lukylsp

U2 Apollo Theater - meet up / live thread

Recommended Posts

Listening to the East Coast feed right now and want to say again that this version of When Love Comes To Town blows me the hell away. So good. I really hope we get a DVD release of this show (either as a fan club/subscriber gift or for sale). It's just so good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 3:48 PM, pvdjunior said:

Shit... i had no idea. I woulda gotten my big head out of the way and asked my wife to do the same.   Sigh

I think you guys are my favorite couple now. THAT’s how you do date night!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep trying to post this where it says "submit your reviews here" but it never works.  So I'm just gonna put this here.  You've all probably seen the show on youtube by now.  I think I'm finally recovered from Monday night's high.  Looking forward to the MSG shows!  

________________________________________________________________

I’m on the train back to Jersey after the Apollo show. Speechless. Drained. Happy and sweaty.  Did that all really just happen?  I was too busy jumping up and down to take pictures so here’s a vivid description.

So many ecstatic people packed in. The Apollo is even smaller than I thought. Stage is right there. Mic and drums await. They put The Stump on stage briefly. (Google it.) Suddenly Larry’s just there, like you’re out seeing your friend’s band. No announcement. No elaborate plan. The band takes the stage and grab their instruments like it’s 1980 and they’re not the biggest tock band in the world. Then they light up I Will Follow and of course they are. Then holy shit - Electric Co. people are bouncing off the walls. I forgot to mention they took the seats out of the orchestra section of the Apollo (have they ever done that?) so it’s regular GA and the floor is bouncing more than my decrepit off-campus house on college, during a kegger, blasting Fishbone. You seriously had to time your pogo with everyone else or some weird, reverse bounce force would mess with your trajectory. And it’s so hot. 

The band tears into Out Of Control as if it’s commentary. Bono is throwing water on everybody which is good because it’s even hotter.   Edge looks like he’s trying to stop his guitar from flying away like a quidditch broom.

Okay, I’m thinking, they’re reviving us up for the start, now it’s gonna plateau. Nope. Red Flag Day!  OMG. Today we can’t afford to be afraid of what we fear. Like the floor collapsing. At some point in all this Bono announced its a punk rock show. Yeah. We noticed. Beforehand I was on the lookout for risers (which would mean a choir) or a piano (which might mean October or something) But after All Because of You leads to Vertigo which leads to Elevation it’s clear the boys are just aiming to burn this place down, floorboards be damned.

Beautiful Day gives a bit of a breather. (Yeah, I know that’s not a downtempo song but that’s how up everything’s been.) Bono is trying to crawl off a floor monitor into the crowd. There’s not the usual DMZ separating the stage. There’s a lot of hand grabbing going on.  Bono ends it with an almost tantric breathing exercise.  Is Edge gonna have to put him back in is body later?

The Edge is emitting some particularly Unforgettable Fire-like sounds while Bono is searching for more water, because did I mention it’s hot like Hotlanta in here?  Then it’s Pride, with a spoken tribute to MLK here on Martin Luther King Blvd.  is this where he name checks black poets who’ve graced this stage?  James Brown. Aretha Franklin. Billie Holiday. Is this where he calls out Harry Belefonte in the audience?  Not sure, but it all happened.  I’ve never thought of this as a rowdy song, but with all the fist raising and HEY! chants I feel like someone might add Ole ole ole.

Get Out of Your Own Way bounces through.  There’s a bit of a bobble in the hand off to American Soul, but nothing that can’t be fixed with a megaphone. Bono’s back to trying to nearly stand on people. Who steadies him when he jumps back on the monitor?  Is he gonna fall?  He’s got his feet back under him and you and I are rock n roll.   Don’t shoot!

“Thanks! Goodnight!”  What?  It’s been so ridiculously hot and unrelentingly intense you could almost forgive them, but is it really over? 

