Sign in to follow this  
U2_starr

Red Zone

I bought red Zone tickets for London O2 arena on 24th October, for two reasons. Firstly some of the proceeds go to the Red charity. A very worthy cause if it is helping to beat AIDS. The second reason is that I am seriously ill and my days are numbered. I decided I had to go and see U2 for probably my very last time. So I decided to try and get Red Zone tickets & very happily did. I was beyond excited, counting down the days to Oct 24th. The joy soon turned into huge disappointment at that show. There were too many people for that small area. We were constantly hassled by the security people trying to keep the space to the side of it clear which is completely right for safety sake. However, it meant you couldn’t move, packed in like sardines. I didn’t see a thing all night. It was too far along width wise to see the main stage, you couldn’t see much of the run way with the barricage to the other stage which you couldn’t see that either.

My point is that Red Zone is supposed to be a special experience which is what I wanted. A special night to remember seeing U2 for the last time in my life. I didn’t get the special night I thought I was going to get. I have spent the last two days crying. Called customer services saying what I have just said, there was no compassion, empathy or warmth. Only what do you want me to do about it & speak to the O2. I am bitterly disappointed with the Red Zone experience I had and even more disappointed by what I’ve just experienced on the phone. Just saying sorry would have been appreciated. I will take that to the grave now & I also will not be taking any happy memories of my last U2 gig either.

I would love to hear what others thought of it has Red Zone been better in the past or also has it been a disappointment to others? 

• Sad 2

Oh my god, so sorry to hear this, puts my RZ moans to shame! I'm so sorry to hear your so unwell!  It must really hurt to think your getting this last occasion that's going to be special and then you are let down.

My hassles were getting thrown out before we even got in! , but once we were in, we were near the front and side rail and got a decent view of the main stage, sounds like you were further back, and with security issues etc your experience was ruined , which is a terrible shame. We were able to throw money at our problem and use a bit of cunning to partly solve our issue but I feel so sorry for you, it must be such a disappointment!

I really feel for you cause you pay good money, partly knowing it's going to charity but you also expect that feeling of maybe being treated that little bit special and it must be a kick in the teeth to feel so let down. 

We have done RZ for the I&E and JT tours and kind of knew where to stand etc but also knew we would miss most of the action on the B stage unless we were willing to move about, that was going to be the plan but we didn't in the end, we were worried we would lose our prime place near the rail. The RZ isn't really in that great a place to be honest, but it still felt roomy in my concert (Manchester1) (the JT tour had it in a better position)Think going by the way we were treated this time though I wont be bothering again.

All i can say is I really hope you get another chance to see U2 and you get all that you want and deserve the next time .

Hi Spongebob, 

Thank you for taking the time to reply & your kind words. As I said I was so excited as I had never had RZ tix before. As I said I wanted a special night this time for 3 reasons. I have been chronically sick for 19 years with various conditions. Now I have cancer too. Having been a fan since War. I turned down my chance of going to see the unforgettable fire tour & Live aid. That is the single most stupid thing I’ve ever done. However, I then went to all the tours ending in 2001 going to Slane castle. I was just getting over major surgery but it was fine. We all sat on blow up sofas, drinking etc & had a great craic! We also saw Coldplay, Red hot chilli peppers there. Then last year the JT30 gig, my brother took me to Croke Park. I went in a wheelchair & we were supposed to be by the mini JT stage but were put right back behind the barrier by this tent thing. If you look at the JT Croke pix you can see me. Zoom in and I have blonde hair & a Red T on. I didn’t get to see U2 not even ant size & only half the screen. The platform was only a few inches higher & people standing in front us blocked out everything. We weren’t told about the changed place. Most of us left about half way through, a little boy was crying. If I had known before I wouldn’t have made the hard journey there. Again fobbed off by you too com, saying contact venue etc. No sorry or anything again.  After that I said I would have Red Zone the next time. I can walk stand, it’s just causes an increase in pain. But I get through gigs because of an adrenaline rush. So because I had not seen U2 since Slane, missing 360 especially gutting, what happened at Croke, then my prognosis, I thought I’ve got to get RZ next time. You know the story then. I didn’t know you could move to GA areas & thought there was a hospitality area that you could wander in and out of. I’ve feel absolutely gutted & im trying to find tickets for Dublin preferably or Berlin. Flights are cheap. When I can figure out how to do it, I’m going to put up a plea for GA tix for any of the 4 Dublin gigs. I like going on a camp out as you get chatting & having a laugh with other fans. I really like that & adds to the enjoyment of a gig. I did that 2 days before Xmas seeing another band. Got front row & was best Xmas party ever. Then stayed at the Clarence, which had nothing about U2 there at all, which I thought a bit odd. So SBob, I’m Aitch by the way if you have any tips, hints, know of any Dublin tix going I would really appreciate your help. I’m also rather curious at why you were chucked out before going to Red Zone. I don’t think I’m alone at the RZ this time. I just wish I had read about it before Weds. You live n learn I suppose. I have learnt that the f c don’t treat fans very well. I think that’s really bad as others ones really look after you. I wonder if the band know??? Bono always make the point of saying thanks to us for giving them an amazing life. I would say to them thanks for the amazing music. I couldn’t say to the f c tho, thanks for an amazing night I had & will die happy now but I can’t. I shouldn’t be having to go to another gig to die happy. As I have said, if you can give me any tips etc so I do have an amazing night if I can find tickets I would really appreciate it. Have a great evening. Aitch ?

