Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dmway

Happy Anniversary, ZooTV Sydney shows!

Today and tomorrow (26/27 November) are the 25th anniversary of the ZooTV shows performed in Sydney, AUS!  🇦🇺 

These are notable for at least two reasons: the first show was the only U2 show where Adam didn’t perform with the band due to, let’s say diplomatically, his “weakened” condition; the second, of course, ended up being filmed and released as the official ZooTV video/DVD.

Any favorite memory of the shows if you were there and/or saw the original TV broadcast of the show and/or just watched the eventually released video/DVD?

The Sydney video is one of the first things I bought while investigating U2 in the late '90s, and it very much made me the fan that I am. Best tour ever! ❤️ Everything about that show is perfect beyond description, which is incredible considering the pressure they were under. For a while I used to watch it every night before bed. (Well... part of it. You can probably guess which part, haha.)

27 minutes ago, Canadanne said:

The Sydney video is one of the first things I bought while investigating U2 in the late '90s, and it very much made me the fan that I am. Best tour ever! ❤️ Everything about that show is perfect beyond description, which is incredible considering the pressure they were under. For a while I used to watch it every night before bed. (Well... part of it. You can probably guess which part, haha.)

I remember seeing the video in a record store I frequented when I was still living in Texas in the mid-90s, and the picture on the box just made it stand out from everything else. It was such a revelation to watch it because my ZooTV live experience was when the tour was still an arena tour (which was both a plus and a minus). Seeing the stadium version was mind-blowing, even on VHS tape! I watched that show so often that the tape was slowly wearing out. I was greatly relieved when it came out on DVD, esp. the 2-DVD version which had a lot of the extras that U2/ZooTV fans would want. (BluRay, guys? ;))

If a BluRay does come out, I hope they will finally include this:

My favorite memory of this show has always been the beginning when Bono does those kicks.  It's iconic to rock and roll.  It will always be one of the coolest things I've ever seen.  The version of Running to Stand Still is my second favorite thing.  

10 hours ago, dmway said:

I watched that show so often that the tape was slowly wearing out.

Me too, I had to buy another one!

10 hours ago, Manohlive said:

The version of Running to Stand Still is my second favorite thing.  

Yes, best version ever. That entire sequence of Dirty Day / Bullet / RTSS / Streets is absolutely mindblowing.

14 hours ago, Manohlive said:

My favorite memory of this show has always been the beginning when Bono does those kicks.  It's iconic to rock and roll.  It will always be one of the coolest things I've ever seen.  The version of Running to Stand Still is my second favorite thing.  

Yes! Bono’s actions for most of the show were very well done - everything he did was effective.

4 hours ago, Canadanne said:

Me too, I had to buy another one!

Yes, best version ever. That entire sequence of Dirty Day / Bullet / RTSS / Streets is absolutely mindblowing.

Yes, I used to leave the videocassette right at the beginning of “Dirty Day” sometimes so I could revisit that section again and again! 😎 📼 

9 hours ago, Canadanne said:

20 hours ago, Canadanne said:

...and speaking of that part... :MacPhisto_05:

THAT is a masterful part of the show too! I had never seen a singer perform off-stage during a stadium show before, esp. during the part when he is putting on his makeup! 😆 (Something he revisits somewhat in his singing “The Fly” during the Paris i&e tour DVD.)

The DGPFYCC/Lemon/WOWY section is one of my favorite parts of the show too. The juxtaposition of MacPhisto performing WOWY I always find ironic and a bit jarring, but in a great way. The “Love Is Blindness”/CHFILWY closing section is just as effective too.

Just a great show from start to finish... 😎

1 hour ago, dmway said:

...and speaking of that part... :MacPhisto_05:

THAT is a masterful part of the show too! I had never seen a singer perform off-stage during a stadium show before, esp. during the part when he is putting on his makeup! 😆 (Something he revisits somewhat in his singing “The Fly” during the Paris i&e tour DVD.)

The DGPFYCC/Lemon/WOWY section is one of my favorite parts of the show too. The juxtaposition of MacPhisto performing WOWY I always find ironic and a bit jarring, but in a great way. The “Love Is Blindness”/CHFILWY closing section is just as effective too.

The entire encore is the greatest thing I've ever seen - what a performance, and what a rollercoaster of emotions. That version of With Or Without You is head and shoulders above any other, IMO; I wish they would play it that way again! Utter perfection. I still can't believe the notes he hits on CHFIL.