Nope.  Crowd’s chanting.  House lights stay down.  After a quick break the boys are back.  They gotta play Angel of Harlem, right?  Bono can’t recall exactly when they played it here last for Rattle and Hum but  the guy next to me does (“88!”)  Edge starts strumming the intro and I suddenly feel like I’m shrinking. Am I gonna faint?  No - it’s just the scrim behind the stage rising up like a curtain. (The one that says “Nothing to stop this being the best day ever”  Ya think?)   Are they going to project something?  No, there are feet.  And horns.  There’s a wall of horns.  And not just any horns…it’s the Sun Ra Arkestra horn section!  What????? (I didn’t know Sex Mob but I’m gonna check em out.)  The inevitable and expected song has become the surprise of the evening.   Hats off.  Amazing.  Desire sounds like it’s been reformulated in a baritone sax blender.  Funky stings. Steaming solos.  Bo Diddley beat.  The fever gets higher.  Love Comes to Town rolls through like a slow train.  But after,  the locomotive grinds to a steaming halt and Bono’s serious.  It’s been a terrible and unsettling string of days leading up to this party, especially in New York.  Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain were both New Yorkers who seemed to have everything, and yet there was the date of death swiftly entered already on their Wikipedia pages.  I thought it was going to be One Tree Hill but of course Stuck in a Moment is the perfect song to play.  And Goodnight.

It really seemed over this time.  Hopefully stomping, gradually encouraged by a lack of house lights and some scurrying techs.  Then just Bono and Edge are back out.  Hadn’t noticed the piano, and we get the beautiful stripped down Every Breaking Wave.  Good thing it’s not Amateur Night because Bono forgets the words.  Guy behind me is laughing way too loud about it and I tell him to shush it. Bono laughs at himself and they start over.  I  imagine he’s thinking of all the legends who’ve belted it out right there before him - Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye.  It’s his turn in the spotlight centerstage.  He regroups and nails it.

Full band is back and as if we couldn’t get any luckier it’s Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.  And we know it’s really the end with the tour closer Love is Bigger, and it’s just one big sing a-longing, arms a-swaying love fest.  When the instruments drop out and it’s just the audience singing, the band members look out at that jewel box of a theater with faces you can clearly read  - remember this.  Everyone files out to find cars or trains or the complimentary buses back home.  Man, I wish I got to ride on the open top deck of the double-decker, down 5th Ave, along the whole length of Central Park.  We passed the Met all lit up and it was magical.

But here’s the real magic trick of the night - have you noticed? They didn’t play Sunday Bloody Sunday and nobody has even mentioned it.  Didn’t even occur to me until the next day.  Didn’t miss it.  What a crazy, beautiful, full-tilt show.  And yes, it all really happened.  Thank you U2!  Thank you Sirius XM!

(note:  Finished this up the next day. Also, sorry if it’s Bono centric, but he was my main sightline.)

Here's some Ra for Ya!

 

 

 

happy face.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DeirdreBell said:

I keep trying to post this where it says "submit your reviews here" but it never works.  So I'm just gonna put this here.  You've all probably seen the show on youtube by now.  I think I'm finally recovered from Monday night's high.  Looking forward to the MSG shows!  

________________________________________________________________

I’m on the train back to Jersey after the Apollo show. Speechless. Drained. Happy and sweaty.  Did that all really just happen?  I was too busy jumping up and down to take pictures so here’s a vivid description.

So many ecstatic people packed in. The Apollo is even smaller than I thought. Stage is right there. Mic and drums await. They put The Stump on stage briefly. (Google it.) Suddenly Larry’s just there, like you’re out seeing your friend’s band. No announcement. No elaborate plan. The band takes the stage and grab their instruments like it’s 1980 and they’re not the biggest tock band in the world. Then they light up I Will Follow and of course they are. Then holy shit - Electric Co. people are bouncing off the walls. I forgot to mention they took the seats out of the orchestra section of the Apollo (have they ever done that?) so it’s regular GA and the floor is bouncing more than my decrepit off-campus house on college, during a kegger, blasting Fishbone. You seriously had to time your pogo with everyone else or some weird, reverse bounce force would mess with your trajectory. And it’s so hot. 

The band tears into Out Of Control as if it’s commentary. Bono is throwing water on everybody which is good because it’s even hotter.   Edge looks like he’s trying to stop his guitar from flying away like a quidditch broom.

Okay, I’m thinking, they’re reviving us up for the start, now it’s gonna plateau. Nope. Red Flag Day!  OMG. Today we can’t afford to be afraid of what we fear. Like the floor collapsing. At some point in all this Bono announced its a punk rock show. Yeah. We noticed. Beforehand I was on the lookout for risers (which would mean a choir) or a piano (which might mean October or something) But after All Because of You leads to Vertigo which leads to Elevation it’s clear the boys are just aiming to burn this place down, floorboards be damned.

