18. Pride (In the Name of Love)
  19. Get Out Of Own Way
  20. American Soul
  21. City of Blinding Lights

iNTERMISSION: #womenoftheworldtakeover

22. One / Invisible (snippet)
  23. Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way
  24. 13 (There is a Light)

Sources: mixlr.com/beautifulday36/ | mixlr.com/sil-rigote--2/ | mixlr.com/mrsmullenjr/ | mixlr.com/no_end_2_love/ | mixlr.com/u2uvbr/ | Several Periscope Streams | http://u2gigs.com

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dmway said:

The first bit made me think, "Welcome to New York..." :lol:

But, yes, most/all of the behavior you just described is just wrong. I'm with you - I don't know why anyone would continue to go to shows (esp. in GA) if they felt like that. That must have been disappointing.

I hope you are seeing Sunday's show (despite the predictions of incredibly hot temperatures...)

You are not going to believe this, but when I got to my seats tonight - the person next to me was the disappointed woman who complained all through Monday's show in the GA area.  I don't think she recognized me, but I mean, what are the chances??? :)

• Haha 2

I would love to visit here more often but wow does it just look a mess to me. Not friendly to this user, so take care 🤗everybody I will add to my brain and eye vitamins and see you later. U2Forever✌❤

4 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

theories?

Self-evident proof that they are the one band that matters beyond all others - that's not my theory; that's FACT.

2 hours ago, vertigojds said:

You are not going to believe this, but when I got to my seats tonight - the person next to me was the disappointed woman who complained all through Monday's show in the GA area.  I don't think she recognized me, but I mean, what are the chances??? :)

That's just cruel. I PROMISE FRIDAY AND SUNDAY WILL BE BETTER - KEEP THE FAITH!

As Bono would say, "Don't let the bastards grind you down."

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Brief review:

I got home a little over 90 minutes ago - one of the two best "impulse-buys" I have ever had that involved a concert (I went to a Stevie Wonder concert in Philadelphia about 9-10 years ago at the last moment that also turned out to be a really great idea - yes, U2 deserves to be mentioned with Mr. Wonder).

Gloria - enough said.

Spoken version of "Landlady" during his "phone call home" - so convincing that I thought what turned into the customary YTBTAM would be the debut of "Landlady" - keep your ears open, Europe...;)

Too tired right now - having a sip of Connemara in the band's honor before bed. More after I have rested. I rank planning 3 U2 shows in 6 days among my best ideas ever. :u2-1383:

(P.S. Is 4 shows in 8 days possible? Yes.

Is it realistically within the realm of possibility? Hmmm...'Magic 8 Ball' says "Reply is hazy - ask again later." ;) )

Edited by dmway
blind optimism

7 hours ago, jdfly said:

I would love to visit here more often but wow does it just look a mess to me. Not friendly to this user, so take care 🤗everybody I will add to my brain and eye vitamins and see you later. U2Forever✌❤

glad yo have you here jdfly. whats the messy bits we might be able to tidy up?

12 hours ago, dmway said:

That's just cruel. I PROMISE FRIDAY AND SUNDAY WILL BE BETTER - KEEP THE FAITH!

As Bono would say, "Don't let the bastards grind you down."

I decided not to go on Friday, but I will be there on Sunday!

So far, I saw then at Nassau Coliseum, the second Boston show, and the two MSG shows.  I was not at all impressed at Nassau Coliseum - the acoustics in the building where I was sitting were just terrible and I couldn't hear anything clearly, which may have led to my reaction, so it could have been the band was better than they seemed.  I really enjoyed the Boston show but felt a couple of the transitions between songs/themes seemed a little clunky.  And the first show at MSG was technically good but I had some people around me that made it harder to enjoy.

But last night, MSG 2, it seemed like a much better show.  I don't know if it was just a matter of where I was sitting or just the stars lining up right, but the performance seemed much more energetic and heartfelt, and I totally got into it in a way I didn't get into any of the others.  So I figured that perhaps it was best to not overdo too much of a good thing and stick with just MSG 3 as my last show and to let go of Newark.  Some changes to my work schedule also made it so that one was going to be a little bit of a hassle to get there, so I think that was honestly more of a factor in me not going than the GA scene at MSG 1.  I honestly feel a little relieved to have found a buyer for that ticket from this forum, so I know it'll be in the hands of a fellow fan who will love it.  At the point where going to a potential show ends up inducing more stress than excitement, it's probably not a good idea to go!  But this just makes me more excited for MSG 3 on Sunday!

I am really hoping for Red Flag Day on Sunday, fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Just curious for anyone who was at both MSG shows and/or the Nassau Coliseum show... was it just me, or was MSG 2 the best of the bunch so far?

