even if I could afford it-I don't think they are worth as much as they charge.  That's getting off topic.  I used a bunch of Global Citizen points to enter a drawing to see The Who in Chicago.  It would be a dream come true to see them live.  I wish I had gone for the Who Are You tour.  Tickets were very affordable.  Dumb but hindsight.  Perhaps The Who will be a next concert for me too.  I hope it is amazing for you, dmway.  

2 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I like both band very much.  They charge way too much for tickets.  I'm glad you can go.  Even if I could afford it-I don't think they are worth as much as they charge.  That's getting off topic.  I used a bunch of Global Citizen points to enter a drawing to see The Who in Chicago.  It would be a dream come true to see them live.  I wish I had gone for the Who Are You tour.  Tickets were very affordable.  Dumb but hindsight.  Perhaps The Who will be a next concert for me too.  I hope it is amazing for you, dmway.  

I’m looking forward to The Who very much - the Quadrophenia anniversary tour of 6 or 7 years ago was absolutely phenomenal. They only charge too much for their floor seats; the ticket I got was pretty much going rate for headliners. (I agree that the Stones charge too much for virtually every seat. I guess they still need to save up to pay for their great-grandkids’ university educations 🙄)

It will be a great show 😎