Beautiful Day gives a bit of a breather. (Yeah, I know that’s not a downtempo song but that’s how up everything’s been.) Bono is trying to crawl off a floor monitor into the crowd. There’s not the usual DMZ separating the stage. There’s a lot of hand grabbing going on.  Bono ends it with an almost tantric breathing exercise.  Is Edge gonna have to put him back in is body later?

The Edge is emitting some particularly Unforgettable Fire-like sounds while Bono is searching for more water, because did I mention it’s hot like Hotlanta in here?  Then it’s Pride, with a spoken tribute to MLK here on Martin Luther King Blvd.  is this where he name checks black poets who’ve graced this stage?  James Brown. Aretha Franklin. Billie Holiday. Is this where he calls out Harry Belefonte in the audience?  Not sure, but it all happened.  I’ve never thought of this as a rowdy song, but with all the fist raising and HEY! chants I feel like someone might add Ole ole ole.

Get Out of Your Own Way bounces through.  There’s a bit of a bobble in the hand off to American Soul, but nothing that can’t be fixed with a megaphone. Bono’s back to trying to nearly stand on people. Who steadies him when he jumps back on the monitor?  Is he gonna fall?  He’s got his feet back under him and you and I are rock n roll.   Don’t shoot!

“Thanks! Goodnight!”  What?  It’s been so ridiculously hot and unrelentingly intense you could almost forgive them, but is it really over? 

Nope.  Crowd’s chanting.  House lights stay down.  After a quick break the boys are back.  They gotta play Angel of Harlem, right?  Bono can’t recall exactly when they played it here last for Rattle and Hum but  the guy next to me does (“88!”)  Edge starts strumming the intro and I suddenly feel like I’m shrinking. Am I gonna faint?  No - it’s just the scrim behind the stage rising up like a curtain. (The one that says “Nothing to stop this being the best day ever”  Ya think?)   Are they going to project something?  No, there are feet.  And horns.  There’s a wall of horns.  And not just any horns…it’s the Sun Ra Arkestra horn section!  What????? (I didn’t know Sex Mob but I’m gonna check em out.)  The inevitable and expected song has become the surprise of the evening.   Hats off.  Amazing.  Desire sounds like it’s been reformulated in a baritone sax blender.  Funky stings. Steaming solos.  Bo Diddley beat.  The fever gets higher.  Love Comes to Town rolls through like a slow train.  But after,  the locomotive grinds to a steaming halt and Bono’s serious.  It’s been a terrible and unsettling string of days leading up to this party, especially in New York.  Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain were both New Yorkers who seemed to have everything, and yet there was the date of death swiftly entered already on their Wikipedia pages.  I thought it was going to be One Tree Hill but of course Stuck in a Moment is the perfect song to play.  And Goodnight.

It really seemed over this time.  Hopefully stomping, gradually encouraged by a lack of house lights and some scurrying techs.  Then just Bono and Edge are back out.  Hadn’t noticed the piano, and we get the beautiful stripped down Every Breaking Wave.  Good thing it’s not Amateur Night because Bono forgets the words.  Guy behind me is laughing way too loud about it and I tell him to shush it. Bono laughs at himself and they start over.  I  imagine he’s thinking of all the legends who’ve belted it out right there before him - Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye.  It’s his turn in the spotlight centerstage.  He regroups and nails it.

Full band is back and as if we couldn’t get any luckier it’s Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.  And we know it’s really the end with the tour closer Love is Bigger, and it’s just one big sing a-longing, arms a-swaying love fest.  When the instruments drop out and it’s just the audience singing, the band members look out at that jewel box of a theater with faces you can clearly read  - remember this.  Everyone files out to find cars or trains or the complimentary buses back home.  Man, I wish I got to ride on the open top deck of the double-decker, down 5th Ave, along the whole length of Central Park.  We passed the Met all lit up and it was magical.

But here’s the real magic trick of the night - have you noticed? They didn’t play Sunday Bloody Sunday and nobody has even mentioned it.  Didn’t even occur to me until the next day.  Didn’t miss it.  What a crazy, beautiful, full-tilt show.  And yes, it all really happened.  Thank you U2!  Thank you Sirius XM!

(note:  Finished this up the next day. Also, sorry if it’s Bono centric, but he was my main sightline.)

Here's some Ra for Ya!