Hi Aitch

Reading that makes me sad, you don't seem to have had much luck recently with U2 concerts, If i had been through all the disappointments you have had I would have gave up by now, but you are obviously wanting that great show with your favourite band experience one more time so more power to you! I'm not that sure how you could go about getting tickets, we were able to get two tickets from a tout at the venue in Manchester for only £100, not the best way to go about things but we were desperate by then and so was the tout, cause they were worth £100+ each face value!

You could try signing up on here, not signed up myself but this looks like a good way to get a ticket without getting ripped off! Failing that sometimes nearer the date of gigs there are ticket drops? You would have to keep your ear to the ground, and it would all be a bit of a last minute, not ideal when you have flights etc to book. Would you be looking for seating or maybe GA and try for a rail spot somewhere?

We got thrown out before we even got into the Manchester gig, I describe  our experience in this thread, a combination of bad luck that you couldn't make up! Our actual experience when we got into the RZ was okay i suppose, still got a decent view near the front. But the hassle we had , the lack of understanding from anyone official involved and the extra cost  sticks in my throat, next time it's going to be GA for me, get there early find a rail to lean on with some views.

All the best in your search for a ticket you deserve a bit of good luck! Keep us informed , and fingers crossed you get that brilliant gig experience one more time. 

Edited by spongebob

On 10/26/2018 at 5:25 PM, U2_starr said:

I decided I had to go and see U2 for probably my very last time.

I'm very sorry for what is happening to you.  I have faced health challenges but none as serious as what you wrote.  The reason I bring this up is that I've a lot of experience with crowds and not being well for concerts.  TM and LN will not show empathy unless you bitch and piss and moan and bitch some more. Even then,  I'd put better odds on winning the lottery.  It's not right, but is as it is.  Have you tried calling the box office of the venue, in this case the O2?  I know it's what TM, or whomever, told you to do.  I've learned to bypass them and call the box office.  People who work in box offices are, more often than not, very kind.  I once argued with TM and LN for eight hours because I had a bad experience at a show.  They did nothing.  I called the venue and was offered free seats to any future show of my choosing; whenever I wanted.  We were put right up front for the show I chose.  I only bring in my own story to give example of how kind individuals at venues can be; especially when they know a person is struggling.  One thing I've learned-it is wise to call the box office on a day there is neither a show nor a show going on sale.  (If possible)  

Have you considered calling the O2 box office?  If you are nice-I'd be very surprised if they did not somehow try to make this better.  I live in America but people are people.  I've had many kindnesses shown to me when I was in Europe and not feeling well.  Maybe they will do something really cool for you.  You are dealing with a person and not a behemoth corporation when you call the box office.  You are in my thoughts and perpetual prayer intentions.  

Trying going on WhatsApp to the number that was given on your redzone details. I'm sure if you explain to Jennifer what happened she will reply. Just a shame you didn't use the number on the night as I'm sure she would have done something, she's a really nice and helpful person that runs the RZ.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good morning, 

Sorry not to have replied sooner to you. I’m am going to get in touch with Jennifer today. I’ve got her WhatsApp number. 

I really have appreciated you taking the time to try and help me. I will let you know how I get on. 

Thank you again Aitch 

1 hour ago, U2_starr said:

Good morning, 

Sorry not to have replied sooner to you. I’m am going to get in touch with Jennifer today. I’ve got her WhatsApp number. 

I really have appreciated you taking the time to try and help me. I will let you know how I get on. 

Thank you again Aitch 

Can you please let us know how it turns out for you?   I'm hoping and praying you can somehow still see the show.  Please let us know.

I’m hoping I do too, though I don’t think realistically I will.

I called the f c & the lady I spoke to said to me, “what do you want me to do about it”! I was shocked & stunned that they didn’t care about the fans. 

If only they had been as nice and lovely like you. I will get in touch when I get some news. 

Many thanks, I’ve really appreciated your support. Aitch