2 hours ago, vertigojds said:

I decided not to go on Friday, but I will be there on Sunday!

So far, I saw then at Nassau Coliseum, the second Boston show, and the two MSG shows.  I was not at all impressed at Nassau Coliseum - the acoustics in the building where I was sitting were just terrible and I couldn't hear anything clearly, which may have led to my reaction, so it could have been the band was better than they seemed.  I really enjoyed the Boston show but felt a couple of the transitions between songs/themes seemed a little clunky.  And the first show at MSG was technically good but I had some people around me that made it harder to enjoy.

But last night, MSG 2, it seemed like a much better show.  I don't know if it was just a matter of where I was sitting or just the stars lining up right, but the performance seemed much more energetic and heartfelt, and I totally got into it in a way I didn't get into any of the others.  So I figured that perhaps it was best to not overdo too much of a good thing and stick with just MSG 3 as my last show and to let go of Newark.  Some changes to my work schedule also made it so that one was going to be a little bit of a hassle to get there, so I think that was honestly more of a factor in me not going than the GA scene at MSG 1.  I honestly feel a little relieved to have found a buyer for that ticket from this forum, so I know it'll be in the hands of a fellow fan who will love it.  At the point where going to a potential show ends up inducing more stress than excitement, it's probably not a good idea to go!  But this just makes me more excited for MSG 3 on Sunday!

I am really hoping for Red Flag Day on Sunday, fingers crossed!

You gotta do what you gotta do. Your reasoning is sound.

I know for a fact that the crowd will be great in NJ - that was the main basis for my recommendation. They are always lovingly enthusiastic there.

Last night's show was really, really good - the shows I saw before last night were the two shows in Philadelphia. MSG 2 was better than Philly 2, and equally as good as Philly 1, in my humble estimation. The crowd last night was just phenomenal - VERY into it from the beginning and for the rest of the night! Lots of very happy people communing with the band for the entirety of the show. The amount of enthusiastic singing and sincerely joyful dancing in the seats and the aisles was absolutely infectious. Just the kind of crowd you would want if you were a performer and for fellow fans. There was a a guy across the aisle from me who was there from Ireland and he was very often filming the crowd! I see why he did so: in addition to the band, they were fun to watch too!

Yes, I'm with you on the thinking that we'll get a different song after "I Will Follow" at MSG 3 - something like "Red Flag Day" would be a great choice. Let's hope it happens!

(Proper review is coming, I promise. I'm still really drained from the show - drained in the good way; see above for proof.)

• Like 1

In my entire U2 going life, I have never before sold a ticket to a show that I planned on going to.  I may have sold an extra ticket where I wound up with more than I needed, but I never took a show off the calendar before.  It was a really tough decision for me at first just because it goes against my own instinct.  But I also bought the Newark ticket before there was an MSG 3, and before I had decided to see Boston 2.  And I bought that Newark ticket when it looked like that could have been the last U.S. show on the tour.  All of that has changed.  Definitely no complaints on my part about them adding to the tour a little bit - it looked like I'd only see two or three shows at first, and now even after selling Newark, I'll be seeing five in total, so I did pretty OK here!

It is a great venue.  I was only there once, to see Bruce Springsteen in 2012, but he gave a phenomenal show, the crowd was great, and I was front and center on the GA floor - a truly perfect concert-going experience that I'll never forget.  That's why I was open to traveling to Newark in the first place.  And I'd consider going back there in the future.

Just for my own amusement, I looked up some of the stats I had written down during the 8 show run at MSG in 2015.  Over the course of those eight nights in 2015, U2 played a total of 41 unique full length songs (not counting snippets or partial performances).  They played 19 of the exact same songs each night, which left about 5-6 changes per night.  Looking over my notes, it looked like they rotated a minimum of four songs per night, with the highest number of changes from one night to the other being as high as six.  They had more spontaneous moments on that show, including special guest appearances by Lady Gaga, Jimmy Fallon, The Roots, Paul Simon and Bruce Springsteen.  They played a b-side from Songs Of Innocence, and resurrected two songs they hadn't played in decades (October and Two Hearts Beat As One) for special performances.  They also played songs outside of the show's "script" - by which I mean, they'd occasionally break the rigid structure of the tour and do another song if they felt inspired to even if it wasn't the "right spot" in the show to do a different song.  For E&I at MSG in 2018, by contrast, they play a total of 24 songs each night, with only one changing.  And to be clear, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that.  It's hard to complain about song selection during a show that prominently features "Acrobat" - if they walked onstage, opened with Acrobat, and then called it a night, I'd probably still feel like I got my money's worth!  But I guess what I'm trying to say is, I was able to (slightly) conquer my fear of missing out this time!

