Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheFungusAmongus

U2 song of the day: Fez-Being Born

Lets do this regularly. We have this over at the Simple Minds board.. people post their SOTD.. be it Sminds or another band.. and why.. and it kinda fits thetheme of the day.. and people post their songs of the day. etc etc.

Kinda thinking on this one.

"Fez- Being Born".

Kind of been pondering the story behind this song.

Given the nature of the album, and the themes its following, and U2 mindset... I kinda see the song about someone who is finally finding "peace within thesound".. they finally have been let inside the sound... inner peace. the clarity they always longed for.

the lyrics may convey what ive seen some say, about.. being born, literally. i think its more than that. or about being "born again" religiously.. orspiritually in any sense.. but more so, being given a new appreciation for everything in life and themselves. just waking up, being reborn inside, and justseeing things in a different light and that refreshing feeling.

This album is more like U2 finding peace. After all of the trials and tribulations, pains, searching, questions... about love, self, religion, etc., in pastsongs and albums... this is the true "making peace" answer to all of them, kind of.

Panth and I were playing this song in the car this afternoon. with the car hood down and enjoying the nice warm air and sunset and just chatting away... and itwas the perfect song for the moment. Very peaceful, and serene. The whole album has that serenity.

Serenity.. and finding it.

And this album is the perfect theme for good changes in many listeners lives right now.. and I think its defininately some of u2's most beautiful work todate. The perfect soundtrack.

"Moment of Surrender"... is a close second to that emotion.

As i am writing this, i am listening to Fez for the first time, and i couldn't agree more with your description of Serenity. It has peace, love, freedom,relaxed anticipation. i am totallly proud of this song.

i think that U2 have done so well, this album is mature, i think that this is U2's coming out parade,so-to-speak. whichever way you want to take that,it's from that place where one feels comfortable and at one with themselves. When you know and love who you are. i can't wait to see u2 of the future,though, i'd be happy with listening to this album forever!

Let me in the sound ....let me in the sound.....voice in the background.... I ve lost the number of the times

i listened to the new album from the first song to the last ones.

Fez... being born is one of my favourite!

Great name Fungus...!

Fez is a track that most people will skim over first time round while chasing the 'stadium stompin' tunes, but I think that once revisited, in a timeof relaxation and peace, it quickly develops its own personality.

One of the best I agree - although I would see it beaten by a nose by Moment of Surrender.

zlatucka wrote:

As i am writing this, i am listening to Fez for the first time, and i couldn't agree more with your description of Serenity. It has peace, love, freedom, relaxed anticipation. i am totallly proud of this song.

i think that U2 have done so well, this album is mature, i think that this is U2's coming out parade,so-to-speak. whichever way you want to take that, it's from that place where one feels comfortable and at one with themselves. When you know and love who you are. i can't wait to see u2 of the future, though, i'd be happy with listening to this album forever!

when i hear this album, and that song, especially.. it kinda gives off that feeling that theres no end to the horizon, literally, and anythings possible andpush aside bullshit and just live and enjoy. now, if only some of us could take that own advice, hahahahahahaha. (yeah.. i seriously need to.)

What's up with the circus type music in the beginning. Sounds like some carnival tune.

Fez - Being Born is one of my favourite songs on the album.

And great to see another Simple Minds fan on this board. A very underrated band indeed.

interu2005 wrote:

Maybe this song want to be the place of Zoostation kind in this Tour

yeah, thats what i was thinking. they'll probably end up rotating between this, magnificent, and NLOTH... or blending em in leading into one another. nowthat'd be kinda cool. especially theme-wise. powerful build ala Zoo Station.

this stuff is gonna be fucking awesome live.

i dont think its gonna be as extreme as say.. zootv.. or pop.. but like a subtled down, more intimate ZooTV vs. Elevation kind of. Modern dayish.

Fez was definitely not the one that I skimmed over.For me on first listen it was THE stand out track. Had the beginning of a Portishead song then turned intothis wonderful luring magical tour of The Edge's guitar.What a wonderful mesmerising sound.Reminiscent of Unforgettable Fire for me.As have said inprevious post I think whole album is brilliant with its twist and turns but I am always drawn back to Fez!!

Cant wait for the tour!