 

 

 

happy face.JPG

It's over there....  https://www.u2.com/tour/date/id/45561543#comments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DeirdreBell said:

Full band is back and as if we couldn’t get any luckier it’s Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. 

I just went from envious to jealous; but it's U2.  Wow.  That gave me goosebumps, DeirdreBell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also forgot, in the madness of the actual show itself, how AMAZING the Apollo version of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses was - the re-broadcast yesterday reminded me of how much I loved it. It's so joyous - I can't think of another way to put it. The drums were more at the front and it doesn't sound as dark as the album version. I hope they incorporate this version into the live shows (I need to go back and listen to Tulsa - I was in the house that night but can't remember if it sounded more album version or Apollo version).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, lukylsp said:

I also forgot, in the madness of the actual show itself, how AMAZING the Apollo version of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses was - the re-broadcast yesterday reminded me of how much I loved it. It's so joyous - I can't think of another way to put it. The drums were more at the front and it doesn't sound as dark as the album version. I hope they incorporate this version into the live shows (I need to go back and listen to Tulsa - I was in the house that night but can't remember if it sounded more album version or Apollo version).

It was AMAZING!!!! I screamed, I cried, I danced.  I was SO HAPPY to hear it live again. Last time I heard it live was March 1992.

  • Brilliant 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mich40 said:

It was AMAZING!!!! I screamed, I cried, I danced.  I was SO HAPPY to hear it live again. Last time I heard it live was March 1992.

It really was. I love that they re-arranged some songs + added non-tour songs to this show. They really put so much thought into this show and we all felt it.

Edited by lukylsp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I held off as long as I could in opening this thread. It has not disappointed and I knew it wouldn't. But it did stir those combined feelings of jealous angst while being really happy for those who made it and living vicariously through 'you'.

Fantastic reports, reviews. Here comes my bitter, jealous refrain....you guys are very special ! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, economicformula said:

I held off as long as I could in opening this thread. It has not disappointed and I knew it wouldn't. But it did stir those combined feelings of jealous angst while being really happy for those who made it and living vicariously through 'you'.

Fantastic reports, reviews. Here comes my bitter, jealous refrain....you guys are very special ! ;)

Yes, I've held off commenting too: not out of jealousy/envy - I'm legitimately happy for those here (and for those who are devoted U2 fans who aren't here - not all long-time U2 fans are necessarily subscribers here) who were able to go, and I felt if I was meant to have one, one would come my way; if it didn't, no biggie - I had two shows two and three days later (and more after that).

However, the way the tickets for the show were allotted, while perfectly proper considering who was sponsoring the event, seems to have really affected the general morale here in a negative way. Part of this is simply from people not winning the random draw, part from the paucity of tickets allotted to U2.com subscribers (50 out of 1500 is just a hair over 3%) - however, there is a metaphorical "elephant in the room" that hasn't really been discussed, but it has been felt both by those who weren't at the show and I'm sure by those who were at the show as well - why wasn't this show, or another show like this, available just for fanclub members?

This kind of fanclub show used to be offered. They do occasionally still happen, but they do seem to happen less regularly now. As I said earlier in the thread, I was fortunate enough to win a fanclub-sponsored show at the Apollo Theater through thepolice.com when they were having their reunion tour 10 years ago. All the tickets were won by fanclub members. As a result, I was able to see a great show (and interview with the band done by Elvis Costello) and meet those who posted regularly on the site (I posted often there, and the other winners were those who were regulars on the website - it was very nice to be able to place names with the faces with those I interacted with regularly on the site; it built a nice site camaraderie that extended to people meeting continuing to meet after the tour ended. Subscribers from abroad weren't excluded - I even met one of the people I posted commonly with on the site who was from Milan). So, I think it's this that is really causing the angst here - i.e., why wasn't a show like this done exclusively through the fanclub?

Perhaps one will still happen. I hope so. Now, of course, there would still be those who wouldn't get a ticket who might desire to have one, but the odds would be quite a bit better. As I said already, though, those who were on the old Police site most regularly - even those who primarily just read, not just those who posted most often - were there. I can't think of a single person that I met who wasn't on that site on a regular basis, i.e., I recognized everyone who was there, even if only at a distance and not from direct personal interaction.

Well, again, I hope some kind of show like this will still happen somewhere before the tour ends.

 

Edited by dmway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.