I am so excited for the show on Sunday.  Having a little breather before now and then will only increase the anticipation.  I think next time they tour, instead of seeing every single show they do in my area, I might try to space that out and take a couple mini vacations to other cities and spread it out.  Especially if, going forward, U2 are going to be more of a band that doesn't change their setlist at all, there's less incentive to see a ton of shows in a short time period when it might be more fun to see more over a longer period of time.  I remember, for instance, how much fun it was in 2011 and 2017 when I had three consecutive weeks where I'd see one show a week in a different city - I felt a little like I was "on tour" too and the lack of variety didn't seem to matter as much.

19 hours ago, vertigojds said:

Wow.   I hope she was tolerable?  That somehow seems poetic. It would be my answer about possibly not using that GA and selling it, however; that is just me.  Did you have a great show???

• Like 1

I suppose this is as good a place as any to mention it, but I absolutely love the acoustic version of "You're The Best Thing About Me" - I'm loving all of the live performances of SOE songs, even the ones that I didn't like as much on the record, but this one took the biggest leap for me.  I loved the idea of the song but I didn't like the version on the album, which to me sounded a little lifeless and generic.  But this acoustic version is sweet, tender and beautiful - it's romantic and soulful, and I love the atmosphere of them performing it with the lights dimmed.  The transition from Acrobat to Best Thing also works incredibly well to me.  That was the one that I was skeptical of just reading the setlist on paper, but when you're actually there, it makes sense.  And The Edge really shines as Bono's secret weapon - Edge's verse just sounds incredible.  I could listen to this version every day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I wanted the electric version of You're The Best Thing.  I let it spoil seeing it live in Chicago.  I listened and kinda sorta liked it when I saw the show.  I was still carrying a bit of a chip on my shoulder about it being acoustic.  I loved it the last two nights as I listened in the live threads.  I'm glad you found peace after the first night's experience, vertigojds.  Wish I could see a pic of your facial expression when you first realized it was her.  Again.   LOL.  

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Wow.   I hope she was tolerable?  That somehow seems poetic. It would be my answer about possibly not using that GA and selling it, however; that is just me.  Did you have a great show???

You know what?  I did have a great show.  I wasn't sure what to expect, I was feeling a little "blah" about going, but the band really seemed to take it up a notch, and there was more energy in the behind the stage/side stage spot that I had on night 2 than there was on the floor spot I had on night 1.

As for this person, she was... better, but not great.  Before the show began, she used the zoom lens on her camera to zoom into Larry's setlist by his drumset and them screamed over and over that Gloria was on the set, which was kinda disappointing because I would have preferred to have been surprised.  She unfortunately took up half of my seat.  She had friends a couple rows behind her and kept turning around to scream comments to them about the show, but at least they were positive.  I got elbowed a lot, got my foot stepped on a bunch of times, and she kept trying to annex even more of my space.  So it wasn't the greatest neighbor experience ever.  But at least she wasn't complaining all through the show.  There's no doubt that she's a fan, but I wish she had been a little more self-aware.  I'm sure I've been guilty of being a bad neighbor before, but I really try to put an effort in.  Like, for my GA show on Monday, I was one person behind someone on the rail and I was determined to not try to worm my way into a rail spot, and tried to keep the people behind me from pushing me forward, so that I didn't end up accidentally pushing the people in front of me.  It's the little stuff like that that I think can go a long way to making the collective experience a lot better for everyone.

1 minute ago, Manohlive said:

I wanted the electric version of You're The Best Thing.  I let it spoil seeing it live in Chicago.  I listened and kinda sorta liked it when I saw the show.  I was still was carrying a bit of a chip on my shoulder about it being acoustic.  I loved it the last two nights as I listened in the live threads.  I'm glad you found peace after the first night's experience, vertigojds.  Wish I could see a pic of your facial expression when you first realized it was her.  Again.   LOL.  

I wish I could see that too!  I think I just laughed, because really, what else can you do?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I think I just laughed, because really, what else can you do?

To quote my other favorite lyricist:  Ya just roll with the punches.  Oh yeah!

Edited by Manohlive

OK - here are some images (the ones that the site will let me load, that is) from my seat near the e-stage last night. (Tragically, I will have to post one at a time).

The first is Bono at the beginning of the show singing "Love Is All We Have Left".

IMG_0461.JPG

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" if my memory serves correctly...

IMG_0465.JPG

"Elevation" (Influx remix) to transition to the e-stage from the main stage...

IMG_0468.JPG

"Vertigo" - the picture of the stage isn't brilliant; I kept this one because I like how clear the crowd is in it.

IMG_0471.JPG